Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:38 pm 

It was announced today that Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown are planning to tour as Pantera next year.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/pantera-r ... tour-2023/

Quote:
Nearly 20 years after breaking up, Pantera‘s surviving members are hitting the road for a long-hyped reunion tour in 2023 and have signed with Artist Group International to book their North American dates. Dennis Arfa and Peter Pappalardo will be the responsible agents.

“We are thrilled to be working with such an iconic band and bringing their music back to the fans,” said Pappalardo.

Update: Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante are confirmed to join the touring lineup.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/pantera-r ... e-benante/

Last edited by King_of_Arnor on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:50 pm 

Hmm. I would have guessed at this point a Pantera reunion was about as likely as a Nevermore reunion.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:05 pm 

Life is strange and so is Phil Anselmo.
This is a terrible idea. They should both just make a new Down album. Where are the manbabies that wanna hear 5 Minutes Alone live again lol?

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:26 pm 

Spoiler: show

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:31 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Life is strange and so is Phil Anselmo.
This is a terrible idea. They should both just make a new Down album. Where are the manbabies that wanna hear 5 Minutes Alone live again lol?

They're probably the incest sons of the grandmanbabies who are seeing Motley Crue in stadiums that want to hear Shout At The Devil live again.

I like Pantera (and Motley Crue for that matter), but the fact that this only happens after the Abbot brothers are dead speaks volumes about Phil and Rex's character.

I was starting to like Phil too. :( Racist incidents withstanding.

Spiral Architect wrote:
Spoiler: show

The amount of teeth that guy has people should be laughing at him. Probably the amount of teeth a good 50% of Pantera's fans have

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:36 pm 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:48 pm 

Well this will be interesting. Probably won't include the band's best live performances, but at least there's a chance new fans of theirs can see them live for the first time.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:04 pm 

Pantera is not Pantera without Dimebag and Vinne. Also Phil Anselmo is even worst of a dick then he was 20 years ago. Terrible idea.

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:04 pm 

Zakk Wylde and ?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:41 pm 

That would be like Dave Grohl reforming Nirvana, or, Phil Campbell reforming Motorhead with, say, Steve DiGeorgio on bass and vocals (because that guy hasn't already been in enough bands.) Or fuck it, why not and Kam Lee reforming Death with...John Hand?

It...Just...Wont...Work.

Now to be fair, I was never the biggest Pantera fan, but even if I was; let's just say that I probably wouldn't be interested in a Campbell/DiGeorgio version of Motorhead either. I'd just as soon watch a local Motorhead (or in this case, Pantera) tribute band and pay less money.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:47 pm 

I think this was inevitable. Took a bit longer than I expected, but if Vinnie Paul was still alive, this would not happen. Well, a chance to grab some $$$$$... Shouldn't happen at all!

Zakk Wylde's lethargic squeals?!?! No thank you.

I mean, seeing Judas Priest live last month, it really didn't feel JP anymore. Sad but true.

I saw Pantera warming up Megadeth on their 'Countdown to Extinction' tour. Pantera played for about 45 minutes and they really did warm up the icehall ;)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:16 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
That would be like Dave Grohl reforming Nirvana, or, Phil Campbell reforming Motorhead with, say, Steve DiGeorgio on bass and vocals (because that guy hasn't already been in enough bands.) Or fuck it, why not and Kam Lee reforming Death with...John Hand?

It...Just...Wont...Work.

For Phil, who will profit from this and doesn't give a shit about how desperate and shitty this comes across, it will "work" just fine.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:22 am 

They should have done this a decade ago with Zakk Wylde. Interest in it right now has to be at an all-time low, and with no Abbott brothers at all....I'll pass.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:37 am 

Name a worse large-scale idea in metal in 2022, I dare you.

Crossover_Kid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:23 am 

Rumors are it'll be Charlie from anthrax on drums, which kind of makes sense since dimebag played on some anthrax songs.

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:42 am 

Ha-ha, only recently there was news like Phil got a new studio made for him, he tried to play some riffs there and he felt like they sucked big time.

