Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 am 

I'm a huge Anaal Nathrakh fan, following every shred of evidence they leave coming up to a new album. Mick Kenney posted a Decibel magazine screenshot last night about their new album, and above it is another article clearly talking to Bob Vigna and Ross Dolan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIB1sHtD6y4 ... y=mickfeto

Both bands have at one time or another been in contention for my absolute favorite band so this is great, but it will be 3.5 long years since Kingdom of Conspiracy. That album was not nearly a disappointment for me, but they never really promoted it fully or did a video. It came out and the band just kind of disappeared with it, fans seemed lukewarm to it as well. Here's hoping they took some time and put an album out at least on par with the excellent Majesty & Decay and Providence EP

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:24 am 

I've yet to finish up all their albums, but Immolation are one of my favourite death metal bands of all time. I'm excited for a new one from them. I'd be quite surprised if it'll be as good as Close To A World Below, but that album is very hard to top.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I've yet to finish up all their albums, but Immolation are one of my favourite death metal bands of all time. I'm excited for a new one from them. I'd be quite surprised if it'll be as good as Close To A World Below, but that album is very hard to top.

No, I don't believe they will. They seem to show no signs of doing anything in their old style again, but there's some killer material in the last 4 or so albums as well.

Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm 

Their last album didn't do so much for me. Not a big disappoint, but I already have enough of it. Hope to listen something like Majesty and Decay or Shadows in the Light, these albums are masterpieces!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:59 pm 

Church13 wrote:
No, I don't believe they will. They seem to show no signs of doing anything in their old style again, but there's some killer material in the last 4 or so albums as well.

Yeah, that album is a classic. It's got some of their best and most memorable songs, but I don't think their style has changed too much after Failures For Gods. They just got better and better. But then again, I haven't listened to the last three, so...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:15 pm 

So the last you heard was Harnessing Ruin and you say their style hasn't changed and they got better and better?

We all secretly loved Wesley Crusher.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:18 pm 

droneriot wrote:
So the last you heard was Harnessing Ruin and you say their style hasn't changed and they got better and better?

:lol:

Harnessing Ruin was their biggest transitional album and what some would see as their worst. There's a clear division between Unholy Cult and Harnessing Ruin

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm 

Their best era ended with Unholy Cult. Starting with Harnessing Ruin they went downhill.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Yeah, last one I heard was Harnessing Ruin, but their style didn't change that much up to that album, I don't think. They got better and better after Failures For Gods up to Harnessing Ruin. I can't say that for their last three because I've never listened to them. I got confused for a second. :lol:

WillyB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 pm 

I remember Majesty and Decay and that EP being pretty damn good, actually didn't know they had something else after that but maybe I shouldn't bother with it either way. Still cool, Immolation has a hell of a discography behind them

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm 

Y'all be trippin'. It's Immolation for fuck's sake. Even if they can't create an unquestionable classic each time, they're still going to deliver a perfectly enjoyable and worthy slab of songs to maintain their hold as one of the most influential, if not downright aped, bands of 21st century death metal. They've honed their craft well enough by now, and no honest fan is going to argue that they don't put anything less than their best effort in their songwriting and live performance.

Yes, I'm a fanboy. No, I don't care.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:15 pm 

Yeah Failures for Gods through Unholy Cult really does focus on a specific niche style that they've moved away from since Shadows in Light. Less mindfuckingly twisted and chaotic sensory overload mashed together with those destructive grooves, and more traditional styled DM stuff with more distinguished riffing. Now, I still like these new albums (Majesty and Decay is fantastic), but they did stop one upping themselves after Unholy Cult. Regardless, I'm excited because despite the subtle style shifts and steps down in quality, it's all been very minor and they're easily one of the most consistently great OG death metal bands still kicking today outside of Cannibal Corpse, so I don't see any way I end up disliking a new album unless there's some massive shift.

RepeatOffender
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm 

Awesome news.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:58 am 

Title is Atonement. Theyre also re-recording Immolation from Dawn of Possession for the next Decibel flexi

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:06 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Yeah, last one I heard was Harnessing Ruin, but their style didn't change that much up to that album, I don't think. They got better and better after Failures For Gods up to Harnessing Ruin. I can't say that for their last three because I've never listened to them. I got confused for a second. :lol:

That's a weird thing to say, since Harnessing Ruin is pretty obviously different from Unholy Cult, which again is pretty obviously different from its predecessors. Shadows in the Light, again, is different from Harnessing Ruin, and while it's true that they've made a bunch of albums in a very similar style, it only really started with Shadows in the Light.

