Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:39 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
I liked it a lot. Sure, it was standard Dark Funeral in a lot of ways, but I'd say that their songwriting skills have actually improved since Attera Totus Sanctus, if this is any indication of the overall album quality, which I hope it is.

I'm also IMMENSELY pleased that the rumours about them changing their style entirely was completely untrue. The song sounds like the same Dark Funeral I know and like. The riffs are perfect. They actually still sound like evil and to some degree cold black metal, so to compare them to Dimmu, who are best described now as a symphonic extreme metal band, is rather silly, IMO. They never sold out like Dimmu did either...can you imagine that song ever getting on the radio or being popular with the metal mainstream anymore than a band like Behemoth is? Probably even less than them, I'd say.

Provided the rest of the album lives up to the standard of this song, I'm definitely looking forward to its release. :)

Riffs? Black Metal? you clearly saw a different video.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:03 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Rild wrote:
Dark Funeral are mainly for BM newbies as ear-candy (as in Dimmu Borgir), and when there are so many better variations of the same theme out there for those of us better acquainted with the genre what's the point?

Comparing Dark Funeral to the Demon Burger....just, no.

Why bother posting if you aren't going to say anything?

Do you even understand why I made that comparison?

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:18 pm 

Rild wrote:

Yes, I do. Dark Funeral are becoming more well-known, almost to the point of being a "gateway band" for new kids, much like Dimmu Borgir. However, they did it without selling out, without compromising their sound, and without plastering their logo on shoes and skateboards to be sold at Hot Topic, all things which Dimmu have done. Comparing a black metal band to Dimmu Borgir is a derogatory thing to say, which is why my post had SOME meaning behind it.
Come on now, let's not start a flame war, we're all capable of mature conversations on this forum.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
I liked it a lot. Sure, it was standard Dark Funeral in a lot of ways, but I'd say that their songwriting skills have actually improved since Attera Totus Sanctus, if this is any indication of the overall album quality, which I hope it is.

I'm also IMMENSELY pleased that the rumours about them changing their style entirely was completely untrue. The song sounds like the same Dark Funeral I know and like. The riffs are perfect. They actually still sound like evil and to some degree cold black metal, so to compare them to Dimmu, who are best described now as a symphonic extreme metal band, is rather silly, IMO. They never sold out like Dimmu did either...can you imagine that song ever getting on the radio or being popular with the metal mainstream anymore than a band like Behemoth is? Probably even less than them, I'd say.

Provided the rest of the album lives up to the standard of this song, I'm definitely looking forward to its release. :)

A Metal Blade-signed norsecore band isn't mainstream to you? :roll:

It doesn't really matter if Dark Funeral 'sell out' the way Dimmu did, its not like they have ever created anything of artistic value that would be betrayed by overt commercialization. They occupy the same 'all form, no function' musical niche already.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:36 pm 

Regardless of Dark Funeral's mainstream "status", I'm still going to listen to them because I like the music. I have every right to do that, just as you have every right to dislike them. So what are we talking about at this point, and why? I don't have the slightest idea.

Is it just me, or is every Swedish black metal band that isn't Bathory referred to as "norsecore"?

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Rild wrote:

Yes, I do. Dark Funeral are becoming more well-known, almost to the point of being a "gateway band" for new kids, much like Dimmu Borgir. However, they did it without selling out, without compromising their sound, and without plastering their logo on shoes and skateboards to be sold at Hot Topic, all things which Dimmu have done. Comparing a black metal band to Dimmu Borgir is a derogatory thing to say, which is why my post had SOME meaning behind it.
Come on now, let's not start a flame war, we're all capable of mature conversations on this forum.

Well if you had elucidated your point like this in the first place there would be no misunderstanding; I figured you for a vapid fanboy sticking up for DF 'just cuz'.

I understand your point that Dark Funeral has not gone down the path of complete commercialization like Dimmu has, however that does not address my point that DF are a 'nothing-to-add' type of band musically whose function is basically ear-candy/entry band for kids, and for some more experienced listeners as a guilty pleasure (or not, in antipication of you objecting 'I don't need to feel guilty about listening to DF'). This is what my post was actually about, and you seem to have misinterpreted it. The fact that DF's compositional style and instrumentation adheres to the black metal standard while Dimmu Borgir doesn't is not relevant to the point I'm trying to get across. They have absolutely nothing to add to the genre.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Regardless of Dark Funeral's mainstream "status", I'm still going to listen to them because I like the music. I have every right to do that, just as you have every right to dislike them. So what are we talking about at this point, and why? I don't have the slightest idea.

