Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metalistkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:40 pm 

My pick is Cracked Brain by Destruction. There was some apprehension about what Destruction would sound like without Schmier at the helm but André Grieder was a more than worthy replacement. It's too bad they didn't do anything else with him. Back to the album, they knocked it out of the park with this thrashterpiece. It's their best effort imo. And Mike Sifringer is without a doubt one of the most underrated guitarists ever. The guy is a riff monster!

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:53 pm 

Cracked Brain is my favorite Destruction album by a huuuge margin actually. I love that album, but I truly just don't care for the rest of Destruction's output. So many killer riffs, so many killer hooks, and I dig the vocals quite a bit.

I'll say Suicidal Tendencies' Lights... Camera... Revolution. It seems to be somewhat well-known, but it gets nowhere near the praise it deserves. It's an absolutely fantastic punkish thrash album with a bit of everything. There's speedy tracks, mid-paced ones (Go'n Breakdown rips), and everything in between, of course with the ST sense of humor. The riffs are top notch, the soloing is out of this world, and it's my favorite performance from Mike Muir. There's also a really well-done use of melodic lead sections. It was one of my gateways into metal as a genre and I still love it. Songs like "Get Whacked", "Give it Revolution", and "Go'n Breakdown" are complete classics in my book.

A motherfuckin' breakdown!!

Ain't that a BITCH

Latest bass covers: Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Primus - Power Mad

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm 

Scepter- I'm Going to Hell -- the most simple, catchy, memorable riffs probably of them all (while having a lot of profoundly evil messages)
Imperial- Aux crépuscules -- insanely fast and sometimes technical without sounding happy or pretentious
Gehennah- HardRocker -- when you put exodus and venom/bathory in a blender, how can it go wrong
Flames-Summon the Dead-- the first great thrash album from a band that started in speed metal
SlaughterLord- Thrash Til Death (not an album, technically) -- if this were released today with modern production it would be the best selling album of the year. \m/
Dekapitator- We Will Destroy, You will Obey-- sometimes stupid and over the top is good, and in this case, it's done better than anyone else had to date
Vulcano- Bloody Vengeance -- before there was South American metal, there was this . And then all hell broke loose
Sithlord- The Return to Godless Times -- modern (not retro) thrash done right @ the turn of the century
Bulldozer- The Day of Wrath -- probably the dirtiest sounding album of its time

all better than anything the "big 4" put out in their careers.

Last edited by SlevinKelevra on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Harambe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:41 pm 

I don't know if it's underrated so much as fairly obscure, but I have been enjoying the hell out of Aspid's Extravasation as of late.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:56 pm 

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Scepter- I'm Going to Hell
Imperial- Aux crépuscules
Gehennah- HardRocker
Flames-Summon the Dead
SlaughterLord- Thrash Til Death (not an album, technically)
Dekapitator- We Will Destroy, You will Obey
Vulcano- Bloody Vengeance
Sithlord- The Return to Godless Times
Bulldozer- The Day of Wrath

Mindless lists like this are a quick way to get a thread like this locked. Make sure you explain your choices.
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:58 pm 

It's great to see love for cracked brain. I couldn't agree more that it's their best album.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:30 pm 

Yeah it's got an average rating here of 84% and that's good, but I still feel like M-16 by Sodom is not regarded as the masterpiece I believe it is. I challenge anyone to name a better thrash album this century! Even more, I would put it up with Persecution Mania for best thrash of all time. I find most newer Sodom to focus more on short fast aggressive songs - which is fine - but M16 recaptures Sodom's heyday of balancing that with catchy songwriting.

metalistkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:43 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
It's great to see love for cracked brain. I couldn't agree more that it's their best album.

I love their 80's output but Cracked Brain is on another level. It's more technical and even progressive. The highlight for me is definitely the guitar. Goddamn the riffs are spectacular.. Mike and Harry killed that shit. It's sad what they did after CB. It's so bad they don't even acknowledge the three releases that followed it. :lol:

Another favorite of mine is A Vision of Misery by Sadus. I hardly ever hear it being talked about when it comes to them. It's always about the two albums that preceded it. Sure it's not as fast but it doesn't mean it's lacking in any way. Matter of fact, i think it's their best album. Technical thrash at its finest.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 pm 

Cracked Brain was my favorite Destruction album for a long time, and the album that got me into Destruction. These days I think I prefer Eternal Devastation (more tense songwriting even if the riffs are slightly simpler (and the drumming mediocre)), but I love everything they did up to Cracked Brain. It's just one of those albums that would be well-known and received if it had the original frontman.

