Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nuclear-assault-to-release-new-studio-album-embark-on-final-assault/

Quote:
Veteran bassist Dan Lilker (BRUTAL TRUTH, NUCLEAR ASSAULT, ANTHRAX) has released the following statement:

"I'd like to bring everyone up to date on what's going on with NUCLEAR ASSAULT. First, though, let me clear up what's going on with my 'retirement.'

"Yes, BRUTAL TRUTH will be a done deal by the end of this year. With that will come a 'slower' phase in my musical career in that I won't be constantly touring like I have since the mid-'80s. I am simply scaling back what I'm doing so I can have a little more stability in my life, although I am still quite busy here at home with NOKTURNAL HELLSTORM (who just recorded our second album) and BLURRING (who are in the process of recording at this writing), and I still play in VENOMOUS CONCEPT (also recording for a new release).

"That brings us to NUCLEAR ASSAULT…

"In 2015, it will be 30 years since NUCLEAR ASSAULT solidified our lineup and started making a name for ourselves in the metal/crossover scene. To commemorate this, the band will write and record another album and play some shows for a 'Final Assault.' The live front will be of a limited nature due to the reality of people in the band having careers that they can't just walk away from for the time needed to go tour the world like we did in the '80s. Nevertheless, we will try to do whatever we can, especially in the summer, to get out there and thrash for everyone again. Progress on writing music will not go quickly due to a couple of facts; we are geographically challenged, so we can't just jam once a week like we used to, and we want to make sure that this album is really killer so we can go out with a big bang.

"That's all for now, stay tuned and more info on shows will be forthcoming at the appropriate time."

NUCLEAR ASSAULT released its first-ever DVD, "Louder Harder Faster", in October 2006 via Screaming Ferret Wreckords. Recorded during the band's performance at the 2005 Louder Harder Faster Festival (taped on June 5, 2005), the disc also includes such extra bits as vintage live footage, slide shows (put to the original "Survive" demos), music videos, in the studio footage, unreleased songs, and an interview with longtime members Danny Lilker and Glenn Evans.

Originally formed back in 1984, NUCLEAR ASSAULT bassist Lilker witnessed the birth of thrash metal first as an original member of ANTHRAX, as well as a crucial component to S.O.D., NUCLEAR ASSAULT and BRUTAL TRUTH.

While many thrash metal bands tempered their aggression with melody, NUCLEAR ASSAULT stuck to its guns throughout and in the process, released such thrash classics as 1988's "Survive" and 1989's "Handle with Care".

After an extended hiatus, the group returned in the early 21st century with its first new studio album in over a decade, 2005's "Third World Genocide".

Here's hoping they go out with a bang.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:42 am 

Re-union trend ah!

"You make it easy."

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 am 

I'll give the new album a go if/when it comes into the light of day. It'd be great if Lilker & the Assault crew would tour Australia.. But it will never happen. ENJOY! All you lucky bastards in the States!!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 am 

Third World Genocide wasn't as bad as people often make it out to be, but these guys deserve to go out with more of a bang than that. The feeling of them delivering a bunch of final shows because they feel that they "have to" feels a bit strange, but whatever. They were decent live around 2005-2006, I couldn't imagine that they have lost that much spring in their collective step since then.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 am 

Touring on Summer, 10th Hellfest anniversary, Lilker having played there several times before... Oh yeah, I can see where this is going! :love:

New album though, I don't know. I'd prefer if they changed their minds and provided an official reissue of Survive on CD.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:26 pm 

androdion wrote:
New album though, I don't know. I'd prefer if they changed their minds and provided an official reissue of Survive on CD.

I second this. Since it sounds unlikely that they're going to stop anywhere near me while doing this final tour, I'd much rather have some reissues of any of their albums that are hard to come by so I can at least continue to enjoy their music once it's all said and done.

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:36 pm 

Nuclear Assault was/were over years ago, I like the newer stuff and if I'm truthful Third World Genocide was the first album of theirs I bought :p

Yes you can email me about trades

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:23 am 

Oh man, I have both Survive and Handle With Care and they are the fuckin' tits, great thrash/crossover records. I heard Third World Genocide is pretty bad so I stayed away from it but I will probably check it out now that they are releasing a new album.

Hopefully it will kick as much ass as their records did in the 80's.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 am 

They will release new album? That's awesome, I'm surprised!

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:36 pm 

I'm willing to bet the new album will blow. It seems to me that they're really just doing all this to get it out of the way, with no real passion or effort behind the music. I'd love if they proved me wrong, but for right now I think I'm with the folks clamoring for a Survive reissue/remaster.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 am 

Come to Spain!

