Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:40 pm 

My penny pinching selection from Omega's Spring Cleaning clearance sale:

Emptiness - Oblivion (Really good crunchy and morose black/death that doesn't sound like any other band described as "black/death" -- you can tell how they seized on this unique sound and perfected it eventually on Nothing But the Whole.)

Fallen Christ - Abduction Ritual (Hadn't been familiar with these guys but a few YT clips mandated I grab it. Pretty demented, it sounds like Deicide taken to a grinding extreme with some black metal violence thrown in for good measure.)

Malfeitor - Unio Mystica Maxima (Good if somewhat standardized Italian black metal thing. Loved their other album, Incubus; this one feels even more sinister and less shiny. I may end up preferring this one.)

Complete String Quartets by Beethoven c/o the Tokyo String Quartet (For $17 on Amazon I couldn't afford not to!)

Christian Death - Catastrophe Ballet; Ashes (On a huge goth kick lately and I've been needing these for a while. Whenever I hear stuff like this, or Bauhaus' In the Flat Field, it's almost depressing how an entire genre of music sprang forth without capturing anything that made the originators so great. [I'm sure this is how Fenriz feels about black metal's rapid decline after the early second wave.] There really isn't anything like Christian Death's first three albums; anything that became a trademark of the whole Goth Rock style was just a sliver of this band's sound. It's more like Velvet Underground and Bowie meets 80's New Wave. [I do like the post-Rozz era too, as long as I don't think too hard about how it all played out.] These SoM remasters were done by Valor and he did a tremendous job. I haven't even gotten to Ashes because I keep listening to CB.)

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 pm 

Manilla Road - Spiral castle (Red LP)
Manilla Road - Mysterium (Purple LP)
Manilla Road - Mark of the beast (Sky blue DLP)
Manilla road - Mystification (CD)
Earth - The bees made honey in the lions skull (Leather bound bible edition DLP)
Pyramids - A northern meadow (LP)
The Wandering midget - From the meadows of opium dreams (Gray DLP)
Godspeed You! Black emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞ (LP)
Slough Feg - Atavism (CD) My Feg collection is finally complete. How have i gone so long without owning this one?
Dawnbringer - Night of the hammer (LP)
Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends (LP)

And some very tasty mead to top it all off. Highly recommended if you can manage to get your hands on it...Viking's Blod baby!

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Ranur5555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 am 

From last week:

Cirrhus - Demo 2008
Furdidurke - Furdidurke

Kêres - Battle Secrets
Circle of Ouroborus - Alttarimyllyt
Funerary Pit - Winds of Hell

Svartidaudi - The Synthesis of Whore and Beast
Svartidaudi - The Temple of Deformation
Usva/Draco - Re-Desecrating the South Carelian Graves

Sect Pig - Slave Destroyer
Sect Pig - Self Reversed
Chaos Echoes - Transient

Irreversible Mechanism - Infinite Fields

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am 

Ranur5555 wrote:
Svartidaudi - The Temple of Deformation

Curious about how this one sounds. I love Flesh Cathedral and The Synthesis of Whore and Beast, but I'm not familiar with their demo period. How does it fare against the rest?

Ranur5555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm 

@androdion: Sound is really good for being a demo. It isn't as intricate as Flesh Cathedrals music-wise, but I'd say the riffing is still undeniably Svartidaudi but not as defined yet. The song-lengths are just about right when considering what they present here, in comparison to Flesh Cathedral. Not as maze-ish as the full-length. Haven't heard Synthesis yet so I don't know how it holds up in comparison to that one. Hope the songwriting is more in the FC-vibe.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:02 pm 

Had to take advantage of the last day of SKR's 20% off sale:

Aktor - Paranoia (I sampled about 5 seconds of this and loved it. I'm hoping this may end up being Professor Black's best project. More BOC influence is always welcome in heavy metal.)

Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer [Cassette] (I've needed this Inquisition record FOR-EV-ER. Very excited. The last I need to complete the collection is Nefarious Dismal Orations. What an incredible band, and incredibly consistent.)

