Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lowki1087
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:42 pm 

My vote definitely goes to Melissa by Mercyful Fate. IDK it's just something about it's atmosphere that makes them sound so untrustworthy and sinister. Just listen to 'Black Funeral' and tell me King Diamond doesn't have any bodies buried in his basement.

A close second is a tie betwee Nortt's - Gudsforladt and Candlemass' - Nightfall, both are just....cold.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:48 pm 

lowki1087 wrote:
My vote definitely goes to Melissa by Mercyful Fate. IDK it's just something about it's atmosphere that makes them sound so untrustworthy.

:lol: I don't know if I've ever heard an untrustworthy album

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 pm 

Queensryche's American Soldier is pretty damn evil, if you ask me.

And to think people actually spent money on that! Well done, Satan! Well done!

youngoldschool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 pm 

lowki1087 wrote:
My vote definitely goes to Melissa by Mercyful Fate. IDK it's just something about it's atmosphere that makes them sound so untrustworthy and sinister. Just listen to 'Black Funeral' and tell me King Diamond doesn't have any bodies buried in his basement.

A close second is a tie betwee Nortt's - Gudsforladt and Candlemass' - Nightfall, both are just....cold.

:nods:

Someone else gets it!

MorbidCum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 pm 

Vpaahsalbrox - 14 Sovereign [demo] sounds evil to me and I love it.

Also, I think the atmosphere Xasthur creates is evil. It just sounds psychotic. Like music for serial killers, mental institutions and such.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 am 

MorbidCum wrote:
Also, I think the atmosphere Xasthur creates is evil. It just sounds psychotic. Like music for serial killers, mental institutions and such.

The only Xasthur album that I feel nails down the psychotic, evil atmosphere and tone is Telepathic With The Deceased, especially the intro and the title track. That album is just one haunting piece of work that really picked up after the first two failures.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MorbidCum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
MorbidCum wrote:
The only Xasthur album that I feel nails down the psychotic, evil atmosphere and tone is Telepathic With The Deceased, especially the intro and the title track. That album is just one haunting piece of work that really picked up after the first two failures.

I don't know which albums, but to say that only that one captures the sound would be misleading because the xasthur sound has been pretty consistent and unique throughout imo.

petrichorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am 

graveland - drunemeton
moonblood - blut und krieg
infernum - ...taur-nu-fuin...
darkthrone - transilvanian hunger
dissection - storm of the light's bane
emperor - in the nightside eclipse
immortal -diabolical Fullmoon mysticism
judas iscariot - heaven in flames
mayhem - dmds
mercyful fate - don't break the oath
mutiilation - vampires of black imperial blood
nokturnal mortum - lunar poetry
rotting christ - triarchy of the lost lovers
taake - nattestid ser porten vid
xasthur - the funeral of being

i could go on forever

Sregor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:40 pm 

For me I'm gonna have to say Remains of a Dead Cursed Soul by Mütiilation. The first time time I heard that album the vocals scared the shit out of me. Something about that album just creeps me out. I think its the combination of the vocals, shitty production and atmosphere.

Under a Funeral Moon also seems evil to me, more so than ABITNS and TH for some reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I checked out Aghast a few nights ago after seeing their name in here and they create such a haunting atmosphere with those vocals and because of the ambiance you can't really tell what is happening

StillbornMisanthrope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 pm 

So nobody is going to second Crippled Lucifer? I mean that music gave me nightmares the first time I heard it when half asleep.

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 am 

Hm...most evil...one of the releases by Demonic Christ, can't recall which, is up there.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

CapeOvBats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:25 am 

'Evil' evokes two different meanings for me. There's the occult, ambient evil than there's the crushing skullfuck Mary evil.
For the first evil there's a few, such as most things by Moevot, and Brenoritvrezorkre. These bands just have such an eeriness around them, as with most things for Les Legions Noires. Even Black Murder I would think, and some releases by Mutiilation. I would listen to them while reading Lovecraft and it just freaked me the fuck out to the point where I'd almost be afraid to breathe. This also goes for most Leviathan and Lurker of Chalice, and Burning Witch.
The other sort of evil I imagine would be closely linked to bands such as Mayhem, early Gorgoroth, Skeletonwitch, Morbid Angel and Akercocke where you just listen and are amazed by the total absurdity and depravity and ask, how much more evil can it get?

MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:31 pm 

While a lot of the albums listed likely do create a very dark atmosphere indeed, I think a lot of people are confusing "evil" with "scary". Something can be really, really fucking scary, and not be particularly evil. Conversely something can be pure black hate, evil, and indeed be sinister from that point of view, but in the way that makes one actually scared? Probably not.

People are talking mostly about the former as opposed to the latter. A good example of this is Obituary's Slowly We Rot or Autopsy's Mental Funeral. Both albums are scary, but not evil in that evil haunting kind of way, even if they are more genuinely frightening.

Then take albums like Dark Funeral's The Secrets Of The Black Arts, Dissection's The Somberlain and also Storm Of The Light's Bane, Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, or any of Gorgoroth's first three albums. None of these albums are particularly scary to listen to if you are already familiar with black metal. But all of them create a truly evil atmosphere.

Bottom line: if you want to be scared in a dark room, then by all means listen to Sunn 0))), Khanate, The Axis Of Perdition, and various frightening albums like Autopsy's first two releases, Obituary's first two albums, Infester's Down To The Depths In Degradation, or virtually any old school death metal with a very dark atmosphere. If, on the other hand, you want to experience an evil atmosphere, listen to any very evil black metal, or some really evil death metal. An obvious but still true choice is Morbid Angel's Altars Of Madness. And that is somewhat scary as well as evil.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:35 pm 

Incantation - Onwards To Golgotha. Just something about that incredible heaviness that echoes from the deepest circle of hell.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

thelzdking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:29 pm 

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon: the primitive guitars and drums and the weird vocals sound pretty evil to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:02 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure nobody ever actually spent money on that album.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm 

Probably "Legion" by Deicide. That album used to scare me silly when I was younger! "Reek Of Putrefaction" (the song) still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I listen to it. That song sounds like evil in pure audio form!

Zelkiiro wrote:

:lol: Have to agree with you there!

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 pm 

Portal's Outre'. I'd make my kid listen to that on repeat while they slept in a dark room that was locked if they ever did something really bad.

Motleydude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:03 pm 

Dystopia's Human = Garbage and some of Megadeth's Peace Sells.

Megadeth's Bad Omen is one of the most legitimately scary songs I've heard in my life.

Also the obligatory mention of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath!

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:07 pm 

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare gets my pick. Perhaps not evil in the way most "evil" albums are evil, but the sheer deranged psychotic fury in this album is incredible.

If evil death metal is like being stalked by a serial killer, Vio-Lence is like being in the presence of a madman shooting up the neighborhood with a machine gun just for the hell of it. Will you end up taking a bullet? Maybe, maybe not, but you don't want to stick around and find out.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm 

Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom not only sounds evil; but the atmosphere makes you want to go kick the shit out of the nearest priest.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Loka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 pm 

Woods of infinity are probably the sickest band I've ever heard. The lyrics are almost only about pedophilia.

Album: Hejdå
http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=74067

" Woods of Infinity creates a unique sound, filled with melancholia, despair, hatred and insanity. Great lyrics dealing with the darker sides of the human mind, about murder from the murderer's perspective, pedophilia, rape, torture, suicide etc. This is truly a masterpiece that needs to be heard. "

Bands such as Cannibal corpse are just disgusting.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 pm 

Loka wrote:

"Barry Manilow cover" :metal:

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:33 pm 

I just re-listened to my Drawing Down the Moon lp. :bow: Fanboi banter aside, I know I mentioned it earlier, but it's more evil than I remembered. Seriously, most evil album on Earth? I lack words. And Summerlands? I mean it's the only song with nature sounds I heard that is creepy.

Carbone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:03 am 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
While a lot of the albums listed likely do create a very dark atmosphere indeed, I think a lot of people are confusing "evil" with "scary"

That's the one catch threads like these run into. "Evil sounding" means different things to different people. As you pointed out, the two main camps here seem to be those who think "brick-shitingly" scary music sounds evil, and those who think extremely misanthropic, blasphemous stuff sounds evil. It's just perception though.

ThrashMan320
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:52 am 

None so vile. the name says it all.

Divus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 am 

It's an interesting question because it evokes in you the question of what you think evil is, and more specifically, what it sounds like hahaha. In audio form, I can't really explain but these titles can...

Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Necrovore - Divus De Mortuus
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:13 am 

Worship Him is pretty damn evil.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:01 pm 

i have to agree with Xasthur's Telepathic With The Deceased.there just isnt an album like it, and its definetly the most evil album ive ever heard.dark,desolate,abrasive,cold,evil.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
Worship Him is pretty damn evil.

Agreed 100%, and was one of the first albums that popped into my mind when I saw this topic. The vocals are definitely what give off that impression the most for me, and particularly on Into the Pentagram. Vorphalack's slowly rasping out of "I'm refuging into the pentagram/Where I fear nobody/I dominate my enemies/I lead my friends" is one of the most evil sounding moments in music to my ears. It gives off the perfect atmosphere of supremacy and sublimity, not to mention trudging, gritty, yet triumphant black metal that compliments those lyrics perfectly.

Another album that captures that feeling of evil to me is Judas Iscariot's Distant In Solitary Night, which similarly delivers that feeling of total sovreignty and triumphant supremacy through unrelenting, gritty yet atmospheric black metal. The vocals on both these albums really play a huge role in creating that evil sound.

To those albums, I'd add a few that have already been mentioned, namely Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Transilvanian Hunger for similar reasons as the above. Lunar Aurora's Andacht hasn't been mentioned as far as I've read, though it gives off a bit of a different feeling of evil than the above albums. There are certain releases that convey something literally hellish, sadistic and satanic, not simply in their overall theme since so many bands do this, but in the music itself. This release is one of them.

While on the opposite end of the spectrum, Candlemass are certainly capable of delivering that same kind of feeling, though I'd say it tends to come in on certain songs rather than in entire albums. One song that particularly comes to mind is The Day and the Night.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:41 pm 

'Don't Break The Oath'.
When that came out I convinced that he was serious.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 pm 

I would have to go with The Oath of Black Blood or A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Both albums are maelstrom's of negative energy adn really give you amygdala a work out--this mixture of anger, desperation, hatred and hopelessness converges into a black hole from which nothing can escape--and by the end the listener welcomes the oblivion that will put an end to it all.

Also how come none of the people making fun of the way King Diamond looks are making fun of Rob Darken for not only also wearing corpsepaint, but dressing like he's going to a renaissance fair every time he has a photo op?

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:13 pm 

Evil is simply what you make it. To someone who listens to black metal constantly, Helloween could sound evil. There is no evil sound really, its up to the listener. With that said, anything from Disney = evil.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm 

Throwing Abruptum into this. The first album, the Evil EP and the song 'De Profundis Mors Vas Consumet'.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:32 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Lustmord-Rising is the most evil album ever. I mean just look at the recording circumstances.

The church of Satan isn't evil as such....But Lustmord is almost defintely the most reepy/eerie/evil sounds I've heard...

It's still the coolest album/band "gimmick" ever though.

Do you rate Lustmord higher than Nordvargr?

Yeah, I think Lustmord has more diverse releases, if such a thing could be said.

Northhaunt may be darker though....

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 pm 

Some could try harder. Sure some bands here are evil, but there is more evil. Sure it is a subjective thing, but I think we can pretty much all agree on a couple of ones, those which you can easily sense something about it. Xasthur evil? I can pretty much only sense a depressive sound as well as hypnotic. Maybe a hint but not that much.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:01 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Some could try harder. Sure some bands here are evil, but there is more evil. Sure it is a subjective thing, but I think we can pretty much all agree on a couple of ones, those which you can easily sense something about it. Xasthur evil? I can pretty much only sense a depressive sound as well as hypnotic. Maybe a hint but not that much.

I dunno, All Reflections Drained is very dissonant and claustrophobic. His other albums aren't so much.

I would have to say Lurker of Chalice, Paysage D'Hiver and Burial Chamber Trio have some of the most ominous sounds.

Jazqa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 pm 

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Horna - Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 pm 

Absolutely not one mention of any Bathory album yet in this thread?? Seriously??

For myself I have to say The Return, one of the few albums when I was younger it truly scared the crap out of me but awed and mystified me at the same time
Slayer Hell Awaits and Sodom's Obsessed by Cruelty are pretty high up for me, too

I can see why others would say Morbid Angel, but MA more awed me and had me bowing down to the greatness, more then scaring me..

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3