Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:57 pm 

Gomorrah - Reflections of Inanimate Matter

This is a pretty cool album. Nothing too groundbreaking , but extremely solid in all senses. Slow to mid-paced with very nice bass, plenty of interesting riffs and solos, and excellent production.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:17 pm 

Yeah, I've heard that album. Pretty enjoyable but standard stuff. Still recommend it though, especially for those who prefer their death metal on the thrashy side

Anyway, listening to Torture Krypt's Rotted Remnants EP (1995)

Excellent stuff, with chaotic riffs darting everywhere. Reminds me of a better Cannibal Corpse. Wild Rags had released tons of great stuff back in the day, and this is no exception.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 pm 

Nifelheim: selftitled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Qj5dA7OBk

Destruction worshipers from Sweden. Excellent death/thrash.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:43 pm 

Brain Dead (Mys) - From the Ecstasy

This is yet another hidden gem of the underground, this time hailing from Malaysia. Comparisons are often drawn between the south-asian and brazilian scenes and for good reason; bands from both areas are often the best representation of the whole raw/filthy death/thrash sound, one which was made "popular" by Sarcofago or Sepultura. So here it comes as no surprise you get something similar in spirit, though here I'd say they lean more on the morbid death metal aesthetic but the thrashy edges and riffs are still very present. Led by harsh and morbid whispers, the menacing drums serve as a strong backbone for the vicious guitars attack, the ritual being enveloped in the thick air of burning candles, awakening your most primitive instincts of headbanging. The massive opener "Rites of the Tyrant" is as long as 8 minutes and a half, so you can expect some sense of direction and satisfying turns in their delivery; morbid leads laying down the path or just something as effective as slowing down only to cut your breath short with some of the most effective riffing assault you may have heard. Seriously, if you like the Brazilians or any kind of morbid death and/or thrash, you'll love this.

Last edited by Evil_Johnny_666 on Mon May 17, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:46 pm 

Xytras71 wrote:
Nifelheim: selftitled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Qj5dA7OBk

Destruction worshipers from Sweden. Excellent death/thrash.

Great album, but unfortunately no where near Death Metal at all. It's affiliation lies firmly with Black Metal (with Brazilian thrash overtones).

My collection

Artofgrind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:34 am 

Still some what obscure to a lot of people great guitar work especially in the solo department.a most
Krabathor-Cool Mortification
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoQ_SQvd-A

The perfect picture of brutality but even better
Wicked Innocence-Omniopence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIV7RqD ... re=related

Well recognized but for their more recent material this is the perfect mix of black with death without losing the death
Belphegor-The Last Supper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vg9bxDP ... re=related

One of the best records all around to ever be unleashed on humanity. Production could of been better but the magic is there for sure.
Cenotaph-The Gloomy Reflection Of Our Hidden Sorrows
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o462 ... ions_O.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbhlijE_m_8

With songs with the length of doom songs but with the brutality of old school death metal. A shame they never released a full record.
Beyond Fear-Haunted by Visions of a Third Atrocity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAroLBrm ... re=related

One of the best band of its time technical riffs with outstanding drumming.
This is that you would get if Nocturnus and Suffocation had a baby.
Timeghoul-Panaramic Twilight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbAQRMG4zE

bone_walker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:53 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:

Massacre- From beyond
Awesome album composed entirely of ex Death members, this is some killer old school death metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZ85DRDZLw

:evil: hell yeah comrade now you are talking!!!

bone_walker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:21 am 

This thread simply rules :hail:...my input....

Demolition hammer - Epidemic of violence -

A bit more thrashy but still some angry yet quality shit get down this album..possibly can be nominated as one of the most brutal thrash metal albums, should be listened by old school death metal fans.

Autopsy- Severed survival

Autopsy- Mental funeral

Grave- Into the grave
The legends with undisputed early death metal albums..

Gorguts- Considered dead a highly overlooked band..can be called as another gem of an album..

Keep em' coming brothers..

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:38 am 

I'm not so sure about overlooked, as they are quite discussed here often. Still, I'd take Considered/TEOS over Obscura any day. Just great slabs of filth-ridden death metal. Also can't wait to see them this May at MDF.

Just listened to this for the first time yesterday. Psychopath - Making the Transition

Apart from the awfully imbalanced production, the songs are just great. Technical death metal at its least pretentious. Recommended for this who dig Suffer, Oppressor or even Polluted Inheritance.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am 

Many people know Marduk as a black metal band, but their first album Dark Endless has strong death metal overtones.