Damn, I'm on the fence about it. I mean, I still blast Pantera at full volume, but it will feel wrong without the Abbott brothers. I know that Phil contributed some riffs, too, and Rex as well had some input, but still, everyone knows that this band was Dime and Vinnie's masterplan first and foremost.

Also, wasn't Vinnie like strongly against the reunion when he was alive?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:49 am 

No, no, no, no, no, fuck no. This has "cash grab" written all over it. I really don't like Pantera, but a reunion now is gonna be severely lacking in quality. I'd venture to say it would have sucked even if Vinnie Paul and/or Dimebag were still alive. Phil's way past his prime as a vocalist (was he ever in his prime?) and bass players are interchangeable in groove metal bands. What a hollow (no pun intended) imitation this is going to be. Pantera's hideous swaggering wannabe tough guy groove doesn't suck any less in 2022 than it did 30 years ago, and this is going to make it suck even more.

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:54 am 

Crossover_Kid wrote:
Rumors are it'll be Charlie from anthrax on drums, which kind of makes sense since dimebag played on some anthrax songs.

Hm, seems logical, Benante's style could really match Vinnie's. I wonder who might the guitarist be? Someone like Chris Broderick, perhaps?

Why doesn't Rex like the idea of inviting Zakk to the party, by the way? I don't recall any animosity between them

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 am 

Living_Ruins wrote:
Crossover_Kid wrote:

Hm, seems logical, Benante's style could really match Vinnie's. I wonder who might the guitarist be? Someone like Chris Broderick, perhaps?

Why doesn't Rex like the idea of inviting Zakk to the party, by the way? I don't recall any animosity between them

It'll be Scott Ian if it's Charlie Benante on drums. Scott gets on everything these days. Can someone explain to me why he's in Mr Bungle? They might do a two guitar line up, attempting to sell the concept with some lame bullshit like "DIME WAS SO GOOD THAT ONE GUITARIST CAN'T PLAY HIS PARTS ALONE!, just so Scott gets the gig.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:12 am 

This has got to be a late April fools prank. A really terrible one.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:20 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Living_Ruins wrote:
Crossover_Kid wrote:

It'll be Scott Ian if it's Charlie Benante on drums. Scott gets on everything these days. Can someone explain to me why he's in Mr Bungle? They might do a two guitar line up, attempting to sell the concept with some lame bullshit like "DIME WAS SO GOOD THAT ONE GUITARIST CAN'T PLAY HIS PARTS ALONE!, just so Scott gets the gig.

So... Panthrax?

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:11 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Living_Ruins wrote:
Crossover_Kid wrote:

Ha, well, I get your main point, but, talking about Dime's parts, about a couple of hours ago I watched Anselmo and The Illegals' 2019 playing of 'Walk' with two guitarists, and... Well, they played it their own way a little bit (solo mainly)
If anyone's interested:

Now thinking about Anthrax, maybe Benante himself could play the guitar? He's better at leads than Ian, in my opinion.
And actually, Anselmo himself could grab it on stage! Leads could be dubbed out of respect for Darrell! Rhythm playing Anselmo will handle just fine. Should be fun and could be justified

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:24 am 

very bad idea

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:16 am 

How can they have a ''Pantera reunion'' without Dimebag and Vinnie? Lol.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:32 am 

hahaha

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:27 am 

In_Zane wrote:

Well, they can't.

Calling that act "Pantera" is just poor, poor taste and it's not gonna do them any good at all.

This makes modern Priest and/or current Sepultura look like all original, intact line-ups.

Hell, this is A LOT worse than the Alice in Chains reunion.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:45 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

Well, they can't.

Calling that act "Pantera" is just poor, poor taste and it's not gonna do them any good at all.

This makes modern Priest and/or current Sepultura look like all original, intact line-ups.

And Anselmo is technically not an original member of Pantera.

Do they even own the rights to use the band name to begin with?

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:08 am 

Eventually, I think they will call it a Pantera tribute tour and will go as a tribute band. Everyone realizes that Dime and Vinnie were integral, Phil and Rex included. I guess it'll wind up as a tour to just hang out with Rex jamming the tunes from the good ol' days for the new fans, not bad at all that way. Rex and Phil's Pantera - RAP Pantera

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:29 am 

In_Zane wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

Well, they can't.