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:18 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
I'm willing to bet the new album will blow. It seems to me that they're really just doing all this to get it out of the way, with no real passion or effort behind the music. I'd love if they proved me wrong, but for right now I think I'm with the folks clamoring for a Survive reissue/remaster.

I actually agree. I'm usually optimistic about new albums from old bands, but the way this has been phrased makes it feel like they're doing it to get a few bucks and then call it a day. With that said, I will check out the album, and I hope they hit Wacken, as I've never had a chance to see them.

The Survive reissue is not going to happen. Maybe this is being done to gauge the interest in a Survive reissue, but there are plenty of claims online that it's going to cost six figures to license the album. I have no idea why that album is so expensive compared to other thrash records out there, but I don't think we'll ever see a reissue of it for that reason.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

I actually agree. I'm usually optimistic about new albums from old bands, but the way this has been phrased makes it feel like they're doing it to get a few bucks and then call it a day. With that said, I will check out the album, and I hope they hit Wacken, as I've never had a chance to see them.

The Survive reissue is not going to happen. Maybe this is being done to gauge the interest in a Survive reissue, but there are plenty of claims online that it's going to cost six figures to license the album. I have no idea why that album is so expensive compared to other thrash records out there, but I don't think we'll ever see a reissue of it for that reason.

According to Matt from Divebomb the band is contempt with having a digital version for sale, and they simply don't want to reissue it! I don't know where you got that six figure theory, which in all honesty sounds absolutely unrealistic. Like, six figures to license a metal album? Really?!

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm 

androdion wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

According to Matt from Divebomb the band is contempt with having a digital version for sale, and they simply don't want to reissue it! I don't know where you got that six figure theory, which in all honesty sounds absolutely unrealistic. Like, six figures to license a metal album? Really?!

This thread seems to suggest that six figures was the asking price a while ago, but the label may have budged. I'm still not sure about the legality of the digital reissue that occurred.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 pm 

I may or may not have mentioned this in a previous Nuclear Assault thread a while back, but Glenn Evans personally remastered all of the band's albums last year save for Something Wicked, including resequencing Third World Genocide. They're available to download through the usual suspects (iTunes, Google, Amazon) and I remember seeing them on CDBaby. I mention this because CDBaby is the only site of that group which offers a lossless download, and therefore currently might be the only means to have a "hard copy" of these versions of the albums. I'm a little suspicious about even that, however, because if they're only available to purchase as mp3s everywhere else and not even as CDs from the actual band, I doubt CDBaby of all places is offering the closest thing to a legitimate quality reissue that the fans want.

That thread on Ultimate Metal pretty much nails it about just how inept some bands are when it comes to this sort of thing because of a lack of savvy, too much pride, a combination of the two or something else altogether entirely. I mean, damn, if Aspid and Demilich and Electrocution among others can get it right... you know?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm 

So many good points were made in that Ultimate Metal thread, I want to high five J. Golden and Metalliced because the stuff they said in there is the same shit I say all the time when I discuss reissues with my friends ahaha.

ModusOperandi wrote:
I mean, damn, if Aspid and Demilich and Electrocution among others can get it right... you know?

Precisely! Must be a thing with American bands because based on those examples, non-Americans definitely know how to get shit done hahaha!

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 pm 

"digital reissue" ?! what is the world coming to :(

Yes you can email me about trades

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 am 

Thanks for the link Spiner202. ;)

Yeah, apart from the six figure thingy, which is new to me, it comes in line with what I had heard about the subject. It reminds me of how Monstrosity won't reissue Imperial Doom because it gives them too much trouble with the royalties... Some bands just seem like they don't care about these things anymore... :(

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:07 am 

Always interesting to hear the details and nitty-gritty of how the royalties, etc. work. It supposedly took Overkill twenty years to recoup on fucking Feel the Fire, which wasn't exactly a money dump. And according to Gustafson they still owe Atlantic something like $300k...

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Always interesting to hear the details and nitty-gritty of how the royalties, etc. work. It supposedly took Overkill twenty years to recoup on fucking Feel the Fire, which wasn't exactly a money dump. And according to Gustafson they still owe Atlantic something like $300k...

That's insane considering how successful Overkill has been. Far worse bands have been on Atlantic. I can only wonder how much a band like Wrathchild America would owe them if that's how this works.

Do you have a link where they mention the $300K figure? Never heard that before, but I'm really curious.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Do you have a link where they mention the $300K figure? Never heard that before, but I'm really curious.

He mentions it in this interview somewhere, and he also mentions that Elimination almost didn't make the cut for the years of decay. Worth a listen if you are a fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wWiooioFgA

Reply to topic