Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PugFuglies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 am 

The Internet, as useful as it can be, has allowed us to be disgustingly self-absorbed due to the convenience of anonymity. Have you ever stumbled across a forum or chat room, only to be met with elitism? Here's my story:

After being ostracized on several chat rooms for being a sexually frigid pacifist who--gasp!--was only marginally familiar with extreme metal, I gave it one last chance by visiting some metal chat rooms on Soulseek. When enough of your character is revealed through casual conversation, it's interesting how people react. In this case, several of the patrons got together to make a homophobic Geocities website as some juvenile attempt to mock me.

The pinnacle of this silliness was when a couple of them found my AIM handle and tried to seduce me, hoping to get me to admit to being a homosexual. Despite this all occurring online, I carry a sort of shame for my views when talking to metal fans for fear of being verbally tarred and feathered. What's your story?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:41 am 

The fact you went to Soulseek to find conversation is beyond baffling. You should have asked somebody that before going there. Soulseek is the shithole of the internet for music elitists to hang out. Typically chatrooms are worse for that kind of stuff because people can rifle off b.s. quickly.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:44 am 

Elitists are generally tosspots. You may get a small amount which aren't, but most have the attitude that seeing as they know loads of practically unheard of, ultra underground bands, that automatically means their opinions are superior to others. And they think they have some greater authority in saying what qualifies as "good metal" and what doesn't. They don't seem to realise their views are just as much opinions as anyone else's. But they seem to think they're word is somehow "sacred" as far as metal is concerned. I tend to ignore elitsts' viewpoints, rather than take them at all seriously.

PugFuglies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:46 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The fact you went to Soulseek to find conversation is baffling.

I had great difficulty in finding metal chat rooms, and I noticed there were some in Soulseek, some of which had dozens or or a hundred or more patrons. It was back when I had this idealistic vision of communicating with other metal fans and feeling more of a connection to the culture. I had flirted with mIRC, only to be kicked out for liking certain bands or other petty things, and eventually found my way to P2P communication. These days I'm most comfortable with message boards.

Xim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:50 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Elitists are generally tosspots. You may get a small amount which aren't, but most have the attitude that seeing as they know loads of practically unheard of, ultra underground bands, that automatically means their opinions are superior to others. And they think they have some greater authority in saying what qualifies as "good metal" and what doesn't. They don't seem to realise their views are just as much opinions as anyone else's. But they seem to think they're word is somehow "sacred" as far as metal is concerned. I tend to ignore elitsts' viewpoints, rather than take them at all seriously.

Agreed. But at the same time, those who listen to only listen to mainstream artists and have a "holier than thou" attitude are probably much worse. What's even worse is when they call certain mainstream bands "underground" just because they like to play in small clubs. If you get radio and MTV play, you're not underground.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:56 am 

Xim wrote:
AngelicStorm wrote:

Agreed. But at the same time, those who listen to only listen to mainstream artists and have a "holier than thou" attitude are probably much worse. What's even worse is when they call certain mainstream bands "underground" just because they like to play in small clubs. If you get radio and MTV play, you're not underground.

Metal elitists are much worse than any Nickelback fanboy. You can't even have a conversation with metal elitists. I knew a dude in real life who was that sort of elitist. He was a dick and I couldn't even talk about a band without being condescended upon.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:58 am 

Xim wrote:

I think they're both as bad as each other, really. The ones who just listen to mainstream artists, and call certain ones "underground", are just ignorant, ot just uneducated. And most likely, youngsters. I actually find underground elitists worse, because even if they do have knowledge of the metal underground, it's like they use that as some kind of excuse to rubbish bands that aren't "kvlt" enough. Or at least by their own "standards". They think they have the authority on what qualifies as "good metal" and what doesnt. Or even what qualifies as "metal". Opinions are opinions, not matter who holds them. And these "kvlt" elitists are not exempt from that, except they happen to think they are.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 pm 

I hate hypocritical elitists. There was this Slipknot fan, who was also big into thrash, who accused me of supporting false metal by liking W.A.S.P.. If you want to be an elitist, at least adopt elitist views and don't listen to nu metal

PugFuglies wrote:
After being ostracized on several chat rooms for being a sexually frigid pacifist

By the way, Pugfuglies, I was asking you about this in another thread but haven't heard back from you yet; anyway, what is your stance on human sexuality?

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:05 pm 

I've always found that type of language from elitists the most amusing. As if they can tell someone's sexuality just by the music they listen to. I mean....if it wasn't so pathetic, it'd be hilarious! :P

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm 

AngelicStorm wrote:
I've always found that type of language from elitists the most amusing. As if they can tell someone's sexuality just by the music they listen to. I mean....if it wasn't so pathetic, it'd be hilarious! :P

One of my favorite rebuttals to people who call me a fag is to call them a pedophile. There's not really a more taboo sexual orientation to counter-attack with. I'm just glad that calling people pedophiles isn't as common an insult, or I'd have to resort to calling them infantophiles, and that's just nasty.

PugFuglies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 pm 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
I hate hypocritical elitists. There was this Slipknot fan, who was also big into thrash, who accused me of supporting false metal by liking W.A.S.P.. If you want to be an elitist, at least adopt elitist views and don't listen to nu metal

PugFuglies wrote:
After being ostracized on several chat rooms for being a sexually frigid pacifist

By the way, Pugfuglies, I was asking you about this in another thread but haven't heard back from you yet; anyway, what is your stance on human sexuality?

My stance is that our ability to have sexual urges beyond procreation is completely unnecessary characteristic of humanity, and that we would be benefiting ourselves if we somehow lacked this ability. If procreation were the only goal and the pleasure aspect was not perceivable, I personally think overpopulation wouldn't be a problem and sexual crime would be less rampant.

Last edited by PugFuglies on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 pm 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Xim wrote:

I think they're both as bad as each other, really. The ones who just listen to mainstream artists, and call certain ones "underground", are just ignorant, ot just uneducated. And most likely, youngsters. I actually find underground elitists worse, because even if they do have knowledge of the metal underground, it's like they use that as some kind of excuse to rubbish bands that aren't "kvlt" enough. Or at least by their own "standards". They think they have the authority on what qualifies as "good metal" and what doesnt. Or even what qualifies as "metal". Opinions are opinions, not matter who holds them. And these "kvlt" elitists are not exempt from that, except they happen to think they are.

I'll play your game and say that those metal elitists are also uneducated in the sense that they can't properly articulate what the real problem with the music they disparage is. I think a lot of people assume a kind of mindset in people that is nearly impossible to adopt. I don't know anybody who likes bands simply because "they're underground, man!"
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:29 pm 

PugFuglies wrote:
heavymetalbackwards wrote:

PugFuglies wrote:

My stance is that our ability to have sexual urges beyond procreation is completely unnecessary characteristic of humanity, and that we would be benefiting ourselves if we somehow lacked this ability. If procreation were the only goal and the pleasure aspect was not perceivable, I personally think overpopulation wouldn't be a problem and sexual crime would be less rampant.

Indeed, there would be some benefits if the world were asexual except for procreation purposes. I also think there would be some drawbacks. How do you feel about a person who engages in sex or sexual activities for pleasure, but does so responsibly without harming anyone?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm 

the main black metal room on soulseek is just for people to talk random bs.

If you want conversations you need to go to the smaller chatrooms.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm 

This has taken the wrong turn after a misdirected start. Not viable, I shall now Naperonize this ugly runt.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.