Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 pm 

Re spun Faith Divides us... and Tragic Idol today. brilliant band...

discuss

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:50 am 

Tip: as the OP, you should start a thread like this way better if you want people to discuss here. Make a thread more ''attractive'' next time.

Anyway, Paradise Lost used to be my favourite band for a while. Their earlier stuff and In Requiem used to be absolutely fantastic to my ears. Nowadays I actully think FDU-DUU is their best album (most likely in the minority here) but I think it just shows excellent songwriting. I still like some of their earlier songs but think their albums are really inconsistent. Gothic is a great album itself but the production sounds too muddy for my taste and ruins it. Their recent album Tragic Idol is solid too, but the band plays too safe on it. I wish the band would have written more of those rocking midtempo tunes. If I have to pick out one favourite song then I'd nominate ''As Horizons End''. To me it just has everything Paradise Lost is about.

Live the band isn't so good though. Nick Holmes cant pull the harsh vocal lines of that he's been doing showing in the studio since the last 6 years or so. It's a shame really. I'd say he really went down as a vocalist as soon as the band stopped playing metal for a while. Greg and Aaron still look like they're having fun rocking out which is fun to see.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:07 am 

Not the best way to begin a post but lets comment something.

Paradise lost has been during some many years one of my favourite bands, I have almost 7 or 8 original albums and two dvds. The last albums are great but they have started to sound quite repetitive. The strengthening of the guitars and vocals were interesting and Faith divide us... was a great album, though Nicks vocals don’t sound so good when he tries to force them, he was awesome when he was young but now he is better doing more "gothic vocals". Tragic Idol is very good too but as I have said they are started to sound very predictable and I didn’t buy that cd.

I sincerely think that they need to make a change, as they did in Symbol of Life (one of my favourite albums alongside Gothic and Draconian times), perhaps a return to a more atmospheric sound could be interesting and it could suit more to Nicks present vocal capacities. Anyway I can’t criticize them too much because they never release bad album.

Black Kommunion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 am 

Gothic killed, the one after that (Shades Of Grey?) was good too.

One of those bands that kinda grated my nerves sometimes....

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 am 

Black Kommunion wrote:
Gothic killed, the one after that (Shades Of Grey?) was good too.

One of those bands that kinda grated my nerves sometimes....

Shades of God you mean. :p

Speaking of that album, it would be cool if the band would try to do something similiar to that album again. I'm not talking about going traditional doom-y influenced metal with grunts again, but songstructure wise it definitely seems like the most ''out there'' album, compared to the other albums which were simple verse/chorus format. It would be interested to hear what the band would be capable of writing once they mess around with songstructures again.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:26 am 

Icon is a hell of an album. Brilliant stuff on that one - bluesy but metallized riffing, sweet clean vocals and odd, hypnotic songwriting style.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 am 

The Def Leppard of death/doom metal.

Gothic is one hell of an album; definitely one of the very best in its genre. But outside of that there's not that much in their discography that interests me. Draconian Times is certainly a successful sell-out album, too; there's some very good songs on there, too, but it's a bit much at times (why so glum, Nick?) so I seldom listen to the whole thing. But yeah, Gothic's the only album of theirs that I play with any regularity.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 am 

controlledbleeding wrote:

discuss

yeah nah

waiguoren
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:49 am 

schizoid wrote:

discuss

yeah nah

I have the uncanny feeling that you two fellas would get along quite well. You could call yourselves The Brevity Brothers, or just Brevo Bros to be choice.

But yeah, it's a toss-up for me between Gothic and Icon, both are solid albums, easy to listen to them in one go, catchy riffs galore, good (albeit different) atmospheres on both those albums. I always liked old Greg as a guitarist, he seemed like the humble one in the band, too, Nick was the silly angry one with bad lyrics (or maybe they're actually good? Can't work out what the guy is on about half the time). Draconian Times missed the mark, that album was trying to be the emo Metallica. Nothing since Icon is really worth owning I think.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am 

Paradise Lost is one of my favorite post-80s band. Greg Mackintosh has a pretty interesting, haunting style despite keeping things stripped down.And Nick Holmes has used a variety of effective voice over the years. Outside of the drums, they are one of those rare bands who were able to keep the original lineup for over two decades. There's a nice feel in their music and more importantly, they were a pioneering band in many ways. Able to draw from their many influences over the years to create something of their own.