Sabbat - Evoke (I've become a Sabbat nut over the last four or five months. Slowly trying to obtain all their full-lengths. This one isn't that hard to find but getting it for around $10 was hard to pass up on. It's Karisma that seems to be really difficult to find...)

Tormentor - Anno Domini (A legendary release of first wave black metal. I haven't heard it in years because I could never find a physical copy. This is apparently a re-issue with the original master which is perfect.)

Acid - Acid (SPEEED METTALLL!!!!!!)

Race Against Time - Time Waits for No Man (This is such a cool find for me. I'm a huge Hell (demos) fan, and this is Dave Halliday's nwobhm act before Hell formed. I know they aren't going to be as heavy on the satan and the evil but I'm just a big fan of his, and the Race Against Time cover on the Hell demos is weird as shit and awesome)

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Aktor - Paranoia (I sampled about 5 seconds of this and loved it. I'm hoping this may end up being Professor Black's best project. More BOC influence is always welcome in heavy metal.)

Cool dude, I think i'll grab that one up myself; though as far as Black's best...I dunno man, Bury the light and Night of the hammer (which IMO is leagues ahead of the rest of Dawnbringers output) will be really tough to top..

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:19 pm 

Cannabis Corpse - The Weeding
Deeds of Flesh - Inbreeding the Anthropophagi
Deeds of Flesh - Path of the Weakening

Also Hell's Headbangers has a selection of CD's for $3.33, I grabbed:

Manilla Road - Mystification
Dismember - Where Ironcrosses Grow

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:23 pm 

This came in today:

Behemoth - Grom

Now I have all of Behemoth's studio albums on vinyl! :-D

Now onto the rest of their discography!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:04 pm 

Ranur5555 wrote:
@androdion: Sound is really good for being a demo. It isn't as intricate as Flesh Cathedrals music-wise, but I'd say the riffing is still undeniably Svartidaudi but not as defined yet. The song-lengths are just about right when considering what they present here, in comparison to Flesh Cathedral. Not as maze-ish as the full-length. Haven't heard Synthesis yet so I don't know how it holds up in comparison to that one. Hope the songwriting is more in the FC-vibe.

For those who care about the EP: https://daemonworship.bandcamp.com/albu ... -and-beast

From what I get it's more straightforward black metal as opposed to the dissonant/atmospheric stuff of the full-length? Is it available for preview somewhere on the Internet?!

Ranur5555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:17 pm 

@androdion: Yes it's definitely more straight forward than the full-length. But still I'd say it got something that sets it apart from many other black metal-demos these days. You know, the riffs and the atmosphere. Got some serious Si Monumentum-era DsO vibes from the intro. Don't know about any sites with samples, but there's always YouTube I guess.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 pm 

Ranur5555 wrote:
@androdion: Yes it's definitely more straight forward than the full-length. But still I'd say it got something that sets it apart from many other black metal-demos these days. You know, the riffs and the atmosphere. Got some serious Si Monumentum-era DsO vibes from the intro. Don't know about any sites with samples, but there's always YouTube I guess.

Yeah, it's on Youtube. :) I've heard it, seems a bit archaic and undeveloped when compared to Flesh Cathedral, and definitely more straightforward than it. It still (or already for that matter) shows signs of the band's sound, but it's different enough to notice. The new EP is kind of 50-50 between the album and the demo, more in the vein of the intro but with and added development and dissonant palette of sound, so to speak. I'll have to work on these two a bit, he he.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:37 am 

Some Metallica stuff...

"You make it easy."

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 am 

PhantomGreen wrote:

Is this a new repress or something? Looks great.
Te only MR album I don't have on vinyl...!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:44 am 

These, instead, I've (re)buy cause of the total unfriendly collection split with my brother. He came to me after two years from the split saying he was not satisfied with some trades we've done at the time and then I had gained more in terms of money. relatives snakes... :grr: :annoyed:

"You make it easy."

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:09 am 

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Ritual Carnage - Every Nerve Alive
Megadeth - United Abominations
Wehrmacht - Biermacht/Shark Attack
Sodom - Persecution Mania

Normally the shop i got this doesn't have much used cd's.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Fallen Christ - Abduction Ritual (Hadn't been familiar with these guys but a few YT clips mandated I grab it. Pretty demented, it sounds like Deicide taken to a grinding extreme with some black metal violence thrown in for good measure.)

