Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:58 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:
AngelicStorm wrote:
Helloween - Walls Of Jericho

Power metal? Really?

In my opinion, yes it is.

Oh gawd. I just died a little inside (and I won't even bother to explain why).

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:21 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
Oh gawd. I just died a little inside (and I won't even bother to explain why).

Good. I'm glad.

Glad that you wont bother to explain, not that you died a little inside. :P

Songs like "Ride The Sky" are definitely power metal. At least to my ears!

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Funny, that's the album where Blind Guardian started to suck. Somewhere Far Beyond obliterates that album.

Blind Guardian have never sucked. At least not for me. Even the latest "A Twist In The Myth" has some good songs on it. *shrugs*

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:33 am 

Rhapsody's debut is pretty amazing, as well as Dawn of Victory.

Duffy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Vicious Rumors 'Digital Dictator'

I've only heard "Welcome To The Ball" by them, which is a great album. What other albums by them should I check out?

The only other albums of theirs i've heard are 'Soldiers' and their self-titled a while ago, they were ok. But 'Dictator' is their standout - great singing from Carl Albert, classic American power metal.

~Guest 181720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:38 am 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Hansen-worship? If you want a worship band then go get some Gamma Ray and go listen to Hansen worshiping himself. Helloween Deris-Era sounds like a different band, I agree. But they do so because they actually went away from the Hansen sound and did their own thing. Are you telling me that Master of the Rings, Time of the Oath, The Dark Ride, Rabbit Don't Come Easy or Gambling with the Devil are Hansen worship albums?

I will be quick to point out that Gamma Ray is among my recommendations for this thread. I can also assure you that Kai Hansen attempting to violin a guitar with his cock would sound better than the paltry collection of albums you've presented.

Dude, you have NO clue what you're talking about.

~Guest 181720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think Aeronautics is a good album but nothing more. To many semi-ballads and over all it lacks the, for lack of a better term, balls that both the debut and MKII had. Although I think this is the best vocal performance Jorn ever did. Compared to the other stuff he really sounds, again for lack of better term, controlled here and doesn't scream just for the sake of screaming.

It is more melodic than the album's it's in between, but because of that, it has it's own character, and I really like it. I agree with you about Jorn's vocals on it. They really shine on "Aeronautics", I think the softer material brings out a side to his voice that I really love. <3

Indeed. I really love when he screams, but I think a lot of his solo stuff would be better if he would sing the songs like he does on Aeronautics.

AngelicStorm wrote:
Quote:
And I agree. Jorn is actually my favourite Heavy Metal singer. I wish he would do more Power Metal stuff. As much as I like his solo stuff, it is rather generic and the only reason it sells so well is because his voice, not the songs. If they were released by any other band with any other singer, no one would care. But then again, that is just my opinion.
Did you know that Jorn actually was part of Yngwie Malmsteen's Band in a short time in 2000? I think they also wanted to record an album but that never happened due to Yngwie Malmsteen being, well, Yngwie Malmsteen and Jorn left even before the tour was finished.

Jorn is definitely one of my fave singers. :) His stuff with Masterplan and Avantasia is just awesome! He reminds me a bit of David Coverdale, but with more "oomph" to his voice. The "gravelly" nature of his voice is what I really love. I prefer that sound to singers who are totally clean. Nope, I had no idea Jorn was in Yngwie's band! lol I'm glad nothing came of it though, he's better off in Masterplan. hehe!

If you listen closely, you'll notice that Jorn has also a lot of Dio in his voice. To me he is like the perfect hybrid between those 2.
And I'm actually sad about that. I'd love to hear Jorn in a Neo-Classical environment. Jorn should do something with Olaf Lenk from At Vance or Timo Tolkki because Jorn and Neo-Classical shredding/guitar-jerking would be awesome!

AngelicStorm wrote:
Quote:
Both Uli and Roland talked Weiki and the rest of the band into making the album. They agreed with the condition that this will be a one time only thing. And while Andi and Weiki could adapt to that style, Weiki was extremly unhappy with it.
I'm actually sort of mad at Weiki. First he pulls the "Neither they Or I" on the band (when he offered them to leave) knowing that Deris and Markus never would let him go and then he doesn't even have the balls to look both Grapow and Uli into the face and tell them they're fired but does it via E-Mail. He had all the right to kick Roland and Uli out, but the way he did it just sucked.
And I think the album is a masterpiece. The only filler for me is "I Live for your Pain". And I never quite understood why "Madness of the Crowd" and "Deliver us from Temptation" are bonus track. They kick major ass.