I think Anacrusis' Reason is very underrated, and my favorite of their four. It pushed the kind of doomy/gothic hint of the first album much further, but without compromising the thrashiness (Screams & Whispers) or the rawness (Manic Impressions), very aggressive but also very passionate. It's a long album but most of the songs are fairly distinct (aside from a recycled chorus on Child Inside), and even the bonus tracks are excellent.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:58 pm 

The 2 Sabbat albums, maybe if they were American they'd be considered classics, but they're very unknown to the mainstream.

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
Scepter- I'm Going to Hell
Imperial- Aux crépuscules
Gehennah- HardRocker
Flames-Summon the Dead
SlaughterLord- Thrash Til Death (not an album, technically)
Dekapitator- We Will Destroy, You will Obey
Vulcano- Bloody Vengeance
Sithlord- The Return to Godless Times
Bulldozer- The Day of Wrath

Mindless lists like this are a quick way to get a thread like this locked. Make sure you explain your choices.

updated, my bad.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:58 am 

Slayer - Divine Intervention

I swear I'm the only one that actually thinks this album is great. I will get pentagram'd for this, but I genuinely think this is better than Hell Awaits. It's just so ridiculously dark and heavy and downright malignant, there are moments where this gets more intense than some songs on Reign In Blood. Just listen to "Dittohead". That song will blow your fucking head off.

Sodom - Code Red, Sodom, and In War And Pieces

The first one is easily a top 5 90's thrash metal album for me. It's absolutely brutal. The only album of theirs that I haven't heard is Til Death Do Us Unite, so I don't know what the difference in quality is between it and the next one. But, I'm telling ya, Bernemann has proven himself to be a vital member of Sodom with his riff-writing ability. The self-titled is not my favourite, but it's no exception to the "Sodom can never put out a bad album" rule. I mean, "Wanted Dead" is a bloody awesome throwback to their never ending 80's thrash assaults. The man knows how to make tasteful, yet thrashy as fuck riffs as heard in In War And Pieces. It's their most polished, melodic, and best-structured album from a songwriting perspective. It's such a smooth album. At first, I thought there's no way this was the same band because the huge emphasis on melody is not very Sodom-like, but they pulled it off so well. These guys can turn a stinking turd into a shiny gold brick just by being Sodom.

Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder

Mad riffs peppered from start to finish. It gets overlooked by Waking Into Nightmares, and rightfully so. However, it's not much different or worse than it. Ok, I lied, it is kind of different, but it's still a quality thrash album. A new school Slayer-styled band with blast beats? Yes please, I'll take that.

"It's not a lie if you believe it" - George Costanza

TheWaltzer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 am 

I second the Sadus - A Vision of Misery (technical, brutal record with some really catchy songwriting, too, although you could argue that it is borderline death metal) and the 2 Sabbat records (very intense riffage and a very eerie atmosphere, especially if you read the lyrics, too).

Here's a few more:

Holy Terror - Terror and Submission -> this one is just relentless, has some crazy vocals, yet I never hear their name in discussion about thrash.

Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune -> somewhat known, but should be known a whole lot more. Very crisp sound, extremely well-done riffs, songwriting craft and atmosphere. The build-up in the title track is one of the most headbang-inducing things I know.

Savage Messiah - Insurrection Rising -> one of the most talented traditional-metal bands of the young generation... I actually like Plague of Conscience more than this one, but this one is thrashier... they do incorporate a lot of melody and Megadeth-styled focus on guitar leads, but the thrash backbone is still there.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:48 am 

Evildead's Annihilation Of Civilization is such a crackin' album, really cut throat guitar work with powerful, in your face thrash vocals.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am 

Bulldozer is more first wave black metal IMO.