Xytras71 wrote:
Bal Sagoth ... before they turned sympho-gay

:nono:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 

Demilich's first demo, The Four Instructive Tales of Decomposition had some of their best songs imo. I actually think it's better than Nespithe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7d_BSC7EZI

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 pm 

It's not as good as Nespithe, but it's cool.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

This is yet another hidden gem of the underground, this time hailing from Malaysia. Comparisons are often drawn between the south-asian and brazilian scenes and for good reason; bands from both areas are often the best representation of the whole raw/filthy death/thrash sound, one which was made "popular" by Sarcofago or Sepultura. So here it comes as no surprise you get something similar in spirit, though here I'd say they lean more on the morbid death metal aesthetic but the thrashy edges and riffs are still very present. Led by harsh and morbid whispers, the menacing drums serve as a strong backbone for the vicious guitars attack, the ritual being enveloped in the thick air of burning candles, awakening your most primitive instincts of headbanging. The massive opener "Rites of the Tyrant" is as long as 8 minutes and a half, so you can expect some sense of direction and satisfying turns in their delivery; morbid leads laying down the path or just something as effective as slowing down only to cut your breath short with some of the most effective riffing assault you may have heard. Seriously, if you like the Brazilians or any kind of morbid death and/or thrash, you'll love this.

Wow..where can I get that? Soudns so tasty. haha
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:09 pm 

Atomic Aggressor's Demo is very Underrated. sounds like early sepultura playing possessed covers with raw production(atleast in my view)

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:44 pm 

Menumorut wrote:
I always found this genre to be kind of funny. These young bands (back when they were young) might have been experimental but their music wasn't very good. I guess in this context "great" and "classic" must be relative terms because nothing Comecon ever did will come close to, say, Queen or The Beatles. Some hilarious album covers here, though.

I'd take a number of dm albums over anything The Beatles or Queen ever did. Two of the most overrated bands in existence.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

Wow..where can I get that? Soudns so tasty. haha

It's been long sold-out until recently, NWN! reissued the album on vinyl, so if you want it legit that's your best bet.

Fractured_Millenium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:49 pm 

Hypocrisy-The Fourth Dimension

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm 

Silent Death - Horrified Realization (Brett Hoffmann of Malevolent Creation on vocals.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGKeZWvLiE

Strangulation - Spiritual Healing (Death Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv2yybjCzUk

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 pm 

Guys, a description to accompany your recommendations would be a minimum. Just a name thrown out doesn't mean much, youtube links don't work as a description either. There's no incentive to check out these bands rather than any of the countless others recommended here when you have nothing to back it up.

Last edited by Evil_Johnny_666 on Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 pm 

And don't post shit like Autopsy, who are well-known and quite worshiped. This thread is for a bit more obscure albums.

gojira666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm 

Here's something I stumbled upon:

Corpus Mortale - Integration
Metal Archives has them listed as Brutal Death Metal but on this e.p. I hear old school chugging guitars and blackish atmospheric passages. The bass sounds quite "heavy". A really surprising album hailing from the Denmark.

This YouTube vid is crappy quality but I think you get the picture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ba4ZJDRGG8

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 pm 

Don't know how I could've forgotten this, riff-o-rama throughout, solid work all the way through

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 pm 

Argonauth wrote:

Don't know how I could've forgotten this, riff-o-rama throughout, solid work all the way through

I'm suffering from the classic cannot-figure-out-band-name-from-logo syndrome...

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 pm 

Wyrmbane wrote:
I'm suffering from the classic cannot-figure-out-band-name-from-logo syndrome...

Yeah it is a small picture so hard to tell. I looked it up from the album title and the band is Killing Addiction.

:edit: I decided to check it out as it is from Florida in the early 90s. The riffs are great with a slight grind sound but the vocals I hate. Just a distorted airy growl with no words to it over and over again. The other vocal style sounds fine though.

I see they reformed and produced a new album this year. The song on their myspace from the album sounds pretty good. Reminds me of Morbid Angel and does not sound modern in style one single bit. And man the riffing in Less than Human is simply stellar. I really need to get some of their material.
http://www.myspace.com/killingaddiction
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:10 pm 

Thanks. I'm gonna check this out too.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:15 pm 

Anyone else have suggestions for obscure death metal albums that are easy to get cheap? I really would like to have some physical stuff. I already have stuff like Demented Ted, Resurrection, Accidental Suicide, etc...

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:02 am 

jugchord07 wrote:
Anyone else have suggestions for obscure death metal albums that are easy to get cheap? I really would like to have some physical stuff. I already have stuff like Demented Ted, Resurrection, Accidental Suicide, etc...

Obscurity and availability don't go well together. Maybe some reissue, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

NightmareLake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:04 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Guys, a description to accompany your recommendations would be a minimum. Just a name thrown out doesn't mean much, youtube links don't work as a description either. There's no incentive to check out these bands rather than any of the countless others recommended here when you have nothing to back it up.
I have checked out out every band with or without a description. Don't be so lazy. A youtube clip gives you all you need.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 am 

NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I have checked out out every band with or without a description. Don't be so lazy. A youtube clip gives you all you need.

