Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 pm 

Youtube: show

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:40 pm 

For a moment I thought that the new track concerns someone's sir whose pants' tongue is just worth to be featured in a Kataklysm song.

The track ain't that bad, even though they killed the potential momentum of the second riff with the lapse back into chug'n'groove mode. The rest of it is latest period Kataklysm, but they managed not to make a stinking turd of the pants' tongue song.

And yeah, when I think about it, this song might be taken as the glaring example of all that is wrong with Kataklysm today. Instead of basing the song on the second riff, used to provide a furious assault which could be embellished with melodic licks, and ultimately with an okay grooving break, they forsake that same riff which could have been a solid backbone. I'm definitely passing this.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:22 pm 

Yeah I agree with that second riff comment. It was a great, fast paced, energetic riff which just abruptly ended and went to a lesser, boring riff. Also, the melodic death metal riff halfway through the song was pretty good too but it was accompanied with slow, uninspired drumming.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 am 

F*ck I need to listen to this song. I had great expectations with the new album, but your comments make me feel that the song doesnt sound very promising. :(

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:25 am 

Quote:
F*ck I need to listen to this song. I had great expectations with the new album, but your comments make me feel that the song doesnt sound very promising. :(
By all means do. It isn't something that'll defile your ears, but bear in mind thatmy point of view is that of a butthurt fan who liked both the Houde incarnation and the mid period of the band. I still remember the shock of In the Arms of Devastation and just how insipid and lame that album was. Not that there weren't prior signs, especially on Serenity in Fire. But yeah, all in all I thing Kataklysm has gone shit a long time ago. So your expectations might be met if you like the last couple of albums.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 am 

The Melodic Death Metal "tag" here makes more and more sense, but it has still balls. Nowhere near all this Gothenburg inner struggles pussy death.

last.fm

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:19 am 

I liked it. I've already got my preorder in for it. The technicalities of the riffs and drums are not a factor for me. For me, it's a good song or it's not. I've really enjoyed the last few Kataklysm albums and the direction they're going and I'm sure this one will continue on that road.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:16 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Quote:
By all means do. It isn't something that'll defile your ears, but bear in mind thatmy point of view is that of a butthurt fan who liked both the Houde incarnation and the mid period of the band. I still remember the shock of In the Arms of Devastation and just how insipid and lame that album was. Not that there weren't prior signs, especially on Serenity in Fire. But yeah, all in all I thing Kataklysm has gone shit a long time ago. So your expectations might be met if you like the last couple of albums.

Well, I did like In the Arms of Devastation, it was a calmer album but it had/has great compositions. The previous albums were a few hyper-blasting tracks which were good and the rest was just "meh". AOD has actual songs with good structures and it is catchy as hell.

Anyway Waiting for the End to Come is probably their best album in year and a mayor improvement from Prevail and Heavens Venom. I hope the new album sounds like ETC.

The new track is OK but nothing outstanding, I need to give it a couple of spins.

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:11 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I liked it. I've already got my preorder in for it. The technicalities of the riffs and drums are not a factor for me. For me, it's a good song or it's not. I've really enjoyed the last few Kataklysm albums and the direction they're going and I'm sure this one will continue on that road.

Yeah, I don't think any person on this planet would disagree that - for them - it's a good song or it's not (with possible shades in between). Though, songwriting issues, which is what plagues this song, are the main factor here, and not technical proficiency as you seem to be implying. Of course, we all have our own taste and this reflects in our discussions here.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:11 pm 

Fuck, I can't believe two of the guys in this band helped write Sorcery. Most recent thing I heard from these guys was Heaven's Venom and it sucked a fat one, so I didn't check out WFtEtC. After listening to this song I'm not really sure if I want to anyways. Duhamel isn't drumming on this one and I never really realized how much his frantic drumming style contributed to the band before, but oh god I miss the dude while I'm hearing this song. Also, the third-rate Insomnium riffs mixed with the really shitty death metal groove is far from a style I'm really intent on hearing (Like, cmon, how much does the opening riff/the dumb groove they keep returning to on the track in the OP remind you of "Walk"? That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it definitely is here).

Shouldn't really be surprised that this is bad, as these guys haven't really been doing anything worth hearing for over a decade now. They're just on a big label so I guess they have to make a new album every two years or something, but fuck, do people really like this sort of uninspired middle ground in death metal? Either go full retard with the melody or pulverize us with blasts, Kataklysm, you can't have it both ways.

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Fuck, I can't believe two of the guys in this band helped write Sorcery

Yeah, it's a bit of a conundrum, isn't it?

But even disregarding the likes of Sorcery, it's the same crew who recorded Epic and Shadows and Dust - which are rock solid albums in my opinion. A definite shift no doubt, one probably spurned by the departure of that damn maniac Houde, but still quality death metal with some nice twists. Though one thing that will bother me forever is Iacono's shrieks. That's just horrendous.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:39 pm 

I think they have more inspiration for Ex Deo material but unfortunately, the Kataklysm brand is more popular with random metalheads.