Christian Death - Catastrophe Ballet; Ashes (On a huge goth kick lately and I've been needing these for a while. Whenever I hear stuff like this, or Bauhaus' In the Flat Field, it's almost depressing how an entire genre of music sprang forth without capturing anything that made the originators so great. [I'm sure this is how Fenriz feels about black metal's rapid decline after the early second wave.] There really isn't anything like Christian Death's first three albums; anything that became a trademark of the whole Goth Rock style was just a sliver of this band's sound. It's more like Velvet Underground and Bowie meets 80's New Wave. [I do like the post-Rozz era too, as long as I don't think too hard about how it all played out.] These SoM remasters were done by Valor and he did a tremendous job. I haven't even gotten to Ashes because I keep listening to CB.)

Killer scores on those albums! Catastrophe Ballet is seriously underrated. It seems like everyone strictly goes to OToP when it comes to Christian Death. I'm not super into Ashes but I need to listen to it more.

Black Witchery / Revenge - Holocaustic Death March to Humanity's Doom (not bad, but probably the weakest material I've heard from both bands)
Black Witchery - Desecration of the Holy Kingdom
Pyrexia - Sermon of Mockery (very happy to see this reissued)
Full of Hell / Merzbow - Full of Hell / Merzbow (not a huge FoH fan but this is pretty good. The Merzbow disc is nasty)
Sol Invictus - In the Rain
New Order - Technique
Coil - Horse Rotorvator, Love's Secret Domain, Scatology

also have incoming:
Dark Heresy - Abstract Principles Taken to Their Logical Extremes CD
The Sisters of Mercy - Some Girls Wander by Mistake CD
Cam'ron - Purple Haze CD (KILLA)
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon LP
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet LP

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:03 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Christian Death - Catastrophe Ballet; Ashes

Kudos, both great albums! I am a pretty big Rozz Williams fanboy, though I do think some of the early post-Rozz CD stuff is very, very good.

I also like and recommend the 90's "Christian Death feat. Rozz Williams" albums, but I find them more comparable to Shadow Project than Christian Death's first three albums. I think Valor's incarnation of the band became totally unlistenable around the time of Sexy Death God (even the title sucks). Every subsequent album has been worse than the last from that point on IMHO.

Numerator_41 wrote:
Catastrophe Ballet is seriously underrated. It seems like everyone strictly goes to OToP when it comes to Christian Death. I'm not super into Ashes but I need to listen to it more.

I'm willing to argue that CB is the band's most recognized and praised album right after OToP. I think OToP is just the bigger pop culture point of reference. Catastrophe Ballet gets all the praise it's due all the same. I mean, from non-casuals of course... :panda:

Some great recent purchases from you, too, BTW...
Last thing I bought was a demo CDr by a band called Mudsex. It's awful. I love it.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:41 pm 

Haha I actually have come to really like Sexy Death God, even if the first ... several times I tried listening to it I was like, "Is this ... for real? Am I supposed to take this seriously?" Not sure what changed or clicked in my brain. Atrocities however is unquestionably great.

They have a new crowdfunding plea on their site and it's as embarrassing as you'd expect.
http://www.christiandeath.com/ (warning: autoplay)

I really want that Pyrexia reissue but the one track I've heard sounds like all the atmosphere has been sucked out of it by cranking the volume into the red. I like that the original sounded like it was coming from a crawlspace under your feet. Numerator, do you have a dynamic range analysis program? There's an unfortunate lack of Pyrexia on this site.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:01 pm 

I'm going to be lame and not post a picture because almost everything I own is currently in boxes. Stuff I've bought this monthish:

Gorguts - Obscura - 2015 reissue
Ascendant - Serenity EP
Monotheist - Genesis of Perdition EP
Adorned in Ash - The Dead Walk Among Us
Living Sacrifice - Living Sacrifice 1999 Solid State reissue
Sacrificium - Prey for Your Gods
Sacrificium - Escaping the Stupor
Divine Symphony - The History
Crimson Moonlight - The Suffering -single
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro - first press (thanks dreadmeat)
Dir en grey - Macabre

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:18 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
I really want that Pyrexia reissue but the one track I've heard sounds like all the atmosphere has been sucked out of it by cranking the volume into the red. I like that the original sounded like it was coming from a crawlspace under your feet. Numerator, do you have a dynamic range analysis program? There's an unfortunate lack of Pyrexia on this site.