It would be nice to have a bit of description for people browsing from work or wherever where either YouTube might be blocked or they can't listen to anything. And besides, a description to read is much faster than pausing your own music to listen something that might or might not be to your liking. It might be enough if there were just one or two albums, but it's around fifty at least I should think now. Personally, I hate listening to stuff through YouTube and I only browse this place at work where I am unable to listen to anything so it would be much nicer if people would follow-up with a bit of description. If I can't be lazy, why should the poster making the recommendation be? Even more annoying than that though is just posting the album cover with an undecipherable logo and no album name. No way to find out what album that is.

NightmareLake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 am 

MacMoney wrote:
NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

It would be nice to have a bit of description for people browsing from work or wherever where either YouTube might be blocked or they can't listen to anything. And besides, a description to read is much faster than pausing your own music to listen something that might or might not be to your liking. It might be enough if there were just one or two albums, but it's around fifty at least I should think now. Personally, I hate listening to stuff through YouTube and I only browse this place at work where I am unable to listen to anything so it would be much nicer if people would follow-up with a bit of description. If I can't be lazy, why should the poster making the recommendation be? Even more annoying than that though is just posting the album cover with an undecipherable logo and no album name. No way to find out what album that is.
Wow, the internet age really has fucked people.

NightmareLake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am 

Argonauth wrote:

A certain poster on this forum played the drums in Killing addiction. :D

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 am 

NightmareLake wrote:
MacMoney wrote:
NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

Wow, the internet age really has fucked people.

What are you talking about? Even though I check this place out from my home computer, I have no interest in checking random youtube links random people throw out here. For instance, I can't stand thrash or death/thrash, and am looking for some other style of old school DM. Why the hell should I follow a link 'just because it is in the old school DM gem thread' if I know I have no interest in that kind of music. That's right, I shouldn't.

So please, post a name, album name, and a short description. To all the people who've done this so far - thank you. To all the people who haven't, but are realizing the error of their ways and will do it from now on - thanks in advance.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am 

NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

He is completely right. The mods stress time and time again this is for discussion. Only a link is not contributing to discussion in the slightest and if everyone did that this thread would have been locked long ago.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm 

Visionary wrote:
NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

He is completely right. The mods stress time and time again this is for discussion. Only a link is not contributing to discussion in the slightest and if everyone did that this thread would have been locked long ago.

Besides that, these bare bones posts are just boring with all capital letters. Seriously, I have zero interest in reading a bunch of band names and this is one of the two reasons I hardly ever visit the only other metal forum on which I occasionally post.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:45 pm 

You guys are right, of course, but just be aware that NightmareLake can't hear you. ;)

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Delta_Wing wrote:
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead (1991 Maze Records)

I have this album on cassette, I should try to find it on CD somewhere. Features Erik Rutan later in Morbid Angel. Excellent death/thrash

Yes somebody finally mentioned this classic death/thrash album, this album is fucking insane! Masterpiece of brutal death/thrash.

Fuck yeah it is!

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm 

NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

I agree. I myself have spent countless hours already uploading stuff that wasn't previously available on-line to listen to in over a decade, and now I'm expected to hold peoples hand and tell them a story about it too? Hell no, I feel I've done more than my share of work. I guess I could be a dick tease, upload a pic and description, and not have there be anywhere to actually listen to it. How hard can it be to copy/paste a band/album into google if you want a description or review, or better yet just listen to it cause by the time you're through reading about it you can just hear the damn thing. You young fuckers have no idea how easy you have it, in my younger years I'd have to trade cassette dubs via snail mail to hear new bands. fml

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm 

Not sure if these guys have been mentioned. Just uploaded it today.

Your description? Swedish fucking death metal!

Mega Slaughter - Face Of The Deep 1991 Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTLdUskQuvA

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm 

thesilentenigma wrote:
NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

I agree. I myself have spent countless hours already uploading stuff that wasn't previously available on-line to listen to in over a decade, and now I'm expected to hold peoples hand and tell them a story about it too? Hell no, I feel I've done more than my share of work. I guess I could be a dick tease, upload a pic and description, and not have there be anywhere to actually listen to it. How hard can it be to copy/paste a band/album into google if you want a description or review, or better yet just listen to it cause by the time you're through reading about it you can just hear the damn thing. You young fuckers have no idea how easy you have it, in my younger years I'd have to trade cassette dubs via snail mail to hear new bands. fml

I'm sorry the standards are higher now and that a description is too much work to ask for. See? Your argument works both ways.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:
NightmareLake wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

What you don't get, is here, lots of bands are listed. Googling a description isn't that long, ok, but for 40 bands, more? Time consuming. And then, I'd be hard-pressed to believe everything is top quality to my standards or tastes, so I'd rather not download or youtube everything - a single song doesn't tell much about the whole album anyway compared to a brief description. If you spent countless of hours uploading stuff online, I'm sure you can bother a couple of minutes more to make your contribution more complete and worthwhile, don't you want to do a good job? I still do trades for albums or bands I never heard, but the point of the internet is that it gives you more tools, which you should use instead of saying: "well in my time..." And anyway, the goal of this forum is about discussion.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next