Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:21 pm 

Eric and Brian Hoffman (Formerly of Deicide), finally released their album called "Liar in Wait." So far, its only available via digital download on the cdbaby website. Eric said on his facebook, that they are starting to distribute the physical cd's soon.

Anyway, have any of you heard the album yet? What are your thoughts about it? What do you think of the Amon project vs what Glen and Steve have done in Deicide, since the Hoffman brothers have been out?

I have the album (digital copy), and I think its pretty good. Some of the songs have riffs very similar to the Legion album (the one Deicide album where Eric and Brian wrote most of the music), especially the track called "Semblance of Man." I think "Eye of the Infinite" is probably the best song on the new album though. Its very fierce. The production isnt as great as I thought it would be, but the album still isnt bad.

I personally think its better than the Deicide albums "Til Death" and "To Hell with God" but not really better than "Stench of Redemption"

Here is the Amon page on this site btw: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Amon/19625

megamadman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:12 pm 

DEICIDE sucks without the Hoffmans. Nuff Said. They havent put out a good album since Eric and Brian were still in the band.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:13 pm 

Deicide has nothing on Amon, when the brothers left the band had one dying moment and that was SOR and now they are just a terrible band with a fat guy that sounds like a pig when he sings.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

megamadman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

Glen is a joke. Dude is going bald and fat. They also have a fat bald Jack Owen from Cannibal Corpse in the band. Jack has zero stage presence, the guy just stands there looking bored the whole time. The only good thing about Deicide now is Steve Ashiem's drumming.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 pm 

Current Deicide it's way better than Insinerate-Scars era (Even better than Serpents IMO). Stench it's probably the second best Decide album ever.

Amon it's no better than current Deicide either, not bad but nothing mindblowing for sure.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:23 pm 

i haven't heard the new album [apart from that 1 song that was 'out' a couple of months ago] so i'm pretty keen to hear the rest
i'd not heard or heard of the hoffman brothers doing anything at all since they left deicide [2004 - 2011] that's a long time to be off the radar, so to me the whole amon thing is kind of exciting! :metal:

deicide/amon: feasting the beast was my first or second death metal album [it was either that or obituary - the end complete] that i ever bought so they are like half of one of my favourite bands ever.

Distressing are the images of war...

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

megamadman wrote:
DEICIDE sucks without the Hoffmans. Nuff Said. They havent put out a good album since Eric and Brian were still in the band.

what're you fucking kidding me?? Haven't put out a good album? Have you even heard Stench of Redemption? If so then you at least have to say that it was decent.

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:48 am 

i would go as far as say stench of redemption is the BEST deicide album

i havent heard this amon album but i dont expect much

ACauldronOfHate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:54 am 

necropsyalpha wrote:

You're not missing much. It sounds like a very, very bad Deicide rip-off with a horrible production.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 am 

ACauldronOfHate wrote:
necropsyalpha wrote:

You're not missing much. It sounds like a very, very bad Deicide rip-off with a horrible production.

It isn't. The video's audio sucks for sure but the album sounds fine produced. In all honesty, it sounds like a continuation of Scars, neither better nor worst. Better listen the album before judge it.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
In all honesty, it sounds like a continuation of Scars, neither better nor worst. Better listen the album before judge it.

I better check this out then, I thought scars was amazing (though I seem to be the only one on this forum that thinks so :P). I certainly think deicide sort of fell off a cliff after losing the Hoffman brothers, though I can't really understand why if what glen/steve says is true, that they didn't help the writing process at all. Hmmm..

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 am 

necropsyalpha wrote:
i would go as far as say stench of redemption is the BEST deicide album

When listening to anything past Legion it feels like a completely different band, so I find it so hard when people would praise SOR as the best Deicide album. Maybe SOR is the best of the post Legion albums, but does that even really count?

Glen's voice at this point is completely terrible (doesn't even sound like the early works), the production is over glossy, there tons of mindless dragging ass blast beats and the riffs are just plain boring. Plus the fact that the lyrics have just gone completely over the top, and someone needs to call the cheese police. When compared to post Legion albums maybe SOR is an improvement, but let's face the facts it can't touch the first 2 albums.

