Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm 

I've enjoyed the post-Euro Mayhem albums a fair bit, even GDoW. But I think they should have changed their name when they reformed, just left the Mayhem name in the past.

Blasphemer wrote almost all the music, now Mayhem is in a very difficult position losing their songwriter who rebuilt them since reforming. They got really lucky with getting Blasphemer as their guitarist/songwriter, they will be pushing their luck to try to achieve that again.

Pretty much they should disband, but I would prefer a time machine to have kept them from reforming.

LetTheReignBegin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
LlamaLiberator wrote:
ST. ANGER RULES YOU NARROWMINDED CUNTS!!!!

St. Anger has nothing to do with actual music. I wonder how you got that idea that Mayhem are as bad as St. Anger. I mean, theres a definite huge difference, Mayhem has musical quality while St. Anger is just shit.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:01 pm 

I don't think that Mayhem is going to be able to find another guitar player who is a suitable replacement for Blasphemer. I felt like Blasphemer's works with the band pretty much rebuilt them, as another poster said, and I honestly don't think that Morfeus will be able to do it by himself like Blasphemer did.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:03 pm 

you can know only one thing about them and that is you never know about them.

if they find a suitable new songwriter, mayhem's gonna be a lot different from all the former incarnations (again) and people are gonna hate them (again) for being mayhem.

if they split, so be it!
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

harvesterofsorrow523
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:24 pm 

If they pull a Bolt Thrower, I don't think anyone will be upset. On the other hand, if they hire some good up-and-coming guitarist and he blows everything they've done out of the water, I wouldn't be too mad.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 pm 

I know from a friend who talked with the band when they were on tour in Canada this past summer that for sure one of their current live guitarists (Morfeus or Silmaeth) is going to be their new guitarist for the next album, and the other one may or may not work out - time will tell for them, and for us as well.

I think most eras of Mayhem, they have had something to offer; I mean, they are a strange band, why not see how far the rabbit hole goes? ;)

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:37 pm 

It's a shame, and a little odd, that Blasphemer called it quits after the phenomenal work he did in the last album. I think that with Attila in the band, and if the new guitarist manages to continue down the road the band was going until Ordo Ad Chao, Mayhem will be able to offer some quality music that doesn't disgrace their name.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 pm 

Winterkald wrote:
It isn't time for Mayhem to split up, it's time to disband with Attila and get Maniac back.

Fuck that. Maniac is one of my least favorite vocalists from a major bm band. Mayhem indeed should call it a day. Once Blasphemer left, I chose not to follow this band anymore nor go see them when they came in concert after the fact. Atilla is pretty good but I think he has to milk the visual presentation to compensate for the fact that this band is a shell of their former self to say the least.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 pm 

I think they should consider calling it quits.

It wouldn't be on a bad note, either. However, if Morfeus does become the permanet guitarist for Mayhem and they don't split up, it would be a bit interesting to see what he could do with the band. He is a really good musician and did a great job with Limbonic Ar.

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Winterkald wrote:
It isn't time for Mayhem to split up, it's time to disband with Attila and get Maniac back.

Fuck that. Maniac is one of my least favorite vocalists from a major bm band. Mayhem indeed should call it a day. Once Blasphemer left, I chose not to follow this band anymore nor go see them when they came in concert after the fact. Atilla is pretty good but I think he has to milk the visual presentation to compensate for the fact that this band is a shell of their former self to say the least.

How it's a shell if it has two members that played in their most important LP and one founding member? Blasphemer helped to define Mayhem sound in the past years, but Ordo Ad Chao wouldn't be that awesome if it didn't featured Attila on vocals. Also, the band is very competent live, even if Attila is dressed in jeans and a polo shirt. It's a shame if you missed their show just because they didn't had Blasphemer. I can accept that people criticize their latest offerings, after all everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but questioning the line-up's integrity is stupid.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 pm 

I definitely don't think they should split up. For all the shit the band has been through they still have a lot of time left. I love the Euronymous era and at the same time I also like the Blasphemer era, even GDoW. It will be interesting to see how the next album sounds. Will it expand on Ordo Ad Chao? Will it see the band return to a more DMDS sound, or will it be something completely different.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 pm 

There is no hope to even attempt to do something that will follow up DMDS. So why try? Hellhammer and co. have taken this band as far as it can go and it can go no more. Time to retire while they are ahead.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:58 pm 

Atilla era Mayhem is awesome i think. I loved the last album. Attila knows his music and he shouldn't stop working with them yet. I hope they tour again.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:08 pm 

Oh, hello Harold.

Shantideva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:02 pm 

Kind of a random thought but wouldn't it be cool if Mayhem NEVER truly called it quits? Like they just kept inducting new members, pioneering new sounds, and touring/recording until the Ragnarok? Mayhem, rather than a band in the traditional sense, to me is like an institution in black metal. They were there when Euronomous was pioneering the second wave, Dead and Varg and Hellhammer all passed through.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:46 pm 

Here's my opinion:
Mayhem's post-Wolf's Lair Abyss studio releases and post-Live in Leipzig live releases are not worth hearing. Even watching one of their 2000's live performances on Youtube is a waste of time. Nowadays Hellhammer's drumming sounds like overtriggered shit.
This band defined Black Metal in the early 90's. They have been through several periods with different line-ups, but only the line-up including Dead, Euronymous, Blasphemer and Hellhammer will remain legendary. I still like Deathcrush, De Mysteriis dom Sathanas and Wolf's Lair Abyss very much.
So I don't care whether the current line-up splits or not, I don't pay attention to them anymore. Latest EP Life Eternal (alternate versions of DMDS takes) is worth listening though.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 pm 

Mayhem always sucked.

boneexposed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:24 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
LlamaLiberator wrote:
ST. ANGER RULES YOU NARROWMINDED CUNTS!!!!

