* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:43 pm 

Coming August 28. Facebook post:

Spoiler: show
The reigning kings of technical, historically-themed brutality, NILE, are currently in the studio wrapping up the mix of their upcoming album » What Should Not Be Unearthed «
Produced by Nile and mixed by Neil Kernon. The album will be released August 28th, 2015 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The artwork was handled this time by Michal 'Xaay' Loranc.

Mastermind Karl Sanders states:
“All of us in Nile are happy to announce our upcoming newest album “What Should not be Unearthed” . It’s our 8th official album, and this time we believe we have a Truly Crushing disc to bring to Metal Fans. The focus this time around is on Brutally Heavy Metal Riffing and songwriting ; kind of like of an AOTW approach but very streamlined to achieve maximum destructive impact. Our last record, At the Gates of Sethu was super surgically clean and very “musicianship oriented” whereas the new disc is a polar opposite;
Unearthed is aimed straight at Utter Metal Heaviness and memorable songwriting. Although Unearthed is still full of the kind of Undeniable Musicianship people have come to expect from Nile over the years , it’s the songs themselves that will Hit listeners over the head this time around. These songs will be a blast to play live , and we are stoked at the opportunity to bring these songs to Metal fans everywhere. See you on tour!”

Xaay states about the artwork:
“At first, I would like to express that it was great experience to work on another Nile cover / artwork again. I'm really grateful having been a big fan of the band for all these years.
The Story behind the title goes deeply beneath everything we have already known, and we may not be ready to face. With the art I excavated the theories of an elder ancient civilization which could give the origin to ancient Egypt. That's why you can find a new ingredient in the band imagery, pointing at some higher obscure intelligence, eroding and covered with time. That trace of a dismal legacy is resembled in the outer structure which radiates from the block, sealing the unknown, and it's only an adumbration of what we will meet, once it is removed.
The pyramid-shaped seal in the center doesn't contain a recipe for some Camel Stew or a Pharaoh's dining menu. An experienced eye will notice hieroglyphs taken from the "Book of the Dead", or the Seven Islands of Amentet glyph - depicting the ancient Underworld, and describing the elder reign of God-kings, which had ended circa. 9850 B.C. (perhaps some similarity with that of Atlantis?). But the main thing we should not miss here is a winged scarab sign in the exact center. We all know this most common Egyptian artifact giving protection... so the message is pretty clear... I hope it may become another fine element in band's repository for the Nile themed tattoos.
To sum it up: this album is definitely not a box of candies. Keep in mind that opening the package means you will deal with the deadliest essence...
However, it will be a hard task to hold on to your curiosity. Well... it's a new Nile!”

NILE will hit the road together with their label mates SUFFOCATION as special guests, to support their upcoming masterpiece »What Should Not Be Unearthed«.
»What Should Not Be Unearthed«
European tour 2015
29.08.2015 POL Warszawa / Progresja Music Zone /Massivefest
30.08.2015 POL Wrocław / Alibi
31.08.2015 GER Berlin / K17
01.09.2015 GER Bremen / Tivoli
02.09.2015 GER Saarbrucken / Garage
03.09.2015 GER Munich / Backstage
04.09.2015 CH Huttikon / Meh Stuff! Metal Festival
05.09.2015 FR Torcy / Fall Of Summer
06.09.2015 UK Plymouth / The Hub
07.09.2015 UK Manchester / Sound Control
08.09.2015 UK London / The Dome
09.09.2015 UK Bristol / The Marble Factory
10.09.2015 HOL Nijmegen / Doornroosje
11.09.2015 GER Andernach / Death Feast Open Air
12.09.2015 tbc
13.09.2015 FR Toulouse / Connexion Live
15.09.2015 SP Bilbao / Santana 27
16.09.2015 POR Porto / Hard Club
17.09.2015 POR Lisbon / RCA Club
18.09.2015 SP Madrid / Arena
19.09.2015 SP Barcelona / Razzamataz 2
20.09.2015 FR Marseille / Moulin
21.09.2015 CH La Chaux-de-Fonds / Bikini Test
22.09.2015 tbc
23.09.2015 ITA Brescia / Circolo Colony
24.09.2015 SLO Ljubljana / Kino Siska
25.09.2015 HUN Budapest / A38
26.09.2015 A Wien / Szene
27.09.2015 SK Kosice / Collosseum

Cover art:

"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm 

J_Ason wrote:
Coming August 28. Facebook post:

Quote:
The reigning kings of technical, historically-themed brutality, NILE, are currently in the studio wrapping up the mix of their upcoming album » What Should Not Be Unearthed «