But... as Colin alluded to, they are quite a poor live band. In fact, it's always been that way and that will prevent any band from gaining new fans and momentum to go forward. I never saw any significant growth from these guys as far as musicianship and performance. Paradise Lost is pretty much a studio band. Each album has a strong identity but sometimes, so much so that the songs feel "samey", cut from the same mold. The song structures also tend to be way too formulaic, following ultra-simple structures and never growing into the beasts they could be. There's something missing here and it starts feeling like a gimmick.

Loads of bands owe a part of their song to what Paradise Lost did, I feel. But unfortunately, they never reached their true potential, IMO. And really, it's quite a shame to see them live. Nick Holmes has the same enthusiasm and presence a washed-up, alcoholic standup comedian would have doing a routine in a retirement home in front of a dozen folks struggling with Alzheimer's.

But I still find their studio efforts inspiring enough.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 am 

Regarding live: their setlist is also way too common which is disappointing really. I understand the band won't rely on the first 5 albums only, but it would have been cool to hear 3 older, unusual old tracks thrown in here and there. Even their live album The Anatomy of Melancholy has a boring, predictable setlist (and sadly Nick doesn't sound better than he usually does nowadays.)

The band seemed to be pretty energetic back in early 90's though.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

90% of what Colin said - my thoughts exactly. Absolutely YES for Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us being a total masterpiece and As Horizons End being everything what they're about. I generally think their discography is pretty strong (I also enjoy the experimental albums a lot, especially Symbol of Life, only Believe in Nothing is inconsistent as hell), and they're an incredibly solid band release-wise overall. They just don't seem to disappoint almost ever, enjoying Tragic Idol very much as well and I knew it would be good as soon as Crucify was released. I dig their sound and atmosphere very much, they have this exact expressive, powerful, sad style that I love so much. Their albums basically never get boring for me.

But unfortunately, agreed on the live part. They're still fun to watch live, but they just seem kind of lazy. The setlists are unfortunately my personal #1 for the most predictable setlists of bands I listen to, and there's just so many cool songs they could dig out and they don't, playing the same stuff over and over. And yeah, I love Nick's voice and would absolutely love to be able to do similar vocals some day, but live he's definitely weaker and not that consistent.

Overall: a band whose albums I love very much, I love their atmosphere and songwriting, Nick's voice on the albums is amazing, but live they could just do better. They have the potential to destroy the universe with their live performances, but they don't.

waiguoren wrote:
I have the uncanny feeling that you two fellas would get along quite well. You could call yourselves The Brevity Brothers, or just Brevo Bros to be choice.

:lol:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm 

Aside from a handful of songs (mostly from Gothic) they do nothing for me, but I've heard far too little from them (namely Gothic, In Requiem and 2 or 3 songs off their last couple albums). Much better than late Anathema, but nowhere near early Anathema or My Dying Bride.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Overall: a band whose albums I love very much, I love their atmosphere and songwriting, Nick's voice on the albums is amazing, but live they could just do better. They have the potential to destroy the universe with their live performances

Maybe they don't. Their albums have had luscious production for a long while now. I think they know their limitations quite well and have just decided to coast on this. They've worked with guys like Rhys Fulber, experts in making people sound better than they actually do live.

But hey, it's still better than bands like Metallica who spend a fortune and take years to record albums that sound like ass.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Tip: as the OP, you should start a thread like this way better if you want people to discuss here. Make a thread more ''attractive'' next time.

Indeed. Look at the MDB thread for a good example of an interesting OP: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98573

Metantoine's Magickal Realm - New podcast up!
Halberd (doom/death)

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm 

Gothic is, of course, a classic. Especially the title track and "Angel Tears''. Great atmosphere, songwriting and some of the best use of "beauty and the beast" type vocals I've heard. The only other album I've heard from them in full is "In Requiem". Not bad for heavy alternative rock or whatever you'd call it.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:59 pm 

Gothic is no doubt a landmark album. But Icon remains my fav by these days. The riffing on that album is just too awesome. Greg Mckintosh seems to be pretty underrated as a guitarist

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:18 pm 

I loved True belief, but for a while i didn't think they could live up to that song and then fdu-duu was released and boy does that album rule. I love the leads on every album, Greg just blows my mind every time, beautiful stuff. So after fdu-duu I was in love and still am, although Tragic Idol didnt live up to the standard set by the previous album. And they have some cool B-sides as was mentioned in another thread.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

I'm not too big on this band. I like 'Lost Paradise', 'Gothic', and 'Shades of God' pretty well, but after they fully transitioned from death/doom, they lost me. It's not the fact that they changed that bothers me, it's that I don't think they did it well. 'Draconian Times' was the first thing I ever heard from this guys, and it almost turned me off them forever. The piano intro to it is the only part of the whole album I like. I tried some of their later stuff too, but it just bores me. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion on this site, but Katatonia and Anathema had far more successful (read: effective) evolutions, and they maintained the gloom and misery in their music far better (except for Anathema, eventually, of course).

