Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 am 

kampfplatz666 wrote:
NotGlib wrote:
If it's at the end of an album, it shouldn't be a problem. All you have to do is press stop after the last track. Why people seem unable to do this is beyond me unless you're the type to zone out or use the music as background. And if that's case, I'd question how much you actually like that album in the first place.

The album must try to be perfect in its aesthetical objetives without the listener intervention. Period.

Some extra songs don't fit and are irrelevant in certain albums, if you don't understand it seems that you just hear music albums as mere compilations of songs.

Good post.

Stick b-sides and junk on rarity compilations. Let an album be an album.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:47 am 

Reid wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
I always thought that the "At War With Satan preview" at the end of Black Metal was stupid.

There's a bunch of shit at the end of mine. But At War With Satan is awesome.

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
Another album that is ruined for me is Darkness Descends.

Yeah definitely. The album itself could stand to be a few minutes shorter, but that shit just buries the horse.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55 am 

Pretty much every single reissue Megadeth album. There are a few exclusions, since Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction have 'My Creation' and 'Crown of Worms', which I really like, but the other albums just have 2-3 remixes and demos. I absolutely adore the band, but, even after having the albums for about 3 years, I haven't ever wanted to listen to the demos and remixes.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:03 pm 

I always found the inclusion of "Total Eclipse" on the "Number of The Beast" remaster to be rather awkward. It's not really a bad song but it does sound uncomfortably similar to "Revelations" for my liking...

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:42 pm 

I actually rather like having A Fine Day To Die on ITNE. What's really jarring is when that ends and the wailing on Gypsy starts . . .

Rattle_Head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:21 pm 

Something I gound odd is putting extra tracks in the middle of an album like with Lord of All Fevers and Plagues on Altars of Madness, I love that song but it makes me wonder why they put it #5 on the rissue... anyone knows anything about this?

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

xexyzl wrote:
I actually rather like having A Fine Day To Die on ITNE. What's really jarring is when that ends and the wailing on Gypsy starts . . .

100% agree with that, although its original ending is best, AFDTD fits in with the atmosphere of the album and can be passed off as acceptable, but Gypsy......right mood killer that.

The cover of Wild Child at the end of Goat Horns by Nokturnal Mortum is really just godawful and ruins things, horrible horrible vocals on it

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:39 pm 

I have some rerelease of Autopsy's Acts of the Unspeakable with like 15 bonus tracks. I just don't really find that necessary at all. But then again, there are some bonus tracks like the cover of Trial By Fire on Somewhere In Time that are completely awesome.

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:24 am 

Pretty much on all the first 3 Cannibal Corpse album re-releases with live tracks of the old songs, but with corpsegrinder on them. Ruins it so much, not to mention the new c.c. logo that they reprint on every album case.

As gestapothrash mentioned, the 'Boner City' bonus track from 'The Art of Partying' was fucking terrible, if that was their single and not a bonus track there would be so many scenefags loving the band right now.

Someone mentioned the bonus tracks on the reign in blood re-release sucked. I think theyre not bad. the re-recording of aggressive perfector is pretty cool.

On a subject of the best bonus tracks i just think 'Lucifer Rising' from Candlemass' 'Death Magic Doom' is awesome. The best on an older album that i can think of are the two bonus tracks on Death's 'Scream Bloody Gore' re-release, 'Beyond the Unholy Grave' and 'Land of No Return'.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:48 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
On topic. My version of Don't Break The Oath has a demo recording of A Dangerous Meeting, entitled Death Kiss. This tends to ruin the flow and power of the record (seeing as how it follows after Come To The Sabbath), as the superior version is already there. It is interesting to see the beginning of this great song, but I never listen to it after playing DBTO.

I agree that they never should've included it in DBTO but I like it better than A Dangerous Meeting.

Generally I don't like bonus tracks very much. I second the need for that calm silence after the ending of an album. They also feel like they don't "belong" in album and makes it feel more like a collection of songs. Then again I really prefer Crystal Logic with Flaming Metal System (one of those weird cases of putting a bonus song in the middle of the album) so there are rare exceptions. I think they should just put the bonus material on another disc. Wouldn't mind that.

kampfplatz666
Sturmbannführer Borat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:32 pm 

Giving an example of the opposite, when a record join diverses EP's are usually a good move.
You are kind of introduced to some period/time of a band, and has no bad influence at all (unless we talk about some very conceptual EP), and I'm thinking of the Morbid Tales re-issue joined with Emperor's return or Emperor/Wrath of the Tyrant together re-issue...

StillbornMisanthrope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:41 pm 

I think the worst bonus songs are those that are nothing but demo versions of the same songs already present on the album. They add nothing new to the album and often make you lower your enjoyment of the final versions of the songs.