I'm still not sure exactly why Uli was fired. Weiki has said some things about Roland, but not Uli. He said Roland was trying to take over the band, and not letting him play solos and stuff. Apparently all the guitars on the title track of "The Dark Ride" are played by Roland. Weiki said Helloween was about teamwork, and that was the main reason he felt he couldn't work with Roland anymore. You're right though, he should have at least fired them to their faces. I really like "I Live For Your Pain"! :P "Immortal" took me a long time to like, but now I do. Though I still find it weak compared to the rest of the album. And "If I Could Fly" is also not quite as good as the other songs I think. The 2 bonus tracks are awesome, but I find that a lot with bonus tracks in general! Sometimes the bonus tracks are better than some on the album, and you just think, "What the...??" :lol:

Uli was fired because of the same reason. During the recordings of the Dark Ride, Uli was the only member who was really fond of the changes Roland made. Uli became very involved into songwritting in the late 90s and, like Roland, he wrote a lot of stuff and, also like Roland, he wanted the changes to be permanent and not a 1-album-only thing. Uli and Roland had both the same intentions and this is why they were kicked. Weiki didn't like the whole teamwork thing and the new direction into which Roland and Uli wanted to take the Band.
"If I Could Fly" is probably my favourite Helloween Ballad/Balladesk song. I REALLY love it. Immortal is epic. It also took me some time but I love it now. My 2 favourite songs are "The Departed (Sun Is Going Down)" and "The Dark Ride".
Have you ever listened to "Find my Freedom", "We Unite" , "See the Night" oder "Never Surrender" from the latest Helloween album? Okay, one could argue about Never Surrender, but the other 3 are as good as the stuff on the album. If not better.

AngelicStorm wrote:
gravlagtieljudne wrote:
I second Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out In Space. One fantastic song after another. And Kai Hansen is a truly amazing vocalist, oh yes he is!

"Somewhere Out In Space" is my fave Gamma Ray album. It's flawless from start to finish, and is just Kai Hansen at his absolute best! Last night, I dreamt that I was married to Kai. :| Shame it was only a dream. :P

I can't tell you how much I HATE Kai's voice. To me he is the worst singer in Heavy Metal. He makes all the first pre-Kiske Helloween albums and all the post-Ralf Gamma Ray albums unlistenable to me because of his horrid voice. And that it sad because the music in itself is pretty good. If there is one band that needs a new singer more than any other band, it is Gamma Ray.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 am 

Kai is the worst singer in heavy metal? A bit overdramatic there man. His voice is pretty limited, but he's really learned to master what he has in the last decade or so, sounding charismatic and aggressive.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 am 

Ragehead91 wrote:
I can't tell you how much I HATE Kai's voice. To me he is the worst singer in Heavy Metal. He makes all the first pre-Kiske Helloween albums and all the post-Ralf Gamma Ray albums unlistenable to me because of his horrid voice. And that it sad because the music in itself is pretty good. If there is one band that needs a new singer more than any other band, it is Gamma Ray.

You can take that RIGHT back. He may not be a technically brilliant singer, but he has a pretty good range I think and it's hard to imagine any other sounding voice fronting Gamma Ray. He's faaar better than Ralf Scheepers, to take one pertinent example!

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:28 am 

Ragehead91 wrote:
Indeed. I really love when he screams, but I think a lot of his solo stuff would be better if he would sing the songs like he does on Aeronautics.

I agree. He uses a great range on that album. I feel he limits himself, or doesn't really push himself on his solo material. Maybe that's because of the much more linear nature of the music. Even though I do agree the major plus point of his solo stuff, is his voice. You put most other singers on there, and it wouldn't sound as good. Whereas Masterplan were still able to make a very good album without him. (MK II)

Ragehead91 wrote:
If you listen closely, you'll notice that Jorn has also a lot of Dio in his voice. To me he is like the perfect hybrid between those 2.
And I'm actually sad about that. I'd love to hear Jorn in a Neo-Classical environment. Jorn should do something with Olaf Lenk from At Vance or Timo Tolkki because Jorn and Neo-Classical shredding/guitar-jerking would be awesome!

He actually does have some Dio in his voice. Especially when he goes "Ah right!" :lol: Well, I've always found most of Yngwie's solo stuff just a showcase for him to show off his shredding skills, more than actual songs. There have been exceptions to this, I know. Like "Rising Force", and some of stuff on his latest where Ripper Owens sings is actually very good! I'd love to hear Jorn sing in that style too. Maybe not with Timo Tolkki NOW, as his songwriting has taken a dive in recent years, but Im with you on that. I hope one day he will do it. :)

Ragehead91 wrote:
Uli was fired because of the same reason. During the recordings of the Dark Ride, Uli was the only member who was really fond of the changes Roland made. Uli became very involved into songwritting in the late 90s and, like Roland, he wrote a lot of stuff and, also like Roland, he wanted the changes to be permanent and not a 1-album-only thing. Uli and Roland had both the same intentions and this is why they were kicked. Weiki didn't like the whole teamwork thing and the new direction into which Roland and Uli wanted to take the Band.
"If I Could Fly" is probably my favourite Helloween Ballad/Balladesk song. I REALLY love it. Immortal is epic. It also took me some time but I love it now. My 2 favourite songs are "The Departed (Sun Is Going Down)" and "The Dark Ride".

