Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:
I can't imagine anyone else singing 'Black Sabbath' other than Ozzy. It just HAS to be him. Otherwise, the song wouldn't be called 'Black Sabbath', wouldn't it? ;)

I found a version of Ian Gillan singing that song and the end result makes Ozzy sound like a little pussy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaJWYV_wXQ

I still prefer the original, but you'e gotta love the power and wickedness behind Gillan's performance.

This may have been the best non-original version of "Black Sabbath" I have ever heard, up there with Type O Negative's cover.. But Jesus, I wouldn't be surprised that, sometime in the future, I preferred that live version with Gillan over the original with Ozzy! That quite literally blew my mind and made my day. :) Now I need to somehow get this live bootleg.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:46 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Zdan wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
Zdan wrote:
I kind of wonder why Heaven And Hell (aka DioSabbath) are not doing any Martin songs. Dio's voice would not be half bad for those and those are legitimate and great heavy metal tunes.

They aren't doing any Martin songs because:

A) They are focusing on the Dio-era
B) Dio refuses to sing Martin-era songs.

Shame really. I think Dio could do amazingly on some of those tunes. Imagine him doing "Tyr" or "Headless Cross" songs. I wonder if Iommi is ever going to reconcile with Martin enough to do a tour/record an album with him. Or at LEAST do some re-issues/remasters of Martin-era material. There are some amazing songs there.

You know, I'd really like to hear DIo singing a song like "headless Cross". The songs wouldn't really seem to fit his style so poorly, either. It's a shame that most of the Sabbath frontmen seem so...exclusive. :Lol:

Anyway, just giving another hail to Ray Gillan...I think he's the only Sabbath singer aside from Ozzy himself who could make their eponymous song sound spine-chillingly dark and portentous. Hell, sometimes I think he even outdoes Ozzy's performance on that track.

That is what I like about Martin. When he was in Sabbath he sang stuff from ALL eras tackling all sorts of songs - from Neon Knights to say War Pigs.

Well...he had to. Who was Tony Martin to join Black Sabbath and then refuse to sing the back catalog? Good for him, though, because then the fans could get a bigger spectrum of Sabbath songs at the concerts (in contrast to Ozzy, who doesn't even sing anything past Vol. 4 anymore).

Dio probably would have been able to pull off a lot of the Martin stuff, although, as I understand it, Martin has an even greater range than Dio. But there is no way Ronnie would ever do it. He considers Martin to be something of a Dio imitator. It's pretty rare for a singer to leave a band, then rejoin later and sing his replacements songs (Bruce Dickinson is the only guy, and the most notable singer, I can think of that did that, although there are probably some others).

In regards to your earlier post, I'd like to see the Martin albums remastered/reissued, too. I don't think the demand is great enough, though, for a record company to invest in the project. Since the albums are out of print, it would be nice if they at least got on iTunes.

Am I the only person who never quite heard the similarity between Dio and Martin? Okay, the style and range is a LITTLE similar but Martin has more of a husky voice(for lack of a better word) and Dio has more of a growl type of voice(again for lack of a better word).

It's terrible he thinks Martin is an imitator, if anything he sounds more like Mike Vescera than Dio. And besides, does Dio even realize how good some of that material is? My guess is he hasn't really heard much of it, and the little bit he has heard he immediately deems a rip off of himself. A little egotistical ey?

I know it's terrible to talk badly about Dio especially at this point in time and since I am such a huge Dio fan, but it's just a though.

MetalRulesTheNight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:23 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:
I can't imagine anyone else singing 'Black Sabbath' other than Ozzy. It just HAS to be him. Otherwise, the song wouldn't be called 'Black Sabbath', wouldn't it? ;)

I found a version of Ian Gillan singing that song and the end result makes Ozzy sound like a little pussy...

I still prefer the original, but you'e gotta love the power and wickedness behind Gillan's performance.

This may have been the best non-original version of "Black Sabbath" I have ever heard, up there with Type O Negative's cover.. But Jesus, I wouldn't be surprised that, sometime in the future, I preferred that live version with Gillan over the original with Ozzy! That quite literally blew my mind and made my day. :) Now I need to somehow get this live bootleg.

This is truly a brilliant version! I am after this bootleg too as F@#*!!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:50 pm 

it has to be Dio for me. saw H&H live too, and they killed!

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm 

MetalRulesTheNight wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:

Holy shit that gave me chills up my spine. What a breathtaking performance.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 pm 

in_human_form wrote:
MetalRulesTheNight wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:

Holy shit that gave me chills up my spine. What a breathtaking performance.

Wow, that Gillan version was superb, mostly on a vocal level.

Overall, this is the best version of the song I've heard. It has the third verse, which is the best part of the song, that they mysteriously cut off the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3YaWbB13-o

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 pm 

Based on talent: Gillan > Ozzy > Dio > Hughes > everyone else.
Based on best fitting for Black Sabbath's musical and lyrical concepts: Ozzy > Gillan > everyone else.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 am 

I like Black Sabbath and I like their material when Ozzy is the vocalist. Ozzy just can't sing. No matter how much he wants it he really can't. NOTE: He is AWESOME AS FUCK with Black Sabbath, and I like it, but he just can't sing. Dio, that man CAN sing, and he can sing pretty damn good! However, I haven't decided yet which Sabbath I prefere.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 am 

Aoc wrote:

Please don't make me laugh :D

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Aoc wrote:

Please don't make me laugh :D

Ya. Funny stuff. Ozzy being second in talent among the Sabbath vocalists - guys like Dio, Gillen, Martin...funny.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3