Mercyful Fate and Death SS both did such a horrible thing to their own respective classic albums.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:43 pm 

I generally don't like bonus tracks being tacked on the end of an album. It ruins the flow and atmosphere created with the original album intention. Despite this I still listen to them if they're on the CD, because more music is more music. It's kind of a double edged sword. You get bonus music, but it's out of context.

GSZX1337
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 pm 

A much as I like the bonus tracks, the re-issue of At the Gate's Slaughter of the Soul kill the atmosphere of the album. The last track: The Flames of the End is an instrumental that draws the album to a calming close. The re-issue however, throws a bunch of covers, demos and an unreleased track at you after the calming closer.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 am 

Operation: Mindcrime is supposed to be a self contained work with a definite beginning and end, but my version has 2 live tracks at the end that really fuck the flow up. It's not a big deal to skip them, but I'm not sure why they would be on there in the first place. My version of Sepultura's Beneath the remains has 2 demos at the end that are just instrument tracks, again i am clueless as to why they are included, rare or not. Lastly, on Demanufacture by Fear Factory i thought the Dog day sunrise cover was not a terrible song but it did not fit the album at all, and it's song number 6 out of 11, right in the middle. Wierd.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

GSZX1337
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:52 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Operation: Mindcrime is supposed to be a self contained work with a definite beginning and end, but my version has 2 live tracks at the end that really fuck the flow up. It's not a big deal to skip them, but I'm not sure why they would be on there in the first place.

Yeah, it's that shit that makes you wish the bonus tracks were on a separate disc.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:47 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
On topic. My version of Don't Break The Oath has a demo recording of A Dangerous Meeting, entitled Death Kiss. This tends to ruin the flow and power of the record (seeing as how it follows after Come To The Sabbath), as the superior version is already there. It is interesting to see the beginning of this great song, but I never listen to it after playing DBTO.

I agree that they never should've included it in DBTO but I like it better than A Dangerous Meeting.

The fuck have you been smoking? Death Kiss sounds like a bad glam band doing a Mercyful Fate cover.

tornintwo676
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm 

IMO any release with a bonus track that you have to wade through 20 minutes of nothing is BS. I hate that shit.

cremationconfetti
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:35 pm 

Concept albums should never have bonus tracks, (i.e. Triumph Or Agony.) It really messes up the flow for me.

intothesarlaccpit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:52 pm 

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream. The bonus tracks don't add nothing to the album and it is better off without them. One of my favorites nonetheless. On the other hand, as someone mentioned before, PtK has Flag of Hate as bonus, making it even better.

PaulSeptic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:57 pm 

I'm not in favour of bonus track personally. All the Sep's reissues have terrible bonus tracks with the exception of the Roots double cd. However it is nice in some instances for example Machine Heads " The more things Change" Digi came with two of three killer bonus tracks one of which was a killer version of "The Possibility of lifes Destruction" that was killer.

Bonus tracks are great if bands actually but some effort in and it is worth while for the buyer. Personally 99% of the time I feel ripped off paying extra for a digi/2 cd with crap bonus tracks.

Oh yeah the "World of promises" the bonus track on the early edition of Inflames Clayman was killer too.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 pm 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

The fuck have you been smoking? Death Kiss sounds like a bad glam band doing a Mercyful Fate cover.

No it doesn't. Although I exaggerated a little bit (it isn't really BETTER than ADM but it's still pretty cool imo) there are definitely something I like about it. The warm nwobhm-ish feel maybe.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Some of the Judas Priest remasters have quite random bonus live tracks there - like Sin After Sin has a live version of 'Jaw Breaker'. Just seems really odd.

The bonus track off the Painkiller reissue, Living Bad Dreams, is frankly terrible.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm 

All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot

It had some terrible, terrible bonus tracks that came with it.

~Guest 172161
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:25 pm 

Shit like bonus tracks, remastered albums, remixes etc... they're all just for the sake of bands making that little bit of extra cash. It's a way of making reissues and "special editions" seem like you're getting more for you're money. It'll never stop.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:47 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Also, Tiamat's Wildhoney really fucks it up by attaching the Gaia EP which is just a retelling of the songs we heard earlier...ugh...kills the epicness of the album.

Well put! I think the same can be said about any albums with the same song twice, but especially Wildhoney.

In_Hoc_Signo_Vinces
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:28 am 

Children of Bodom's cover of Hellion at the end of Follow the Reaper. I could really do without this stinker tailing on the end of this otherwise golden record, especially with the gross beer drinking noises. I always delete it when I upload it to my nano.

asd27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:34 pm 

ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:
HiroshimaVacation wrote:
I got a reissue of Reign in Blood with bonus tracks. You can't add more to it! 28 minuets is what it should always be!!

Agree. It should end on Raining Blood, because nothing can follow that song.

I also found a copy of The Odyssey by Symphony X that had a bonus track after the epic end that is the Odyssey. Kinda ruined the epicness of the ending.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2