Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:03 am 

This is a somewhat hurried and sloppy OP, apologies. I might flesh it out some more when I get home.

Anyway, so someone tried to submit this band and we ended up rejecting it because it couldn't be reasonably determined whether or not their only demo ever saw a release. Since I'm a pretty big TON fan and want to find out more about this (plus would be neat to have it on the Archives), I thought I'd create a thread here and ask for input from our knowledgeable userbase. :)

What I found online through a quick Google search seems to suggest that the demo-tape ("None More Negative") did not get publicly released, because the band had to change their name due to legal reasons (related to a certain obscure death metal/grind act some of you might be aware of). In the end, the material on the tape was realised as "Slow, Deep and Hard", while the (label/zine-only?) promo copies (unofficially) ended up on eBay and such.

On the other hand, there are some instances online of people claiming that they bought/acquired the tape when it was first recorded/released (here or here ("got it at a show in Brooklyn")). I also found one unofficial bio that claimed that the tape "sold out quickly", but I can't find the link right now.

There are also some contradictions regarding the timeline of the band. In an interview with the original Repulsion here it's stated that the dealings concerning the name went down around May 1990, while our page has the "Repulsion era" listed as 1987 (the subsequent names are also given in another order by various other texts and bios online). Checking with Discogs, the copyright on the tape itself is from 1990.

Does anyone have some more info about this and can provide clarification? Was the tape indeed offered for sale and/or given away publicly by the band? Or was it a purely promotional send-out, with copies finding their way into the hands of diehard collectors after the fact? In what order and when did the different pre-TON "iterations" occur?

http://www.demoarchives.com/Bands/Repul ... ulsion.asp

Last.fm | Collection

deceivedchildren
Wikileaks ain't got nothing on me!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:32 am 

Well , I subbmited this band because I spoke with one die hard fan of Carnivore / Repulsion / TON on FB called Maria ( she also have this Demo for sale,and I'm buying it right now). She told me , she received this tape from band in famous L'Amour club when Repulsion played there. Also if you saw pictures of Tape , it's PRO PRINTED.It means,that printrun was not 10 - 20 copies,but much ,much more.I mean back in early 90's a lot of bands did biger amount of Demos. Also this demo contains RAW VERSIONS of the songs.Not the same as on debut Album. I think (But it's just me).Band did this demo for promotion,but copies also ended in the hands of fans.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 am 

OH MAN. I was really hoping this was audio....if it was so common, why are there no rips?

this just sounds like the regular version filtered slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwNXzwXoPo

BAPTIST- drone, meditation, ambient - new song!

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:34 pm 

From what I've heard about this tape, it's basically the exact same recording as "Slow, Deep and Hard" but released by the band on these cassettes shortly before they changed their band name to Type O Negative and then got signed by Roadracer / Roadrunner Records. I don't think they made very many of them (100 or so?) and all of them were given away to friends and close fans of the band.

I don't know any of this as "fact" though, it's just what I've heard about the tape online over the years.

Reply to topic