Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:59 pm 

I just read on the group's facebook page that their drummer and one of the guitarists have left the band, making the others doubt the group's future. I for one think they're being too quick to give up.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm 

Yeah one of their longtime guitarists quit, I was the one who dealt with the original report. I considered posting it here but I wasn't privy to the severity of the circumstances. I opened for these guys way back when in 2008, really cool dudes! Hope they don't quit...

Last.fm

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:26 pm 

I want to see them continue what they laid down with IV, so it'd suck if they quit, but if they do, I'll be glad knowing they at least quit with a great final album.

KrigareTjovane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

I've seen them 5 times, and I've gotten to know most of the band members on a first name basis. John Laux, Adam Carroll, John Kevill, and Carlos Cruz are all cool and incredibly nice guys to their fans. They're not the best band around, but they are a great live band. I think they peaked with Waking Into Nightmares, but they really didn't release a bad album after that. If Empires Collapse is the final Warbringer album, it's a decent way to send off the ship. Much better than Worlds Torn Asunder would have been.

I wouldn't call it sadness, but this potential news leaves me feeling a bit empty.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 pm 

Why not just post the quote?

Quote:
So guys, all our fans and supporters, Kevill here up way too late drinkin', there's some bad news and as our awesome fans you guys deserve to know. I don't feel right about our prolonged silence on this issue and I think it's time we clear things up.

Drummer for the 3rd and 4th records Carlos Cruz and founding guitarist John Laux have left the band. This is a huge and devastating blow to us, and it makes even my own self doubt our future. Carlos made great contributions on the last two records, and John Laux started the band with me, we wrote our first songs together.

The more astute listeners have noticed this, as our last tour we did not have either of them on board. As for the why's, I don't entirely understand it myself, so I can't provide a decent explanation here. I really wish I understood more than I do.

Still remaining is myself, founding member Adam Carroll (he's back) and bassist of the fourth record Ben Mottsman.

This is why you haven't heard much from us lately, why the nonstop touring machine has grinded to a halt, and why any updates here are more about the past than they are of the future.

Honestly I have my own doubts on if we can continue, or if it will be right if we do. At the same time, I started this band out of high school, it is my first and only band, and everything I feel I've accomplished in life that I can really be proud of is tied to this in one way or another. I have plenty of ideas left, and Adam has a million sweet riffs, and to be honest I never wanted this to be over, I wanted to tour straight through the fourth album and go onto the fifth. I felt like this band has evolved on every album, developed its own brand of ripping thrash metal, and I only wanted to continue that further.

So I need to ask all you guys, what do you think of this? In light of all I just said, do you want to hear another Warbringer record, or come see us again?

Basically, are you guys still with us?

At any rate, if you listen to any of the music we have made, remember to play it loud. Whatever the outcome may be, keep rocking.
-Kevill

I loved Worlds Torn Asunder enough to have the splatter vinyl and limited edition CD. The live show was excellent, too. Empires Collapse hasn't done a whole lot for me, however. This band's lineup seems to have been unstable for years, so more instability shouldn't be surprising.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:34 am 

They have a hell of a reputation for such a young band. (I remember when people were eagerly anticipating the second album before the single came out.) They will be sorely missed if they chose to quit now.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:21 pm 

I really hope they are able to keep going as long as their hearts are in it. They've certainly gone through a lot of changes over the years so I can definitely relate to that frustration but I would like to see how they follow Empires.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:55 pm 

They're a good band that has been promising, but also sorta stuck on looking like they're ready to take the next step since the second record. They seem to be one of the few newer thrash bands that play aggressive, thrashy music without entirely limiting themselves into their own caricatured vision of thrash (i.e Lich King, Municipal Waste, et al rethrash). Warbringer developed a bit and explored around a bit, but haven't quite found and realized something completely their own, the next level, a classic, whatever you want to call it. They've got some changes coming, if they choose to continue this is a chance for them to take ambitious steps - rebuild the band, recommit, and prove that they can make one like the best. Perhaps they make a record with one guitarist. If Blake can and will commit to this band in addition to Vektor, they've got an incredible drummer there. I'll be waiting to see what they do next, it should be good.

