Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:48 pm 

Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection is probably my fav one.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:38 pm 

I like Varg's vocals.

Then:
Malefic of Xasthur.
Mikko Kotamäki.
Ruoja / Pasi Koskinen. His voice is highlighted on Ajattara's acoustic album, very interesting.
Juha Harju.

Hmm, who else... I guess Dani Filth is worth mentioning though his vocals don't fit this category 100%. Quite unique.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:50 pm 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
Named wrote:
I'm thrilled by the amount of Pest love going on here.

Speaking of Pest, Necro from the band Pest (Swe) is a quality vocalist as well. His performance on the Dauðafærð EP in particular is stunning in the amount of feeling and passion he is able to imbue into his vocals.

Fuck. Forgot about this brilliant, black epic. The vocal work here is astounding, as is the whole musical journey.

My collection

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:54 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Named wrote:

Speaking of Pest, Necro from the band Pest (Swe) is a quality vocalist as well. His performance on the Dauðafærð EP in particular is stunning in the amount of feeling and passion he is able to imbue into his vocals.

Fuck. Forgot about this brilliant, black epic. The vocal work here is astounding, as is the whole musical journey.

Indeed, even if it is only a 20-minute EP, I'd consider Dauðafærð to be one of the best bm releases of the last decade. Completely breathtaking and unfortunately pretty overlooked. It's a shame the rest of their material can't be nearly as good.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:10 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Named wrote:

Indeed, even if it is only a 20-minute EP, I'd consider Dauðafærð to be one of the best bm releases of the last decade. Completely breathtaking and unfortunately pretty overlooked.

I'll agree with you there to a point. Over the last 10 years some damn good BM has assaulted my ears--it does belong in the elite ranks though.

It's a shame the rest of their material can't be nearly as good.

I do like their rawer, meaner material equally as well. Great, dirty, stripped down stuff.

My collection

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:43 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Indeed, even if it is only a 20-minute EP, I'd consider Dauðafærð to be one of the best bm releases of the last decade. Completely breathtaking and unfortunately pretty overlooked.

I'll agree with you there to a point. Over the last 10 years some damn good BM has assaulted my ears--it does belong in the elite ranks though.

Absolutely, there's been shitloads of fantastic black metal releases over the last 10 years, but something about that release really strikes a chord with me. Perfect cross between the melancholic and the aggressive, wrathful sides of black metal. On top of that, something about the track just seems very genuine to me.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I do like their rawer, meaner material equally as well. Great, dirty, stripped down stuff.

They do do what they do very well, but a lot of their stuff just seems much too derivative for me to get any real pleasure out of listening to it. I mean, on something like Blasphemy is my Throne, it essentially sounds like they just chose a different band from the second wave to copy on each song.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:36 pm 

Absolutely, there's been shitloads of fantastic black metal releases over the last 10 years, but something about that release really strikes a chord with me. Perfect cross between the melancholic and the aggressive, wrathful sides of black metal. On top of that, something about the track just seems very genuine to me.

This I do agree with 100%. It is a deep, almost introspective journey, simultaneously switching between, as you said, melancholy and aggression seamlessly. The song writing flows with a natural, organic progression that belies it's 20 minute length.

CrushedRevelation wrote:

They do do what they do very well, but a lot of their stuff just seems much too derivative for me to get any real pleasure out of listening to it. I mean, on something like Blasphemy is my Throne, it essentially sounds like they just chose a different band from the second wave to copy on each song.

I guess this is where we differ. I have no problem with their unflinching second wave fixation. :grin:

In Total Contempt and Desecration are both good to spin every one in a while. I like the raspy, shouty vocals a la Panzerfaust era Darkthrone.

My collection

Husker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:03 pm 

Mortuus of Marduk is the best BM vocalist right now.

prznmtlhed93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:50 am 

I've gotta agree with a bunch of people on this thread, Attila is probably my favorite BM vocalist.

I also like:
Quorthon
Hat
Jon Nödtveidt
and Maniac sometimes, (though he really gets annoying sometimes :wink:)

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
-Shatraug from Sargeist & Horna has to be my all time favorite vocalist, I've always been a big fan of high pitched shrieks and this guy masters them.

Yes I agree with you. Shatraug is great. I also love vocals performed by Corvus.

GoldenBull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

I can't believe so few people mentioned Inquisition. The hypnotic, crushing sounds of "Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult..."
Truly otherworldly vocals. I laughed the first time I heard Dagon's voice, I will admit. The second time, not so much. Now I just bow my head in awe.

LunarisCZE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:03 pm 

Ixithra from Demoncy, his low pitched "dehydrated" raspy recitation on Joined in Darkness is flawless as is the whole record.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:05 pm 

Shagrath on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. His best performance.

Last.fm

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:16 pm 

Josh (SGL) from Velvet Cacoon, his vocals are probably the best in the business. They flow with the way they play their black metal.

Kvarforth from Shining are my favorite black metal vocals. They surpass everything I've ever listened to. They sound so emotional and just flat out scary. Even Shining's later works sounds depressing and desolate. Best of the best. Then again, I'm a Shining fanboy.

Loka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:04 pm 

Listen to
Thy Primordials "Tronad Av Natten"

The greatest Black metal song ever in my opinion, and also my favorite vocals.
Varg vikernes is good as well.

krampus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

I really like Zhao from Be Persecuted. Especially in "Revolves Weakly Falls" - it's the perfect blend of grim, hopeless, and feminine.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 am 

Loka wrote:
Listen to
Thy Primordials "Tronad Av Natten"

The greatest Black metal song ever in my opinion, and also my favorite vocals.

Those are really good vocals indeed! I should explore this band further.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5