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 pm 

Riffs wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
Overall: a band whose albums I love very much, I love their atmosphere and songwriting, Nick's voice on the albums is amazing, but live they could just do better. They have the potential to destroy the universe with their live performances

Maybe they don't. Their albums have had luscious production for a long while now. I think they know their limitations quite well and have just decided to coast on this. They've worked with guys like Rhys Fulber, experts in making people sound better than they actually do live.

But hey, it's still better than bands like Metallica who spend a fortune and take years to record albums that sound like ass.

I think that technical perfection is not the most important thing to be a great live band, though. Sure, Nick can't own as much as on the albums probably, but I think they would just need some more creative setlists, more contact with the audience and maybe slightly longer shows (they do like 1:15, in their case it really feels like it ends when it's barely begun), and they would really do great live. There are plenty of bands who aren't 100% as good as on the albums from the technical side, but work great live anyway.

Yeah, I really cannot complain about Paradise Lost in the studio, and they're even more proof that mixes by Jens Bogren are fucking awesome. The last part of that sentence cracked me up for some reason though :lol:

wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm 

My only experience with Paradise Lost was when they supported Opeth a few years ago (2008?). Maybe I was just in a bad mood because they were the only support band and had a much longer set than I was expecting, but I just thought they were really fucking boring. No energy on stage. Every song sounded exactly as tedious as the last and as a result I've never even contemplated listening to an album of theirs. This was a few years ago, but I think I'm going to continue to be stubbornly anti-Paradise Lost until I run out of new music to listen to.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:37 pm 

Try the albums, they're really better on the albums than live.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
The Def Leppard of death/doom metal.

Gothic is one hell of an album; definitely one of the very best in its genre. But outside of that there's not that much in their discography that interests me. Draconian Times is certainly a successful sell-out album, too; there's some very good songs on there, too, but it's a bit much at times (why so glum, Nick?) so I seldom listen to the whole thing. But yeah, Gothic's the only album of theirs that I play with any regularity.

lmao such a perfect analysis of this band. Although the one or two albums surrounding Gothic before Draconian Times are good too.

wrathchild_88 wrote:
My only experience with Paradise Lost was when they supported Opeth a few years ago (2008?). Maybe I was just in a bad mood because they were the only support band and had a much longer set than I was expecting, but I just thought they were really fucking boring. No energy on stage. Every song sounded exactly as tedious as the last and as a result I've never even contemplated listening to an album of theirs. This was a few years ago, but I think I'm going to continue to be stubbornly anti-Paradise Lost until I run out of new music to listen to.

Saw them open for Katatonia (who are musically glum as well, but at least had some appeal) and Devin Townsend and you're spot on. Didn't touch any of their ballsy material at all either.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

This band jumps back and forth in quality all the time, half their songs are some of the greatest songs ever, while half is the most mediocre crap ever. As some people pointed out earlier, they are getting a little too formula when it comes to song writing, they need to change things up a little. They also really need to stop cramming as many filler tracks they can unto an album. Try to make 8-10 solid tracks and scratch the rest. this band throw away the potential to make classic albums!

As for their later stuff, I really love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THPWp9ZshQs

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:24 pm 

I absolutely love me some Paradise Lost though I can't comment on any of their live appearances. Hard to determine my favorite but it's definitely between Gothic, Draconian Times, One Second (Yeah, I'm that guy), and Tragic Idol. Also have copies of Icon and Shades of God but I still need to give them some more honest listens. Faith Divides Us is pretty great too.

As much as I love their most recent releases, I kinda wonder if the band needs to bring back some of their more experimental tendencies. I would actually like a slight revisitation of their One Second sound and hearing Gregor's vocals on Vallenfyre does make me wonder if they could ever pull off a dual vocal format.

conquer__all
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 pm 

No way! I love One Second brilliant fucking album!!! I love PL probably one of my favs since the early 90's. Yeah they had some middle of the road stuff (believe in Nothing, Host) but they have done some really amazing stuff like In Requiem, and Tragic Idol as well was the first few albums already mentioned. As far as live goes I never seen them yet so I cant comment on it personally but I have watched and listened to the live CD/DVD and thought they were pretty tight.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:54 am 

TheLiberation wrote:

In the 90s they used to be fucking amazing (try one the first dvds) and Nick was quite powerful which now sounds pretty weird. When One Second was released he adopted the stupid attitude of a gothic star and he started to suck.

