Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:46 am 

It still surprises me that Slayer has only released two live albums throughout their long career. Same with Cannibal Corpse who have a grand total of 1 official live release. And Metallica has none from the time when they were a thrash band. Since those three bands have always toured prolifically, that comes off as surprising and maybe to some disappointing. Producing a live album is something of an art but it might also be that it is something that also takes alot of time and can be a logistical nightmare even when it means getting an engineer to doctor a concert record for a certain show to sound good i.e. Made in Japan(succesful), Unleashed in the East(unsuccessful).

Or do you really prefer live bootlegs? Talk about which classic bands you demand another live album from. And if you don't care too much for live records talk about why.

Bonus question:
What metal bands would you/have you seen live that were actually entertaining in that setting but otherwise not an artist that you would buy a studio album from. Or maybe one that convinced you to after all.

BrokenBrain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 am 

Metallica, a live album from and justice or master of puppets era, but is too late, or maybe they can do like sepultura with their last live album, but that was a bussiness from the label.
Crowbar needs a live album.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:13 am 

I love that Live After Death is such a recognizable and good concert album that its cover is almost as recognizable as the main studio album covers.

I want one more Behemoth live release pretty soon.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 am 

Destroyer 666 would be nice. They seem to be a really consistent live band. A dvd would be even better.

teruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 am 

Sabbat (japan)

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 am 

I'd like Suidakra to get a live album. The Wacken DVD and Complilataion package is good, but it would be awesome to have them on a large set list live Cd

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 am 

suidakra is a fun studio band but unfortunately they're very sloppy and uninteresting live

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:05 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

Or do you really prefer live bootlegs? Talk about which classic bands you demand another live album from. And if you don't care too much for live records talk about why.

Bonus question:
What metal bands would you/have you seen live that were actually entertaining in that setting but otherwise not an artist that you would buy a studio album from. Or maybe one that convinced you to after all.

Well...bootlegs CAN be cool for someone like me who lives in the States and can't see many bands that I like throughout the rest of the world. Plus...some bootlegs replace that glossed over sound that an "official" live album can often offer...very synthetic, which to me isn't a concert experience. Finding a rare bootleg (e.g. Emperor's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream') is also really exciting as it can bridge me to the past, as well as reaching a deeper sense of....intimacy?....with the bands I really like.

To answer your second question...Urfaust!!! I can not WAIT for them to release a live album. I wish I could figure out a way to burn their Youtube videos to my Ipod...that would be freakin' sweet!!!

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 am 

Bal-Sagoth! Amazing stage presence... They're back on tour soon, perhaps the idea can be tossed around.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 am 

teruist wrote:
Sabbat (japan)

They have lots of live stuff on 7s and whatnot don't they? There's also the one live album from 94 or so..can't recall its name now. But yes, it'd be cool for them to do more..they have so much material, after all...

I think manilla Road really really needs one. "Roadkill" is a little problematic for me because of the crowd noise dubbed in and because of the fact that it's really just an EP with some songs from 'The Deluge" tacked on to the end for no good reason. Besides, their new lineup is great and from what I hear they often play sets of over two hours with songs from the vast majority of their releases...it would be amazing if they were able to record a double album spanning their entire catalogue, with Corey on drums in particular.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am 

Now that Bolt Thrower isn't doing anymore studio albums, I think a live album is in order. As bonus tracks, or as a second disc, they should also re-release the Peel Sessions.

Carcass was great live, and I hope they recored some material from the reunion tour.

Amorphis needs to do a live album, especially now that they have Tomi Joutsen on vocals, and they have been doing songs all the way back to their first one.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:35 am 

I'd love to see something from Napalm Death, maybe a double live album of material with Dorrian-era and Greenway-era shows.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 pm 

I rarely like live albums when it comes to metal. Got some good Marduk and Mayhem live albums and that's it so far... Alot of awesome Hardcore live records though :D

I'd like an Immortal live album most of all but they should have already done that years ago. 1 song from their new album and I won't be able to find a building high enough to toss down the cd.

verdunkelt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm 

HaydenMaddox wrote:
To answer your second question...Urfaust!!! I can not WAIT for them to release a live album. I wish I could figure out a way to burn their Youtube videos to my Ipod...that would be freakin' sweet!!!

Yes! Never seen them live, but everyone who have say that they are great.

kampfplatz666
Sturmbannführer Borat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm 

Celtic Frost post-Monotheist!!!

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 pm 

Bolt Thrower REALLY needs one and this is the perfect time as someone else stated

Wouldnt mind seeing a Sabbat(uk) one either seeing as they're touring and not recording

Anaal Nathrakh....nuff said

few more id like to hear...Nile, Theatre of Tragedy, Soilwork pre NBC, Obituary(just brought out a live dvd so guess that works), Fear Factory, Behemoth and Hypocrisy

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm 

Metal live albums have never appealed to me, but I'd like another Opeth one, just because Michael is a really good entertainer. I like a lot of his banter.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 pm 

A lot of people I know think live albums suck, but to me for the most part if you are a good group and play your instruments well, you should sound just as good if not better live*

That said, most of the metal I listen to is older stuff, and when older acts try to make new material it almost always ends up being crummy. This goes especially for live albums (seriously, Judas Priest needs to stop). It is unfortunate though, that some groups did not release live albums in their prime.

To answer the bonus, Children of Bodom is actually quite entertaining live. I'd rather saw my foot off than listen to most of their music, but they certainly are lively and energetic. Or maybe they were when compared to Megadeth, for whom they were opening. Who knows?