KrigareTjovane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:05 pm 

Quality of albums aside, this whole situation seems reminiscent of when Bobby Gustafson left Overkill. New guitarists injected new life into a powerful machine. Like you said, Zodijackyl, they have a chance to rebuild and do something really, really cool. Horrorscope is the prime example of it happening in the past.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
They're a good band that has been promising, but also sorta stuck on looking like they're ready to take the next step since the second record. They seem to be one of the few newer thrash bands that play aggressive, thrashy music without entirely limiting themselves into their own caricatured vision of thrash (i.e Lich King, Municipal Waste, et al rethrash). Warbringer developed a bit and explored around a bit, but haven't quite found and realized something completely their own, the next level, a classic, whatever you want to call it..

I agree to some extent. They have a lot of great material but ironically nothing that's conventionally called a classic. Popularity is split up among the four albums. I think the appeal of the band isn't just the quality of their material, but how well they embody metal. They're the kind of band that's just designed to be universally appealing to metalheads. I described new Darkthrone once as the kind of music a bunch of sweaty people are supposed to get into and rock out and headbang to, as opposed to having any kind of alignment with metal or punk or whatever culture. Warbringer in a similar sense is just fun, and keeps the pace going, without much to complain about.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Quality of albums aside, this whole situation seems reminiscent of when Bobby Gustafson left Overkill. New guitarists injected new life into a powerful machine. Like you said, Zodijackyl, they have a chance to rebuild and do something really, really cool. Horrorscope is the prime example of it happening in the past.

Not to discount Cannavino and Gant, but when Gustafson left it went from being a 3-way writing collaboration to just Blitz and Verni. None of the guitarists since Gustafson contributed anything near as much as he did (he wrote most of TyoD for Lucifer's sake). Anyway, I give Verni most of the credit for Horrorscope being their greatest album; it's mostly his writing and he really stepped up to the plate after Gustafson departed.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 am 

I agree with the "talented, but not quite great" analysis of the band. Honestly I hope they call it quits and that the remaining members seek out some new collaborators, as I feel they'd be more likely to put out really good material starting fresh under a new moniker than if they simply replaced key members and tried to continue/live up to the reputation of a band that had more promise than it did great material.

GLOAMING - Debut album coming soon! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm 

Hard to find good drummers, but I guess it might be easier for them to find one because they are well known.

I guess it's up to them, if it doesn't work out it may be better to quit and start something else.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:57 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
They're a good band that has been promising, but also sorta stuck on looking like they're ready to take the next step since the second record. They seem to be one of the few newer thrash bands that play aggressive, thrashy music without entirely limiting themselves into their own caricatured vision of thrash (i.e Lich King, Municipal Waste, et al rethrash). Warbringer developed a bit and explored around a bit, but haven't quite found and realized something completely their own, the next level, a classic, whatever you want to call it..

I agree to some extent. They have a lot of great material but ironically nothing that's conventionally called a classic. Popularity is split up among the four albums. I think the appeal of the band isn't just the quality of their material, but how well they embody metal. They're the kind of band that's just designed to be universally appealing to metalheads. I described new Darkthrone once as the kind of music a bunch of sweaty people are supposed to get into and rock out and headbang to, as opposed to having any kind of alignment with metal or punk or whatever culture. Warbringer in a similar sense is just fun, and keeps the pace going, without much to complain about.

"The king of band that's just designed to be universally appealing" sounds like being resigned to derivative mediocrity. Metal isn't a box of chocolates with a little bit of something for everyone and a few things that some people are allergic to. A band that's "just fun" sounds like the excuse for the existence of shitty pizza thrash and girlfriend rock/folk metal. There's no five star chop suey for a reason.

I completely disagree that Warbringer is that type of band though. They're one of the few recent thrash bands that seems to understand that playing thrash metal doesn't mean being a retarded caricature of 80s thrash.