So we get this.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:54 pm 

Just a quick comment for all those who haven't listened to any recent Kataklysm. I think Waiting for the End to Come was a fantastic album by them and a huge stepup from what they had done previously. I definitely encourage people to listen to it. I'd say Melodic Death Metal is my main genre so I can be quite picky as to what I listen to in it, but Waiting for the End to Come is still a great album for me.

Another irrelevant point here. I don't get why people like this band's early stuff. The guitars can be there sometimes but I've found the vocals to be absolutely atrocious (some of the worst I've heard), and while Duhamel's drumming is fast and skilled, it's still frankly appalling and embarrassing for a studio recording. He tries playing stuff that he physically cannot play and ends up doing blast beat sections where he fall out of tempo and it just sounds cringey. I'm pretty sure that drumming issue went on all the way until In the Arms of Devastation, which is pathetic since by that point it was 2006 and they had already released 7 albums beforehand. I really don't get how As I Slither ever because of their big songs... That song is atrocious.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:29 am 

Not a big fan, but the new album is rather meh to me, to the point where I wont wont listen to it more than a few times.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:20 am 

Indecency wrote:
Just a quick comment for all those who haven't listened to any recent Kataklysm. I think Waiting for the End to Come was a fantastic album by them and a huge stepup from what they had done previously. I definitely encourage people to listen to it. I'd say Melodic Death Metal is my main genre so I can be quite picky as to what I listen to in it, but Waiting for the End to Come is still a great album for me.

Absolutely, this album is great and their best in years.

I have listened to 2/3 new songs and well, I think they sound too close to typical melodic death metal. I think I miss some brutality.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm 

Not liking the numetal feeling I get from this song, well, I don't expect much from them anyway, their last good record was The Temple of Knowledge if you ask me, and hell that was a good album

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 pm 

Fuck, Kataklysm has sucked for years now. Quite a few of these riffs are straight-up new metal, and they're put together in such a dopey groove-impact-oriented way. This band is barely death metal at this point.

Also, five yard penalty for disingenuously attempting to associate themselves with a far superior mid '90s Finnish black metal act.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 pm 

Only one riff that actually sounded like a Kataklysm riff.

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 am 

Indecency wrote:
Another irrelevant point here. I don't get why people like this band's early stuff. The guitars can be there sometimes but I've found the vocals to be absolutely atrocious (some of the worst I've heard), and while Duhamel's drumming is fast and skilled, it's still frankly appalling and embarrassing for a studio recording. He tries playing stuff that he physically cannot play and ends up doing blast beat sections where he fall out of tempo and it just sounds cringey. I'm pretty sure that drumming issue went on all the way until In the Arms of Devastation, which is pathetic since by that point it was 2006 and they had already released 7 albums beforehand. I really don't get how As I Slither ever because of their big songs... That song is atrocious.

The vocals are a big part of the appeal, at least for me. It's that deranged beyond comprehension thing, which also works in conjunction with the otherworldly lyrics and makes for a relatively unique experience (but then again, I simply love this all-out-deranged approach to vocals, and generally think that Maurizio is a barely passable vocalist, if passable). The way the vocals and the overall theme interacts with the riff construction is also interesting, as there's something of a contrast here. The riffwork is okay to really good (Sorcery would be the best place to look for hot early Kataklysm riffs), and Max's technique doesn't in any way ruin the music (it's the kind of death metal that does not depend on pristine technique and ultra-precise execution, at least in my opinion).

Anyway, I actually got around to listening to the entire album. Not that bad an impression so far, which is kind of surprising. There's a fair amount of death metal riffs from what I can recall (and generic melodeath generally tends to work better when it's presented in a more aggressive way). I'll give the album more spins, that's for sure.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm 

I think the album is alright. Not as good as Waiting for the End to Come. However I really can't agree with hating on Max Duhamel's drumming or Sylvain Houde regarding the old material. Back in the day Houde was considered one of the best death metal vocalist/lyricists. It's almost a ritual incantation and his batshit crazy approach was incredibly unique; he was usually mentioned in the same breath as Lord Worm back then. I guess it is a love it or hate it approach. Duhamel's unhinged drumming I think had a lot to do with both how things were recorded, from what I recall he didn't trigger his drums and they used to call their music Northern Hyperblast; again it was something that made that band stand out back in the day.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:31 pm 

Early Kataklysm is awesome. They managed to take death metal to the limits of its extremity, at least aesthetically when it comes to how fast it goes, how frenetic the riffing is, and how bizarre the vocals get, and yet they were also almost proto-melodic death metal at points. The combo of really fast crazy stuff and surprisingly consonant melodies hadn't really been done by anyone else up to the point of Kataklysm doing it, and nobody has really seen fit to pick up on that style since then (possible exception being the first Axis of Advance album, who interestingly enough are also Canadian).

The way it feels like its all about to fall apart with Max Duhamel drumming right at the limit of his ability and Sylvain Houde freaking out on the mic is a big part of why Sorcery is such a classic for me. Temple of Knowledge feels more polished and "normal" in comparison, apart from the vocals which go even more off the rails at points. That was the album that got me into Kataklysm, but I think Sorcery is a bit more unique. Either way, post-Houde Kataklysm feels like a completely different band, and that's not just because the vocals are different.

Reply to topic