Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:35 am 

So here's one for all you out there:

Do you actually like Chuck Schuldiner's vocals?

Personally they completely ruin Death for me. If Death had a different singer, they'd probably be one of my favourite bands. He completely grates in my ears. There's just something about his tone.

The only time I can tolerate them is Scream Bloody Gore cause they're buried in the mix. I dread listening to the remastered version lest those vocals be raised up from the murky mire!

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:38 am 

I like them. Sure I love deeper growls but this voice suits the music, at least when it was recorded.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 am 

Of course I do. It took me a while to get used to his more higher pitched vocals from ITP onwards, but I got used to them.

Never had an issue with his vocals pre-ITP. Fucking love them on Leprosy.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 am 

I've got nothing against higher pitched vox in death metal - in fact I think it definitely has a place in the genre. It's more just about Chuck's actual voice.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:02 am 

Definitely dig his style, although I guess it did get worse as it went on. Not a super huge fan of the later stuff anyway, but he didn't sound too hot on TSOP.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 am 

The latter Death years definitely took some warming up to when it came to hearing his vocals. Symbolic is now one of my favorite albums and I think he sounds great on that for what he's doing. The Sound of Perseverance however I don't know. That one last I remember hearing was bad.

The "Painkiller" cover especially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPliK3eAy4 . Yup, still sucks.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 am 

I like them, but I can see how people find them grating on "The Sound of Perseverance".

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Thoth Amon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 am 

His vox on SBG and Leprosy are amazing. So, yes. I like his vocals. I hear nothing wrong with them at all.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 am 

Vocals can ruin a band more than anything else. While I'm not a big fan of Chuck's vocals I can listen to them without getting irritated

ElectricBasement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:53 am 

Yes, his vocals were terrific. And TSOP is one of my favourites from Death. Top shelf.

into_the_pit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:56 am 

I seriously hate them. I can only listen to SBG, but they're not my preferred cup musically anyway.

the only other top-tier death metal band with even worse vocals are obituary.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 am 

This is such a silly thread. What's next? Do you actually like Flo Mournier's drumming? Is Jon Schaffer actually good at playing gallops?

As for my actual answer, anybody who doesn't like him from Leprosy - Human is crazy, and one of the greatest mysteries in metal is how his voice on The Sound of Perseverance is so divisive and yet the entire metal community happily lines up to suck Vektor's dick.

Necrobiotik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:06 am 

Dave Mustaine of death metal.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:13 am 

I love them on SBG, liked them on Leprosy, then the whole band went to shit anyway so :DONTKNOW:

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:29 am 

He was never exceptional or anything, but he was pretty good on the first 4 Death albums. After that though his voice got higher, and higher, and higher, and by their last album he ended up sounding completely awful.

stainedclass2112, on Delain wrote:
...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

acid_bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:58 am 

Necrobiotik wrote:

That's actually a great way to put it. Like Mustaine's voice and Megadeth, I can't think of Death sounding like Death without Chuck's voice. SBG and Leprosy have that raw, primal kind of growl, like he needs to get the words out before his throat fills with blood, and the later stuff with the higher pitched/"cleaner" approach fit the music just fine.

So yes, I like Chuck's voice. It's actually one of the things that I like most about Death since I'm not a huge fan.

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 am 

I don't, but I still listen to Death plenty. When it comes to mid-range death vocals, I prefer to 2 in Misery Index over the John Tardy types.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:24 am 

Necrobiotik wrote:

I hate Dave´s vocals so this comparion should be punished. :D

And I love Death´s version of Painkiller.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:32 am 

Yeah, pretty terrible comparison :D

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Dungeon_Vic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:36 am 

Love them. Favorite era being Human and ITP but he sounds great on every album except for TSOP, imo.
My main complaint with TSOP was his vocals, which I don't like, although they don't ruin it for me.

As for the Vektor thing, DiSanto's vocals share the high-pitch of the TSOP-style but they are quite different. Especially on the first two. And on Terminal Redux, if anything, they are less special and sound closer to typical black metal vocals. Which is the only disappointment (a minor one though) I had with Terminal Redux.

Vic's Dungeon:
Best of 2015

Remember the Fallen: Roger Patterson (Atheist), Gus Chambers (Grip Inc.), Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:23 am 

I love Chuck. His performance on the first couple albums is my favorite for death metal vocals that aren't in the Will Rahmer style.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 am 

I personally cannot get into Chuck's vocals though I don't hate them. Death is an outstanding band musically but the vocals simply don't do it for me. Since two of you already mentioned the Painkiller cover: I damn looooove it! His harsh wails are beyond awesome, he should have established a speed metal band using this style only. :headbang:

Nhor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:11 am 

Yeah I don't like em either, but they do have some damn good riffs. Been trying to get into it for years just can't do it though.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 am 

Chuck>Tardy

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:40 am 

Well, ya got me. When I say I enjoy something, I'm really just lying. Because reasons.

