Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am 

DestruicaoMetalica wrote:
Jagged wrote:
Burial

I'm so extremely excited for this, Relinquished Souls being one of my favorite old school death metal albums. Anyone who hasn't listened to it before needs to now.

Completely seconded. This album (and their demo) are both quite great. I'll be sure to get the reissue.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 am 

Iggnsthe wrote:
I'm so extremely excited for this, Relinquished Souls being one of my favorite old school death metal albums. Anyone who hasn't listened to it before needs to now.

Completely seconded. This album (and their demo) are both quite great. I'll be sure to get the reissue.

I thought it was average when I first heard it and now I'm giving it another try and my opinion is about the same. Vocals, guitar tone, riffing, drumming, production, album cover, pretty much in every way it's your average 1990s death metal.

Anybody into this band?:

This is a 1992 split featuring the Swedish Altar and the Finnish Cartilage, and it's the latter of the two I'm referring to. I'm sure this band has been mentioned in this thread (I might have on the first few pages), but they deserve another mention (and if you're unfamiliar with them, they deserve your attention). Most of you know Finnish bands are the best at creating an otherworldly/obscure atmosphere, and I've always felt this band did that the best. After a few listens to their songs I wouldn't be surprised if you found them stuck in your head days afterwards. There are few death metal bands that write songs so good that I feel like listening to them two or three times in a row, and every Cartilage song on this split is worthy of that in my opinion. The drummer is fucking fantastic, and the riffing is truly unique.

"The Underworld"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNmhAhfXHg

"Consanguine to Understanding"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxHlhtCLM8

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm 

Jagged wrote:
Just in case any of you guys is interested...

I've just put out this:

Image Image
Original cover art (left)
Reissue cover art (right)

MANGLED TORSOS - Drawings of the Dead CD [MEMENTO-VIII]
Official reissue of their debut full-length, originally released on Morbid Records in 1994, slightly remastered for an even more pleasurable listening experience and featuring their "Anatomia Reformata" EP as bonus tracks. Thick, gruesome Death Metal with a distinctively bizarre, surreal and decadent atmosphere comprised of slow-to-mid paced passages and grinding overtones sublimated by some gargling, guttural vocals, like the impossible combination of early Pungent Stench, diSEMBOWELMENT and Demilich. The 12-page booklet features a brand new cover art & layout by Patrick Wentz, the band's drummer.

Feel free to visit http://www.memento-mori.es for further info on other available or upcoming reissue CD's (Centinex, Acrostichon, Burial, Sempiternal Deathreign, Mourning...).

Hey Jagged interested in ordering the Mangled Torsos release along with a couple of other things off of your site, but I am little confused on how to place an order on your website. I can't find a shopping basket anywhere. Let me know. Sorry for the post hijack guys!

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm 

Iggnsthe wrote:

The reissue CD will feature the "Frigid cold" demo as bonus tracks :)
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:56 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Jagged wrote:

I've just put out this:

Image Image
Original cover art (left)
Reissue cover art (right)

Official reissue of their debut full-length, originally released on Morbid Records in 1994, slightly remastered for an even more pleasurable listening experience and featuring their "Anatomia Reformata" EP as bonus tracks. Thick, gruesome Death Metal with a distinctively bizarre, surreal and decadent atmosphere comprised of slow-to-mid paced passages and grinding overtones sublimated by some gargling, guttural vocals, like the impossible combination of early Pungent Stench, diSEMBOWELMENT and Demilich. The 12-page booklet features a brand new cover art & layout by Patrick Wentz, the band's drummer.

Feel free to visit http://www.memento-mori.es for further info on other available or upcoming reissue CD's (Centinex, Acrostichon, Burial, Sempiternal Deathreign, Mourning...).

Hey Jagged interested in ordering the Mangled Torsos release along with a couple of other things off of your site, but I am little confused on how to place an order on your website. I can't find a shopping basket anywhere. Let me know. Sorry for the post hijack guys!

Hey there mate, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll get that sorted ;)

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 pm 

Jagged, Email sent through your store front.

Seventy_Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:47 pm 

With all the reissue talk going on, does anyone know if there is a reissue of "Jumping Jesus - The Art of Crucifying"?

brongersmai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 pm 

I know you can pick up the original press of the LP at a fairly good price still $20-$30,I watched it go for $12 on e-bay not too long ago.
Don't know about the cd
Seventy_Nine wrote:
With all the reissue talk going on, does anyone know if there is a reissue of "Jumping Jesus - The Art of Crucifying"?

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 pm 

Seventy_Nine wrote:

Yep that album needs serious reissuing.
brongersmai wrote:
I know you can pick up the original press of the LP at a fairly good price still $20-$30,I watched it go for $12 on e-bay not too long ago.
Don't know about the cd

Really I never find it anywhere, not on Distros, not on Amazon, Ebay nothing, and I look frequently. There is a cool Jumpin Jesus button on Ebay right now for 4 dollars though.

Speaking of reissuing (hint hint OGMetal or Jagged)
Nembrionic - Pyscho One Hundred is an album that needs serious reissuing. That album is sick. Since it was mentioned about 17 pages ago no harm in putting a pic of it up (it's such a wonderful cover as well).

Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm 

mantalord wrote:
Disaffected - Vast

To me this is a Death Metal classic. More outstanding due to the fact that this band hails from Portugal, a country not well known for its Death Metal scene, outside of bands like Gangrena and Desire, ofcourse.

What we have here is very atmospheric, crushing/heavy, and technical Death Metal. All mixed so well together the final result is breathtaking. Something like Atheist and Unanimated, sharing ideas and then putting an album together. Truly great stuff in Disaffected's Vast.

Supposedly they have a new album coming out later this year.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am 

How about some massacra? This band kicks ass!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epnOR7nklM

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:41 am 

Cyberwave wrote:
Supposedly they have a new album coming out later this year.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for that album since they've announced it back in... September 2010!

Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 am 

Find the Way... Together by Etherial. From 1995, the only full length the band recorded. All the tracks and lyrics have a romantic tinge to them, and with a name like Etherial Winds, I thought it would be some Gothic Metal band. It's actually pretty good death doom metal from the Netherlands though. Mournful and longing.

Maze of Doom by Great Sorrow. Their first album from 1993, they're a Russian band still active apparently. I haven't really heard much of this album yet, it's not on YouTube for one thing. It's fairly good death doom metal again.

Mélancolie Obsessionnelle by Melem. French death and doom metal. They recorded their first demo in 1994 and released their debut in 1997 and have split up since then. The album has some nice acoustic passages here and there and some pianos and synths in the metal as well. There's a little trash and slight black metal influences scattered around too.

A time the World Forgot by Nuctemeron. Great death and doom metal from the US with some grindcore influences. Production and vocals are murky, sounds pretty nice. I'm pretty sure this album came out in 1994, but I think it's gotten a reissue or two in more recent years.

Traumatic... by Traumatic Voyage. First album by this German band, from 1992. It's got a lot of influences ranging from death, black, thrash, progressive, and sounds a bit experimental too. Kind of in a chaotic, but appealing way. I'm not a huge fan of the guitar sound, but it's still a really kickass album. Traumatic Voyage is still active and released an album last year too.

Don't think any of these have been posted.

Last edited by Cyberwave on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:55 am 

EVILBAD666 wrote:
RZris wrote:
i had wondered if this had been mentioned, like so many other favorites of mine that i have seen here. kinda surprised it wasn't, kinda not

Ha, I should show "The Abominable" to my father its based on a movie he likes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBo0H3oYSoo

Also glad to see Rottrevore was mentioned here, I have Iniquitous on vinyl, personally my favorite Death Metal album. I have yet to find anything come close to it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:34 am 

The Animator wrote:
Also glad to see Rottrevore was mentioned here, I have Iniquitous on vinyl, personally my favorite Death Metal album. I have yet to find anything come close to it.

Have you heard Miasma from Austria? Their album Changes is close to Iniquitous in style and brutality.

Also, Cyberwave, could you give some small description on the albums you posted please?

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:47 am 

Fear Ritual - Fear Ritual (1995)

Well okay, this is a three track EP but it's pretty impressive Deicide worship. The third track mixes a bit of death/doom into the mix too, and is probably my favourite on the disc.

Fear Ritual - Weeping Death
Fear Ritual - Eternity's Defy

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:36 pm 

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 pm 

joppek wrote:
retarded image

No thanks. But yes, I concur that this thread has introduced me to a lot of awesome bands and is thus very awesome itself.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 am 

what are you, too trve kvlt for kittens?

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 am 

Even Obituary loves Kittens. My cat loves Suffocation.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 pm 

Just rediscovered the Eternal Solstice / Mourning split.

I think many people are aware of Eternal Solstice, but Mourning remain fairly unknown. They were an excellent death/doom band from The Netherlands. Here's a sample-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FWf4r-5TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMV1pogHzek&feature=related

Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm 

This thread is really great, let's keep it going! Here's some Finnish death metal. Grey Misery by Disgrace. I believe the band was mentioned earlier, but not this album, which is really good in my opinion.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:28 pm 

Cyberwave wrote:
This thread is really great, let's keep it going! Here's some Finnish death metal. Grey Misery by Disgrace. I believe the band was mentioned earlier, but not this album, which is really good in my opinion.

Fuck yes. Just dug this one out this morning.

Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am 

Here's another pretty good album I don't think anyone mentioned. Black Art by Mental Home. It's very amazing death doom metal with a progressive black metal edge. Melodic, well produced, and even has some touches of gothic and dark metal. For doom metal it's not as soul crushing as most albums, and the music has somewhat of a hypnotic quality to it at times. I fell in love with it within a couple listens, but I've heard some people say it's a grower. Pretty good stuff! From 1999, they were a Russian band. It's their third album, and the previous one from 1996, Vale, is also very good.

Pepsiman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 am 

Cadaver - In Pains (1992). Here's a sample track.

Someone mentioned this band's debut (Hallucinating Anxiety) earlier in the thread. I haven't listened to that, but this is some excellent death-doom with some very twisted riffs. It also has some fast, tremelo-picked sections similar to contemporary black metal, and occasional cello embellishments.