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 pm 

You know that there's more to current thrash than having bands that fall on the pizza nacho thrash side, and other bands who fall on the super-serious side, right? Like, it isn't one or the other.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
"The king of band that's just designed to be universally appealing" sounds like being resigned to derivative mediocrity. Metal isn't a box of chocolates with a little bit of something for everyone and a few things that some people are allergic to.

Well, I dunno about that. Sure, there are always going to be extremely unique bands that garner a lot of attention (and often rightfully so), but that doesn't mean a band can't be quality without being stylistically conservative. That's all I'm saying, is that their style is one that's been done before, but they do it extremely well anyways and that's why they're popular. I guess we'll disagree on whether or not they are though anyway, but I still think they're far from a caricature or mockery.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:52 pm 

Well since metal fandom is all about grouping and cataloging...I sweep Warbringer into the same pile as 4-Arm and Battlecross. They're modern thrash, leaning more in the 'core' direction than the whiffle one. Nothing wrong with what they do...but they'd have to really up the songwriting ante to stand out.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
You know that there's more to current thrash than having bands that fall on the pizza nacho thrash side, and other bands who fall on the super-serious side, right? Like, it isn't one or the other.

Yes, but the problem of being either a caricature or chop suey (something-for-everyone) thrash tends to be very common. There's also a lot of really bad metalcore-influenced thrash that doesn't really get the essence of either one down. Even much of the better stuff like Omnivore is still very much worshipping in the shadow of their idols. There are a few bands like Birth AD and Zoldier Noiz that certainly show their influences and don't match up to those classics, but are pretty damn good. There's a lot of homogenization and a lot of stagnation in thrash though, and few bands who seem to consider reaching out of those ruts.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:33 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Well since metal fandom is all about grouping and cataloging...I sweep Warbringer into the same pile as 4-Arm and Battlecross. They're modern thrash, leaning more in the 'core' direction than the whiffle one. Nothing wrong with what they do...but they'd have to really up the songwriting ante to stand out.

That assessment isn't too far off with Battlecross, but Warbringer? I dunno, I guess I have to refresh my memory regarding their material.

Last.fm

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:15 pm 

I feel this is pertinent to the thread rather than start a new one, so here's what's been going on as far as I can tell.

Adam Carroll is now back in on a full-time basis, although it hardly seems like he ever left since I can't recall if Jeff Potts ever actually played live after the release of Empires Collapse. Joining the band are Noah Young, Vicken Hovsepian, and Alex Malmquist on guitar, drums, and bass, respectively - all virtual unknowns to me but at a glance they appear talented enough. John Kevill remains the sole constant.

Youtube: show
Youtube: show

They'll be doing a handful of shows in Asia at the end of March and will be recording over the summer. Given the last two albums were also done at that time, an end of year release is certainly plausible.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:19 pm 

I follow them on Facebook and just saw that. I'm actually glad they decided to keep going. I like them and I'm looking forward to their next album. They are also talking about a NA tour.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Wizard1987
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:05 am 

Well, if they continue it's a good news for me: Warbringer is the first thrash band of 2000's years I listened, before them I listened only to old school 80's thrash.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:49 am 

Edited the thread title to reflect the recent news. Maybe the new members will add some new ideas to this band.

GLOAMING - Debut album coming soon! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:08 pm 

that drummer is kickass. Sounds like a lot of fun. I was wondering what happened to a lot of the great thrash revival bands recently. Warbringer is still a name, but the rest are history like dust in the attic. Does Evile still write music? Do they even still tour?

JDM839
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:24 pm 

The lead guitarist of Evile left so they didn't get to tour properly in support of their last album. I think they took a break and have finally found a replacement. I believe they are to start playing shows again this year sometime.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to seeing what new material comes from this new Warbringer line-up. They have always been one of my favourite new thrash bands and despite the massive line-up changes, I believe they will deliver.

Reply to topic