Of course, even smaller differences will start to feel significant once you've listened to their every album for more than 20 times each, but honestly I thought Harnessing Ruin stuck out from the start.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:46 am 

Always down for some Immolation. Despite their change in style and their earlier albums being better, they've never put out a bad album.
Eagerly awaiting this

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:42 am 

I love the Shadows in the Light/Majesty & Decay style, so fucking epic. It's not the same level as everything from Here in After to Unholy Cult, but it's like they discovered a whole new life, having a second career as a different but amazing band. Last album wasn't as great as the first two in their new style but still strong, and I hope the new one has some "Rival the Eminent"/"The Rapture of Ghosts" level songs again.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 am 

I'm just going to pop in, to say that "Dawn of Possession" is clearly the greatest moment of Immolation, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:01 am 

Go ahead and fight me. When I listen to Immolation I don't even include that album in my playlist, it's the kind of droning riffless non-music I'd expect from a Sloth full-length but not a death metal album, I'm happier ignoring that misstep. Don't know how people can say a bad word about Ildjarn or Von when Dawn of Possession exists.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 pm 

Dawn of Possession is like Altars of Madness. It sounds different than the albums that followed but still a masterpiece.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:28 pm 

Dawn of Possession is great (though I'd take both Failures and Closer over it) - but then again, so are Ildjarn and Von.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm 

Close to a World Below and Majesty & Decay are definitely my favorites of the two eras. Here in After had the awesome lawless riffs and Failure for Gods had the dark atmosphere but CtaWB had both and better. Same goes for M&D bringing the more traditional and crushing Harnessing Ruin sound with the improved songwriting of Shadows. I will diss no Immolation album though, they're importance in my musical tale can not be understated

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:32 pm 

My 98% review of Dawn of Possession probably says all that needs to be said about my opinion on it, but I don't think it's the best Immolation album. There's a fleeting moment in the title track that might just be the best that Immolation have ever made, though.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:05 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
My 98% review of Dawn of Possession probably says all that needs to be said about my opinion on it, but I don't think it's the best Immolation album. There's a fleeting moment in the title track that might just be the best that Immolation have ever made, though.

I hope you're talking about that really epic melodic tapping sequence that occurs about a minute and a half in.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:32 am 

Crypticide wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

I hope you're talking about that really epic melodic tapping sequence that occurs about a minute and a half in.

:nods:

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:52 pm 

Good, because that part is very beautiful,epic and dark all at the same time.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 am 

So November came and went with not even so much as a track name. Damnit

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:14 am 

Church13 wrote:
So November came and went with not even so much as a track name. Damnit

They said a few months ago that it's in late January, but still... you'd think they would've announced the details by now.

Everflowingstream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 am 

metroplex wrote:
Their best era ended with Unholy Cult. Starting with Harnessing Ruin they went downhill.

Agree with this.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 am 

If they return to the old formula will got my interest again, if not I simply go to listen to Close or Here In After.

And one and for all, fuck that large letters logo!

"You make it easy."

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 am 

With the exception of the last album, the big letters logo actually looks better on their later album covers.

I agree that they haven't topped Unholy Cult so far, but every album since then has still been a very good one.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:51 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/max-an ... -february/

Looks like theyre opening for Soulfly.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm 

only Immolation I cannot even listen to thus far is Harnessing Ruin. clumsy drums and really bad groove influences, too much for me to take.

everything else has been good to excellent and I await a new album.

for those of you wondering why they disappeared after releasing their last, make sure you actually purchase the damn album! when your favorite bands have full time jobs they're not gonna be out there pushing the album as hard. their album sales will not let them leave their full time occupations, but it will help them with making videos and doing more touring at least.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:43 pm 

^ They didn't "disappear," they've been touring relentlessly as they've always done. Bob started writing songs around MDF last year and hit a dry spell for a while. Steve also had an injury which put off recording until this past summer.

You should probably look into these kinds of things first before making blind assertions and wagging fingers.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:24 pm 

They explained once that they changed the logo they put on their album covers because the real logo clashes with the art, but they always make sure to include the real logo somewhere inside the booklet. That is good enough for me!

I like all Immolation albums including the easier on the ears couple of albums. Every album is excellent in its own way. Here in After and Failures for Gods are my favorites but all their albums get a lot of play here. The only one I am not big on is the very last one because I got it not that long ago and haven't given it that many listens yet. I shelved it after getting some new music and haven't come back to it. Maybe it is time to revisit it.

In any case I'm excited for new Immolation because they are one of few current bands I give a damn about anymore.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:46 pm 

Kingdom of Conspiracy is really solid, and Indoctrination and All That Awaits Us are particularly great songs, but the album doesn't really expand on the style they had on Majesty and Decay, other than by being slightly more straight-forwardly aggressive, I suppose. It has that thunderous drum sound, which unfortunately affects the guitars a little, I feel. It was perhaps a little hard to get excited about it, when the style was precisely what one would've expected, but definitely earns its place among Immolation's flawless discography.

I just saw the album art for the new album. So excited! It's their best album cover since Unholy Cult, and it has the old logo!!!

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 am 

I saw the art here on MA but is it real? I'm looking for a source but seems legit.

Kingdom of Conspiracy was solid, and really grew on me. As far as the rest of their albums compared to it, I'd go something like

Close to a World Below
Majesty and Decay
Unholy Cult
Here in After
Kingdom of Conspiracy
Failures For Gods
Shadows in the Light
Dawn of Possession
Harnessing Ruin

And what the hell is going on with Majesty and Decay on vinyl? Only 6 years old but it can't be found for any less than $75 and used at that

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 am 

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Wow, this is an awesome artwork! nice to see the old logo back.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:40 am 

Does the return of the old logo (finally) means also a return to the old sound? I'm going to hope...

The cover is decent and it reeks of Sir Par Olofsson.

"You make it easy."

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next