Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 pm 

ACLB wrote:
is DarkRealm Records the only shop in the LA,CA area?
what about shops in Philly or Baltimore?

Quote:
NeverEndingNosebleed wrote:
TheAntagonist wrote:
Animicantus wrote:
Anything in Philadelphia or an outlying suburb (Overbrook, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, etc.)

Goodies disc exchange in Ridley on Macdade blvd has a real decent metal selection at reasonable prices (nothing really over 11 bucks). I've gone in there several times and have always found a few gems. Oh and they just expanded it too. Definitely worth a look.

Goodies Disc Exchange
2229 Macdade blvd.
Holmes, PA 19043

Excellent, another Goodies fan. Did you get checked out by the younger, balding metalhead or the older owner of the store? Because the young guy tends to give you major discounts if you buy good and underground music because he claims that it impresses him that people around there can recognize such good music. Amazing prices and a great selection overall, definitely the best place to go for metal in Delco by far,

oh man, what days does he work? I usually just see Joe the owner there. It's crazy if you go in there enough i have found originals of the following:

repulsion - horrified
Gorguts - Considered dead
Revenant - Prophecies of a dying world

plus a bunch more. Love that place.

Plus, there is some cd store around south street in Philly that had a pretty decent selection of metal.... the name escapes for the moment. (it wasn't repo records though)

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Anubis211
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 pm 

Does anybody know a shop in Bucharest , Romania ? :cry: :panda:

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm 

There's a new shop opening in Vista, California that will carry punk and metal. It's insane to have a shop like this in this area.

untappd: patrick_g

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 pm 

Anubis211 wrote:
Does anybody know a shop in Bucharest , Romania ? :cry: :panda:

The stores behind the old Muzica (Calea Victoriei), but not there, some street in the back of it.

But more underground CDs and better selection at concerts.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am 

Anyone in the metro-Detroit area, stay the fuck away from Slick Disc in Trenton. Their metal selection goes no further than Iron Maiden and Metallica, save for a few random albums that were obviously special orders that people didn't pick up, and the wicked old bitch that works there is beyond annoying. You can walk in with a fucking Rotting Christ t-shirt and ask about their selection of Finnish death metal and she will try her hardest to sell you a Lady Gaga purse the entire time you're there.

Painted_Wraith95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 am 

http://distro.todestrieb.co.uk/

Anyone shoped here before? Any good?

Madthrashingmatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm 

I live in San Antonio and already know about Hogwild and Flip side records. Are there any others?

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 pm 

Can someone please help and tell me is there a metalshop around my county? I live in New Jersey, around Somerset county, and the only music stores are f.y.e. and the Sound Exchange.

phillychease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm 

Any good stores in St. Louis, MO?

Seelenfeuer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 pm 

Orlando, Florida and the surrounding area

I want a shop that has old-school bands rather than just new stuff

JesusWept69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm 

I know of The Alley in the Chicago area, but that's more of a punk store. Still has some metal aspects to it with shirts and patches.
http://thealley.com/

The Metal Haven closed down I believe back in 2010, anyone know of any other Metal stores in the Chicago/suburban area?

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:46 pm 

Does anybody know a good metal store near Carthage TN USA?

:lol:

My Ebay Store

ThaCorrupted
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm 

Don't know if it's been posted here yet but there's a pretty good shop at the Mall of Georgia (Buford, Georgia). Lots of good metal gear and clothing, they've also got a killer collection of albums as well as comics. It's the only shop I know of in my area but if you guys and gals know of any other good stores in or around that area let me know!

Also, the name of the store is Rock Shop Music & Comics

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm 

PillarofModern wrote:
Can someone please help and tell me is there a metalshop around my county? I live in New Jersey, around Somerset county, and the only music stores are f.y.e. and the Sound Exchange.

It might be a bit of a hike depending on where you are in Somerset, but the Princeton Record Exchange is pretty good. Also, check out Vintage Vinyl in Fords.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Coffinborn696
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

any thing in Chicago Il.? The metal haven closed last year and I'm at a loss as to where anything else is.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:51 pm 

Madthrashingmatt wrote:
I live in San Antonio and already know about Hogwild and Flip side records. Are there any others?

CD Exchange, but I think they're phasing those out. CDE was never exceptional in the new releases they carried (though you can find some decent death and black metal from time to time), but their used bins ALWAYS have gems hiding out in there.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm 

Deh Dabbler wrote:
I live in Dallas, Texas but am not aware of any. Are there any good ones anywhere in Texas? I travel around the state a lot so if there's anything good in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc. let me know please. Thanks.

Hogwild is the absolute best place in San Antonio.

metalkyle9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
Does anybody know a good metal store near Carthage TN USA?

