Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainCheezIt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:24 pm 

I've been thinking about buying some to replace some old CDs, but have heard terrible things about the audio quality. Is the sound quality actually that bad or is it just audiophiles mouthing off?

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 pm 

I have the first seven albums remastered, and the sound quality is fine.

EDIT: There's another incentive to get the remasters: the updated booklets and the enhanced video content are nice.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

Last edited by MercyfulSatyr on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm 

The only versions I've heard are the ones I own, four remasters and the original of Piece of Mind.

If anything, PoM is the worst-sounding of them. It feels very flat, dull, and empty compared to the others. I have no idea, though, if this is just how PoM works. But yeah, the remasters sound fine. I'd certainly be complaining if they didn't.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:07 pm 

Well, I own Killers and Somewhere In Time - both the "enhanced" editions aka the remastered ones. Both of them sound spectacular, especially Somewhere In Time. Everything you could hope in a production boost is pretty much there. If anything, the bass gets a bit drowned out, but that's probably because I blast mine to the max.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

halokaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm 

Ribos wrote:
The only versions I've heard are the ones I own, four remasters and the original of Piece of Mind.

If anything, PoM is the worst-sounding of them. It feels very flat, dull, and empty compared to the others. I have no idea, though, if this is just how PoM works. But yeah, the remasters sound fine. I'd certainly be complaining if they didn't.

I think read somewhere that the original Iron Maiden cds was just the vinyl track put on a disc, and therefore sounding worse. But I could be wrong, because I don't really know much about that stuff.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:14 pm 

halokaust wrote:
Ribos wrote:

I think read somewhere that the original Iron Maiden cds was just the vinyl track put on a disc, and therefore sounding worse. But I could be wrong, because I don't really know much about that stuff.

That was the case with 80ies albums. I own a couple of Anthrax and Testament and it was written that they were analog tracks. That doesn't mean it sounds worse (in fact, usually better), but with any band with an ounce of popularity, their material gets digitally remastered.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:37 pm 

It isn't really a problem. I recently bought a compilation CD, all remastered tracks. Compared to my originals there isn't really a serious difference. Besides, the song quality can't be ruined by such minor things.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.