Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 pm 

Youtube: show

Sounds like Slayer, that's for sure. Not really sure how I feel about the song after just one listen, although the song really does end quite abruptly and without much impact. Kinda strange hearing a Slayer song without any kind of lead guitar whatsoever too.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

TrooperEd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 pm 

Didn't notice the lack of solo till you brought it up.

I give it a 7/10.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 pm 

I don't hate it but it goes nowhere and sounds like an introduction for like 3 minutes and then unleash some cool groovy riffs and ends abruptly like you said. Would had been cool if it was like 2 minutes longer, it seems unfinished. Tom's vocals are decent though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm - New podcast up!
Halberd (doom/death)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:02 pm 

Boring as shit. Implode was better than this, and that tune was underwhelming at best.
I would like to let you know that you have been reported, Diamhea. Reviews are not for you to interject, they're my personal thoughts on the album. Btw, nobody reads your reviews because they're pretty terrible themselves. Have a nice life,bitch

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:03 pm 

I don't wanna be that guy who says "hey what do you expect Slayer's sucked for the last fifteen years" but yeah, what do you expect Slayer's sucked for the last fifteen years.

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:04 pm 

I kinda like it. It could work fine on an album. But I think it's not really special as a standalone track.
Is it me or seems Araya's voice in its best shape since years? Sound really rough over my phone speakers. And the screams sound pretty good too.
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

DeadspeakNL OSDM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deadspeak/1380704462220853

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm 

Extend that to the past 20 because Diabolus In Musica was awful. There's scattered stuff across God Hates Us All, Christ Illusion, and World Painted Blood that I really, really like (Disciple and Hate Worldwide say hi), but we're all in agreement that their last two decades of stuff have been uniformly lame compared to the 80s albums and Seasons in the Abyss.

Divine Intervention rules too, and I'll hear no words defaming it.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

luismilanese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm 

Slayer's last decent effort was Divine Intervention. I don't know why I expect things will change every time Slayer releases another song.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm 

Man, that was fucking terrible. Sure, they did great things on the past but this? any modern thrash band does way, way better than this crap. No need to be so apologetic with Slayer whey have sucked in 20 years.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:50 pm 

As I said in the FFA it is as if they are trying to do another song like Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven. However, the buildup is the entire song almost, and as soon as they start to get going it ends.

Overall it is very boring, and forgettable.

Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:54 pm 

Came expecting mediocrity at best, was not disappointed. I agree with Diamhea: Implode was better, which doesn't say much about either track because Implode was pretty awful too. The build up was boring, the riffs were boring, even the lyrics are boring. Even run of the mill rethrash bands these days can do better than this.
I said, I just want to know you and then disappear.
you said, knowing me does not mean dying.

My (ever-shifting, constantly developing) top 100 album list

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:01 pm 

Yeah, not very good, but not terrible either. Another very average Slayer song. If the new album is as fun as WPB though, I wouldn't mind.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm 

Personally I thought they started to suck ever since South of Heaven. Was never a Slayer fan in the first place though and this doesn't brighten my opinion of them at all.

luismilanese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm 

If you think about it, 2/3 of the Slayer lifespan was of shitty works. They had better stop it before this proportion turns into 3/4 of their career.

hots_towel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Didn't notice the lack of solo till you brought it up.

I give it a 7/10.
RIB had like two tracks that had no solos on them. I think a few more songs across other albums had no lead work also.

but still, this song does nothing for me. and like everyone else i consider their last good album to be Seasons.

I can't see anyone being super enthusiastic about this other than people who have been into slayer for a month, or the people who have "slayer" carved into their bodies somewhere.

Last edited by hots_towel on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 pm 

Diamhea pretty much summed it up perfectly. Song's a total snoozefest.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:37 pm 

New song is super meh. I don't know why they go for these slow build-up songs when they're known for being a fast thrash band. I suppose it's worked a couple times in the past, but if you're going to have a lengthy build-up, make sure you don't forget to deliver some pay-off. This song just goes nowhere. They've done worse, but this isn't good.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm 

luismilanese wrote:
If you think about it, 2/3 of the Slayer lifespan was of shitty works. They had better stop it before this proportion turns into 3/4 of their career.