Out of the stuff I remember seeing earlier in the thread, I can vouch for Brutality, Sinister, Septic Flesh (Temple of the Lost Race is a great bit of early atmospheric death metal) and Phlebotomized; see their respective posts for justifications. I might add Orphaned Land's debut, Sahara to that list, but I'm not sure it's obscure enough, or death metal enough.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:25 am 

Jagged wrote:

I've just put out this:

Just placed my order for this and Atrocity - Hallucinations. Thanks Jagged, I'll def. be doing some more shopping at your distro in the near future, lots of killer stuff there!

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 pm 

Cheers for your support, mate!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 pm 

Def will be ordering from you very soon.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 pm 

Cyberwave wrote:
Maze of Doom by Great Sorrow. Their first album from 1993, they're a Russian band still active apparently. I haven't really heard much of this album yet, it's not on YouTube for one thing. It's fairly good death doom metal again.

Will check this out just for the artwork.

Also, how is Mangled Torsos' other album? I know they have one more, but I don't know anything about it.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

Cover looks like its gonna be some kind of spacey death metal but to me its really dark sludgey dense death metal like Incantation

havent seen it on any of the pages ive been through

For those of you who don't browse the trading forum often, I have a slightly damaged copy of the 1st press cd of Detest for sale or possible trade (for similar music). The 'damage' is that it skips for a few seconds during the first track, which is just an intro (nothing that prevent the cd from playing though), and the previous owner stamped name and address inside the booklet (not on top of any lyrics or artwork).
Any offer is welcome, contact me if interested.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 pm 

Sorry if this has been posted before. There's quite a lot of pages to listen to and I'm only on page 4!

Evocation - Evocation

Compilation of two demos from 92. Swedish DM that has some nice melodic touches. If you're into stuff like early Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Necrophoibc etc you should give this a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGrsjRTSe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHlT9aCPz4

Spirits
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 am 

How about Phossatery?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbmr3Lu-Nec

Only song I could find off youtube, has a good grind sound but remains death metal intact.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:10 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted before. There's quite a lot of pages to listen to and I'm only on page 4!

Evocation - Evocation

Compilation of two demos from 92. Swedish DM that has some nice melodic touches. If you're into stuff like early Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Necrophoibc etc you should give this a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGrsjRTSe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHlT9aCPz4

I'm all over this one. I like Evocation.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
joppek wrote:
retarded image

No thanks. But yes, I concur that this thread has introduced me to a lot of awesome bands and is thus very awesome itself.

Just remember, if that cat was big enough it would eat you.

I's like to throw in Therion's debut "Of Darkness". The band is very symphonic nowadays, but their debut is pure Swedish Death Metal. Excellent guitar tone and riffing. Their second one is pretty good to.

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am 

To whom it may concern...

OUT NOW ON MEMENTO MORI
www.memento-mori.es

BURIAL - Relinquished Souls CD [MEMENTO-IX]
Official reissue of this Death Metal masterpiece from the Netherlands, originally released through West Virginia Records back in 1993, and featuring the “Frigid Cold” demo (1992) as bonus tracks for a total of 13 songs. A crushing and devastating old school Death Metal feast that’s aggressive, but also catchy, with fantastic riffs, wonderfully growled vocals and killer ideas that will appeal to any fan of such bands as Massacre, Death, Morgoth or Pestilence.
It’s a real shame that such a monster of an album passed through almost unnoticed back then and nowadays is so hard -and expensive- to get anywhere, so this re-release is the greatest chance for both new listeners and old fans to grab a copy for a very reasonable price!!!
Also available as a limited and especially priced CD + T-SHIRT pack soon!!!

Cheers to all!!

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:21 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Newish Polish band out called Throneum, they know how to play. Deathmass of the Gravedancer is a sick album. Slugathor are pretty sick as well.

Throneum are killer, but are not old-school, though they have an old-school sound.

An old-school Polish DM band I can recommend are Imperator.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
How about some massacra? This band kicks ass!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epnOR7nklM

Massacra is the best French band ever! Final Holocaust & Enjoy The Violence deserve as much recognition as Dawn Of Possession or Altars Of Madness.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm 

Recepients Of Death, anyone?

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:11 pm 

Jagged wrote:
Burial

I hate being broke right now

welp I guess I know what I'm buying in two weeks...

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 pm 

I think I've seen Dark Heresy already mentioned here, but this band deserves way more attention than it has.

It seem like pretty traditional and run of the mill death metal at first sight (hear?), but there are some incredible riffs thrown in there, pretty amazing melodies interwoven here and there (and I hate melodies in death metal, so getting me to recognize them as something good in the music is quite a feat), a few solos that kick ass, and the feature that probably jumps out the most, some incredible acoustic breaks with baroque and romanticist influences that will blow yer mind.
Asides from that, the styles in the songs tend to vary and keep the stuff interesting, it's a pretty awesome album, and it's a pity that it's so underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQvc16dVnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0huB5kWE4oY

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next