I don't have a program like that, but it's easy to tell the album has been remastered (in a bad way). That and the redone artwork are pretty lame, but it's better than paying the price for an original.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
PhantomGreen wrote:

Is this a new repress or something? Looks great.
Te only MR album I don't have on vinyl...!

yeah its the Monster Records reissue from 2010 (?) I think. Got it from Rockadrome out of San Antonio.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:44 pm 

Behemoth - The Satanist

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 pm 

Ceremonial Castings-Cthulhu
Forefather-Curse of the Cwelled

Sadly not physical copies, but through bandcamp. Still happy to have them though!

Also:

Wilderun-Sleep at the Edge of Earth

Haven't received this one yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am 

Real Groovy haul from about 2 weeks ago, I'm back on day/evening shifts now so I can actually get in there but I've been busy as and had to cover some other guy's shifts at work so haven't been able to get back in.

Afflicted - Prodigal Sun [POL, 2008 Digipak reissue] pretty cool stuff
Cave In - Creative Eclipses [US] blind buy, nothing too outstanding but good enough to own
Crucifix - Visions Of Nihilism [SPA] whoah! this rules, sounds like Morpheus Descends / Morta Skuld
Deicide - In Torment In Hell [AUS] an average Deicide album, got it because it's the Australian version
Diabolical Masquerade - Ravendusk In My Heart [UK, 2007 Digipak reissue] not bad, reminds me of another band I can't quite put my finger on
Fear Factory - Mechanize [AUS/NZ] meh
M.O.D. - Gross Misconduct [US, original] not bad, needs another listen, meaning: I think I paid too much for this [re liner notes ha ha]
Neurosis - Souls At Zero [US, original] needs my full concentration, saving it for a rainy day, I enjoy this band but struggle with them at times
NunSlaughter - Angelic Dread [US, 2xCD] disc 2 has re-recorded old songs, sounds good, sounds like NunSlaughter
Pantera - Unofficial Hits [US, it actually IS official, it's a promo/sampler] evidently not very common
Pungent Stench - For God Your Soul ... For Me Your Flesh [US, remixed/re-recorded] my favourite version of this album, I now have it on tape, LP and CD
Purtenance - Member Of Immortal Damnation [SPA, 2011 reissue] I should have bought this years ago, wicked stuff
Ramesses - Misanthropic Alchemy [UK] so this is half of Electric Wizard... it's interesting and excellent in its own right
The Desert Sessions - 9 & 10 [AUS] Josh Homme and PJ Harvey doing stuff
The Obsessed - The Church Within [AUS, original] excellent album that took me a long time to enjoy, new to Discogs
Thrones - Day Late, Dollar Short [US, compilation] I got this because I heard the track Senex on a Southern Lord sampler
Voïvod - Killing Technology [US, very old Noise press] woops, I have 2 copies of this now and the LP

Markdown - Markdown [NZ, tape] support your local band and record store, the band work at Real Groovy Auckland the lyrics are themed around this too

Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries [US, original LP] Saint Vitus on vinyl, great stuff
Swans - Filth [UK, 2014 reissue LP] comes with a download card and 2 huge posters, I paid far too much for this now that I'm checking online, who cares: Swans!

Pick of the litter: Crucifix because I took a gamble on it and it's really wicked old school death metal done just right but also the Pungent Stench which I can't believe was just sitting on the shelf, what luck

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:59 am 

Rush - Clockwork Angels. Found it cheap as hell at a supermarket. Great album!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:30 pm 

^ Man, I wish supermarkets in Florida sold Rush albums.

