Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TempestGarden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:06 pm 

I am going to be moving to the metro Philadelphia area by the end of this month and I was wondering if anybody on the forums that lives there can recommend any good record shops? Obviously any that have a good selection of metal CDs. Thanks.

Speedmetalcrustpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:24 pm 

Not really at all dude I've lived here all my life if you find anything let me know man lol.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 pm 

Digital Ferret at 526 South 5th St. (near South St.) has the best metal selection in Philly to my knowledge. Long in the Tooth at 2027 Sansom St. near Rittenhouse Sq. isn't bad. You might find something at AKA Music at 27 North 2nd St. near Elfreth's Alley. It's too bad that the Relapse store closed. That was one of my favorites.

HiroshimaVacation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:03 pm 

doesn't Relapse Records have a store in Philliy?

ThrashMan320
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 pm 

Relapse Records did have a retail store in Philly, but sadly it closed.
Also, Beautiful World Syndicate on Passyunk Avenue has a decent selection of metal/punk records. Sometimes a good album or two can be found at Noise Pollution on 4th and South.

LunarTower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:41 am 

In addition, Positively Records in the Philadelphia suburb of Levittown has both a great selection of new and used Metal albums. Actually, the used selection is ridiculous, you could spend days looking through it. Good prices and a huge selection of stuff, plus a good comic book store next door for good measure.

Speedmetalcrustpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:23 pm 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
Digital Ferret at 526 South 5th St. (near South St.) has the best metal selection in Philly to my knowledge. Long in the Tooth at 2027 Sansom St. near Rittenhouse Sq. isn't bad. You might find something at AKA Music at 27 North 2nd St. near Elfreth's Alley. It's too bad that the Relapse store closed. That was one of my favorites.

I always thought that was a shitty goth store whats their metal lp selection like.

Fuck do I miss relapse they had so much cool shit that I thought was too expensive at the time now im kicking myself for not buying.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:53 pm 

Digital Ferret has a great black metal selection as of recently despite selling mostly goth/industrial stuff. Most of them are CD's but I picked up a couple Nightbringer LP's there. Repo records on south has a decent record collection but most of it isn't metal related. I picked up Sleep's Holy Mountain, a couple Earth LP's and Om's latest there. Pricey, but hey it's south street for a reason.

Speedmetalcrustpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm 

Headless420 wrote:
Digital Ferret has a great black metal selection as of recently despite selling mostly goth/industrial stuff. Most of them are CD's but I picked up a couple Nightbringer LP's there. Repo records on south has a decent record collection but most of it isn't metal related. I picked up Sleep's Holy Mountain, a couple Earth LP's and Om's latest there. Pricey, but hey it's south street for a reason.

Fuck when did you pick up that sleep album I'm there all the time and they usually only have twisted sister lps and lame shit like that lol.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:59 pm 

After Relapse closed, Digital Ferret set up its own Metal section. I think this store is great. I found a reissue of Thorns demos there. Also, I can't believe that I forgot to mention my second favorite Philly store, Noise Pollution at 619 South 4th St., in my earlier post. I bought some Russian Black Metal there.

tornintwo676
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:16 pm 

LunarTower wrote:
In addition, Positively Records in the Philadelphia suburb of Levittown has both a great selection of new and used Metal albums. Actually, the used selection is ridiculous, you could spend days looking through it. Good prices and a huge selection of stuff, plus a good comic book store next door for good measure.

+1, great store

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:00 pm 

Speedmetalcrustpunk wrote:
Headless420 wrote:

Fuck when did you pick up that sleep album I'm there all the time and they usually only have twisted sister lps and lame shit like that lol.

It was probably like 6 months ago or so. Picked up Dopesmoker there shortly after as well. I live around the corner.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.