The first three Coroner albums are underrated.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 am 

Interesting I see this thread today, just this morning I randomly put on the Hellwitch debut based on a YouTube recommendation. Hadn't heard it in ages. It's not the easiest listen but it's a really neat wicked album.

We all secretly loved Wesley Crusher.

vulcan plutarchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:22 am 

Hatchet-Fear Beyond Lunacy.

One of my favorite recent thrash albums. These guys don't seem to get much love. Killer vocals, catchy as fuck.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:54 am 

I haven't heard Bulldozer's debut in a while so I can't remember its straight thrash to speed ratio, but by The Final Separation and further more on IX they were definitely playing thrash.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:58 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:

Holy Terror - Terror and Submission -> this one is just relentless, has some crazy vocals, yet I never hear their name in discussion about thrash.

The follow up, "Mind Wars", is leaps and bounds better IMHO and my #2 thrash album of all time. I recall bringing them up on here (in a thread about thrash) not too long ago and not a single person replied/acknowledged my post. It seems like people around here don't know them because they aren't trendy at the moment or whatever.

metalistkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:04 pm 

Another album that i feel like doesn't get enough respect is Atrophy's Socialized Hate. Man this album smokes! Well played razor sharp thrash. These guys were technical as fuck! Their follow up Violent By Nature is equally as awesome. They're a band that should have been bigger. I think they've recently reformed minus one of the guitarists. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 pm 

Deathwish - At The Edge Of Damnation.

Killer UK thrash from '87. Raw, catchy and melodic, with a dark, sombre and brooding atmosphere. Their 2nd album Demon Preacher is well worth searching out too.
Metal will rule in my masterscheme."

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm 

I'll go ahead and second Warbringer's Worlds Torn Asunder. It isn't a stone cold classic by any means but I think some of their best songs are on it.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:22 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
Another album that i feel like doesn't get enough respect is Atrophy's Socialized Hate. Man this album smokes! Well played razor sharp thrash. These guys were technical as fuck! Their follow up Violent By Nature is equally as awesome. They're a band that should have been bigger.

+1
I always thought they were one of the tightest of the early thrash bands. I prefer Violent By Nature a touch more.

People in the know probably don't think Realm's Endless War is underrated, but I'm not sure a lot of people know about them, and holy heck were they tight for their time. More technical in 1988 than every other band I can think of. Another of my underrated favorites is Vendetta's Brain Damage. A very tight album with really catchy riffs. Paradox's Heresy is another very good album. It's a mixture of thrash and power metal, but mostly thrash. More sophisticated than most thrash.

As far as modern thrash, to me one band stands head and shoulders above all others, but they are not well known, so I think that makes them underrated ... Warfect, who IMO are the new kings of "tight" while not being overly monotonous. Honorable mention for Sylosis' album Conclusion of an Age for it's virtuosity and innovative song structures.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:45 pm 

There are really WAY too many to list but here are some that really slipped through the cracks I think:

INTRUDER - Psycho Savant. I think people who like stuff like TOXIK and ANTHRAX would find a lot to like here. It was on Metal Blade but this band never made a dent .... maybe because they never made a music video? Great lead guitar and really good songs

HYPNOSIA - Extreme Hatred. Vicious riffy thrash a la SADUS or DARK ANGEL. Pretty catchy too. Super tight. I like every song on here. Unfortunately their drummer passed away and that was the end for the band.

VULTURE - Easier to Lie. Not a masterpiece, but really enjoyable especially if you're a fan of bands like FORBIDDEN.

TARGET - (Both albums) Cool riffy old school thrash reminding me a little of ARTILLERY on the first album and maybe a bit more like TOXIK on the second one. I think ANNIHILATOR fans would like this stuff too.

AshesInYourMind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:18 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

I swear I'm the only one that actually thinks this album is great. I will get pentagram'd for this, but I genuinely think this is better than Hell Awaits. It's just so ridiculously dark and heavy and downright malignant, there are moments where this gets more intense than some songs on Reign In Blood. Just listen to "Dittohead". That song will blow your fucking head off.
FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT
You're not the only one. Dittohead is fucking amazing and I love Mind Control too, some of my all time favorite Slayer songs.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:26 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
HYPNOSIA - Extreme Hatred. Vicious riffy thrash a la SADUS or DARK ANGEL. Pretty catchy too. Super tight. I like every song on here. Unfortunately their drummer passed away and that was the end for the band.