There's an enormous leap between the lame change of Metallica's music and the change that Mayhem has had. I don't think Ordo ab Chao is the ultimate masterpiece but it's not awful.
Don't be a sarcastic cunt.

http://www.last.fm/user/ArnusProfanus

iglumajor666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:31 pm 

i like evrything they have released so far exept for the live stuff it has always sucked for me and tough there are some annoying parts in ordo ad chao for instance in key to the storms attilas clean vocals sounded just stupid and after that he sounded like a bunch of 5 year olds pretending to be dying. but mayhem has never released anything that sounds similar to their earlier work and thats pretty good considerring there has been 20 years of MAYHEM! i hope that they find a reasonable guitarist soon if the make an studio album because the current live members i think are just too random. but anyways hails to the gods of BLACK METAL!!! (in my opinion)

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Winterkald wrote:
SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
invoking_the_majesty wrote:
SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
I've never really understood his strange obsession with dressing strangely on stage. Mummies, Easter Bunnies and homosexual army officers never come to my mind when hearing Mayhem's music.

http://www.wearworx.com/attila.html

I mean, what the christ?

I think it's very impressive how he dresses up and doesn't look like some fucking generic tosspot in a black metal band with black and white paint over their face.

The tree, spikey-headed creature and demons I can understand but why the admiral, officer or rabbit? The latter don't fit the feeling of the music whatsoever. It is funny, but it makes no sense.

I can't really take the serious. Dress up like bugs bunny and pretending to be Adolf Hitler? Yeah right.

Yes, because those things are totally intended to be taken seriously. Way to miss the point. I think those costumes are great, haha, way better than a typical BM guy. Yeah, it's silly, but so what?

Agreed, its dumb to not like a musician because they don't fit into a certain stereotype.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 am 

I like their music very much. Their music is not awful, like many in mi country said. Is an awesome band in Black Metal scene, though i like much the first moments of the band, with Dead, Euronymous, Vikernes. The line-up today is not so bad. Only a shadow of their former glory.

matrixmetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:32 am 

They could split or stop making records under that name or continue. I got to see them live this year so I'm set.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Winterkald wrote:
SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
invoking_the_majesty wrote:
SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
I've never really understood his strange obsession with dressing strangely on stage. Mummies, Easter Bunnies and homosexual army officers never come to my mind when hearing Mayhem's music.

http://www.wearworx.com/attila.html

I mean, what the christ?

I think it's very impressive how he dresses up and doesn't look like some fucking generic tosspot in a black metal band with black and white paint over their face.

The tree, spikey-headed creature and demons I can understand but why the admiral, officer or rabbit? The latter don't fit the feeling of the music whatsoever. It is funny, but it makes no sense.

I can't really take the serious. Dress up like bugs bunny and pretending to be Adolf Hitler? Yeah right.

Yes, because those things are totally intended to be taken seriously. Way to miss the point. I think those costumes are great, haha, way better than a typical BM guy. Yeah, it's silly, but so what?

Agreed, its dumb to not like a musician because they don't fit into a certain stereotype.

True, but I think that I made myself clear earlier by posting that I don't like the guy due his vocal performances with Mayhem.

By the way, no one has heard anything about Mayhem recording new material of something?
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

SFM
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:27 am 

I have no opinion really as I haven't been keeping track on Mayhem for many years now.

FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF THOUSANDS OF RARE/OBSCURE EXTREME TITLES AT VERY LOW COSTS! SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND!

ALL CDRS ONLY 2 BUX EACH!!

Loka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 am 

Ever since Pelle 'left' mayhem, this band has been nothing but crap.
The leadsinger is even hip hop raping now.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am 

Loka wrote:

Don't think I'll be going to any Mayhem concerts in future...

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am 

Loka wrote:

where, exactly? if it's in a side-project,, it has zero bearing on mayhem whatsoever.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am 

Shantideva wrote:
Kind of a random thought but wouldn't it be cool if Mayhem NEVER truly called it quits? Like they just kept inducting new members, pioneering new sounds, and touring/recording until the Ragnarok? Mayhem, rather than a band in the traditional sense, to me is like an institution in black metal. They were there when Euronomous was pioneering the second wave, Dead and Varg and Hellhammer all passed through.

I would say that this is an interesting concept in theory, but you have to consider what road it might lead down. A band that's long rumored to be going down this path is KISS (Ugh...I just threw up in my mouth a little...). Allegedly, it was proposed that KISS could continue into infinity with new members "playing the characters"-i.e. wearing the costumes and makeup-and none would be the wiser. Now, I don't know if KISS is truly going this route, but food for thought-would you really want Mayhem to test these waters?
Obliteration

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:33 pm 

Gene would like that, all that money and shit.

Last.fm

Loka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:40 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
Loka wrote:

where, exactly? if it's in a side-project,, it has zero bearing on mayhem whatsoever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLMbyTV_zwI

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 pm 

Loka wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
Loka wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLMbyTV_zwI

thats maniac (who hasn't been in the band in 5 years) and I dont see any "rapping". I see clean spoken vocals.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm 

Considering how many times something like this has happened, I don't think they should split up just yet. I'm at least curious to see what the next album will sound like...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2