Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm 

Every time a newcomer wants to get into Metal, he should have to start with the roots of Metal and work his way into the first Metal bands. Not only must he listen to and appreciate the music, he must have a literary background as well. Then he can move on to other genres of Metal, but each time he must read and listen to the important bands first. There is to be no jumping forward and "discovering" of new bands as he must understand and appreciate everything that allowed newer bands to exist. This is what all fans of Metal are required to do and if someone doesn't follow these exact steps, they are a generic simpleton and don't deserve to have an opinion on anything Metal.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm 

Yes, there is a desperate need for order, rules and regulations. The Old Ones from the Metal Underground should write those rules and King Diamond would be the Secretary, and there should be a United Nations department led by Dio and Chuck Norris enforcing them. Except, shit, the USA and a couple of Bananistans don't want to give any power to the International Court of Law or whatever the bunch of dudes with wigs is, and we'd still have these undedicated fucks from those countries telling us what death metal is. But we could always put an embargo on their exports of clueless dorks, right?

Are we being serious here or is this thread the greatest group trolling ever?

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:40 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Every time a newcomer wants to get into Metal, he should have to start with the roots of Metal and work his way into the first Metal bands. Not only must he listen to and appreciate the music, he must have a literary background as well. Then he can move on to other genres of Metal, but each time he must read and listen to the important bands first. There is to be no jumping forward and "discovering" of new bands as he must understand and appreciate everything that allowed newer bands to exist. This is what all fans of Metal are required to do and if someone doesn't follow these exact steps, they are a generic simpleton and don't deserve to have an opinion on anything Metal.

I love how the penalty is nothing.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:

And they say heavy metal fans are elitist snobs. Well, we've certainly proven them wrong, haven't we?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 pm 

I made the mistake of wandering onto a SlipKnot video on YouTube. There were a bunch of comments saying they must be the biggest metal band in the world today, and other people agreeing with them. You can't expect that a bunch of high school kiddies trying desperately to feel tough are going to have a workable knowledge of music.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 pm 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
And they say heavy metal fans are elitist snobs. Well, we've certainly proven them wrong, haven't we?

I don't know how you could take my post seriously unless you actually know Metal-heads who think like that.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:51 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Zombie_Quixote wrote:

I don't know how you could take my post seriously unless you actually know Metal-heads who think like that.

Unfortunately, that doesn't sound too farfetched. My bad.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 pm 

ENKC wrote:
I made the mistake of wandering onto a SlipKnot video on YouTube. There were a bunch of comments saying they must be the biggest metal band in the world today, and other people agreeing with them. You can't expect that a bunch of high school kiddies trying desperately to feel tough are going to have a workable knowledge of music.

I don't really think age has much to do with it. Look at all the most respected true metal bands of today. Decapitated, Death, Behemoth, ect.
All had members starting during high school. Decapitated and Behemoth were releasing demos at 14.

Another thing I find strange, is the belief that the biggest dumbasses in black metal are the high-school kids trying to be evil. These guys are not kids, they're mostly adults over twenty. Now, a lot of young fans of metal are though to be posers by other dedicated metalheads, simply because of this misguided belief.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 pm 

Napero wrote:
Are we being serious here or is this thread the greatest group trolling ever?

Any thread about disrespect towards older, highly regarded bands in favor of newer bands is a magnet for trolls.

theheinouskilling667 wrote:
I don't really think age has much to do with it. Look at all the most respected true metal bands of today. Decapitated, Death, Behemoth, ect.
All had members starting during high school. Decapitated and Behemoth were releasing demos at 14.

Death disbanded a decade ago, are they really a "band of today"?

Motleydude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 pm 

I don't like slam death metal and I do like retro-death metal/early grindcore (Repulsion and Terrorizer being par among them), but I don't like Obituary. I can respect what Obituary has done for death metal and how good they probably are, but I just don't like them. I don't even know why. I may like them into the future, but I don't know.

I like to think I'm not a poser. I listen to metal but I listen to metal I like. It's like how someone may be a fan of old music but may not like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones. It doesn't mean they don't like old music, it means they don't like certain bands.

I'm ranting, but I find that somewhat offensive.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

theheinouskilling667 wrote:

Death disbanded a decade ago, are they really a "band of today"?

I said look at the most respected bands of today. Death has quite a large following and is very respected in the metal community.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2