*this of course precludes one-person bands, electronica, and acts that use a lot of digital effects or orchestras.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 pm 

I want a Dark Fortress one, but they aren't that well known so I don't think it will happen.

I hate the age of nero by Satyricon, but when I saw them live they were fucking excellent, even though the majority of the set was from that, and the songs were performed excellently. It still hasnt convinced me to hear it again though

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:14 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
teruist wrote:
Sabbat (japan)

They have lots of live stuff on 7s and whatnot don't they? There's also the one live album from 94 or so..can't recall its name now. But yes, it'd be cool for them to do more..they have so much material, after all...

Yes ! A 45th live full-length album is really missing in their discography.

Thirding Bolt Thrower. And I wouldn't mind if they record their May, 8th show...

I wouldn't mind also a real (plugged) Orphaned Land live.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

CaptainHook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 pm 

I find most live releases pointless. They served a purpose in the 70s when production hampered the heaviness of some acts, but besides some famous ones like Priest in the East and Live & Dangerous, I've never bothered with live albums much.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm 

Immortal really does need to put out a live album. They're long over due.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 pm 

Virgin Steele, King Diamond, Immortal, Crimson Glory, Mercyful Fate, Fates Warning, and Jag Panzer. To name a few. I really want to see those guys, but they don't seem to come around Spokane frequently. Plus, they don't even have any good quality live videos of any kind.

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:28 pm 

I was going to say Meshuggah, but they're coming out with one :O
Scar Symmetry would be good.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:28 pm 

Like the person above me mentioned, Virgin Steele and Mercyful Fate need a live album. King Diamond only has one but I would love to hear more.
Lacuna Coil, great live act needs a live album. No, they need a Live Album AND an Acoustic album.

Juno_A
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 pm 

HaydenMaddox wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Bonus question:

Well...bootlegs CAN be cool for someone like me who lives in the States and can't see many bands that I like throughout the rest of the world. Plus...some bootlegs replace that glossed over sound that an "official" live album can often offer...very synthetic, which to me isn't a concert experience. Finding a rare bootleg (e.g. Emperor's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream') is also really exciting as it can bridge me to the past, as well as reaching a deeper sense of....intimacy?....with the bands I really like.

http://youtubeloader.com << Choose the MP4 option.

Don't remember how I found this site, but I'm glad I did. Have been able to watch videos and grab audio from concert footage otherwise impossible. The site claims it's not affiliated with YouTube, so I don't know if this option is legally sanctioned... If not, please remove this post. Thank you.

To remain on topic, I find most live recordings are not worth my money. Really, a vast majority of the live albums I've heard could be enjoyed with the same amount of degree if one had taken the studio albums and dubbed them over with crowd roaring. I will admit, though, that when the live recording is significantly different from the studio products without messing up the songs entirely, there is much enjoyment to be had. So yeah, would like live albums to stand alone, and in a good way.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Soilwork pre NBC

NBC was awesome. How about Soilwork pre-FnF. Soilwork pre-Sworn To A Great Divide.

Fuck, they have an unbalanced discography.

fenrisvarg2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 am 

Amorphis!!

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:18 am 

Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, and Anvil

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:02 am 

Ok, someone name a band that you think needs to put out a new live album BUT list what songs you think should be on it and the order. How would you do you think it should be edited/produced? Like crowd sound for instance.

teruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:36 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
suidakra is a fun studio band but unfortunately they're very sloppy and uninteresting live

recently, yes. (oh god that Wacken performance)
but ive heard some live recordings from 1999 to 2003 and its dead on and exciting. live performances started to slip around 2005ish.

WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am 

I really don't see the point in Live Albums.
Live DVD's, sure, but albums?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm 

Darkest Hour should put out a live DVD - they put on a great live show, especially Mike Schleibaum, who really knows how to put on a show while playing flawlessly.
It would be great to hear some of the songs from 'Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation' without the awful Swedish production, as well as songs from 'Undoing Ruin' and 'Deliver Us' with a more stripped-down sound, only two guitars and not incredibly polished as Devin Townsend brought them out - this would be great to hear because while Undoing Ruin is a nearly flawless album, the songs come across with a different style when performed live due to the lack of guitar layering and ethereal production, and this fits better with what the band did early on and is doing now.
The contrast of the band's studio sound to their live sound makes this something worth doing - their live performances are precise and solid, but there is a different sound to five guys plugging in and rocking out that sounds great, but has a different feel and sound than a polished studio album.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 pm 

WolfieboyMachi wrote:
I really don't see the point in Live Albums.
Live DVD's, sure, but albums?

The guy above me basically nailed why Live Albums are enjoyable. If you can hear a band enjoying what they do and putting a ton of feeling into material live, why not record it? Theres a certain atmosphere that even studio material can't capture.
Hehe, foreskins.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Bal-Sagoth! Amazing stage presence... They're back on tour soon, perhaps the idea can be tossed around.

I really doubt a live CD by Bal-Sagoth could reach the dark and mysterious atmosphere of the studio albums. It would reduce Bal-Sagoth's awesome to hear them on a live album, even though I really want to see them live.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm 

wouldve been awesome if slayer released the whole live show from the raining blood/black magic video.

snooloui
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:37 pm 

Scorpions. Would be really great if they could release some of their newer material live on CD. They seem to release live DVDs all the time but no CDs.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:49 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
teruist wrote:
Sabbat (japan)

Man, you're just killing me. The guy was clearly sarcastic. Unless you're being sarcastic too.

Bolt Thrower and Manilla Road definitely need to release some.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.