Oh yes, that album destroys all in its path. It reminds me of a really pissed off Pleasure to Kill, if PtK could get more pissed off. Really great stuff. I've wanted a copy of that for a long time.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:34 am 

Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbs_q7K0CI

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:47 am 

I agree with the Slayer - Divine Intervention sentiment. Cool album, very cool.

Also, one of my all time favourites and one of the least heralded ones is Sacrilege's (UK) Within the Prophecy. The clashing of the omnipresent and dark guitar vibe with the female singer's vocals is incredibly potent...

TheWaltzer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:53 am 

cvac wrote:
TheWaltzer wrote:

The follow up, "Mind Wars", is leaps and bounds better IMHO and my #2 thrash album of all time. I recall bringing them up on here (in a thread about thrash) not too long ago and not a single person replied/acknowledged my post. It seems like people around here don't know them because they aren't trendy at the moment or whatever.

I like both of them equally, I wouldn't say I have a favorite. Let's just say that they as a band are very underrated.

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:08 am 

ratrace wrote:
Also, one of my all time favourites and one of the least heralded ones is Sacrilege's (UK) Within the Prophecy. The clashing of the omnipresent and dark guitar vibe with the female singer's vocals is incredibly potent...

Hell yeah! Sacrilege is the best! But i like Behind the Realms of Madness LP much more. Their demos are also some of the best demos out there (all four of them). Raw crusty metal at it's finest and maybe the coolest female vocalist in metal.

Another underrated thrash album is Bezerkers 1989 album called Lost. Kinda reminds me of Artillery but more goofy.
Also Invocators Excursion Demise is very underrated. Fast technical death/thrash, and some crazy solos.

And of course the two Exumer albums, Possessed by Fire and Rising From the Sea. Killer german thrash.
Exumer was one of the first thrash bands i got into, thanks to my dad (who has a large collection of thrash metal, in fact his thrash collection makes mine look like... well shit) :lol:

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
There are really WAY too many to list but here are some that really slipped through the cracks I think:

INTRUDER - Psycho Savant. I think people who like stuff like TOXIK and ANTHRAX would find a lot to like here. It was on Metal Blade but this band never made a dent .... maybe because they never made a music video? Great lead guitar and really good songs

Agree with this one. In my eyes, it's better than anything Anthrax ever did, although I was never an Anthrax fan.

I'll throw in a mention of Witchtrap- Vengeance is my Name. Concise, neat and fierce Kreator worship.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

I don't know if it's really underrated. Most of the comments I've heard about this albums are praises, but it's true that, when discussing about Slayer's career, this album tends to be forgotten. I personally like it, it has some killer ultrafast songs, but I've listen to it way less than other Slayer albums due to circumstances. There was a time when I was obsessed with Slayer, I've borrowed most of Slayers albums from a friends and blasted them to death. DI just happened to be one of the few albums I didn't have.

Temple Of Blood wrote:

+1 to this. That album is a must for those looking for extremely fast and aggressive thrash in the vein of Pleasure to Kill. Also old school Sadus has some interesting material for the lovers of insane speed which is not mentioned as often as it should.

Morbid Saint's debut is another killer album which is usually forgotten.

I am also a big fan of Warbirnger-War Without End, which is usually dismissed as sloppy and worthless. It may lack technicality or originality in comparison with other Warbirnger albums but is raw and aggresive as fuck and that makes a very enjoyable album out of it.

Last edited by Dr_Prozac on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:02 am 

I also really enjoy that Warbringer album. It's a lot of fun and I still enjoy it, even though Waking Into Nightmares mops the floor with it. That album mops the floor with most if not all modern thrash anyway though, so ya.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 pm 

Lots of good picks in here. I will second Annihilation of Civilization, Psycho Savant, and Violent By Nature (some of my favourite records).

