Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:06 am 

So this is a simple question really, and its pointed at our older forum users who were Cannibal Corpse fans from the begging or at least the Barnes era.
What was Fishers reception like when Vile came out in 1996? Obviously Fisher has a huge fan base now and nearly everyone here probably owns an album he is on,
so was he loved or were people not into his style? i realize its a subjective question, but i am just wondering what the scene thought?
even if they were Monstrosity fans before or didn't know of them or whatever.
I was listening to Vile the other day and this question came to my mind, i admit it took me a while to come around to his style and i always preferred Barnes vocal style until recently.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:26 am 

As far as I remember the reception of that album wasn't that good. I don't think it was pointed specifically at Corpsegrinder, but more that Vile was a step down in general compared to the overrated previous album The Bleeding, which might have been the peak of their career popularity-wise.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:32 am 

Thanks for your reply, it seems strange thinking about it now, knowing that now vile is pretty well received album now, but hindsight is always 20/20. Strangely enough i found The Bleeding to be my least favorite cc album, it felt forced and barnes vocals were weak imo. Do you remember personally if the Vile album changed your view on how cc were as a band?

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:12 am 

It didn't...I already found The Bleeding rather weak and Vile only settled that impression. I remember I found it odd that the band would make a rather big and risky line up change after the succes of The Bleeding. I did like some of Gallery of Suicide, but to be honest, when it comes to CC I'm all about the first three.

Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 am 

I've been a CC fan since the beginning, purchased every record upon release. I remember my reaction to Vile being the same as many at that time -- it wasn't bad per se, it was was just different with George. There was definitely a faction of people (and still are to this day) that hated it just because Barnes wasn't there anymore. I now like Vile more than I did when it was released as I appreciate it more. They have even closed their most recent shows with Devoured By Vermin, so it's good to see they are giving Vile a little more live love. Personally I'm not a fan of one era over another, I like them all for what they are/were. I can throw on Skeletal Domain and follow it up with with Eaten Back To Life and be perfectly happy. The one I can point to that hasn't aged well for me is Butchered At Birth....that production makes it hard for me to listen to it now, though I loved it upon release.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:31 am 

I semi-agree with 'The bleeding' being overrated, but the more I listen to it the more I get it.
Same goes for Cannibal in general, really.
Oh, and with regards to what the previous poster said, I'm actually finding more love for 'Butchered at birth' now than when I first heard it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:12 am 

Talking just about the impressions back then, Vile was trashed to no end. First, people didn't like the 'generic' death metal delivery of the Corpsegrinder, then the music on Vile was simply atrocious - and still is to me.

The Bleeding on the other hand was seen as an excellent album and a fine way for Barnes to say goodbye. Gallery of Suicide was way better received than it's ranked nowadays.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:13 am 

I've lived that years and I was a huge fan of Cannibal Corpse from the beginning.

After the split with Chris, the announce of Corpsegrinder to be the new singer of Cannibal was received with positive feed also from fans and press.
'Vile' received fantastic reviews here in my country, celebrating both the new structure of the tracks sung by George and the vocalist too.

So I have to disagree to most of people here, considerating also the great success of the "Monolith of Death" tour in 1996 (in Italy they play in spring and in fall that year!!!) with supporting act like Vader and Immolation. I remember George have a so great welcome and the pogo on 'Devoured by Vermin' or 'Monolith' was very impressive and brutal as fuck. More than once George does crowdsurfing on us and making us sing the tracks.

Of course, with George we have a new incarnation of the band (I prefer both, so...) where Chris had reached a dead end.
At that time Cannibal Corpse have also almost finished the successor to The Bleeding with still Chris on vocals doing tracks like 'Bloodlands' and 'Mummified in Barbed Wire' which you can find in the 'Created to Kill' demo. The difference is evident, and the end result with George at voice is a thousand times better as the song run so faster.

"You make it easy."

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 pm 

I don't think it was Fisher's vocals alone that drew a distinct line between the two eras of the band, but the actual composition of Vile as well. The songwriting was more technical and the production was oddly muffled for the style and the time, but a conscious decision from how clean The Bleeding was. "Perverse Suffering" is probably the centerpiece of the album that exemplifies this: It's stuffed with riffs and all over the place, pretty much the antithesis of almost everything they'd written previously as if it was a mission statement of the direction they were moving in.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:29 pm 

Coincidentally, Fisher was on Jamey Jasta's podcast recently and talked a little about this. I was sort of listening to it while going to sleep so I'm not exactly sure where in the hour and a half duration his beginnings in CC came up, but honestly it's a pretty decent conversation all around. However, if you've never listened to a Jamey Jasta podcast before, let me forewarn you that, in addition to his sometimes awkward childlike enthusiasm for ... just about anything, he has a terrible habit of using every question that he asks a guest as an opportunity to talk about himself. It's almost like, "well enough about me, let's talk about you -- what are your memories of first meeting me?"
https://player.fm/series/the-jasta-show ... bal-corpse

Reply to topic