And Anselmo is technically not an original member of Pantera.

Do they even own the rights to use the band name to begin with?

That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't if Dimebag and Vinnie's widow can have a say about this. And this happens just when Down was back on touring and I was hopping for a (unlikely) new allbum.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:16 am 

I'm sure Anselmo has been dying for this money for years, but fuck him and this horrible idea.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:40 am 

HA!

When Vinnie was still alive, i would KIIIIIINDA thought it was neat for him to pay tribute to his brother by getting multiple guitarists to come out and play his parts. But without Dime and Vinnie, this is just disrespectful and BIG BAD.

I saw Pantera on their final tour - oddly enough, in Ohio (albeit Dayton, not Columbus) and they were really great that night. So many nostalgic Pantera songs for me, but even I couldn't be conned into attending this.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:05 am 

If they have Charlie on drums and maybe Kerry King on guitar and call themselves Cowboys From Hell or something, I'd be interested. I can't imagine Rita letting them tour as Pantera.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:31 am 

Living_Ruins wrote:
Eventually, I think they will call it a Pantera tribute tour and will go as a tribute band. Everyone realizes that Dime and Vinnie were integral, Phil and Rex included. I guess it'll wind up as a tour to just hang out with Rex jamming the tunes from the good ol' days for the new fans, not bad at all that way. Rex and Phil's Pantera - RAP Pantera

Yeah, I think what they call it will be key.

I'm not a huge Pantera fan, but when I'm in a kick someone in the face mood some of their stuff fits the bill. Would I go see this? Depends on price and what night of the week they are playing most likely.

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:00 am 

I guess the big questions other than who will play drums and guitar are, are the brothers families on board/involved in any of this, and how will it be marketed? Will it be Pantera or Rex and Phil perform as a tribute to the legacy of the highly influential Pantera.

Anyway it's presented, I'm not really interested, but hopefully they don't crap all over the brothers' legacy.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am 

billboy73 wrote:
I guess the big questions other than who will play drums and guitar are, are the brothers families on board/involved in any of this, and how will it be marketed? Will it be Pantera or Rex and Phil perform as a tribute to the legacy of the highly influential Pantera.

Anyway it's presented, I'm not really interested, but hopefully they don't crap all over the brothers' legacy.

Yeah if its pure drama and social media sniping that will make the whole thing a shitshow.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:13 am 

The language used in the article in the OP leads me to believe they are not calling themselves some kind of tribute act, it sounds like they are planning on calling themselves Pantera. I really hope Dime and Vinny's family puts a stop to this. Someone above hit the nail on the head when they said it would be like if Dave Grohl brought Nirvana back.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:16 am 

This is a pointless cash grab. But, if they have Kerry King, it will, at least, be entertaining. I want to hear some chromatic blues scale solos. I wouldn’t spend money on it, however.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:16 am 

Really balls-y to just straight up announce that they're calling themselves Pantera. Not Pantera A.D., not Pantera, Inc., not Pantera ov Fire

Like someone else said, who has the rights to the name? I can't imagine Phil or Rex have any stake in that. IIRC Dimebag's widow pretty much said fuck Phil for eternity after Dimebag passed.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:27 am 

I know people like to shit all over Pantera for their tough guy act and groove metal style, and to an extent I get it. I mean, if a band sounded like Pantera came out present day with those vocal themes, I'd probably not be into it. But at my age (42), they were such an important band and stepping stone to more extreme shit. It still blows my mind that "Far Beyond Drive" went to #1 on the Billboards...they were kings. Unfortunately being in Iowa, they only came through a couple of times and I wasn't able to make their shows. I'd go to this (with tempered expectations), though I really hope they call it something other than Pantera.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am 

I could see Charlie Benante being able to emulate Vinnie's drumming well, though this will live or die based on the guitarist. With all of the talk before about Kerry and Phil doing something together I could see Kerry as the guitarist, unless Phil picks someone from his solo band to do it. Who knows!

Even if this tour isn't the greatest musically, I still see it doing well for ticket sales due to less discerning metal heads as well as Pantera fans who just want to see the band in any incarnation.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next