One of my picks would be Hallows Eve's first couple of records. Both are filled with catchy songwriting. The first is a weird amalgamation of tracks that are extremely diverse, while the second is much more consistent. They aren't a particularly unique thrash band, but I find tracks like "Plunging to Megadeath", "Hallows Eve", and "D.I.E." to be super memorable.

Torture's Storm Alert seems well-loved by those who know it, but even I neglect it too often. It's a wickedly brutal affair that plays with melody a lot too. Ignominious Slaughter is an untoppable track, but the album is filled with classics like "Slay Ride" and "Terror Kingdom".

There are so many other bands and albums I could list out here because thrash is filled with gems, but a modern band I'll throw in is Untimely Demise. Their newest record, Black Widow, is their best. They're a pretty technical thrash metal band (but not in the way Vektor is technical), with a vocalist who can do black/death/thrash voices well and uses all of them. They have a lot of influence from Death, and you can hear melodies that would not be out of place on Symbolic in their music. It also helps that they're super cool guys, so I recommend everyone check them out.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:26 am 

I absolutely LOVE the first two Sacrilege (UK) Albums. Great riffs, great songwriting, with a unique sound and excellent vocals. One of my favorate under-rated and lesser known thrash bands of that era. I really wish they would have stuck with it; the third album was okay but it was kinda boring. The Quebeckian Aggression album ("The Full Treatment") had some awesome ripping death/thrash stuff but you don't ever hear much about it.

I was a pretty huge fan of the New Jersey Hades and their "Resist Success" album. It was pretty versatile as far as songwriting, with some traditional power metal, some kick ass blistering thrash, some plagerized thin lizzy riffs (oops, I didn't say it was perfect) but overall, an excellent album.

The Hirax albums- great thrash stuff but a bit lacking in the drumming. That band could have been outstanding with a better drummer. I liked Holy Terror but they were never among my favorates. People mentioned the later Sadus albums; and yeah they were good technical thrash but I preferred the debut- the songs were simpler, but more effective, faster and rawer.

e_ddi_e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:51 am 

Num Skull - Ritually Abused

It's if not _the_ most, then surely among the most, brutal thrash albums you'll ever hear. When it came out in 88 I didn't listen to it that much, but nowadays I really appreciate this underrated thrash gem. It's fast and technical and I'll say way ahead of its time. check'em out!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
INTRUDER - Psycho Savant.

Love their debut.
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

MercyfulKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:57 am 

Id like to mention a few gems:

Powerlord's The Awakening - Power/Thrash from my state of OK. Invasion of the lords rips, Silent Terror is atmospheric and brooding, Merciless Titans is another great track. The production is raw, but it adds to feeling that the record gives to the listener. The only downside to this record is that it only has 6 tracks, clocking at only 30 minutes, they had other songs from the same time as this record, that unfortunately were not properly recorded.

Deathrow's Raging Steel - Teutonic Thrash supremacy. I always enjoy hearing this record, it's got that tinge of technicality that the later record would have, for most of the record, while still retaining that brutal german thrash element.

Manilla Road's Out of the Abyss - By this point, in the late eighties, unlike Mystification, which flirted with Thrash sensibilities, this record is mostly Thrash. Whitechapel is undoubtedly the best track, the title track is great, so is the atmospheric Return of the Old Ones, Black Cauldron, so on. Im surprised this record doesnt get the same recognition like its other predecessors.

TORMENTSTORM

VOLITION

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 pm 

Hell yes Manilla Road's thrashier albums rule. Of course Out of the Abyss was the pinnacle but Mystification was also a good one and IIRC didn't The Courts of Chaos still have some thrash lingering on in it before they went back to their usual thing?

If we're gonna bring up thrash albums recorded by bands that don't usually play thrash, I gotta recommend Requiem by Bathory. The bass on this album is so thick you just wanna cut through it with only the finest steak knife. Unfortunately Octagon wasn't able to continue the magic even just once more.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:36 pm 

I'm genuinely surprised to read all this praise for 'Cracked Brain'! It's still a "My Sharona" single in my mind. (Destruction's untouchable masterpiece is 'Infernal Overkill', if you ask me. Then they proceeded to copy-paste that album with less aggression and less personal riffs, trying to make up for it with improved musicianship and more and more ambitious arrangements and production values, for most of their career...) :oh shit:

TheWaltzer wrote:

I don't consider it thrash, but it's one of the best metal albums ever! The original master from the UK release is vastly superior to the more well-known US version and its brutish remix to my ears, even though the band itself disapproved of it. That's the masterpiece I'm referring to.