Is it just me, or is every Swedish black metal band that isn't Bathory referred to as "norsecore"?

:lol:

Dark Funeral and Marduk are the twin foundation blocks of norsecore, don't try and act bewildered by my accusation.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 pm 

I, a DF fanboy? No sir, and I'm sorry for giving you that impression. ;)

Isn't the whole concept of music supposed to be "ear candy", or some sort of audio stimulation? Not trying to get on the offensive, but is a band's validity based upon what they bring to their genre? At this point in time, no new metal band is going to be completely original. Not every band forms/stays active for the sole purpose of revolutionizing a genre. It's a plus if they do, but most bands are just concerned with creating the best music they possibly can and having a good time with it. Dark Funeral could probably care less about how original they are, because they're making a living off writing some pretty good music.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:04 am 

Mateilkrist wrote:
At this point in time, no new metal band is going to be completely original.

There's still a lot between completely original and not original at all.

Just keep listening below average clone bands if that's enjoyable to you, that's what matters in the end really.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 am 

Mateilkrist wrote:
I, a DF fanboy? No sir, and I'm sorry for giving you that impression. ;)

Isn't the whole concept of music supposed to be "ear candy", or some sort of audio stimulation? Not trying to get on the offensive, but is a band's validity based upon what they bring to their genre? At this point in time, no new metal band is going to be completely original. Not every band forms/stays active for the sole purpose of revolutionizing a genre. It's a plus if they do, but most bands are just concerned with creating the best music they possibly can and having a good time with it. Dark Funeral could probably care less about how original they are, because they're making a living off writing some pretty good music.

Music is just audio stimulation? Do you call paintings 'visual stimulation'? What the hell kind of argument is that?

A band's validity is based on its skill, its integrity, its soul! I don't disparage Dark Funeral for not being 'original' (way overused word), but for the fact that their music is a derivative, polished turd of genre cliches with no character.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 am 

Rild wrote:
Music is just audio stimulation? Do you call paintings 'visual stimulation'?

Well, yeah. Music is meant to evoke something within the listener, just as I'd imagine a painting is meant to evoke something in the viewer. Saying music is ear candy for someone was more of a statement of fact, maybe even a compliment to the artist.

Rild wrote:
A band's validity is based on its skill, its integrity, its soul! I don't disparage Dark Funeral for not being 'original' (way overused word), but for the fact that their music is a derivative, polished turd of genre cliches with no character.

That's your opinion, and you have every right to express it. As bad as Dark Funeral and Marduk may seem to some, there's thousands of Transilvanian Hunger-worshipping "norsecore" bands that sound a lot worse. Treating Dark Funeral like they're the scum of Scandinavia seems a bit unwarranted.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:59 am 

Mateilkrist wrote:
That's your opinion, and you have every right to express it. As bad as Dark Funeral and Marduk may seem to some, there's thousands of Transilvanian Hunger-worshipping "norsecore" bands that sound a lot worse. Treating Dark Funeral like they're the scum of Scandinavia seems a bit unwarranted.

This thread is about DF so we're talking about them.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:38 am 

Kerpak wrote:

Obvious cat is......obvious?

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:08 am 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Kerpak wrote:

/facepalm

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Kerpak wrote:

Protip: If you see something at 4chan, it's probably not funny.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 pm 

Back on point, whelps.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 am 

now this is some real Christ raping black metal right here.

:scratch:

Kenose
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm 

I prefer the newer marduk over this.

Arezon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:06 pm 

They just uploaded a new song "Stigmata" http://www.myspace.com/darkfuneral.
I like it even more than My Funeral, which is an amazing song. This album seems very promising.

Jormungandr_Sorvali
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:36 pm 

I really liked this song.

I think I prefer this to their over the top, constant blast beats stuff.

And I have never thought the singer's getup and paint looked cool until this video haha

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:12 pm 

Woah, this is gonna be an awesome album!

SoulCancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:04 am 

Rild wrote:
Mateilkrist wrote:
Rild wrote:

Well if you had elucidated your point like this in the first place there would be no misunderstanding; I figured you for a vapid fanboy sticking up for DF 'just cuz'.

I understand your point that Dark Funeral has not gone down the path of complete commercialization like Dimmu has, however that does not address my point that DF are a 'nothing-to-add' type of band musically whose function is basically ear-candy/entry band for kids, and for some more experienced listeners as a guilty pleasure (or not, in antipication of you objecting 'I don't need to feel guilty about listening to DF'). This is what my post was actually about, and you seem to have misinterpreted it. The fact that DF's compositional style and instrumentation adheres to the black metal standard while Dimmu Borgir doesn't is not relevant to the point I'm trying to get across. They have absolutely nothing to add to the genre.

I'm not fully understanding your point here, so maybe you can help me fully realize your point:

- "I understand your point that Dark Funeral has not gone down the path of complete commercialization like Dimmu has, however that does not address my point that DF are a 'nothing-to-add' type of band musically whose function is basically ear-candy/entry band for kids"

Are you stating that ear candy and entry bands for kids are one and the same? And if so, how are they considered ear candy when most of their music far removed from the "Symphonic Pseudo-Black" sound of DB, as well as Symphonic Black Metal in the vein of Emperor.

Also, if we're stating that Dark Funeral have nothing to add, then are we also, by the grand council's judgment, bound by Metal Law™ to dislike the similar recordings of Slayer, AC/DC, Unleashed, Dismember, Autopsy and Obituary?

- "and for some more experienced listeners as a guilty pleasure (or not, in antipication of you objecting 'I don't need to feel guilty about listening to DF')."

I am glad you read my mind. Really, why would anyone feel guilty about listening to Dark Funeral?

- "This is what my post was actually about, and you seem to have misinterpreted it. The fact that DF's compositional style and instrumentation adheres to the black metal standard while Dimmu Borgir doesn't is not relevant to the point I'm trying to get across."

...what? I'm not quite sure I understand this either. Your post before this says:

Rild wrote:
Dark Funeral are mainly for BM newbies as ear-candy (as in Dimmu Borgir), and when there are so many better variations of the same theme out there for those of us better acquainted with the genre what's the point?

...and the one before that says...

Rild wrote:
They're a dumb as fuck cartoon band but unfortunately they have some decent tunes. I can't decide which outweighs the other, the engaging riffs and killer drumming, or the sub-retarded lyrics and jack-o'-lantern atmosphere.

So the only thing I can take from this is that you actually like some of this band's songs, but you're somehow scared of enjoying something "dumb as fuck" with "sub-retarded lyrics"? A bit critical, don't you think, as bands who lay on the cheese and stereotypes infinitely thicker that still hold (at the very least) passing, contemptuous respect and (at worse) die-hard fans willing to listen to anything a band member urinates on?

Not trying to single you out here, Rild, but I've seen plenty of people slam Dark Funeral with little reason, so I'm trying to understand where all this is coming from. Personally, I've been listening to Dark Funeral since I found the Secret of the Black Arts at a shop around here around '96, and it was physically distributed by No Fashion Records. I did end up picking up Vobiscum when it came out, and was kind of surprised that Metal Blade ended up getting their logo slapped across it. And I've followed them fairly actively since that point as well, picking up releases as I've found them.

No, they're not groundbreaking, but calling them a gateway band is a bit presumptuous, I think. I have can easily see a Marilyn Manson fan "getting" Cradle of Filth. However, I have a much harder time seeing the leap from Cradle of Filth to, say, Dark Funeral. That'd be a bit like imagining an 80's hair metal fan telling me that The Return... is "pretty rad" - it just doesn't calculate for me.

OT: My Funeral doesn't sound too bad - I'm getting the kind of vibe off of it I got when I first heard Vobiscum Satanas (the song) - slow, malevolent and just a bit weird. The only song off of this one that I might actively hate is "My Latex Queen" - Goddess of Sodomy was the whole reason I put off listening to Diabolis Interium for so long.

Okay, I concede one point - Dark Funeral should really lay off the whole "Mistress / Slave" concept, as it comes across as kinda desperate.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2