But really, considering how different they were from almost an album-to-album basis, you can't honestly expect much in the way of consensus.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Rompestromper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 am 

I really love them, they fit the music very well and you clearly hear to he is 1000% in it.
TSOP is a very polarizing album I think but I think is an absolutely great album.
Were I do understand the choice of a different singer, I find it too bad that he didn't sing on Control Denied as well (on some demo he sounds pretty rad though).

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:57 am 

The Red Tower wrote:
Since two of you already mentioned the Painkiller cover: I damn looooove it! His harsh wails are beyond awesome, he should have established a speed metal band using this style only. :headbang:

Yeah, his vocals there are awesome but probably he tore his vocal chords there. Had he lived more, expect more Control Denied coming our way. And besides he was more interested in that kind of music.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:35 pm 

Never found anything wrong with them. Maybe not as stand-outish as other vocalists, but they get the job well done, they fit the music, and are instantly recognizable.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm 

They're great from SBG through Spiritual Healing, but I start liking them less and less with each album after that. I can barely listen to TSOP, that Painkiller cover is one of the most cringeworthy things ever (not just for the vocals either.)

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:35 pm 

They annoyed me at first. Especially the hoarse ITP vocals but they've grown on me over the years. But I love Sean Killian's vocals so what do I know?

Last edited by Deathwish77 on Fri May 27, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 pm 

Schuldiner's vocals were absolutely top-tier on Scream Bloody Gore-- one of my favourite extreme metal vocal performances of all time. I think later albums saw his vocals shift towards something less primal and vicious, a little angrier, suitable for the lyrics he was writing at the time. I don't like them quite as much, and I can see why the vocals on The Sound of Perseverance in particular might be pretty grating, but for my own part, his vocals never entered 'actively annoying' territory for me. Absolutely phenomenal at their best, unremarkable but fitting at worst.

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Oh cool, ham is a condiment. The more you know.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:20 pm 

I love pretty much anything related to Death, but i must admit that the vocals on Symbolic and TSOP are more an acquire taste to me.

http://www.facebook.com/NARAKU666

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:25 pm 

I very do!

vulcan plutarchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:10 pm 

I only have Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance but I love his vocals on both.

How many of you folks are into Demilich's vocals? That's a hill I haven't been able to climb.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:24 pm 

Soundwise, Chuck vocals were easily the worst part of Death, but it's still listenable.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
I only have Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance but I love his vocals on both.

How many of you folks are into Demilich's vocals? That's a hill I haven't been able to climb.

The toad vocals are oddly fitting to the ominous sound of Nespithe IMO

http://www.facebook.com/NARAKU666

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:22 pm 

I think his vocals in the TSOP would be fine if musically and lyrically it was actual death metal.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
I think his vocals in the TSOP would be fine if musically and lyrically it was actual death metal.

It's absolutely death metal, just progressive/melodic death. I consider Tiamat's "Clouds", Sentenced's "Amok", or In Flames' "Clayman" to be some form of "death metal" (well maybe not so much the In Flames album), so I don't see how it's any stretch at all for an album like "The Sound of Perseverance" to belong to the genre, it has plenty brutal, death metal-tinged riffs.

Anyway, Death is my all-time favorite band (and has been for years) so yes, of course I love Chuck's voice. I don't think he's the absolute best at that style (which for me is Morgoth's Marc Grewe, during his prime) but I've never had any problems with his vocals, though I'll admit that he has some awkward vocal patterns (like "SU-I-CIDE MA......CHINE!"), not bad or annoying by any means but certainly strange, but it doesn't bother me after hearing it 100,000 times over the years, and it makes sense that he phrases his lyrics differently because he's playing such technical riffs while singing/growling.

Last edited by true_death on Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 pm 

I agree with what TrooperEd and a lot of people have said; that his early material, when it was more brutal, heavy and aggressive, sounded perfect with harsh, guttural vocals. The later stuff, not so much. I think he tried to moderate his vocals for the more progressive, less heavy stuff on the later albums but just couldn't quite make it work as well. Overall though I have no real problem with his vocals. Although, after seeing a Beavis and Butthead skit where they made fun of him in one of his videos, I haven't been able to listen some of the newer stuff without giggling a little bit.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:25 am 

Took me years to tolerate his awful vocal style. Sucks because the music is top notch.

Mine's Bigger Than Yours!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next