You should be able to find a lot of praise for it if you dwell in the Heavy/Power/Speed Recommendation thread, among other places. It's generally classified as USPM, which might have to do with the name not popping up in too many discussions about thrash specifically. It's one of these bands like Agent Steel, Abattoir, Toxik, Savage Grace, Wrath or Metal Church, who in truth had just about as many elements of power metal, speed and thrash (each with its own mixture, and all of these bands rule). A consensus was reached for some of them, like pretending Metal Church or Toxik were just thrash, or Agent Steel just USPM, but it's not wrong to hear the obvious heavy/speed in Metal Church, or the clear thrashy leanings in Agent Steel or Holy Terror either.

cvac wrote:

No it isn't. 'Mind Wars' is a great opus in and of itself, and I would still love Holy Terror if it were their only album; it has such gems as "No Ressurection", "Damned by Judges" or "Christian Resistance", and it flows very well as a whole, I'm not denying that. BUT it has its weaknesses, it drags on here and there with some breaks and solos overstaying their welcome, and it's less inspired, despite many moments of brilliance, compared to the absolute bliss that is the debut, from start to finish. The fact that Kurt included the self-cover of Agent Steel's "Back to Reign", which is in every way as inferior to his previous band's version as Mustaine's self-cover of "The Four Horsemen", is a clear sign that they were starting to run out of ideas imho. 'Mind Wars' can't touch 'Terror & Submission', and reading the opposite always makes me raise an eyebrow. To each their own, yadda yadda, of course. Holy Terror was a fantastic band, we can agree on that, at least. ^^

TrooperEd wrote:
The first three Coroner albums are underrated.

Are they? The last I checked, 'RIP' was rightfully hailed as the vibrant masterpiece that it is, and 'No More Color' was highly praised as well (for some reason...). 'Punishment for Decadence' seems to be held in pretty high regard as well, despite being a much, much weaker continuation of 'RIP', which swallows it whole, "Purple Haze" cover and all.

MercyfulKing wrote:
Manilla Road's Out of the Abyss - By this point, in the late eighties, unlike Mystification, which flirted with Thrash sensibilities, this record is mostly Thrash. Whitechapel is undoubtedly the best track, the title track is great, so is the atmospheric Return of the Old Ones, Black Cauldron, so on. Im surprised this record doesnt get the same recognition like its other predecessors.

No, it's still a Manilla Road album. It's probably their thrashiest, along with 'Courts of Chaos', but it's far from being a thrash album proper. The incorporation of more and more thrash and speed metal elements was a very smooth process starting all the way back to 'Open the Gates', but these didn't replace the rest of the band's identity: the progressive, heavy, doom and power metal pieces are all still there, and it's as atmospheric and epic as ever. It'd be a really big stretch to call even 'Out of the Abyss' a thrash album; hell, it's even a stretch to call the thrashiest songs off of that album thrash ("Whitechapel", "Midnight Meat Train" and "Slaughterhouse")! They're closer to pissed-off speed metal à la early Whiplash, really.

This record does get a lot of recognition, though. To me it's definitely the band's final masterpiece, ending the golden streak that started with 'Crystal Logic', and I often enough see it mentioned as such (just check the reviews here, its average score is barely a few points below its predecessors'). It does have a few lesser songs, mostly the thrashy semi-filler cited above (which are still fine songs, don't get me wrong, they're just not quite classic Manilla Road great), but between "Rites of Blood", "Return of the Old Ones", the title track, "Black Cauldron" and especially the two you didn't cite, "Helicon" and "War in Heaven", it's not like it's lacking in fantastic, unique songs. "Whitechapel" is undoubtedly one of the least interesting and least Manilla Road-y tracks off of the album, by the way! Agree to vehemently disagree and all that. ^^

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next