Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:35 am 

http://metalnexus.net/review-ghost-bath ... ck-stream/

So Ghost Bath are back with a new album. The last one seemed to divide those who heard it. Some said it was just a copy of Deafheavens Sunbather (and those who already hated that record obviously disliked Ghost Bath also) while other thought it had more depth than just being copy cats. I am one who thought it was excellent and that the musicianship and thought process behind the tracks were on a different level compared to Deafheaven (even though they obviously travel through the same territory).

So far there is one new song released, linked in the article above, and it does show promise but with a glaring error. What did they think when they included the melodic part that first starts at 01:30? Not only is it a blatant copying of their own (excellent) track Golden Number (01:47) from Moonlover it is also a really crappy melody. Not only do they copy themselves, they do so with a vastly inferior melody line. I don't get it. Was there no quality control? The rest of the track is fine to me but rarely have I heard a song where the overall impression has been dragged down so much from one little riff or melody line.

I'm not sure if I look forward to hearing the rest or not... :-/

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:46 am 

This band was better when they were from China.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am 

I'm more concerned with this album being 71 minutes long. One of the edges Moonlover has over Sunbather is that it's noticeably shorter (one of the things Deafheaven would correct themselves with their followup). I don't think I want to listen to over an hour of this.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 am 

Moonlover was seriously excellent. Pretty interested to see how this turns out. But yeah 71 minutes is too long for pretty much any album. In don't know why bands do this.

edit: oh shit they are on Nuclear Blast now? I was a little concerned when I saw that, but the production actually sounds really awesome.

metalmastersmadness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

I enjoyed Moonlover quite a bit. I really dig the album art for this one.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:51 pm 

I like this band a lot. Looking forward to this!

BlackenedZeroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

Media hype. And I won't expect this overrated band, there are more depressive/post-black metal bands way better than Ghost Bath.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Moonlover was seriously excellent. Pretty interested to see how this turns out. But yeah 71 minutes is too long for pretty much any album. In don't know why bands do this.

edit: oh shit they are on Nuclear Blast now? I was a little concerned when I saw that, but the production actually sounds really awesome.

+1. 71 minutes is too much for this stuff(and well, for almost every style).

The new song´s production is perfect, artwork is good as the track is but it has some sections which I don´t enjoy too much. Lets hope that the álbum is better.

I don´t see the comparison with Deafheven.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am 

I have to say the new song had some parts that were a bit cheesy. I know that they had similar parts on Moonlover, but it felt a bit forced to me on this one, like they said "oh we gotta put a pop punk sounding part here".

despotband
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 am 

Today I discovered that Ghost Bath isn't a joke band, that they're signed to Nuclear Blast and that there's a bunch of you who actually like them. Whoa.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am 

Life is full of surprises!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am 

That Thrones single is a jarring clusterfuck of pop punk melodies & blastbeats with distant goat screams on top. An interesting combination to say the least. :ugh:

Last edited by IamDBR on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 pm 

Massively overrated and exceedingly dull.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm 

Wow, this "Thrones" song is absolutely fucking atrocious. Basically everything I hate about this style of metal in one - overproduced, over-layered, too polished for extreme music, lots of goofy sound effects. Fuck, it's bad.

WeirdoYYY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

Very few albums warrant 71 minutes. The digital age has given a lot of compromise to musicians who wanna needlessly wank off longer than what most people can sit around and take. I like that vinyl and other physical formats had a bit of a limitation so it forced you to reconsider or else your crap has to be a double or triple LP.

Flood the tunnels to flush out the rats

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Wow, this "Thrones" song is absolutely fucking atrocious. Basically everything I hate about this style of metal in one - overproduced, over-layered, too polished for extreme music, lots of goofy sound effects. Fuck, it's bad.

Are you a fan of their previous release or do you dislike this style in general?

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 am 

It's pretty hard to take seriously a band that once pretended to be Chinese and admits they have no lyrics while also claiming that the songs "deal with Jewish angelology" or some shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am 

InnesI wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Are you a fan of their previous release or do you dislike this style in general?

I liked Deafheaven, which this was compared to, and never heard anything else by these guys before.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm 

New track:

Youtube: show

I love the second part of this song. So simple - so effective. Got my hopes up quite a bit :-D And I've been listening to the Thrones track as well and I like everything in it except the part I described in the initial post. So far, so good....

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm 

There's a lot of hate for this band. Seriously, the whole China thing was a joke people need to get over it! It was misquoted in an interview that they are from North Dakota so jokingly they said might as well be from china. Moonlover was one of my favs from last year and hopefully Starmourner will be just as good. These guys sound nothing like deafheaven.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

I just don't get the point of this. Listening to "Thrones" now and there is no atmosphere at all. No emotion nor imagery is evoked. It's just kinda there. Call me crazy but I think atmospheric black metal should, you know, have atmosphere.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 am 

conquer__all wrote:
There's a lot of hate for this band. Seriously, the whole China thing was a joke people need to get over it! It was misquoted in an interview that they are from North Dakota so jokingly they said might as well be from china. Moonlover was one of my favs from last year and hopefully Starmourner will be just as good. These guys sound nothing like deafheaven.

Wrong, wrong, and... wrong.
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 am 

So the Chinese album, songs and band member names on their early releases are a result of said quote taken out of context as well? :lol:

At any rate, I sampled a few studio and live snippets a while ago and found them laughably terrible, so as far as I'm concerned there was not much for such a retarded publicity stunt to ruin from the get go. If people dig 'em, good news for them. There are worse things in life.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 pm 

this band is doo doo haha

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 pm 

I'm surprise the Chinese gimmick is such a big thing for some (it must be because it is constantly brought up when this band is discussed). I kind of wish they had stuck with that idea and built something larger based on that. But in the end I like them because of the music of course. I think I heard them before I heard of the gimmick actually. But they do seem like a band where there is not much in between. You either like them or you don't. The only thing I wish they would change is the vocals. I'm not a huge fan of the DSBM vocal style.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 am 

https://youtu.be/HOF7tk-WcrM

Reply to topic