:lol:
I'm from Memphis, but have made more than my fair share of trips to Knoxville, and based on what I saw when passing the Carthage exit, I've got some doubts.

Having said that, The Krusher mentioned some places a few pages back in the Nashville area along with the Rhythm Section in Gatlinburg. I wrote them down, and since have been on Spring Break from college since Friday, I decided to take a road trip to Nashville yesterday to visit most of the larger record shops. Although there are the typical CD Warehouses and FYE's (the one I keep hearing about is on West End (?) in the Vandy area), I didn't go to those places while there. Here is what I found.

DISCLAIMER: Not everything I bought was metal, as I've been trying to rebuild my collection after I went through a certain 'chapter' of my life last year that didn't turn out too well which included me selling everything (I had close to 300 or so CD's at the time). Also, most of these stores have a large selection of vinyl and I was looking more for CD's.

The best place I found was the Great Escape Store on Charlotte in West Nashville. They had a solid selection of albums and CD's (mostly used), and while they don't have an exclusively metal section (it's in the pop/rock/soul section in the front-ish area of the store), I came out with Krisiun's Black Force Domain, Deicide's S/T, Satyricon's Nemesis Divina, and Drawn and Quartered's Return of the Black Death. Most CD's are around the $7-9 range, with some cheaper, and a small $1 section (mostly classical stuff). There's some Axis of Advance, Falkenbach, and a few other releases I decided not to get for the taking. Apparently there's another location to the next place I'm about to talk about, but I wasn't able to find it easily and wasn't about to fuck around with the parking situation there to try. Oh, and there are two different prices on EVERYTHING in the store, but the orange price (the cheaper one) is the asking price on stuff there.

Which brings me to a place called The Groove, in East Nashville near the 5 Points area, in a house on Calvin St. near Gallatin Pike. It's more Soul/R&B/Hip-Hop and hipster focused, and they mostly specialize in vinyl, but they had a small vinyl metal section. It looked like it had some decent stuff in there but some of the prices seemed to be a bit outrageous on things that didn't look like the typical used glam stuff typically found in Southern US hipster-ish record stores.

Another store I went to was Phonoluxe in South Nashville on Nolensville. Like what The Krusher said, they do have a small metal section in the M section of Rock. Most of the stuff in the store looks used, and the prices were all over the place. Most stuff ranges in the $7-10 range, but if it's labeled OOP (and sometimes they're pretty liberal about the usage of that term), the price goes up to $15ish (and mostly for non-rare stuff), and sometimes they like to label Metallica albums that aren't in typical jewelcases as imports, which jacks the price up to the aforementioned $25-30 range. As far as the employees being fucking rude, I think they more or less just have a bias against metalheads, as they were fucking rude to a customer who asked about an aforementioned Metallica album, but seemed to be alright with me. While much worshipped by me, I left Incantation's Mortal Throne of Nazarene for the taking as I feel I can do better than $10 on it. They're also only open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and ALL SALES ARE FUCKING FINAL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

The final store I visited was the infamous Grimey's in Nashville, and I think it was the most horribly stereotypically-hipster place I had ever been to in my entire life (and I was even wearing an Arcade Fire shirt no less). While everything about the store, both selection wise and clientèle wise, even down to what little metal they offer in the new section of the store (did however see a new copy of Mental Funeral in there, but I wager I could do better than $12.99 for it). Their preowned (er, I mean "Pre-Loved") section however, had some newer Enslaved (Below the Lights and Ruun) and even had Veles' The Black Ravens Flew Again slip into the used section there. If anyone has any hipster friends who want to get as close to Valhalla as they'll ever likely get in Nashville however, then this is their place to go.

As far as the Rhythm Section in Gatlinburg goes, I visited there when I had friends who lived in the Knoxville area and while everything is priced at pretty much full retail value, they've probably easily got the best metal section anywhere I've seen in TN.

titsNmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

Would any of you know about metal stores outside of Detroit, MI. Besides Best Buy, that doesn't have a wide selection, its very hard to find Metal CDs around here. I don't like buying music online, it feels allot better buying albums in hard copies. Any help would be very appreciated.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 am 

Will be heading down to Taiwan next month, any word of said thread title over there?

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 pm 

For folks around Chicago the best place I've found since the demise of Metal Haven is, surprisingly, Reckless Records. Yes it's known as a hipster haven. They have three locations (one downtown I've never been to, one on the north side in Lakeview I've been to lots, and one in Wicker Park I've been to a handful of times) and they have their own metal section. It's not big but you can find some pretty obscure stuff in there. In the non-metal sections you'll find the more popular metal bands have their own category (Metallica, Priest, Maiden, etc). It's totally a crap shoot though since it mostly depends upon what people are trading in. You can go there one week and find a Hate Forest disc and the next week nothing might suit your fancy (not that Hate Forest would). They also have a decent vinyl selection for metal selections.