2/3 of their material was shit yet people still seem to kiss their ass. To be fair though thrash bands generally were not very consistent but when over half of your discography is trash I have a hard time feeling respect even if the good stuff was great.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:48 pm 

why was that first intro there? it just stopped after a bit. even had the "intro cymbals" going then just cut out and went to intro #2 anyway. it's got a good, full sound on my headphones though. it sounds like one of the slower tracks on diabolus in musica in the riffs, which is a step up from the last 2-3 albums they've done. but it's an absolute songwriting disaster - it's like the same guy that puts together modern metallica songs pasted these riffs together at half the song length. this is an album teaser track, not an actual song.... surely.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:52 pm 

extremely generic and lifeless.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 pm 

Mr_TagoMago wrote:
luismilanese wrote:

2/3 of their material was shit yet people still seem to kiss their ass. To be fair though thrash bands generally were not very consistent but when over half of your discography is trash I have a hard time feeling respect even if the good stuff was great.

i can't be arsed doing the maths on it, but imo here's how i'd break it down:
show no mercy - south of heaven, divine intervention: A+, classic or near-classic material
seasons in the abyss, diabolus in musica: just *good*, with the exception of seasons' title track, which may be their best song.
god hates us all onwards: put "bloodline" and "disciple" in *good*, file the rest under "forget this exists"

not including the live album or punk covers album for obvious reasons. but despite their last 15 years being rubbish, slayer still have a lot more good to great material than almost all the other thrash bands. metallica has them beat imo, and i'm sure a lot of people will cry overkill (they always do, though i don't see it) but as far as volume of good output goes, slayer's about as good as it gets.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm 

I think Christ Illusion was the last album Slayer actually wanted to make. I'm pretty sure before WPB they debated whether or not they should do another album; I think that was also around the time Jeff started having health issues and didn't really have his heart in the band anymore (probably with one foot approaching the grave). Listening to songs like this and Implode, it just painfully sounds like a tired band trying to remember how they pulled it off in their hey-day. I mean, I understand that for Kerry King and Araya, Slayer has been their full-time job for basically their whole lives and it must seem inconceivable for them to imagine life without the band, but I really, really wish they split up after Hanneman's death.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 pm 

Turner wrote:

i can't be arsed doing the maths on it, but imo here's how i'd break it down:
show no mercy - south of heaven, divine intervention: A+, classic or near-classic material
seasons in the abyss, diabolus in musica: just *good*, with the exception of seasons' title track, which may be their best song.
god hates us all onwards: put "bloodline" and "disciple" in *good*, file the rest under "forget this exists"

not including the live album or punk covers album for obvious reasons. but despite their last 15 years being rubbish, slayer still have a lot more good to great material than almost all the other thrash bands. metallica has them beat imo, and i'm sure a lot of people will cry overkill (they always do, though i don't see it) but as far as volume of good output goes, slayer's about as good as it gets.

Couldn't disagree more tbh. Then again I thought South of heaven was garbage and Reign in blood was just alright. Really just liked the first two albums and ep. Also completely dumbfounded as to how Metallica has at all been consistent. Personally I only liked RTL but even if you think the first four albums are great everything since has been either garbage or mediocre. Its like ST anger was embarrassing enough but then they team up with Lou Reed and give us Lulu the ultimate pile of shit. Even though thrash bands generally aren't that consistent they rarely if ever make something that ludicrously awful.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm 

Regardless of your personal opinions, everything from their debut up to RIB is stone classic. South of Heaven and Seasons are very highly regarded too. That's enough reason for most to give a shit or kiss their ass, is all I'm saying. I don't really like Seasons much, personally, so eh, but even so.

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm 

Man that was terrible up until that last section which sounded ok.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinions, everything from their debut up to RIB is stone classic. South of Heaven and Seasons are very highly regarded too. That's enough reason for most to give a shit or kiss their ass, is all I'm saying. I don't really like Seasons much, personally, so eh, but even so.

Just because its considered classic doesn't mean its actually good though I mean I'd hate to think metalheads are all just sheep who just follow popular opinion and can't think for their selves. Not saying people can't like Slayer that would be silly its just that as far as I can see it most of Slayers popularity is based on reputation more than the actual quality of their output. Isn't that mentality kinda against what thrash was about anyway?

Ancient_Mariner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:46 pm 

I expect mediocre albums from Slayer these days and think they haven't put out a really good album since Divine, World Painted Blood was just OK. But to me Slayer is Show No Mercy through Seasons and thats enough legendary albums to get one a big rep and deservedly so.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 pm 

Mr_TagoMago wrote:
Just because its considered classic doesn't mean its actually good though I mean I'd hate to think metalheads are all just sheep who just follow popular opinion and can't think for their selves. Not saying people can't like Slayer that would be silly its just that as far as I can see it most of Slayers popularity is based on reputation more than the actual quality of their output. Isn't that mentality kinda against what thrash was about anyway?

ah but maybe it's considered classic because it's, you know, fucking good?
i'd agree more that people listen to their newer output because of sustained popularity, but south of heaven and earlier? no chance.
i don't know your story, but a lot of the time metalheads that draw the line before RIB do it for largely non-musical reasons - it's become "big label metal" or some other vague ideological criticism. and that's just as bad as listening to every new slayer album until you love it just because it's slayer.

luismilanese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:58 pm 

Mr_TagoMago wrote:
luismilanese wrote:

Yeah, bro, I very much understand and feel about the same as you do. It's just that the Slayer records that I like, I like 'em very much. So I rather keep some respect for what they were. I feel the same about Sepultura, which hasn't released anything but pure thrash since Arise.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:02 pm 

I draw the line sorta at RiB because everything after is imho just not as good, but its still worthwhile and more than listenable. If i feel like slayer i just rather would put on hell awaits.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:09 pm 

Mr_TagoMago wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Well, no, being classic doesn't mean you have to think it's good or listen to it much or anything like that. I just think some young guys, like 16-18, go into those old Slayer, Morbid Angel, etc albums after hearing Immolation, later Nile, or whatever else, and think everything has to sonically be that brutal or heavy or technical, and so they retroactively go "this is IT?" and try and act like it isn't a classic. I don't really think Hell Awaits is as good as the albums before and after it either, and like I said, I never thought Seasons was very good. But I'm not going to pretend like I don't see why people regarded those albums as classics. There's a difference between not liking an album and trying to rewrite history. Not saying you specifically are doing that, but I just had to say this.

And bands don't have to have a spotless discography to be absolutely beloved - a few 100%, classic albums is all it takes, or sometimes even just one like with Jag Panzer for instance. Quality over quantity, ya know. But peoples' mileage will vary on that.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm 

Turner wrote:
Mr_TagoMago wrote:

ah but maybe it's considered classic because it's, you know, fucking good?
i'd agree more that people listen to their newer output because of sustained popularity, but south of heaven and earlier? no chance.
i don't know your story, but a lot of the time metalheads that draw the line before RIB do it for largely non-musical reasons - it's become "big label metal" or some other vague ideological criticism. and that's just as bad as listening to every new slayer album until you love it just because it's slayer.

Just gonna come out and say I pay no attention to labels at all. In fact I'm pretty ignorant on the matter of labels. I hated South of heaven largely do to the vocals which were irritating imo and personally found it quite underwhelming instrumentally. Didn't they recycle the raining blood riff on two songs as well? I just never got big into the band too many others I found more interesting and enjoyable.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Well, no, being classic doesn't mean you have to think it's good or listen to it much or anything like that. I just think some young guys, like 16-18, go into those old Slayer, Morbid Angel, etc albums after hearing Immolation, later Nile, or whatever else, and think everything has to sonically be that brutal or heavy or technical, and so they retroactively go "this is IT?" and try and act like it isn't a classic. I don't really think Hell Awaits is as good as the albums before and after it either, and like I said, I never thought Seasons was very good. But I'm not going to pretend like I don't see why people regarded those albums as classics. There's a difference between not liking an album and trying to rewrite history. Not saying you specifically are doing that, but I just had to say this.

And bands don't have to have a spotless discography to be absolutely beloved - a few 100%, classic albums is all it takes, or sometimes even just one like with Jag Panzer for instance. Quality over quantity, ya know. But peoples' mileage will vary on that.

Just to clarify it has nothing to do with brutality my favorite artists are like Can, The Residents, Brian Eno, Magma, and Kraftwerk but I also love shit like Hanatarash and Hijokaiden. To me its about creativity and good song writing as well as having a good sound but I also like balls to the wall raw thrash like right now I'm listening to Voivods 1984 to the death demo (Snakes vocals sound so much better on here than on the studio albums wtf?). But yeah my issue with Slayer though was they never did much to stand out for me of course again I thought Show no mercy was one of the best thrash debuts.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:28 pm 

Would've worked OK for other bands but certainly not for Slayer. It builds up nicely and probably makes sense in an album's context, but if it isn't going a hundred miles an hour and soloing like a motherfucker, it's not a good Slayer song.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:32 pm 

song was nothing to write home about but wasn't terrible either. The clean vocals sounded weird to me, not like Tom at all. It reminded me a bit of their "South of Heaven" material, heavy but not necessarily thrashy, only for some reason this song didn't stick with me as much- and I liked "South of Heaven." As far as their discography- some of it I love, some of it I find boring and redundant, but this song leans more towards the latter, sadly.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm 

I actually enjoyed the intro. I agree that is sounded like an attempt to fit on a South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss album, but the difference is that an old Slayer song would have picked up speed at some point and turned into a head-bangable rhythm. This was just the same chord profession abused with different ornamentation for four minutes. Definitely underwhelming, although, at the same time, my standards weren't too high to begin with.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 pm 

I like it. Reminds me of Diabolus In Musica, which I enjoyed, but I love anything Slayer. They could put out a CD with the band's shit mixed together and smeared on the top and bottom of the disc, and I would somehow enjoy it. Might be a tumour.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 pm 

Before you see the light, you must diiiiiiiiii—Oh, wait. No, thank you.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 pm 

wow, you guys really weren't kidding when you said the whole song was just a intro...

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 pm 

Yeah that pretty much just felt incomplete. The chorus riff was okay but the rest was mediocre and I pretty much zoned out towards the end and lost interest.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next