I did think the reason he was fired was because he wanted the band to continue in the direction of "The Dark Ride". Which I think is hugely ironic, seeing as some material on "Gambling With The Devil" shares the darker edged power metal sound of that album. I just think Weiki was more annoyed at Roland, because he wanted to take over the band. Wheras I think Uli just agreed with his vision musically for Helloween. Those 2 are also my favourites! But I also love how Weiki managed to get some of his more uplifting material on the dark album. "Salvation" and "All Over The Nations". I also love "We Damn The Night". Andi doesn't usually write fast songs, but he did a great job with that! "If I Could Fly" is good, but compared to other songs they've done like that, I find it less engaging. Though "Light The Universe" is the worst song of that type they've done IMO.

Ragehead91 wrote:
Have you ever listened to "Find my Freedom", "We Unite" , "See the Night" oder "Never Surrender" from the latest Helloween album? Okay, one could argue about Never Surrender, but the other 3 are as good as the stuff on the album. If not better.

I have. And all of those songs are easily good enough to have been on the album. I actually think "Find My Freedom" would have been an awesome opener. I love the way it just explodes out!

Ragehead91 wrote:

That is your opinion, and I respect it, but I certainly don't agree! He has a limited range, certainly. But he uses what he does have, to great effect. And I think he's the perfect singer for Gamma Ray. And I actually think Ralf Scheepers is a far better singer! Some songs like "The Silence" I much prefer the original Ralf version to the redone versions with Kai. But I still think the right thing happened when Kai became their lead singer.

~Guest 181720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:49 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:

I agree. He uses a great range on that album. I feel he limits himself, or doesn't really push himself on his solo material. Maybe that's because of the much more linear nature of the music. Even though I do agree the major plus point of his solo stuff, is his voice. You put most other singers on there, and it wouldn't sound as good. Whereas Masterplan were still able to make a very good album without him. (MK II)

As I said, his voice is the only reason why these albums are popular. If anyone else would sing those songs, nobody would care. They're a bit medicore.

AngelicStorm wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:

He actually does have some Dio in his voice. Especially when he goes "Ah right!" :lol: Well, I've always found most of Yngwie's solo stuff just a showcase for him to show off his shredding skills, more than actual songs. There have been exceptions to this, I know. Like "Rising Force", and some of stuff on his latest where Ripper Owens sings is actually very good! I'd love to hear Jorn sing in that style too. Maybe not with Timo Tolkki NOW, as his songwriting has taken a dive in recent years, but Im with you on that. I hope one day he will do it. :)

I sort of agree. He is great when it comes to playing solos and coming up with interessting riffs, but medicore at best when it comes to songwritting.
Okay, I didn't think the Tolkki thing through. Maybe 10 years ago that would've worked but not nowadays.

AngelicStorm wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:

I did think the reason he was fired was because he wanted the band to continue in the direction of "The Dark Ride". Which I think is hugely ironic, seeing as some material on "Gambling With The Devil" shares the darker edged power metal sound of that album. I just think Weiki was more annoyed at Roland, because he wanted to take over the band. Wheras I think Uli just agreed with his vision musically for Helloween. Those 2 are also my favourites! But I also love how Weiki managed to get some of his more uplifting material on the dark album. "Salvation" and "All Over The Nations". I also love "We Damn The Night". Andi doesn't usually write fast songs, but he did a great job with that! "If I Could Fly" is good, but compared to other songs they've done like that, I find it less engaging. Though "Light The Universe" is the worst song of that type they've done IMO..

I agree that Roland was propably the driving force behind the changes. But Uli was a major factor too since he became a major songwritter for the band ever since he joined them. But I think the whole "taking over" thing is wrong. During the recordings of "The Dark Ride" both Uli and Roland founded Masterplan as a project for their new ideas. I think they didn't want to take the whole thing over. I think Grapows problem was simpy the new style. And I also think if he really wanted to do more guitarwork on the Dark Ride album he could've done it. I think he didn't want to because he didn't like the new direction. In think after the album was finished, he thought "Okay, now everything will be back to normal!". Also, there were also some things happening on the Tour which we don't know about. Weiki said something about Roland and Uli getting paranoid. The official version is that they were kicked because the main-focus of them wasn't Helloween anymore but Masterplan.

AngelicStorm wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:

I have. And all of those songs are easily good enough to have been on the album. I actually think "Find My Freedom" would have been an awesome opener. I love the way it just explodes out!

Indeeed. Kill it is a interessting song but Find My Freedom would've been better. And according to the band a total of 17 or 18 song were recorded. So there are still 2 or 3 unreleased songs left.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 pm 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
Funny, that's the album where Blind Guardian started to suck. Somewhere Far Beyond obliterates that album.

Blind Guardian have never sucked. At least not for me. Even the latest "A Twist In The Myth" has some good songs on it. *shrugs*

Hear hear! Even if some albums are weaker than others, they're all good. I'd happily recommend all the albums to people.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2