Moreover, he destroys the old songs because he cant sing with strength (forget the growls), what he does with As I die should be punishable.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:27 am 

I love the first five albums. Absolutely brilliant but of course "Gothic" is the original masterpiece and the others although not quite as groundbreaking are very solid too. I thought "In Requiem" was good too as regards their current style but "Tragic Idol" is very safe and redundant.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:56 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:

In the 90s they used to be fucking amazing (try one the first dvds) and Nick was quite powerful which now sounds pretty weird. When One Second was released he adopted the stupid attitude of a gothic star and he started to suck.

Moreover, he destroys the old songs because he cant sing with strength (forget the growls), what he does with As I die should be punishable.

I saw them with Carcass like 5 years ago and they ripped live. I also expected a poor vocal performance but Nick was solid, at least that night he did justice to every song. I'm not sure how weak are his vocals now tho. Carcass was also way more solid that night than a month ago when I saw them after My Dying Bride.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:27 am 

Man, haven't heard Icon since last year when I had my big PL-binge - about exactly a year ago now - and this rips. Great guitar playing, just a clinic in bluesy, thrashy metal riffing. The vocals are just killer too, like a more aggressive James Hetfield or something. It rules completely...Gothic gets press as the most original, but me, I think this one is.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, haven't heard Icon since last year when I had my big PL-binge - about exactly a year ago now - and this rips. Great guitar playing, just a clinic in bluesy, thrashy metal riffing. The vocals are just killer too, like a more aggressive James Hetfield or something. It rules completely...Gothic gets press as the most original, but me, I think this one is.

I think Nick Holmes sounded just a bit better on Draconian Times. I'd say he was his most comfortable on that album regarding their early stuff. On Icon I felt he was pushing a bit too hard sometimes.

I'm gonna revisit some earlier PL albums (Gothic, Shades of God and Icon to be specific) to check how I feel about those albums now. Icon used to be my favourite of theirs but eventually I found it to be really overlong actually.

And thoughts on Lost Paradise here, people? Sure, it's different from what the band would eventually become famous for, but there's just something really enjoyable about this raw, aggressive doom/death stuff album, even if the production is pretty poor (yet it gives the album some sort of charm.) ''Breeding Fear'' and ''Rotting Misery'' are still some of my favourite Paradise Lost tunes.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:25 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:

I don't think he really destroys the old songs, but sometimes it's quite obvious he can't sound as powerful as on the albums. I've never really thought "god this sucks" though, just "...come on, just a bit stronger".

Which doesn't change the fact that I dig his vocal style on the last two albums so fucking much and it's the definition of majestic. I don't know if it took a lot of takes or was slightly studio-boosted or something and I don't really care (might be just that he could give it more time, live he needs to save his voice a bit after all), the final effect implodes my balls. (Don't ask.)

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:00 am 

discuss

colin040 wrote:

Anyway, Paradise Lost used to be my favourite band for a while. Their earlier stuff and In Requiem used to be absolutely fantastic to my ears. Nowadays I actully think FDU-DUU is their best album (most likely in the minority here) but I think it just shows excellent songwriting. I still like some of their earlier songs but think their albums are really inconsistent. Gothic is a great album itself but the production sounds too muddy for my taste and ruins it. Their recent album Tragic Idol is solid too, but the band plays too safe on it. I wish the band would have written more of those rocking midtempo tunes. If I have to pick out one favourite song then I'd nominate ''As Horizons End''. To me it just has everything Paradise Lost is about.

Live the band isn't so good though. Nick Holmes cant pull the harsh vocal lines of that he's been doing showing in the studio since the last 6 years or so. It's a shame really. I'd say he really went down as a vocalist as soon as the band stopped playing metal for a while. Greg and Aaron still look like they're having fun rocking out which is fun to see.

What more do you want? a youtube video of me in a Paradise Lost shirt rubbing my cock whilst listening to the latest CD? Followed by some witty dribble of a post to engage all the bright sparks on here? haha

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 am 

schizoid wrote:

discuss

yeah nah

When are you migrating to Australia to a drive taxi or work on a forklift like the rest of your countrymen?

