Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:24 pm 

How much does the length of an album factor into your enjoyment? Over the years I find myself enjoying shorter albums more. Like 30-40 minutes for me. Not to say that I won't listen to a long album, but there's just something about a short album without any filler or uninteresting moments.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:36 pm 

All depends on the band, some bands work great with shorter formats and others work better in longer.

I don't seen why a length should be a factor if it's all quality and works as a whole cause there are plenty of albums that are long and don't contain filler.

All personal preference.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 am 

my personal opinion: around 40 minutes is perfect length, or about 9-10 songs of average length. Any longer than that and you start to get bored, no matter how good the band/album is. Now granted, there are plenty of bands who have gotten away with longer albums, especially if the tracks are longer on average.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:50 am 

I'd say around 50 minutes or so. Fairly short and succinct, but just long enough to pack in a heavy epic or two.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:08 am 

Depends on the genre, really. Often times 30 - 35 minutes works for something like slam death metal, or something that's really fast and intense, such as Revenge or Blasphemy. 40 - 45 minutes works for almost anything as it gives enough time to reach a level of depth while not wearing out any kind of welcome. 50 - 60 minutes works well enough for something either doomy, takes a long time to conjure an atmosphere or simply has a lot of things to do. Anything that exceeds 60 minutes had better be bloody brilliant though to retain my attention.

In general though, I would say 40 minutes. That can be a sweet mark for almost anything.

Edit: The worst would be something like a double album with both CDs being over an hour long. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 am 

Obviously it depends on the genre and how much I like the band, but 40 minutes is the sweet spot for me, generally speaking. It's just long enough to keep my attention and leave me satisfied. For example, Blind Guardian's albums up through Somewhere Far Beyond. Around 50 minutes is doable, but once an album hits an hour I start to get tired of it. One exception that comes to mind is Cruelty and the Best, and album that I don't think has any weak spots (besides Venus in Fear!). If the songs are good enough, I don't really notice the time go by, like with a good movie. Some albums can climb past an hour without losing steam at any point, but in many cases, I find longer albums tend to have more mediocrity than shorter albums. I'd rather a band concentrate on packing their best music into a 40 minute album. Then again there are bands that specialize in longer songs or epic themes, like Opeth or Bal-Sagoth, and it works for them. There are a lot of exceptions, but I personally like the middle ground of 40 minutes.

Reply to topic