Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am 

I've recently been getting more into Meshuggah, I've heard Future Breed Machine, Chaosphere and obZen and very much enjoyed each of them, so I'm on the lookout for more Meshuggah atm. Their Nothing album looks good from the reviews on this site, but I've seen that there are two different versions available - the original from 2002 and a reissued version with re-recorded instrumentation from 2006. Obviously I'd like to buy the best version possible, so the question I'm asking is which version of Nothing do Meshuggah fans on here consider to be the best? Do you prefer the original recording or the 2006 version, and why do you like this version better? Is there even a notable difference between the recordings? Also the 2006 version comes with a DVD, is the DVD good enough to factor into the decision as well? Any answers would be appreciated :)

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 am 

Get the 2006 reissue. On the original recording, the drums are very high in the mix and drown out the guitars. Also, they used downtuned 7 strings on the original recording, which don't sound as deep as the 8 strings used on the reissue. Jen's voice is very harsh, but they've added some effects to the vocals to make them sound better. If I'm not mistaken, the Drumkit From Hell was used on the re-recording, but you can hardly tell the difference ;)

As for the DVD, can't help you out, as for some reason my copy doesn't work. What a rip. I'm sure it was a factory mishap, as I have a few CDs with skipping issues right out of the packaging.

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 am 

why don't you get both, they are not hard to find nor expensive, then you are set. If you get one now, you are just itching to get the other in a matter of time anyway.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:12 pm 

Cheers for the replies :) leaning towards getting the 2006 one atm I think. Sorry about your DVD Mateilkrist, it really sucks when you get delivered stuff that doesn't work. I think some of the stuff from it is on Youtube so been checking that out, worth a look if you want to see. It'd be nice to be able to get both but money's limited at the moment so I can't afford to buy two copies of the same album, unless there are drastic differences between them.

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:20 pm 

You're very welcome. Always a pleasure to discuss Meshuggah with someone interested. Believe me, I've gone on youtube and watched everything that was on it. You'll have more luck finding the reissue than the original, there's always at least one 2006 copy in my local music store.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 pm 

They have both of the different versions on Amazon so the availability isn't too much of a problem for me atm. My local music store has a tiny selection of metal records so got to rely on the internet for my headbanging fix lol :P but yeah Meshuggah is awesome, I'm more into death metal so its quite different from what I usually listen to, always good to have a bit of variety though :D

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm 

Meshuggah was one of the first metal bands I listened to. They helped me become interested in the genre and are still a favorite of mine today.

Good ol' Amazon.com. I've ordered from them on many occasions, as record stores do tend to have below average metal selections.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm 

Oh, thanks, guys. I was wondering this question for a while myself. I was thinking of the 2006 version since it's cheaper (no idea why) in my record store, and I preferred the record sleeve in a blue. Now my mind's made up.

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:56 pm 

Rerelease, no questions asked. It's so much better quality, mixed much better, and much heavier too. Oh, and not to mention the fact that Tomas's vocals on Spasm sound demon possessed :evil:

Get this.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

Saron_Gas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm 

Why not download them both, see which one you like best, and then buy that one? That way, you'll be certain you've made the right call on it.

Personally, I prefer the rerelease, like most people have said already.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 pm 

I bought the re-issue and later downloaded the original. I'm glad I spent money on the newer one. The 2002 version is just so...raw. I guess I'm spoiled with the newer one. I wish I was into Meshuggah when it was released, just to see if my opinion of it would be different.

Edit: That blue sleeve is pretty sweet. Yet another reason you can't go wrong with the new one.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.