Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 pm 

New track 'Drawing Down the Rain' by the victorian metallers from their upcoming album due to be released in February. Sounds like it will be another killer album from this unique band, something I cant wait to hear.

Youtube: show

The cover art is stunning to say the least (full layout below) -

Spoiler: show

Last edited by STORMM on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:48 pm 

Judging by the track, this record might be their best yet; they seem to have reeled-back the zany elements but kept everything that was good about them, too. The bass-drum sound is a bit irritating at times, but that's not a huge set-back in the grand scheme of the sound. I loved the album previous to this one, although I've had trouble ever getting into the first two.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Judging by the track, this record might be their best yet; they seem to have reeled-back the zany elements but kept everything that was good about them, too. The bass-drum sound is a bit irritating at times, but that's not a huge set-back in the grand scheme of the sound. I loved the album previous to this one, although I've had trouble ever getting into the first two.

Like you I adored the previous album and found it more accessible than the first two. I also agree that this could be there strongest most and most appealing work to date. We will know very soon.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 am 

Pre-ordered the limited edition with all kinds of stuff. Fucking love the living shit out of the latest one. I don't really care much for the Corpse of Rebirth, while the second album is a solid 3,5/5. A Shadowplay of Yesterdays is on my top 10 albums of all time so I'm kinda excited.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:10 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Pre-ordered the limited edition with all kinds of stuff. Fucking love the living shit out of the latest one. I don't really care much for the Corpse of Rebirth, while the second album is a solid 3,5/5. A Shadowplay of Yesterdays is on my top 10 albums of all time so I'm kinda excited.

The limited edition does sound interesting! The last album was indeed a stunning release and the video they made for 'Gatherer of the Pure' has to be one the best music videos by a metal band, it was really well done and quite fitting to the victorian atmosphere they portray.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:29 pm 

cool track

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:05 pm 

DAT LAYOUT!!! :o :drool: :love:

And I don't even like this band! Man, such a pity that Alex doesn't do these kind of drawings for his main band... :(

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm 

androdion wrote:

And I don't even like this band! Man, such a pity that Alex doesn't do these kind of drawings for his main band... :(

The more I look at the artwork the more I am inclined to say it is one of the best album covers I have seen, would not mind a poster of that on my wall drodi.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:22 pm 

STORMM wrote:
androdion wrote:

The more I look at the artwork the more I am inclined to say it is one of the best album covers I have seen, would not mind a poster of that on my wall drodi.

I hear you mate. But I fear that when Alex does put it up for sale it will cost over 200 quid, plus shipping, for what I suppose should be a painting big enough to actually cover my wall! :D

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 pm 

That artwork is something else alright. Wow!

Cool band in many ways... have all their previous albums, this is looking like a vinyl must perhaps haha. Nice ...so nice.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:40 am 

Wow, the new song is just brilliant!!! I must keep an eye on this new album when its out.

The first album was quite weird for my taste, the second was better, at least for me. Strange enough, I forgot this band and I havent realized that they released an album three years ago. Is it worth of it?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Wow, the new song is just brilliant!!! I must keep an eye on this new album when its out.

The first album was quite weird for my taste, the second was better, at least for me. Strange enough, I forgot this band and I havent realized that they released an album three years ago. Is it worth of it?

I highly recommend you give the last album a listen Paganbasque. Definitely their best work to date and like yourself I was not as much of a fan of the first two albums. I think you will enjoy, give it a few spins and let it sink in then watch the music video for Gatherer of the Pure, an awesome piece of art.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 am 

A Shadowplay for Yesterdays was a very nice album, but this song easily reaches the level of the best songs on that album. The new album will be one to keep an eye on!

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:15 am 

STORMM wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

I highly recommend you give the last album a listen Paganbasque. Definitely their best work to date and like yourself I was not as much of a fan of the first two albums. I think you will enjoy, give it a few spins and let it sink in then watch the music video for Gatherer of the Pure, an awesome piece of art.

OK! I will listen to it.

The more I listen to the new track the more I like it, its just beautiful.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm 

That song was magnificent, and if the rest of the album reaches that standard then this may already be the album of 2015 for me.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Have read a few very positive reviews so I too have ordered the limited edition, especially for the bonus disc ep (and green tea :) ). By the sounds of things the track above is only the tip of the iceberg, super excited for this now!!

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm 

A music video for that new song just came out, made by the same guy who did the video for "Gatherer of the Pure".

Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:57 pm 

New song posted, not liking it very much:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm 

^ Not bad but nowhere near as good as the first track. It will probably fit better when listening to the album as a whole, there should be quite alot of variation from start to finish. We will know soon enough! Most of the reviews I have read say the same thing that they were worried that 'Drowning Down the Rain' which is the first track on the album would be the best, it seems this is not the case which is good news as it is an awesome track.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 am 

This makes me feel hopeful, I hope there are more songs in the vein of the first one.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm 

Well yes, it is not as good as 'Drawing Down the Rain' but it is not often you hear a song that good. As for this new one, I really enjoyed the few touches of psychedelia here and there. Also, the subtle keys in the last few minutes are done really well! I'm forever influenced by the image of the band, so towards the end of "Virtus Sola Invicta" pictures of Victorian-era London flooded my mind. They really nail that atmosphere. In context of the album, I expect the song to sound even better.

Last edited by ThePoop on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm 

listening to "drawing down the rain" and i'm not hearing this "victorian" sound, hey. if anything i'm hearing "folk" melodies a la primordial. tbh it's a good thing - i associate victorian london with top hats and aviator goggles so it's definitely in the band's favour that i'm not hearing that. this is a cool track. as i said, bit of the primordial thing going on, and well-written 9 minutes of song... yeah, good stuff. and the artwork is great.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 pm 

I'm enjoying it a lot. His vocals seem more fitting on this album than the previous. Perhaps more developed though no less theatrical and crazy. Lots of 70s prog in this one which is a surefire way to impress me.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:03 am 

A Forest Of Snores

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 am 

bug_man wrote:
A Forest Of Snores

:getout:

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm 

Heard the album twice and it's very fucking good. It's way more cohesive than an album like Opportunistic Thieves of Spring (that I should perhaps revisit though), I'm not even sure I've heard A Shadowplay for Yesterdays since I didn't really like OToS. I've always been a big fan of these musicians though (especially the core involved in Electric Mud Generator, I gave a 95% to their 2nd album) and I really wanted to appreciate AFoS more, I think this one will lead to that.

It's very diverse but like I said, totally cohesive. A bunch of violins and some other instruments, spoken word, female vocals, everything works. The Pawn On The Universal Chessboard divided track is truly excellent and progressive as fuck. A great album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 pm 

Cheers for the update Tony. The Pawn in the Universal Chessboard is mentioned quite a bit as the highlight of the album especially the last part. I have got word that my limited version is on route so will let you guys know what the bonus tracks are like and what the green tea tastes like :-D

Reply to topic