Yep I'm biased.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am 

All this talk of Deicide sure has a lot to do with the new Amon album...

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am 

By reading the review of the Amon album, but truthfully not having heard it yet, but having heard the catch phrase "For fans of Scars of the Crucifix" I'll probably not be any more impressed by this, than by anything Deicide has recently put out.

Hopefully the Hoffman's will prove me wrong and there will be at least one crushing song such Crucifixation or Sacrificial Suicide on this new Liar in Wait release. Here's to hoping.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 am 

Couldve had some better production and considering all the bullshit everyone's gone through(more here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85307&hilit=amon ), it's slightly disappointing. For a guy that's really in need of money, he really makes some bad choices(making an outdated website, video)

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm 

I will be the first to say that I love Deicide and think they have never released a bad album. I will listen to this album whenever I get the chance, because I liked the song in the video too.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 pm 

Just saw on Eric's Facebook page you can order the CD directly from him for $20. At least the shipping is included, but :ugh:. I'd buy one if that weren't so expensive for a regular disc...$20 is what I just dropped on the deluxe mediabook edition of Serpent Sermon with priority shipping. I've been eager for this release but I'll have to pass for now.

ACauldronOfHate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:02 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Better listen the album before judge it.

Don't worry, I did. Still, I don't like the production.

For everything else, average death metal with fantastic solos thrown in.

megamadman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:28 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
Just saw on Eric's Facebook page you can order the CD directly from him for $20. At least the shipping is included, but :ugh:. I'd buy one if that weren't so expensive for a regular disc...$20 is what I just dropped on the deluxe mediabook edition of Serpent Sermon with priority shipping. I've been eager for this release but I'll have to pass for now.

The digital download of the Amon album is about 9 dollars on cdbaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/amon24

The only other way you could get it at this point (besides ordering the cd) is if a friend who has it, sends you the mp3's (which is a no no, but fans do it all the time).

You most likely wont find anything from Amon or any of the tracks on youtube because Eric constantly has them pulled for copyright.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm 

Yeah, I saw the download, but for me it's physical copy or nothing at all. Just how I roll.

Based on the relatively positive feedback I've seen so far and the fact that I liked Jesse Jolly's work with Diabolic and Blastmasters, I'll probably break down and get it at some point (soon, probably, in spite of what I said above). Considering how much money I wasted on blind purchases when I was younger, I really don't have much cause to sneer at what Hoffman's asking for an album I know I'll enjoy.

Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm 

I really wish that the lyrics were included with the digital download, I think they will only be with the physical cd

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 am 

I listened to the album for the first time a couple hours ago and really liked it, enough where I even went back and listened to it twice.

For whatever it's worth (not much) I have been a big fan of Deicide since 1990... but I am not a fan of anything Deicide did after Serpents Of The Light. I hated Insineratehymn as soon as I heard it, and it was all downhill from there. Stench was ok, but the two records after it both sucked. I wasn't expecting much from the Hoffmans and Liar In Wait, considering I'm not even a fan of Scars Of The Crucifix, but for some reason this new album really clicked with me. It pretty much buries all of the Deicide records after Serpents.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:17 am 

The album was pretty good, and I agree that it shits all over the more recent Deicide releases (except for SoR and SotC). . I'd say that it's a solid 8/10.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 am 

WTF DEICIDE RULE? shocking... amon is good but has absolutely nothing on deicide. but i guess thats just an opinion like the formers above me

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 am 

halfformedfetus wrote:
WTF DEICIDE RULE? shocking... amon is good but has absolutely nothing on deicide. but i guess thats just an opinion like the formers above me

. . . . . okay, then

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am 

The strongest part of the release is the slightly rough production, which fits the music very well and gives it a bit more of an old school feeling. The music is very solid for what it is, the guitar solos are fast and showy, but it really doesn't do anything that these guys haven't done before several times. The drumming is more varied than modern Deicide, which is good and it seems to give it a bit more of an oldschool feel. The vocals are pretty much Glen Benton emulation, which isn't that uncommon in death metal. I suppose it's these guys doing their thing, but it's not a standout album, it's a decent album from veterans that isn't likely to supercede their classic albums.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am 

