Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
scarsymmetry666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:08 pm 

Excuse the un-original idea, but I figured it would make for an interesting discussion and allow all flavors of metal fans to contribute. Whether it be a song with lyrics that speak to you in some way, a song that evokes certain thoughts, or simply just blew you away when you first heard it. Name a song that holds some kind of special meaning to you and explain why.

I would say a song that is pretty special to me is Trail of Tears by Gates of Ishtar. The level of raw emotion in this song always gets to me. I also like how the vocals are quite understandable, and I really resonate with the message of the song. It just whisks you away on this melodic journey that is both beautiful in its own way and truly dark at its core.

Youtube: show

Lyrics:
Spoiler: show
Fallen blind to the demons within
The path to take and I walk it in pain
A darkened mind of destructive taste
My hateful seed grows stronger within
My own hatred - it burns deep inside
My eyes are blind to the demons within
My own hatred - I scream inside
My lips are sealed by the kiss of non-divine
My pain is drowning in the tears I cannot shed
As flowers withers life must come to an end
Can't put me out of my own misery
So I continue on my darkened trail of tears
My own hatred, my trail of tears
My pain is drowning in the tears I cannot shed
My own journey I'll walk to the end
As flowers withers every man has his trails
My own hatred, my trail of tears
My eyes are blind to the demons inside
My own hatred - it grows inside
I hide my fear in the mists of slumbering wine
My constant presence will torment my soul
Like claws from the past, in my eyes shredding tears
Can't put me out of my own misery
So I walk forever on my darkened trail of tears

Sepulchrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:29 pm 

Bit of a cliché, but listening to Det som en gang var (the song) made me realise that metal had an epic dimension, too. I remember listening to it in my bed, with my phone, and watching my room look vaguely like HLTO''s album cover. It was a fantastic and vaguely hallucinatory experience, and also one that firmly compelled me to be a fan of metal.

Ку.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 pm 

Falconer - Royal Galley (acoustic)

This song makes me feel as if I'm on a galley in the 16th century with the waves crashing down upon the vessel. It's haunting, yet beautiful and Mathias Blad's vocals are exceptional.

Sabaton - Hearts of Iron

This is such a sad song. I could not imagine fighting for years, only to end up fighting to surrender to one enemy instead of the other. In my opinion, it's the best song Sabaton has ever written and it's one of the few songs that leaves me in awe.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:45 pm 

Around the fall of 2012, I had a dream that I was back at my parents house, and all these people, friends of my mom and dad's were over at some pot luck thing. But I wanted nothing to do with them, I just wasn't in the mood to deal with them. I didn't really understand why at the time but I just didn't- like I wished these family friends would just leave me alone. So for whatever reason, in the dream, I withdrew to my room and started cranking Volbeat's "Fallen" (Off the "Beyond Hell..." album.)

About eight or nine months later, Dad died. Then, the funeral reception, the "potluck thing" in the dream happened for real. Except now I had a crystal clear understanding why that dream was a foreshadowing, and why that song was so relevant. I liked that song at the time, and still do, but I seriously cannot listen to it now. It has too much an effect on me. And I don't really like having those kinds of feelings. This is getting too personal to talk about in fact, I almost really don't want to post this- but I have a much clearer understanding of what Michel Poulsen was feeling when he wrote that song.

scarsymmetry666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:59 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Around the fall of 2012, I had a dream that I was back at my parents house, and all these people, friends of my mom and dad's were over at some pot luck thing. But I wanted nothing to do with them, I just wasn't in the mood to deal with them. I didn't really understand why at the time but I just didn't- like I wished these family friends would just leave me alone. So for whatever reason, in the dream, I withdrew to my room and started cranking Volbeat's "Fallen" (Off the "Beyond Hell..." album.)

About eight or nine months later, Dad died. Then, the funeral reception, the "potluck thing" in the dream happened for real. Except now I had a crystal clear understanding why that dream was a foreshadowing, and why that song was so relevant. I liked that song at the time, and still do, but I seriously cannot listen to it now. It has too much an effect on me. And I don't really like having those kinds of feelings. This is getting too personal to talk about in fact, I almost really don't want to post this- but I have a much clearer understanding of what Michel Poulsen was feeling when he wrote that song.

That was deep bro, honestly thanks for sharing. I feel the exact same way with certain songs. There are some songs that i'll listen too and i'll immediately be brought back to the first time I heard that song and it is a great feeling but there are other songs that just bring back terrible memories that I refuse to listen too. For example, a song called Vesta by a band called Soilwork. I listened to that song right around the time I just got out of a nasty relationship, and the lyrics resonated way too well with how I felt about my ex. Makes me think Bjorn Strid probably went through some similar shit to me, always a comforting thought to know at least someone out there knows your struggle.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:06 pm 

Delains - April Rain

There are reasons it is special to me why you ask? Well I don't want to go into it much. It goes into a few areas I don't want to talk about such as mental health.

Reply to topic