Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:52 pm 

OK, this shouldn't shock anyone who is familiar with their history, but Deicide was a no show last night.

The show was supposed to take place at Harpo's, but when I got there the security mentioned something about Glen getting into a fight with the crew and they basically banned him from the premises.

So, then word goes out among the few people who showed up early that the show was moved a couple miles down the road, to the I-Rock. A few of us die hards spent an hour waiting outside for I-Rock to open up. Two bands wind up playing, but still no word on stage as to where Deicide was. After the second band played, the club let it be known that Decide would reschedule and the tickets would be good for the replacement date.

Obviously, the crowd was pissed. It wasn't all locals either, I came from Minneapolis, a couple others from Baltimore and two other guys drove down from Toronto.

Deicide/Glen just keep shooting themselves in the foot. The crowd to begin with was small, they didn't even fill the IRock which is a good bit smaller than Harpo's. But the really disappointing thing is that the few who did show up were hardcore, passionate Deicide fans. People who haven't had the chance to see them before, like me. One guy said this was the third time they've cancelled on him.

I don't know, maybe the whole story will paint Glen in a better light if it comes out, but it looks like more of the same old bullshit. Who else has had the misfortune of buying tickets to a Deicide show that got cancelled?

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 pm 

This post just goes to show what a complete joke this band is nowadays.

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:21 pm 

HumanVulture wrote:
One guy said this was the third time they've cancelled on him.

:nono: For shame Benton, for shame.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe the whole story will paint Glen in a better light if it comes out

Nothing short of a miracle could ever paint that man in a better light than the reputation he has built for himself.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 pm 

Benton probably just stubbed his toe or had a tummy ache.

Artemus_Cain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 pm 

Benton's got Laryingytis (holy fuck, my spelling!). He made it through the show two days prior at my town, but you could tell he was a bit under the weather.

OH GOOD LORD I'M HEAVING AND HORKING

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:46 pm 

Artemus_Cain wrote:
Benton's got Laryingytis (holy fuck, my spelling!). He made it through the show two days prior at my town, but you could tell he was a bit under the weather.

That doesn't explain why he would have gotten into a fight with the owners of the venue.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:55 pm 

I gave Deicide a lot of chances, they often don't show up to their shows and they don't offer explanations, I am not going to give them my money. I have seen them once, seen four or five shows get cancelled personally, and I don't care about them any more. Jack Owen's white supremacist affiliations are another reason to not go out of your way to give them money.

slurpeejunkiecraig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:09 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I gave Deicide a lot of chances, they often don't show up to their shows and they don't offer explanations, I am not going to give them my money. I have seen them once, seen four or five shows get cancelled personally, and I don't care about them any more. Jack Owen's white supremacist affiliations are another reason to not go out of your way to give them money.

Jack Owen's white supremacist affiliations? Do tell...

magickbass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:21 pm 

who cares deicide and glen benton sucks

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:36 pm 

I swear they've been advertised to come through my city here in Australia twice in the last year. What are they doing, scheduling shows everywhere in the world and only turning up to some of them?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ADescentIntoHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 pm 

slurpeejunkiecraig wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

I believe he's playing session guitar for two hatecore bands and did a solo set with Arghoslent.

Rattle_Head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 pm 

Well... since there's already a thread about Deicide, I guess I'll just post my question here...

It seems like Deicide is one of the bigest names in death metal... but also one of the less succesfull ones currently... So I'm curious as to why they were relevant before and why they'r hated now a days?

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:57 pm 

Because they've descended into mediocrity with the most average and recycled of death metal. I am in no way an expert on their music, I haven't even heard it all; but everything I've heard is almost literally a repeat of the previous.

I've never really gotten into this band, but I imagine I'd still like to see them live someday..

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14 pm 

I always buy tickets at the shows so it has never bothered me but Deicide cancelled three times here.
I saw them in 2007 and then early 2008 they were meant to come back but postponed it two more times and that's the last thing I heard from them.

Enslaved and Mayhem did the same thing here, they planned it and tickets were sold but they cancelled out.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 pm 

Rattle_Head wrote:
Well... since there's already a thread about Deicide, I guess I'll just post my question here...

It seems like Deicide is one of the bigest names in death metal... but also one of the less succesfull ones currently... So I'm curious as to why they were relevant before and why they'r hated now a days?

The first two albums were among the best death metal and Glen did some publicity bs(bob larson, saying he's commit suicide, 'im a big satanist',etc). Scars was good, to me, Stench was amazing, but after awhile, its just got boring, and Til Death was very repetitive. Their dvd's are jokes and glen voice has been shit for years , IMO.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 am 

They made great music in the early 90s. but a combination of supposedly intentional lackluster works and Glen's generally boorish public personality has led to their current reputation.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:01 am 

slurpeejunkiecraig wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Read the second to last post here:
http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=51715

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 am 

Arghoslent and a strongman comp? COUNT ME THE FUCK IN!

RitualWarCommand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am 

Well, thanx for the info. But this is such a non-story. This is one of those who cares... I'd definitely go see Arghoslent if the show was in my neck of the woods.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 pm 

NotGlib wrote:
They made great music in the early 90s. but a combination of supposedly intentional lackluster works and Glen's generally boorish public personality has led to their current reputation.

