Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
brightfield wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

Take Burzum for example, does it sound good?
Fuck no, it's repetetive, the guitars sound like one those plastic toy guitars in a tumbledryer, the vocals sound like someone on the phone is choking on a wet cloth, And just in general sounds like it was recorded in a closet with a casette recorder left outside the door, but thats not the reason people listen to it (or so I assume, i'm not actually a fan) they listen to it for it's bleak atmosphere and hypnotic effect.

Well, then. Maybe it would come as a surprise to you to learn that I don't consider Burzum challenging. In fact, I loved Burzum the first time I heard it. Loved it. Instantly. In fact, that was the sound that got me hooked on black metal. Challenging? Hardly.

I never called them challenging

Oh, you mean I accused you of saying something you didn't actually say? Imagine that.

Yes it is the real Goat.

MichaelSmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

haha a heated debate over this.

y'all need to stop listening to metal, it's making you guys rowdy.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

brightfield wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:
brightfield wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

Fuck no, it's repetetive, the guitars sound like one those plastic toy guitars in a tumbledryer, the vocals sound like someone on the phone is choking on a wet cloth, And just in general sounds like it was recorded in a closet with a casette recorder left outside the door, but thats not the reason people listen to it (or so I assume, i'm not actually a fan) they listen to it for it's bleak atmosphere and hypnotic effect.

Well, then. Maybe it would come as a surprise to you to learn that I don't consider Burzum challenging. In fact, I loved Burzum the first time I heard it. Loved it. Instantly. In fact, that was the sound that got me hooked on black metal. Challenging? Hardly.

Oh, you mean I accused you of saying something you didn't actually say? Imagine that.

What are you trying to say? That I do the same?

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
brightfield wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:
brightfield wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

What are you trying to say? That I do the same?

You did exactly the same. Go back and look at your response to my first post.

Yes it is the real Goat.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 pm 

You said

brightfield wrote:
"Challenging" is a euphemism for "shitty".

I said

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Any music not immediatly accessible is shitty?

Which seems like a logical rephrasing to me, since "not accessible" and "challenging" are the same thing.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
You said

brightfield wrote:
"Challenging" is a euphemism for "shitty".

I said

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Any music not immediatly accessible is shitty?

Which seems like a logical rephrasing to me, since "not accessible" and "challenging" are the same thing.

Fail.

Here's a very straightforward answer. I put "challenging" in quotes, because it has different meaning to different people. When I hear people use the word "challenging", I usually take it to mean that they find the music hard to listen to...not just "immediately", but at all times. That, sir, is what I meant by the words I chose. I'm glad god has granted you the sole right to change people's words for them.

Gee, I didn't even have to call you retarded, since you changed your own words from "not immediately accessible" to "not accessible". Do I need to explain the word "immediately" to you?

Yes it is the real Goat.

krampus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm 

brightfield wrote:

Speaking for myself, I had know idea what Burzum or really what black metal was the first time I heard it. I only know that I had been listening to Cradle of Filth at the time...well...Burzum put an end to that immediately. I was like, shit, gimme more o' that.

Cradle of Filth and Burzum are apples and oranges. I was terrified the first time I heard Burzum because it was so bleak. I still can't listen to "Filosofem" and feel at ease while doing so.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 pm 

I didn't change any words, what you meant specifically and what you said are two different things.

You should have said this in the first place, it has more of a point, still, I rarely hear people use challenging as in meaning hard to listen to at all times. People are usually talking about how a band finally "clicked" after x number of listens.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:49 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
I didn't change any words, what you meant specifically and what you said are two different things.

You assigned meaning that was not there, and more than that, instead of politely asking for me to clarify, you said I was retarded. No apologies for that, eh? And here I thought the Dutch were always so diplomatic.

Yes it is the real Goat.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 pm 

It conveyed the wrong message regardless the meaning you intended, otherwise I wouldn't have called you retarded, but this is getting pointless so im signing off.
I thought we were only know for pot and hookers BTW.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
I thought we were only know for pot and hookers BTW.

And controversial cartoons...but who's counting?

(speaking of wrong messages)

Yes it is the real Goat.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:50 am 

I don't really believe in it, to be truthful. If I want some 'easy listening', I'll listen to a metal band I used to listen to when I was a kid, since I'm really familiar with it. I've listened to bands like Kalmah and Cathedral so much that I know what's going to happen in all of their songs. However, I do find myself listening to a lot of minimalist drone (early Earth) or suicidal black metal, like Leviathan and Xasthur.

If I want 'involved' listening, I'll listen to some really emotional music, like Khanate or Pig Destroyer. The latter's "Phantom Limb" album even more-so, because, to this day, I still have no idea how they could make an album that heavy without it getting into "wall of noise" territory.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:59 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Those, hard? Medium at best. Hard would be like...

HARD: Portal, Gorguts (Obscura), maybe Paysage D'Hiver and Darkspace
Those hard? I listen to Darkspace and Paysage D'Hiver when I need something ambient.

And yeah, Wolves In The Throne Room actually requires attention. Otherwise you'll just miss everything and won't remember a thing. What sucks about the music is the fact that the music mostly isn't intensive or diverse enough to keep your attention.

When I can't decide between hard and easy, I listen to Mogwai. It can be both.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am 

Immolation for sure is a band I really can't just have going on the background. Gorguts and Pavor would be two others which really require a focussed ear. Generally just percussive death metal with ugly rhythms. That shit sounds fucking terrible when you're not focussing on it.