Yes, thanks! PLEASE, I want a return to form!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:54 pm 

If its actually more like Annihilation of the Wicked, like Sanders says it is, then that would be awesome. If it's like their last couple albums though, then I don't really care much. Seeing them with Suffocation would be killer. That's a fuckin' heavy combo.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 pm 

Nile have never really let me down. Those Whom the Gods Detest was really good, Sethu was a step down but still good. I'll pick this up.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 pm 

The title and album cover aren't amazing but will probably grow on me over time - the cover looks like the kind of thing that looks dumb on the computer but when you actually hold the physical album in your hands you can pick up on the subtle nuances (in this case, the weird shit surrounding the pyramid, whatever that is supposed to be). I skipped the last one and never heard it, but I will make sure to pick up this one so I can read the cool liner notes he always does.

My favorite Nile albums are "Those Whom the Gods Detest" and of course the masterpiece "Annihilation of the Wicked", and I really like how they describe the album. Songwriting was always one of Nile's strong suits.

GanoesParan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 pm 

I'm looking forward to this, I was lucky enough to see them a while back and they were phenomenal. Their last album wasn't the greatest compared to their other albums, so hopefully this turns out a bit better.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 pm 

Nile seems to have been on a great-meh-great-meh cycle since Annihilation of the Wicked came out. I'm hoping this will be another good one.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 pm 

Hated the last one. I liked/loved everything else really

Any improvement on the last would be good
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 pm 

I hope the production is as crunchy and forceful as Ithyphallic's.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 pm 

I've got quite possibly the strangest oddball opinion out there in that At the Gate of Sethu is my favourite Nile album. Not sure why, but it completely captured my adoration. As a result, I'n certainly looking forward to upcoming Nile material. Not really feeling that artwork though.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:01 am 

this sounds pretty appealing- if it's lashed to the slave stick for 50 minutes I'm super down :)

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 am 

TheLastSucker wrote:
I hope the production is as crunchy and forceful as Ithyphallic's.

+1. This album is great and the production was finallly perfect for Nile.

If its something similar to Annihilation of the Wicked I expect another boring album. I dont like this album because it lacked all the epic atmosphere of In Their Darkened Shrines, which was a great loss for me. Annihilation is just brutality, and I expect more from Nile.

Last album was mediocre and the vocals weak as fuck, I hope they bring back the super deep vocals of the previous album because they suit the music perfectly well.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 am 

Hype :hyper:

"You make it easy."

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:41 am 

I legitimately forgot that Sethu was even an album until this thread. Yeah count me in the group of people who find every album to be at least reasonably okay except for the last one, which was a total bore. I don't put any stock into bands saying "This new album is a lot like [fan favorite]", but I'm cautiously optimistic. I think Ithyphallic and Detest were unfairly maligned so chances are I'll dig this one.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:17 am 

Same here, Sethu is so boring that I just block it out from my mind that Nile ever made such as album.

I think Ithyphallic and TWTGD are good so this has a solid chance of being the same.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 am 

Don't worry guys, Karl has finally accepted that Sethu was a failure and the new album will return to the sound of Those Whom The Gods detest. No doubt.

"You make it easy."

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am 

The thing is, I don't even remember what I didn't like about Sethu. I just remember hearing it, forgetting it, hearing it again, rinse repeat three or four times. Was it really any different?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am 

Even the worst Nile album has at least several riffs and choruses that stay with you. Nothing about Sethu made any impression whatsoever. I only remember that the intro was practically identical to Kafir! and the production was lame and sterile and after a few songs I decided I would rather listen to Boyce Avenue play Coldplay covers.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 am 

Funny, I never checked out Sethu because I always thought Those Whom the Gods Detest was a very bloated, boring album with very few good parts. Prime example of modern metal just dragging out way the fuck too long - it sounded good at first, but seriously lost a lot to repeated listens and after one listen, I had to force myself to hear it more. Annihilation of the Wicked is still cool though...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:38 am 

BastardHead wrote:
The thing is, I don't even remember what I didn't like about Sethu. I just remember hearing it, forgetting it, hearing it again, rinse repeat three or four times. Was it really any different?

Remember that ''Bet You Can't Play This'' video with Karl Sanders? That album has shredding that's basically that, along with sterile as fuck production that makes everything sound like total ass. I'm usually not someone who minds sterile production at all, but here it just didn't work at all.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm 

I actually enjoyed Sethu, sweet riffs for a change. Ithyphallic though sucks major balls, a few good songs and a stupendous amount of idiot simple orchestration.

