Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
notdeadyet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmg3jr7Bhfo&feature=dir

The thing is they are featured...and I saw them featured at the bottom of a Korean Pop video...Is tech death getting popular/more socially acceptable now even more so than it was before?

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm 

I thought technical death metal was already pretty popular?

notdeadyet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:25 pm 

I know...it's just seeing them featured where I usually see ijustine and random "X parody lols" crap just seems to add testament to how tech death is becoming the socially acceptable side of extreme metal.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm 

out of all the genre's in extreme metal tech death is the most popular

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

Ehh... no?

Speak for yourself.

notdeadyet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

I would think melodeath and melo/symphonic black like Dimmu Borgir would take that spot, not tech death. I think technical death metal is too sophisticated for the masses.

I don't mean tech death is too brutal or heavy, I think technical death metal has too much musical sophistication. It's too far beyond a sweet melody or a poppy chorus with a danceable beat to be as popular as it is getting now in my opinion. I can imagine the odd riffing and the strange time changes to create nothing but upset for the more pop-oriented listeners.

Feedback_Oscillation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm 

notdeadyet wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

I would think melodeath and melo/symphonic black like Dimmu Borgir would take that spot, not tech death. I think technical death metal is too sophisticated for the masses.

No, what's currently considered melodeath isn't extreme metal. As for Dimmu oriented music, it dropped in popularity.

As for Technical Death Metal being too sophisticated for the masses... no. I say this because all of the current popular Technical "Death Metal" has that mainstream feel to it.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:59 pm 

melo death is hardly extreme

Feedback_Oscillation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm 

It's not extreme at all. That's why I said, "what's considered melodeath". When I think of melodeath, I think Edge of Sanity's Spectral Sorrows, not the latest atrocity by In Flames.

notdeadyet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:09 pm 

Feedback_Oscillation wrote:
As for Technical Death Metal being too sophisticated for the masses... no. I say this because all of the current popular Technical "Death Metal" has that mainstream feel to it.

I know it's cleaner...but take...for example (something not metal, but a good parallel, somewhat...) the White Album by the Beatles. It was definitely pop, but it was too much for the majority who probably just liked "I Want to Hold Your Hand"...it was too "out there".

Similarly, even if tdm has a less abrasive sound, I think the majority of people would still be turned off by it, if not upset, as I said.

Lamb Chop
Sheri's hand is cold as the grave!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:18 pm 

The band in the video isn't what I would call tech death.

BloodandDope
ANTIFA Cheerleader (now with PMS!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 pm 

Tech death has been the mainstream death metal for a while now. That and deathcore.

Feedback_Oscillation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 pm 

notdeadyet wrote:

I know it's cleaner...but take...for example (something not metal, but a good parallel, somewhat...) the White Album by the Beatles. It was definitely pop, but it was too much for the majority who probably just liked "I Want to Hold Your Hand"...it was too "out there".

Similarly, even if tdm has a less abrasive sound, I think the majority of people would still be turned off by it, if not upset, as I said.

True. However, you forgot about the growing population of people who have no real appreciation for anything and is only out there to be into what will assist them in establishing a higher social status. Alot of these "Tech Death" bands that came around recently, had waves of these degenerates following them around.

BloodandDope
ANTIFA Cheerleader (now with PMS!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:40 pm 

notdeadyet wrote:

True. However, you forgot about the growing population of people who have no real appreciation for anything and is only out there to be into what will assist them in establishing a higher social status. Alot of these "Tech Death" bands that came around recently, had waves of these degenerates following them around.

Indeed. A lot of people who dont know anything about metal or music in general seem to lately be getting into Tech Death (or bands that try and pass as tech death) in an effort to give themselves a facade of knowing about music.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 pm 

Since when was Revocation tech death?

Zoldaten_ov_Zatan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 pm 

You needed more evidence than just the fact that it's one of the most talked about, most well known, and most profilific forms of death metal in existence?

DieAfvallig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm 

Lot of loaded and meaningless terms such as 'extreme' and 'mainstream' being bandied about here. Is there any evidence to suggest that tech death is more popular than other underground styles - such as album sales? Otherwise i cant see anything worthwhile coming out of this discussion.

Lamb Chop
Sheri's hand is cold as the grave!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm 

DieAfvallig wrote:
Lot of loaded and meaningless terms such as 'extreme' and 'mainstream' being bandied about here. Is there any evidence to suggest that tech death is more popular than other underground styles - such as album sales? Otherwise i cant see anything worthwhile coming out of this discussion.
I don't think any of these tech death bands have exceeded the sales figures of the big death metal bands of the 90's.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.