Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 pm 

Turkish death metal formation Engulfed will release their second full length, Unearthly Litanies of Despair, on April 19 through Dark Descent Records and Me Saco Un Ojo Records. From the press release:

Quote:
Formed in 2010 and with two EP’s and a full length of supreme Death Metal under their belts, Turkish masters of brutality Engulfed return with their sophomore album.

Atmospherics, savagery, technicality and morbidity. These four words should all spring to mind if you know Engulfed, and if you do not, get acquainted. Surging forth impenetrable waves of ferocity, this band spawns from the hotbed of extreme music that is Turkey. Their unfaltering bouts of blasting drums and convulsive riffing should have any fan of true Death Metal gripped from the get-go of this monstrous offering. Warped vocals and even more contorting instrumental work conjoins in malformed excellence to present some of the bands fiercest tracks to date. If tremendous but hostile and savage music is what you seek, then read on and be a part of these “unholy litanies of despair”, an album title promising exactly what is delivered.

Every second of this ruthless offering is a feast of vitriol, pulverising all in the path of Engulfed’s unforgiving music. A rare example of a band whose technicality is not their downfall, relying on claustrophobic atmospheres and gargantuan levels of malice while playing superbly. The showmanship is tasteful and the songs never suffer for it, rather leaving you in awe of their undeniable talents which span the whole lineup. Moments of mournful gloom inject some dynamic into the total battery and mayhem, while the drive of this album is infallible and never loses momentum for a second, building tension and mood with its formidable and forceful delivery. Right until its dying breaths, Engulfed’s new offering is a lesson in visceral Death Metal magnificence that must be learned by all.

Tracklisting:
1. In the Abyss of Death’s Obscurity
2. Voidwalker’s Dominion
3. Echoes of Suffering
4. Infernal Desolation
5. Blasphemous Despair
6. Cursed Eternity
7. Ancient Abyssal Conquest
8. Occult Incantations

In the Abyss of Death's Obscurity has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

This is one of my most anticipated death metal albums this year. This band is one of the best at that dark, Dead Congregation-esque DM and their last EP Vengeance of the Fallen is still one of the best DM releases I've heard so far this decade. The single slaps, really eager to hear more from the record.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:07 am 

Fantastic, overlooked death metal band. Both EP's and debut album are absolutely crushing and top tier for mine.

will be pre-ordering the LP without question, as I know it will be beastly and worth my money.

My collection

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
from the hotbed of extreme music that is Turkey.

Don't think I know any extreme music from Turkey. Kinda makes it hard to take the rest of the description seriously, as colorful as it it.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:38 am 

Disembodied wrote:
Don't think I know any extreme music from Turkey.

Persecutory and Serpent of Old come to mind. Solid bands like Engulfed, although with a blackish tinge in their sound.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 am 

Cenotaph is a big one and is a name you've probably heard if you're remotely into brutal death. Carnophage, Burial Invocation, and Hyperdontia are also fairly big names in the scene.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Cenotaph is a big one and is a name you've probably heard if you're remotely into brutal death. Carnophage, Burial Invocation, and Hyperdontia are also fairly big names in the scene.

You can add Diabolizer to that list as well, and Molested Divinity and Decaying Purity are also fairly big names when it comes to brutal death metal. Most of these bands share members too, the Turkish scene is fairly incestuous.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:55 am 

Disembodied wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
from the hotbed of extreme music that is Turkey.

Don't think I know any extreme music from Turkey. Kinda makes it hard to take the rest of the description seriously, as colorful as it it.

Pretty sure it was a sarcastic phrase.

sedsu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 pm 

New song sounds killer, it truly scratches that Dead Congregation itch and still retains its own face. Recently also revisited the last EP and first album, all very good to great.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:21 pm 

The new song kicks ass. Looking very much forward to the album.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm 

Here's the second single:

Reply to topic