As for what I go for when I want something easy, I tend to go for either of Blut Aus Nords Memoria Vetusa (whatever they are) albums, Forgotten Tomb, Isvind, or Anaal Nathrakh. Basically anything that burns along with enough energy to be fun, and then explodes into really catchy melodies. As I tune in and out with these bands I always find myself finding something different and enjoyable.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:54 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:
Those, hard? Medium at best. Hard would be like...

HARD: Portal, Gorguts (Obscura), maybe Paysage D'Hiver and Darkspace
Those hard? I listen to Darkspace and Paysage D'Hiver when I need something ambient.

And yeah, Wolves In The Throne Room actually requires attention. Otherwise you'll just miss everything and won't remember a thing. What sucks about the music is the fact that the music mostly isn't intensive or diverse enough to keep your attention.

When I can't decide between hard and easy, I listen to Mogwai. It can be both.

Yea, that's why I had to say "maybe", because I know more than a fair share of people who won't listen to Paysage nor Darkspace due to their production. Myself? It's my absolutely favorite music to listen to when falling asleep.

PedrinhoM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:49 pm 

Oh yeah I know what you mean. When I'm just sitting back with a bowl of weedo's and trying not to think too hard, I throw on some easy listening Grief or Khanate or something catchy like Ministry.

Weedo's you mean cannabis?

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm 

asfasdf what an argument.

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:33 pm 

brightfield wrote:
Wow. I must have hit a nerve with you, buddy. But, yeah, pretty much anything that doesn't sound good right away is not worth my time. See, that's the part about not wanting to "challenge" myself with shitty music.

Metal is probably the most visceral form of music. It can be melodic. It can be beautiful. It can be abrasive. It can be shrill. It can be many things. But "challenging" is not really an adjective that describes music. It describes the listener's feeling about the music. The bands I like are not at all "challenging", because it's easy for me to like them. This doesn't mean they aren't abrasive or loud or sick. They all sound good to me. Why should I listen to something that I don't think sounds good? Why would I do that to myself? I don't have time like that to waste. You know, us down syndrome folks have more important things to deal with.

I'm with you there, I absorb music pretty quickly to be honest and can tell almost immediately if I like the band or will like them eventually, although most of the time the bands that I don't like at first, then get into, I get bored of them very quickly afterwards. I wouldn't say it's a particularly rewarding experience either. I remember the first time I listened to Darkspace, I was bored outta my mind listening to it and sold it almost immediately, I wouldn't want to waste time getting into that band.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:43 pm 

Mostly all metal is pretty challenging to me.

I can't read a book while I have my music on, it's just too much for my brain to handle at once.

MichaelSmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm 

PedrinhoM wrote:
Oh yeah I know what you mean. When I'm just sitting back with a bowl of weedo's and trying not to think too hard, I throw on some easy listening Grief or Khanate or something catchy like Ministry.

Weedo's you mean cannabis?

Haha possibly. Drugs ain't so acceptable, so I'll stick with weedo's ;)

PedrinhoM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:46 pm 

When I do weedo's, I tend to be more open minded for complex music than normal

MichaelSmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:51 pm 

haha when I'm in that state, complex music confusese me haha and it's the only time I can REALLY get into drone or realll slow metal.

PedrinhoM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:58 pm 

Me too, but it's also the only time I graps more complex, mind demanding metal.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:04 am 

Song to think hard? Well, songs of Burzum, Immortal, Death, maybe some Gothic Metal.
And for the easy ones, Rock & Roll and Glam Rock songs. Easy and catchy lyrics

PrinceofEmptiness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:14 am 

I enjoy a mix of both easy listening and hard listening, but I'm of the opinion that a band can never be too easy to listen to, while a band can definitely be too hard to listen to. Slam death metal, for example, is a guilty pleasure of mine, because it is music completely stripped of any technicality and probably any meaning. You could probably even call it stupid. The genre is perfect for listening to when you are driving or doing something else, because you don't have to pay full attention to it. Bands can definitely be too hard to listen to, which in my opinion would be overly technical or experimental bands like Dillinger Escape Plan or iwrestledabearonce. Listening to these bands is like listening to 5 other bands taken apart and thrown together on one album, terrible.

Anyways, now for a list, to whoever got bored or lost while reading my extremely disjointed rant.

Easy-listening: Slam death, sludge, grindcore, etc.
Medium-listening: Death, black, doom, thrash, etc.
Hard-listening: Funeral doom, technical death, drone, post-metal, etc.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:01 am 

Though I haven't listened to them in quite a while, I find Burzum to be easy-listening. The repetitive and atmospheric nature of the music invites me to relax and soak the music in rather than pay close attention to whatever nuances it might have and whatnot.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:10 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I would also not say Origin is "hard listening." They're just a huge fest of speed and riffs.

I see what you mean, but I don't necessarily agree; not that you're wrong, either. It really just depends on what you consider a challenging listen. On one hand, you can say it's something that's fairly complex with many nuances which requires either undivided attention, multiple listening sessions, or both, to pick up on all the subtleties present. However, it can also be something that is challenging to listen to, regardless of complexity or one's opinion of the of the quality of the music.

In that regard, I'd agree that Origin is hard listening. Yes, it's "just" brutal, relentless, technical death metal played at an absurd speed (all qualities of their music that I enjoy). No, there isn't really anything subtle about their music; it's all right there in front of you, beating you senseless into the ground. But while nearly every second of their music leaves me stunned by how utterly awesome it is, sitting through a whole Origin album is pretty challenging, and technical death is one of my favorite genres. At a slower speed, it might not be so, but then it wouldn't quite be the same.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2