I just listened to it and it gets a huge thumbs up from me. Classic death metal, very well done, world needs more stuff like this bla bla bla probably gonna buy it. I don't need innovation.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:14 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The strongest part of the release is the slightly rough production, which fits the music very well and gives it a bit more of an old school feeling. The music is very solid for what it is, the guitar solos are fast and showy, but it really doesn't do anything that these guys haven't done before several times. The drumming is more varied than modern Deicide, which is good and it seems to give it a bit more of an oldschool feel. The vocals are pretty much Glen Benton emulation, which isn't that uncommon in death metal. I suppose it's these guys doing their thing, but it's not a standout album, it's a decent album from veterans that isn't likely to supercede their classic albums.

These are almost my exact feelings on Liar in Wait. It's one of those albums that makes me think, "Man, if this had come out fifteen years ago it would have been pretty badass." It's promising, if nothing else. I'd like to see what they can do in the future.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm 

Future, you say?. . . I know this is a bit of an asinine comment but those guys are as old as Benton if not older, I don't think they'll have much of a 'future' if you know what I mean. They've probably got about 2 more albums in them until they finally fuck off forever.
Of course I'll be there waiting, though, when they do finally release more albums.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm 

These guys aren't exactly Lemmy Kilmeister, here

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

so you guys have heard this online or bought mp3s? is the physical cd not available yet?
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Amon2 only has the download...?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Future, you say?. . . I know this is a bit of an asinine comment but those guys are as old as Benton if not older, I don't think they'll have much of a 'future' if you know what I mean. They've probably got about 2 more albums in them until they finally fuck off forever.
Of course I'll be there waiting, though, when they do finally release more albums.

HOLY SHIT I HAD NO FUCKING IDEA THEY WERE OLD THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP.

You know, I really don't care if they've only got one album left in them. I'm sure their best years are way behind them, but I think they can still pull off one more truly great record.

dreadmeat wrote:
so you guys have heard this online or bought mp3s? is the physical cd not available yet?
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Amon2 only has the download...?

I ordered the physical copy from Eric and received it within a few days. Ordering info is here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/amoneric

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm 

eek, it can only be bought from facebook? fucked if i'd trust that, but that's just me ha ha
i have to sign in to even look at it :grumble:

thanks for link man, how is the disc quality wise? normal or cheap and nasty like a home made one or...?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:59 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
eek, it can only be bought from facebook? fucked if i'd trust that, but that's just me ha ha
i have to sign in to even look at it :grumble:

thanks for link man, how is the disc quality wise? normal or cheap and nasty like a home made one or...?

It actually looks really good...totally pro-pressed. The booklet is a six-page foldout and only features the cover art and lyrics but is printed on high quality glossy paper. The layout and fonts are simple but effective...it's a pretty classy presentation, overall.

Honestly, I was skeptical about ordering it myself, but people were leaving comments about having received their copies so I figured it was on the level. You'd be ordering it directly from Eric Hoffman, for what it's worth...I paid him through PayPal and got my copy in about three days. I can PM you the info if you want.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm 

cool, that sounds good yeah [disc quality]
i meant i don't trust faecbook but yeah man ping it through, thanks.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 am 

Buying it from Facebook is misleading. His paypal address is there. Hes also got a VERY outdated site, which I personally would never use. Kinda sad how they charged money for the video. I mean, if you're that tight on money(he kept saying how he funded the album himself), then why even make a video in the first place.

ragman666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:18 am 

This destroys anything deicide has done after legion. the hoffmans next to trey are the greatest death metal composers the world has ever seen and history will prove it.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 am 

http://www.masterful-magazine.com/wywiad.php?wyw=717

Heres an interview from late last year, but hadnt seen it until now. It doesnt reveal anything new, but the first paragraph is right on the mark when they say he just doesn't give a shit/being full of shit.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 am 

Very stilted! I'm still keen to buy a copy of the CD though :nods:

Kain797
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 am 

They're fucking good guitar players, and they have a couple nice rigs between the two of em. The new album kills the last few loads of shit that Deicide has churned out over the last decade

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next