Melechesh - Enki
Rush - Fly By Night

Traded in a double copy of a Brainstorm album and got these; good deal. The Melechesh is killer and the Rush is one of theirs I haven't heard yet - gearing up for the show on the 24th.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm 

Got two more:

Mykorrhiza - Northern Rememberance
Smothered - The Inevitable End

The Mykorrhiza album is strange sounding. This album in particular has the original vocalists of Necrophobic and Excruciate singing together. Strange indeed.

Rainbow Demon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:13 pm 

Coroner - Grin
Sigh - Graveward
Tribulation - The Children of the Night
Weedeater - Goliathan

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 pm 

titan_v wrote:

The Mykorrhiza album is strange sounding. This album in particular has the original vocalists of Necrophobic and Excruciate singing together. Strange indeed.

Just how strange is it? Care to share some description on it?! ;)

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:11 pm 

titan_v wrote:
Smothered - The Inevitable End

Fantastic release!

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:04 pm 

I'd like to dedicate today's mail to user Drowned. 50+ from Hells Headbangers, 20 from Redstream plus some random Ebay winnings.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:09 pm 

Oh god, brown tape, boxes, padded envelopes?! :love: :lol: :metal:

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:10 pm 

I'll open them after my nap. Old people need naps as much as they need metal.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 am 

androdion wrote:
titan_v wrote:

Just how strange is it? Care to share some description on it?! ;)

Here's a link to the only song off that album I found:

I find it bizarre anyway.

jamz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:56 pm 

Kryzees (FRA) - The Wheel of Fate (2008)

Still Square - Laissez les Rêver (2009)

Malemort - French Romances (2012)

Warning - Métamorphose (1984 - réédition 2015)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm 

titan_v wrote:
Here's a link to the only song off that album I found:

I find it bizarre anyway.

That song left me curious, so I went ahead and downloaded the album. I'm getting this Bodyfarm meets Path Of Debris meets early 90s' Metallica clean vocals with some oddball songwriting twists, but this shit ain't half bad really! I wouldn't call it outright bizarre, but it does have a few weird moments.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:25 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'm getting this Bodyfarm meets Path Of Debris meets early 90s' Metallica clean vocals with some oddball songwriting twists

lol I'm surprised anyone remembers Path Of Debris. "The Eyes Of The Basilisk" was well worth the $1.99 I shelled out for it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:26 pm 

Put a dent in the want list and made some Discogs seller happy!

Bongzilla - Methods For Attaining Extreme Altitudes [US, EP] these guys are really growing on me, it took a while
Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption [UK] more quality doom
Corrosion Of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer [US] awful
Corrosion Of Conformity - In The Arms Of God [US] awful
Earth - Hibernaculum [US, CD+DVD] peaceful atmospheric doom, perfect for this rainy weather
Entombed - When In Sodom [US] decent EP
Goatsnake - I + Dog Days [US] I can finally take this off my want list
Godflesh - Songs Of Love And Hate [US] Frail is ok but not really my cup of tea otherwise
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus [US, repress or reissue] fan-tas-tic stuff, I'm belatedly expanding my SV collection
Sasquatch - II [US] love these guys, dude has such a cool voice and the music is top notch too
Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra [US, original] not too bad paisley hippy rock thing
Tad - 8-Way Santa [US, 1st repress without the hand/titty cover] it's no Inhaler but it's still Tad so is awesome
Tarantula Hawk - Tarantula Hawk [US, original LIA] wicked psychedelic stoner doom, can't stop playing this one
Weedeater - Sixteen Tons [US, original] pretty cool stoner sludge, I'm new to these guys, needs a few more listens

Pick of the litter: Tarantula Hawk is the hands down winner, can't stop playing this one, I'll track down some more of their stuff

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:37 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:
androdion wrote:
I'm getting this Bodyfarm meets Path Of Debris meets early 90s' Metallica clean vocals with some oddball songwriting twists

lol I'm surprised anyone remembers Path Of Debris. "The Eyes Of The Basilisk" was well worth the $1.99 I shelled out for it.

It's a great album that one. I also remember Apophis' Heliopolis which isn't completely off the mark either when it comes to comparisons. :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599 ... 767  Next