Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 pm 

Excited for these guys joining a bigger label, and stoked as hell for the follow-up to Formulas. Supposedly it's coming as soon as April.

Quote:
We are very pleased to announce that we have signed a worldwide deal with Century Media Records. Our journey has been slow but steady, but it is now time for us to stretch our black wings further throughout the world and we are sure that Century Media Records is the label that can help us do that. In early December we will once again enter the studio, this time to record our third album. We have covered ourselves in the darkness of the divine and the ghastly and have emerged with something that we truly believe in. Though it is an album that is in every inch TRIBULATION, expect nothing and let the music take you to the unexpected. It is a journey in its own right, for us to travel with the music that we make and at each turn it takes we are closing in on a goal that is hopefully forever out of our reach. Thus, we now prepare to die to let a new shape of the vampyre return in 2015."

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 am 

April? I wasn't expecting a new album that soon! I'll be looking forward to it.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 am 

Coincidentally cranked Formulas an hour ago, it's solid allright. Looking forward to the next one.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:33 pm 

Heard these guys for the first time not long ago when the Cannibal Corpse/Behemoth tour was announced. Hopefully their new album is more like their first.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:53 pm 

Color me cautiously optimistic. The Formulas of Death is so good that it worries me they'll never be able to touch that level of greatness again. I'm hoping they tighten up just a bit, but keep the same "anything goes" mentality.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:21 pm 

I had never heard of these guys until I saw them open for Watain. Checked out Formulas of Death and was blown away. They played a fantastic set live and I'm kicking myself for only discovering them after the fact.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:42 pm 

They were easily the highlight of that tour. Check out their debut as well, it's completely different than Formulas but almost as incredible.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 am 

weird century media? looking forward to it, both of their full lengths rule.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 am 

I'm glad in the sense that the gap between the first two albums was so long and with so little news. This suggests they'll be a little more active. Formulas is such a strange album that I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm 

I'm skeptical since Century Media will likely fluff it up with a modern clean production etc.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:37 pm 

As much as I'm always somewhat wary when an up-and-coming band gets signed to a big label like CM, Nuclear Blast or something, they do seem to be gravitating towards more traditional metal styles in recent years and they're actually signing upstart bands now, so that's a nice trend. Tribulation really made some rounds with Formulas of Death and stumbled onto a pretty novel formula, this was a pretty good move on Century Media's part signing the band.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:47 pm 

I'm interested to see if CM will have any impact on their next record. I'm hoping it's not negative. I still like their older material far more. But that last album was good as well.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:07 pm 

Century Media didn't fluff up Morbus Chron's record. I highly doubt they'll do the same here. They know who the people who are buying Tribulation records.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:03 pm 

I hope to see their new album being more like their old material too. Not that The Formulas of Death wasn't great, but the previous album was so brilliant that would be hard to top it.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:53 am 

Awesome. Both their albums are great, looking forward to the new one.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:50 pm 

They just announced a 7" to be released on February 2nd with two new tracks. Also, the new album will be called The Children Of The Night. Still no released date, Century Media says "expected in April".

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:01 am 

why anyone would be excited by a band signing to a big label is beyond me, they're graveyards of talent.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:58 am 

bug_man wrote:
why anyone would be excited by a band signing to a big label is beyond me, they're graveyards of talent.

It worked well with Morbus Chron, so let's give them a try :-)

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:57 pm 

bug_man wrote:

Bigger label = bigger recording budget, more and better tours, more exposure. Why anyone wouldn't want that for a band they like is beyond me.

(I will admit the one downside to joining CM is they are one of those labels who doesn't allow their releases on Bandcamp. Fuck labels who do that.)

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 pm 

Bigger recording budget is not always a good thing, in my opinion. But I expect Tribulation to keep their wits about them and stay true to their vision. I love the album title, and I'll probably end up driving a few hours to Indianapolis just to catch their short set. The rest of that tour looks unbelievably awful. I don't have a record player but I want that 7"!!

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:16 pm 

Youtube: show

New song they've been opening, named something something gateways.

Very excited for this. If there was ever any doubt that Zaars was in Ghost though......

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm 

Just interviewed Zaars on the bus last night, super awesome dude. Had no idea about the Ghost connection, although he did seem extremely knowledgeable about touring the States on supposedly his second time here... he also talked about heavy metal and working a lot with the guys from Enforcer... shit now I have to go home and transcribe and see if there were any other hints.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 pm 

Doesn't really sound like The Formulas (maybe due to the mix) and definitely not The Horror, but it's great though.