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:04 am 

conquer__all wrote:
As far as live goes I never seen them yet so I cant comment on it personally but I have watched and listened to the live CD/DVD and thought they were pretty tight.

Same. There was a tour announced then canned here a few years ago in support of Faith Divides... album. The recent live DVD was impressive.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:50 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
I don't think he really destroys the old songs, but sometimes it's quite obvious he can't sound as powerful as on the albums. I've never really thought "god this sucks" though, just "...come on, just a bit stronger".

Which doesn't change the fact that I dig his vocal style on the last two albums so fucking much and it's the definition of majestic. I don't know if it took a lot of takes or was slightly studio-boosted or something and I don't really care (might be just that he could give it more time, live he needs to save his voice a bit after all), the final effect implodes my balls. (Don't ask.)

Well, I disagree, listen to the original version of "As I die" and then listen to a live version and its almost imposible not to reach to the same conclusion, he sounds sooooooooo weak and souless. With songs of Draconian times or Icon the result is not that band, but not excellent either.

He sounds quite good in the last albums but I dont think he can replicate the same result on the stage.

No problem, Im not going to ask you about your balls and their reaction to NH´s voice. :D :D

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:56 am 

discuss

When are you migrating to Australia to a drive taxi or work on a forklift like the rest of your countrymen?

When are you going to get off the dole and start doing it yourself you lazy cunt? Contributing to your own half arse thread might be a good start as well.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:

Well, I disagree, listen to the original version of "As I die" and then listen to a live version and its almost imposible not to reach to the same conclusion, he sounds sooooooooo weak and souless. With songs of Draconian times or Icon the result is not that band, but not excellent either.

He sounds quite good in the last albums but I dont think he can replicate the same result on the stage.

No problem, Im not going to ask you about your balls and their reaction to NH´s voice. :D :D

I'd say he just does it differently. He's clearly not even trying to do it the uber-harsh way as he's probably aware that might turn out not so well, so he does it in a way that's maybe weaker but at least sounds sort of coherent. It wasn't As I Die, but once I listened to an old live version of Eternal (from the As I Die single I think), and that thing is awesome, but then I listened to the Anatomy of Melancholy version and it's not that powerful of course, but it's still pretty okay, just different. I'm pretty sure there are many vocalists who have aged worse in their live performances, not everyone sounds forever young like Rob Halford.

Let's keep it that way. :D No seriously, live he may not be that strong or consistent, but the vocal style on the last two albums is just so damn amazing. It's just the perfect mix of melodic and harsh for this style of music in my opinion, and personally I prefer it even to his Icon/Draconian Times style.

---

On a sort of related but different note - does anyone else really dig Peter Damin's drumming on Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us? Adrian is also pretty damn good, but what Peter did is by far the best session performance I've ever heard on any album, and he makes the album even better.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
On a sort of related but different note - does anyone else really dig Peter Damin's drumming on Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us? Adrian is also pretty damn good, but what Peter did is by far the best session performance I've ever heard on any album, and he makes the album even better.

Absolutely! The drums have often been detracting from Paradise Lost's music. Damin was a breath of fresh air and fixed that. Only momentarily unfortunately.

A lot of metal bands neglect the rhythm section aspect in their music but the three bands that have most frustrated me have to be Paradise Lost along with Appice-Black Sabbath and post-Noble Savage Virgin Steele.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 pm 

Riffs wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:

Absolutely! The drums have often been detracting from Paradise Lost's music. Damin was a breath of fresh air and fixed that. Only momentarily unfortunately.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Really, I LOVE the drumming on FDU-DUU. It's definitely one of the strongest things about the album. Peter definitely gave the songs a bit more of an energetic and ''alive'' feeling with his style. I can't really describe it well. I hardly pay attention to drumming and don't have much knowledge about it either, but what he did on FDU-DUU was excellent. For once, the drums actually sounded like they were a bit more dominating in the music, as opposite to the ''we have a drummer because we simply need one to keep a beat up, now lets show off our riffs'' idea I get on say, Shades of God.

As far as live goes, I think there ARE some good examples of Nick still roaring with power but I found these to be rare if I'm being honest. Can't say he's got much of a stage presence anymore nowadays which is a pity.

Here are some clips where he sounds pretty strong I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_XoHsijKlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6b7YvHcKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clz5mXmql7w

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next