Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VikingWolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:43 pm 

Every now and then, I always enjoy watching a good metal documentary. (I think most people here are pretty familiar with Sam Dunn's stuff.) Anyone have a good one to share?

I really like this Belgian black metal documentary from 1998. What's really cool about it is that it's not a typical, objective documentary that tries to interview every pioneer band. Instead, it just passively films the on-goings at a show and gets a great inside perspective of the local black metal scene. (There's not a trace of one where I live, so it's an awesome sight for me.) Only problem is that half of it's not in English and there are no subtitles.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:37 pm 

Well, are you looking for documentaries about metal in general or a specific genre, or do you mind being recommended documentaries about specific bands?

Anyways, I would highly recommend checking out the Cannibal Corpse documentary, "Centuries of Torment". It's a really in-depth 3 hour documentary that basically shows all other documentaries how you're supposed to cover the history of a band. Also, Metal Blade is cool enough that they have the whole thing uploaded on their own channel on Youtube, so you don't have to worry about digging through random channels to find the whole thing.

Another one I suggest checking out is Sodom - Lords of Depravity Part 1. This is another lengthy documentary (3 hours 15 minutes), which covers the band's history from their start to the mid 90s. Unfortunately, Part 2 (which covers from where Part 1 left off to 2009) isn't uploaded on Youtube, so Part 1's all you've got to work with for now. But still, that's 3 hours just for one half, so it's not like you're getting the bare minimum.

VikingWolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:40 pm 

Thanks, I'll check those out.
It can be any of the three types you mentioned.

Reply to topic