Seems they can do no wrong whatever style they incorporate, I find they have this transfixing allure to their music.

Ritual_Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:44 pm 

New song here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... -the-dead/

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 pm 

Ritual_Suicide wrote:

FUCK... ME... :o

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm 

Nice....

double nice....

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 pm 

Definitely lighter in tone. Great solo though.

I've always thought this band to be a spiritual successor to later Edge of Sanity.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:07 pm 

Master_Debater wrote:
I've always thought this band to be a spiritual successor to later Edge of Sanity.

I fail to see (or hear) the connection. It's a fact that they've taken a massive amount of progressive elements into their music, but it all seems to be more from a rock-oriented perspective. Now I'm not saying that they're not a metal band anymore, that would be ludicrous, but given the way they've written their songs over the past couple of years I don't understand the connection you're making. EOS had, from a certain point onwards, an overt rock influence indeed, but that was more like some shades of goth rock that this prog/psych thing that Tribulation seem to be doing. I can somehow understand where you're coming with that reasoning but I guess I just don't think that connection exists.

It's funny how much I enjoyed the new song, given how bloated I thought the prior album to be. In fact I just went on and listened to it again and I still maintain my opinion that it has great ideas that just aren't quite there in terms of execution. Like taking a step bigger than the leg. Maybe this third album is capable of averting that and actually delivering the goods for real?! At least if that advance single is any indication I'd say they're on to something.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:43 pm 

Huh. I don't know. It's a good song but I'm not blown away by it. Yet. The song that got posted a couple of days ago (the live performance) sounded much better to me. Androdion's first "fuck me" reaction was pretty much my reaction when I first heard the first released song from the prior album.

Disclaimer: I listened to the song again after writing this. Already liking it more.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm 

I don't know man, that song sounds like they took the ideas they had for Formulas and made it work, know what I mean?! The song is incredibly catchy in its simplicity, the riffs are pretty cool, and it just flows in a way that was only found at spaces in Formulas. Hence me thinking this may mean they're "getting there" with this new album.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how that works out in the end. :)

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:11 pm 

I think that is what's bothering me slightly. The simplicity. The thing I love about Formulas is it's massive scope. So much is happening on that album during it's ridiculously long running time. But it works. It's like a giant frigging candy box filled with great ideas and unforgettable moments. It never gets boring for me. The new song just hasn't got that same scope or grandeur. More focused? Probably. More streamlined? Also probably. I'm not giving up hope though. I still really love that first live song.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:24 pm 

the new song actually reminds me to the latest in solitude album.

into_the_pit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Century Media didn't fluff up Morbus Chron's record. I highly doubt they'll do the same here. They know who the people who are buying Tribulation records.

isn't it still the guy who ran DETEST RECORDS that signs those death metal bands for CM? cause if he is, he is doing a great job for the bands. CM was a massive player in death metal in the 90's.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
I think that is what's bothering me slightly. The simplicity. The thing I love about Formulas is it's massive scope. So much is happening on that album during it's ridiculously long running time. But it works. It's like a giant frigging candy box filled with great ideas and unforgettable moments. It never gets boring for me. The new song just hasn't got that same scope or grandeur. More focused? Probably. More streamlined? Also probably. I'm not giving up hope though. I still really love that first live song.
It's technically fine and a perfectly alright song but nothing too memorable, seems to lack the spark that The Formulas had. I really do hope there's still a semblance of thrash on the new album and Formulas wasn't the last whimper of it.

AnomanderRake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 am 

I just listened to this track three times in a row and I am going full fanboy right now. I love Formulas a great deal and this seems to tread even further into the darkness that album conveyed, which is something I am absolutely in love with. I think this album is the one I am most looking forward to this year.

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 am 

Uh-oh, I think Tribulation are about to go full hipster on this one.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:22 am 

From now on I'm gonna regard the term "full hipster" as the name of a sex position. Cause I really don't know what it's supposed to mean in musical terms. Especially not when talking about Tribulation.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:28 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Yeah, I can understand that sentiment. :)

Seriously though, what's with the "hipster vs true" sentiment that sometimes arises in these threads?! Gee...

Paninaro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 am 

This is so catchy. Great classic-sounding lead guitars.

I kinda wish the vocalist were more theatrical or melodic, maybe. He's not much of a presence.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

isn't it still the guy who ran DETEST RECORDS that signs those death metal bands for CM? cause if he is, he is doing a great job for the bands. CM was a massive player in death metal in the 90's.

No it isn't. Besides, cm is only finding bands that were signed to smaller labels that built up a nice buzz. Nothing magical about it.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next