Why would they intentionally make bland material?

HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:58 pm 

Razakel wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

I believe they just wanted to put out enough releases in order to satisfy their record deal.

RitualWarCommand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:08 pm 

Razakel wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

Because they are stuck in a shitty record deal would be my first guess. But, based on many stories circulating on the net, Glen Benton has become a parody of himself. Even the last few recent photos I have seen of him, I was like "what the fuck happened to this guy?" Deicide is a band that seriously needs to go back to their roots and re-find themselves and what defined them. Glen Benton = Ass Clown. He no longer even looks threatening. Sad...

jagbag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:43 pm 

I thought they were cancelling shit cause Jack's dad died or something?

ADescentIntoHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:45 pm 

Benton's also one of the reasons why the last two Vital Remains albums were unlistenable. but then again, they started going downhill when Gruslin left. Forever Underground was good though.

TheCarnalState
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:26 pm 

magickbass wrote:
who cares deicide and glen benton sucks
fucking A

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm 

jagbag wrote:
I thought they were cancelling shit cause Jack's dad died or something?

That may be the case for one time, but they have been notorious for cancelling shows without an explanation for many years. If this is the reason why, they should let the fans know because people understand if you cancel shows because of a death in your family, but if you don't say anything, people will assume the worst (that you are unprofessional jackasses).

girnny777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:31 pm 

I will never forgive Glen Benton for canceling the show I was supposed to go to on my birthday.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:49 pm 

The one time I gave a fuck to see Deicide, they actually did show up. It was this past summer at Hostile City Death Fest in PA. The lineup was pretty amazing and yet ironically, there were very few people there. Jungle Rot, Vital Remains, Deicide, Pessimist, Absu, Monstrosity and others were there...I was mainly there to see Monstrosity and Jungle Rot.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
This post just goes to show what a complete joke this band is nowadays.

"nowadays"?

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:02 pm 

I love Deicide, got all their stuff, and I have no real problems with any of it. I saw them twice in 04/05 and they played crappy 30 minute long sets and had zero merch for sale at both shows. I met Benton and he wasn't an asshole to me, personally, but I could picture it. I'm not necessarily interested in going to see Deicide anytime soon, however, those two shows with short sets and no merch turned me off to seeing them live. As for Jack Owen's beliefs....who cares and why does it matter? If you don't like it, don't listen to it....and don't believe a word of him endorsing it until you hear it from HIS mouth, not anyone else's.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:53 pm 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
I love Deicide, got all their stuff, and I have no real problems with any of it. I saw them twice in 04/05 and they played crappy 30 minute long sets and had zero merch for sale at both shows. I met Benton and he wasn't an asshole to me, personally, but I could picture it. I'm not necessarily interested in going to see Deicide anytime soon, however, those two shows with short sets and no merch turned me off to seeing them live. As for Jack Owen's beliefs....who cares and why does it matter? If you don't like it, don't listen to it....and don't believe a word of him endorsing it until you hear it from HIS mouth, not anyone else's.

How am I supposed to ask him about it when he doesn't show up to shows and none of the band even reply to emails and messages asking why shows were cancelled?

DeathCroak
Professor R. H. Gumby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:18 pm 

Don't they realise that if they keep pissing off the fans, nobodies gonna come see them? Disrespecting your fans is just out of order, because they would be nowhere without us.

RitualWarCommand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 pm 

Rampant_Fuck wrote:
The one time I gave a fuck to see Deicide, they actually did show up. It was this past summer at Hostile City Death Fest in PA. The lineup was pretty amazing and yet ironically, there were very few people there. Jungle Rot, Vital Remains, Deicide, Pessimist, Absu, Monstrosity and others were there...I was mainly there to see Monstrosity and Jungle Rot.

There all down the street at the Job For A Cowboy and White Chapel show and such...

MOE_MACHINEGUNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 pm 

OP,
Im glad you posted something about this. I was there and I was going to write up a rant but I drank the pain of not being able to see Deicide away...
I lost a lot of respect, its not like they have enough fucking going for them that they couldn't make it. And hell, there was like goddamn 40 of us tops, Glen could have just thrown us a fucking bone, but nope we're in Michigan. Fucking Michigan is more metal than Chicago anyday. Damnit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:21 pm 

Only The Stench Of Redemption interested me at all, in their whole ndiscography. They're a joke now though, And if tickets cost more tha US$10 I would not go to see them.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:40 pm 

This doesn't surprise me at all. You have a better chance of seeing Axl Rose than Glen Benton.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Bloodsoaked666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 pm 

Their first album is their best by far and The Stench Of Redemption is a solid album but kids are not into Deicide anymore as we were back in the very late 80's early 90's. Deicide's style of Death Metal is not a big seller anymore and this can also be seen at most of their shows (very low turnouts). Deicide is out and slam or technical as fuck is what people are into now-a-days.

RitualWarCommand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 am 

I've said it before and I will say it again (even though I know the "original" line up will never be again), Deicide needs to go back to what made the first two albums great. Short of that, call it quits and move on to some other musical endeavor.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:08 am 

Considering their dvd's were boring, I think them live is a snoozefest.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.