Metantoine
Notre bébé ours

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:22 pm 

Sethu had a shit production and mediocre songwriting. I liked Ithyphallic and Detest a lot since they're epic as hell and thundering albums. The cover art for the new album is meh though so we'll see, I don't have high hopes.
it's almost not a hamburger anymore it's just a pile of cheese. And for me I love me a Pile of cheese any day!

BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:23 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
If its something similar to Annihilation of the Wicked I expect another boring album. I dont like this album because it lacked all the epic atmosphere of In Their Darkened Shrines, which was a great loss for me. Annihilation is just brutality, and I expect more from Nile.
Last album was mediocre and the vocals weak as fuck, I hope they bring back the super deep vocals of the previous album because they suit the music perfectly well.

(2002) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines was their last great album for me too and I never really cared for them since them.

Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 pm 

I'm certainly not unique in having found At the Gates of Sethu to be a general borefest, and though I'll definitely be sure to give this upcoming album a go, I'm not expecting Annihilation of the Wicked 2.0. Bands love to claim their upcoming records will bring back the energy and staying power of their classics, but I think we've all come to treat those notions with a grain of salt. But Nile, for me, is one of those hit-and-miss bands-- they struck home with Nephren-Ka and Annihilation of the Wicked, missed the mark entirely with Those Whom the Gods Detest and Sethu, and just kinda left little to no impression with the rest of their discography. Maybe this will turn out to be another hit.

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Oh cool, ham is a condiment. The more you know.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Thats just the thing. Nile never had a clear progression in their sound. There is a change here and a tweak there but the main thing is that they sometimes manage to write very memorable tunes and at other times somethings is lacking. In one ear and out the other without lasting impressions. But looking back I think they have so many great to awesome albums that I always have interest in new Nile music.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:33 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

(2002) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines was their last great album for me too and I never really cared for them since them.

I always thought of this album as a bit too artificial and too planned. It has some nice moments, but Annihilations left a slightly better impression.

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:59 pm 

I'll buy it. I like the artwork, I figure it'll be like the last 3
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

ChildClownOutlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm 

Im excited, as much as I love AOTW and ITDS(my favorite from them), Im hoping this would be a bit better than Sethu, which wasnt a bad album, just a bit boring and plooding.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

I consider this album as the best one, though the production is far from being perfect.

I also like Ithipallic and Those..., the rest is meh....

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:57 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Weak vocals+boring songs+bland production.

Am I the only who REALLY hates the vocals in this album??????

I need some Egyptian atmosphere/arrangements/ambientations please!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

Here mate :-D

"You make it easy."

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 am 

I've been out of Nile for a while, but this should be interesting. I like their description for the new album. The last two records I didn't hear all the way through, only a couple songs each. But if this one is invoking the spirit of Annihilation, then I'm excited.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:40 pm 

Tried to get through Sethu today, didn't make it. Anything up to that record was very solid, so if this is anything like that, it will be good.

Knoterror
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:19 am 

To each their own, I really liked the sound they went for in Sethu while I tend not to care much for their older stuff save Annihilation of the Wicked and Ithyphallic.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:27 am 

I probably won't even care as to me they should've called it a day right after Annihilation. They just never been the same as if they hit a song writing block..Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:36 am 

i'm positively intrigued by the notion that this should be very different from sethu, since i'm also in the camp that finds it a totally forgettable album, while everything else they've done is pretty good at worst (annihilation and shrines are my favs)

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:21 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:

No, I thought they were bloody awful as well.

Nice to see the next one will be something different. Although they ardently defended Sethu at the time, it's clear they don't want to repeat that record any more than I want them to. I remember their attitude being "y'all don't appreciate it because you're not listening on vinyl", which isn't a great line to go with for adults.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Nile seems to have been on a great-meh-great-meh cycle since Annihilation of the Wicked came out. I'm hoping this will be another good one.

That's what I thought around the time I heard that last one. Deep Purple style! Here's hoping anyway, better than a total drop-off.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:34 pm 

I've always had a soft spot for Nile, I'll check it out.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:15 am 

Glad ppl admitting shrines was the best Nile
This new album will suck
Karl ego is too big
And he sucks at writing now

Lord_X
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:12 am 

I'm excited for the new album. I share the opinion that Sethu is not one of Nile's best but there are a few good tracks - Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame for example.

They're great live too. I would love to see them again on this tour in London but it seems unlikely unfortunately.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next