Another place is Rolling Stone Records right near the intersection of Harlem and Irving Park. It's an okay place for someone looking for metal but you most likely are not going to find something obscure or way out of the mainstream. So if you're looking for the latest grind or black metal gem you probably should be looking elsewhere. When they do carry something it will a lot of times be a stack of 10 of the same release (i.e. Deicide's new release but nothing else from their discography). Very limited vinyl although they do (or did) have special table of cool stuff for that Record Store Day thing in April.

The last place is 2-3 storefronts down from Rolling Stone Records. I don't even know the name but it's a small store that carries a ton of t-shirts and hoodies. They also have a small section in back with some underground stuff. For example last time there I picked up Blood in the Wells (Drudkh) and Fallen (Burzum). Decent little store. I don't recall any vinyl however.

For someone looking for vinyl there's stores smattered through the city and 'burbs that will carry metal selections, but again, it's based on serendipity. But that's the fun of it, you never know what you're going to find.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 am 

Toronto, Ontario? Looking for some black metal vinyls.

Zombie94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am 

For San Antonio, Texas there is Hogwilds records. But for new they are quite pricey.

Julien Thomas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 am 

Anyone know of any shops in Lafayette, Louisiana, or central/south Louisiana in general?

farnebrink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 pm 

Kosmic_Sacrifice wrote:
Going to Krakow, Poland next week. Any decent metal stores/bars (black/death mainly) there?
Thanks.

Would like to know this as well, I will be going to Krakow soon and would like to spend some zloty. I heard of a store called Bad Taste but unfortunately it shut down and was reduced to mailorder only... so any pointers are very welcome, generally interested to buy black/death metal stuff.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm 

Are there any metal stores either in:

-Port Saint Luice, Florida
-Grayson, Georgia
-Snellvile, Georgia

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 am 

Guys, If anyone knows a Metal Music shop in Frankfurt?? I'm going there tomorrow for few days and wanna know if there is a giant metal music store around downtown maybe?.
Thanks in advance.

thrashyourskull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 am 

Generation Records
210 Thompson St.
NYC, NY

There are countless others but Generation is consistent and at least a pretty good starting point. 

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:06 pm 

Anyone know of any good metal stores in or around Bartlett, Tennesee, US? I'll be spending some time down there this summer and I wonder if there's any more metal down there than where I live now...

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
Anyone know of any good metal stores in or around Bartlett, Tennesee, US? I'll be spending some time down there this summer and I wonder if there's any more metal down there than where I live now...

I live about 30 or so miles from Bartlett and I think it's safe to say that there are no metal-centric shops there. Your best bet would be the f.y.e. inside of the Wolfchase Galleria mall in Memphis, which (I believe, don't hold me to this) is a little way's east of Bartlett. I've never been to any other f.y.e.s so I can't compare, but they've got a pretty decent selection for a town with fuck's worth of a metal scene (Possessed, Death, W.A.S.P., basically stuff that just barely goes past what is considered "mainstream" in the metal scene). I'm not exactly sure who buys the stuff there, you admittedly will have to sift through a bit of -core stuff, and the prices are a bit high (but that's probably just me being picky after getting good deal after good deal online - really, prices there are about $10-18 for regular albums, and then $20-30 for deluxe editions), but all-in-all it's not a bad place to shop - I picked up a copy of Emperor's debut there a few months ago.

Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 pm 

I live near Albany, Ga where the closest thing we have is IN Albany at an FYE, and it fucking blows.

Anybody know of somewhere else? :)
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead"
-Agalloch

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 pm 

Anything good for record stores in the Tampa, Florida area? I'll be down there from April 23 - 30 and would love to do some record shopping!

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm 

War On Music, Winnipeg's only true metal/punk shop has burnt down. Thankfully no one was hurt and the place was ensured, but still, a heavy blow to those looking to get their hands on some good vinyl in this city.

Pathogen4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 am 

Anything good near Denver, CO?

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:54 pm 

Any in NJ?

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:05 pm 

thrashyourskull wrote:
Generation Records
210 Thompson St.
NYC, NY

There are countless others but Generation is consistent and at least a pretty good starting point. 

Generation is cool, but can you list any of those countless others please? Not being sarcastic, I just really would like to find out. Thanks.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am 

Any good shops in Lithuania and Poland?

The Doctor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm 

Extreme Noise shop is more related to punk (in Minneapolis) but its one of the biggest punk stores in the world.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:43 am 

PillarofModern wrote:
Any in NJ?

Vintage Vinyl, it's easily the best CD shop I've ever been to. They have a HUGE underground metal section.

www.vvinyl.com

blashyrkh497
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 am 

any in the Southwest Louisiana area???

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 35  Next