Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 pm 

As far as popular music with lyrics goes, there's no doubt that romantic love, particularly heterosexual, is the most used lyrical theme, like the overwhelming majority of songs. This is due to a couple of factors, which involves the overglorification of romance and sexuality among society. Metal is one of the genres where romantic lyrics are used comparatively less, which I guess is part of the appeal to those who do not like this sort of oversaturation. Even then, many bands still sing about love or sex regardless of their persona (eg. Pantera and This Love), though they are often in the form of ballads.

Personally I don't mind the love theme when utilized properly. I think Kamelot, in spite of their more philosophical or mythological themes, does some of the best utilization of romantic lyrics, particularly with Roy and Tommy's vocal color and the utilization of instrumentals; one of my favorites being Lost and Damned, which has this romantic Parisian vibe going on thanks to the accordions. Some Sonata Arctica songs also apply. For a hard rocker, I Died for You by Iced Earth is a powerful romantic metal song.

I think one thing that I am especially fond about is the combination of fantasy or faux-history and romance, such as a mermaid falling in love with a human, a knight saving a princess locked in a castle by a dragon, or two evil wizards happily destroying villages for fun. I think this combination matches a particular aesthetic that I like. There's the obvious Faustian Epica/Black Halo concept albums I brought up before, as well as The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight by Blind Guardian and Lady Dragon by Dreamtale. A lot of the examples I've been giving so far are like power metal, but I know symphonic,trad, and gothic metal are full of these things as well. I think the combination with nature works too.

So what are your thoughts? What do you think of love songs in metal? When does it work and when does it not? What are some of your favorite love songs by metal bands, whether they are ballads or hard rockers?

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:25 pm 

Love songs are great when they are written in non-cheesy way. One of my favourites is "Shards of Love" by Woods of Ypres. It's not typical love song as it speaks of a man trying to save his dying relationship. When it gets to the "what about this? what about that?" part, almost every time I shed a tear.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm 

Just to make a debate out of the thread, I don't think metal is a good genre to make love songs. We are changing or trying to change the overwhelming male presence in the genre, most metal genres talk to the guys and guy's interests that aren't love/romance related. But if I had to choose, I think in the 80s glam metal ballads with stuff like Whitesnake was the closest we got to making love songs that resonated with both women and men.

But if you ask my opinion, if I wanted to listen to something romantic, I would listen to cumbia or music that is designed to talk about love and relationships. Maybe some soft rock style of music too, argentine rock like Charly García or Patricio Rey have a better understanding of this subject than bands of extreme metal or metal in general.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 pm 

Slayer's Necrophiliac is a love song.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:54 pm 

I don't mind love songs either in or outside of metal. Love is a relatable theme, and there is room in most musical genres to explore it, in my opinion. The fact that metal does it less, in general, compared to other musical genres, makes it interesting when metal bands try to tackle that theme specifically. Like yeah, I've heard a billion boring ass identical pop songs about love, I don't need more. However, if a metal band can sing about love in a compelling way, it can be very compelling.

For instance, I love Kalmah's Moon of My Nights. It's one of my all time favorite love songs, as it is a very passionnate song that expresss positive emotions regarding love, and it's not yet another ballad. Plus, the song is all around amazing riffing wise, and I love the vocal performance as usual with Kalmah:

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:29 pm 

Gothic metal touches on love, loss, romance and the like on a regular basis. I can't think of a Cradle of Filth album without some sort of twisted love song on it.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:25 pm 

Draconian's entire catalog comes to mind if you want heavy love songs.
Solid releases too.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Draconian/3666

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm 

Male-fronted goth metal bands are the only bands in the entire metal spectrum that can sing about love and sexuality without making me cringe too much. Type O Negative, Moonspell, Tiamat, Diabolique and even HIM. Perhaps because the vocalists sing like they're trying to seduce someone? Haha.

Gothic doom is great when talking about lost love, like the aforementioned Draconian or My Dying Bride, even if they tend to be very overwrought.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:19 am 

I've always thought that Iron Maiden's The Evil That Man Do is great example of metalized love theme...

Runner Up would be Sleeping (in the Fire) by WASP...

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:37 am 

I don't really pay too much attention to lyrics to be honest. Although I do appreciate when they are well written, if they're goofy or corny or whatever, it's not going to bother me much. I guess for me it's more about the delivery. If I think of something like I Will Build You a Rome by Cain's Offering, the lyrics are pretty standard for a love song, but the memorable melodies, general sense of euphoria, and lush layered vocal lines in the chorus are what make it work.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:37 pm 

Type O’s October Rust is the sexiest album evah.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:46 am 

greywanderer7 wrote:
Gothic doom is great when talking about lost love, like the aforementioned Draconian or My Dying Bride, even if they tend to be very overwrought.

..and Tristania ('Widow's Weeds') should be mentioned too.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:50 pm 

Lane wrote:
greywanderer7 wrote:

..and Tristania ('Widow's Weeds') should be mentioned too.

Also a fantastic album. Love the atmosphere and black metal touches.

Reply to topic