Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:55 pm 

I always thought they were ok but nothing great.

Nothing to memorable for me. I much prefer stuff like Adramelch, Funebre, Demigod, Dismember, Grave etc from around this time.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:00 pm 

Hmmm it's a little bit to boring for me. Not bad though!

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm 

I'll admit I'd never heard of this band, but it's good.

Anti_Human
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 pm 

This is good, but it's not much to me beyond that. Then again, I'm not much of a death metal type.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:28 pm 

It's a pretty solid album, but I don't know about it being a "forgotten classic" or anything. I always enjoy playing it quite a bit, yet once it's over it doesn't really stick with me.

I always thought Wombbath was a little more well known that your average obscure early '90s death metal band, though.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:59 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:
Dark_Mewtwo1 wrote:
I just picked up the vinyl reissue a few days ago. Should be here next week :D

It's killer.

Where can I get this? :o

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:25 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Heard this last year, was on a heavy binge on this album along with Accidental Suicide's Deceased for about a week. Sick stuff.

weird i had the same thing, along with a couple other albums

just went back to Accidental Suicide recently, it's been tearing my brain up. sick fucking album

Wombbath rules, thanks for reminding me, better than a lot of Swedish stuff that gets too much attention

oh and i always thought the album cover was supposed to be inside the brain, that thing supposed to be a synapse with it's 'Internal Caustic Torments' yaknow, weird crazy thoughts in your head. just my take.

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:23 pm 

MortalScum wrote:
Leader_OCola wrote:
Dark_Mewtwo1 wrote:
I just picked up the vinyl reissue a few days ago. Should be here next week :D

It's killer.

Where can I get this? :o

I got it from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOMBBATH-INTERNAL-C ... 3356bc4a29

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:09 pm 

Well since I haven't listened to this but I love every other album you mentioned, it's gonna make the top of my list.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm 

OP, thanx for pointing this band out. Really really good old school death metal.

Mishalra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 pm 

I remember this band being mentioned a lot on here, and various other forums and websites, a fair bit 4 or 5 years ago.

Whilst this is a solid album, it's no better than second or third tier Death Metal in my eyes. I would definitely not put it on a best of genre list, they seem to be a band who took what others had done before them and played within these styles - and not noticably better than anyone else, mind you.

I think there is a disturbing tendency in recent years, more so in Swedish Death Metal than any other genre, to name drop bands (Nirvana 2002, Utumno, Excruciate or your other favourite demo band) and try to make out that they are better than the established canon (Dismember, Unleashed, Carnage etc). Generally this is far from accurate.

I think the main thing is not to be confused with hype like "forgotten classic" - as really just because you've never heard it mentioned does not mean that it once wasn't tread over by many others as merely average and it was forgotten for that reason. Yes most metalheads may not have heard some of these releases, but in proportion to the amount of Swedish Death Metal enthusiasts, this is but back into perspective.

Mishalra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 pm 

Visionary wrote:
I always thought they were ok but nothing great.

Nothing to memorable for me. I much prefer stuff like Adramelch, Funebre, Demigod, Dismember, Grave etc from around this time.

They're an Italian Heavy Metal band from the 80s, who released an excellent album in 'Irae Melanox.'

Did you mean Adramelech? Confuses me too!

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 am 

Mishalra wrote:
Whilst this is a solid album, it's no better than second or third tier Death Metal in my eyes. I would definitely not put it on a best of genre list, they seem to be a band who took what others had done before them and played within these styles - and not noticably better than anyone else, mind you.

I think there is a disturbing tendency in recent years, more so in Swedish Death Metal than any other genre, to name drop bands (Nirvana 2002, Utumno, Excruciate or your other favourite demo band) and try to make out that they are better than the established canon (Dismember, Unleashed, Carnage etc). Generally this is far from accurate.

I think the main thing is not to be confused with hype like "forgotten classic" - as really just because you've never heard it mentioned does not mean that it once wasn't tread over by many others as merely average and it was forgotten for that reason. Yes most metalheads may not have heard some of these releases, but in proportion to the amount of Swedish Death Metal enthusiasts, this is but back into perspective.

Well I don't know about this album being merely average... it's received a generally positive response in this thread. Actually some very convincing responses if you ask me. Does the fact that this album is unknown compared to the bigger names in death metal make Wombbath average? I would hope not, or else the whole underground scene is screwed, and I might as well just listen to the big name bands and quit searching for jems like Internal Caustic Torments. There's got to be a reason for the sudden surge of obscure death metal reissues. I think people are realizing that these albums are jems of early Death Metal, and a poor distribution the first time around shouldn't be how we grade their music. In other words, their popularity is meaningless. I don't care what the general consensus on this album is. It kicks ass, and as a death metal fan, I guess all I can say is that I'm sorry for you if you can't see that. :P

Mishalra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:40 am 

I'm not convinced that most of these people will care much for this album in six months time, the majority will most likely move onto another 'forgotten classic.'

I never said it was a bad album, nor that it wasn't worthwhile for some listening every now and then. Just that it doesn't deserve the 'classic' tag. A lot of these albums started getting more and more attention when word spread about them on the internet, everyone wanted a copy, and Ebay prices went up and up over night.

Four or five years ago this album went for $10, I've seen it hit triple figures several times this last year alone.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 am 

I see your point, a lot of 1980s bands (usually nwobhm and "traditional" heavy metal from different countries) are having albums worth a lot, although maybe only half of them or so are really good. There are a lot of "gems" too.

I would say this one is very good, excellent drumming and guitar, I like the vocals too (which is one problem I have with a lot of death metal).

I'm not saying I would buy albums at $35 or more, the reissue might be worth getting at a normal price for the music. I've seen prices go up recently for certain albums that I almost want to quit posting about bands I like on forums.

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 pm 

It's a good, solid death metal album. Glad you brought it to my attention. It is, however, a BIT generic (as a lot of DM tends to be) and reminds me a lot of Vomitory and Blood Red Throne (I love both, but you can't deny that they're generic. Death metal done well, but without a ton of originality.)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2