Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ahnenerbe_Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:01 am 

theheinouskilling667 wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:
king_vortigern wrote:

Wrong.

I listen to and write my own DSBM, but I'm usually a very happy person. I use black metal to get out any of my negative emotions, it does not mean I'm usually a depressed person, I don't put on an act.

I don´t know any one from DSBM who killed themselves, maybe they also think like you?

Acidgoblin wrote:
for starters, we have Dead, Jon Nodveidt, Erik/grim (may you rape the angels)

miss them all...

I do, the band is called Happy Days.

Happy Days? Happy Days' newer stuff is really wonderful music, but whenever he does the spoken word crap, you can tell how fake his "depression" is. He's one of those people who put on an act, and his interviews make him seem like an absolute moron and a wannabe depressed teenager.

I like this band as well. Just picked up their new one.

Yazalde70
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:
Kurt Cobain is definitely worth a mention here.

He certainly is...He was a great shot!

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:36 pm 

Hircine wrote:
Kvarfoth bloody well needs to.

Seconded. Niklas ranks low on the list of people I've encountered, in recent years.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:24 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=8483

I wonder if he committed suicide or if the date is a coincidence.

Witchclan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:22 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
well black metal isnt exactly what happy people listen to/play

Wrong.

I listen to and write my own DSBM, but I'm usually a very happy person. I use black metal to get out any of my negative emotions, it does not mean I'm usually a depressed person, I don't put on an act.

I have to say that I personally agree with the above statement. My band Witchclan actually makes me happy because when I am writing new material and I hear the way the tracks are taking shape, I get a real buzz from it and it does give me a lift.
Of course when I am doing my vocals it vents a lot of aggression for me and the lyrical content may be seen as either depressive, destructive, violent or anti everything but I am still a fairly up beat person despite my personal views and opinions.
I think music should be something to get something out of and improve the way you feel etc etc, ie - if you're having a bad day then whack a bit of classic Impaled Nazarene or Dark Throne on and that'll sort you out. But let's face it - if it makes you depressed then what's the point in listening to it? I feel that a lot of the suicides are more down to personal beliefs and desires than anything particularly musical.

salmur323
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm 

Nattramn from Silencer has probably come close. He's clinically insane, at any rate. I don't know if anybody knows for sure if the pig trotter story is true...

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:54 am 

Witchclan wrote:
Dark Throne

Oh come on.

ChronoSphere666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:10 am 

Lagartija wrote:
You just don't get that in Florida...

Not true at all.
Facebook

Witchclan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
Dark Throne

Oh come on.

How do you mean? A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are awesome classic LPs, no?

LetTheReignBegin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:00 pm 

Witchclan wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
Dark Throne

Oh come on.

How do you mean? A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are awesome classic LPs, no?

They are, but what does this have to do with suicides in black metal?

Xim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Personally, whenever I'm depressed, I can't listen to happy or uplifting music, it feels like rubbing shit on my wounds.

Agreed. And that's a very good quote.

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:53 am 

salmur323 wrote:
Nattramn from Silencer has probably come close. He's clinically insane, at any rate. I don't know if anybody knows for sure if the pig trotter story is true...

Wrong, he's a very effective business man and market exec. Actually alot like Kvarforth (well he's better at it).

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:29 pm 

LetTheReignBegin wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
Dark Throne

Oh come on.

Maybe meant that the later Punkthrone stuff was a commercial Black Metal Suicide for old fans ;)

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:48 pm 

^
punkthrone is a pretty good name for a band :lol:
I don't agree with the commerial thing though, as what Darkthrone are doing these days probably lost them more fans than it gained and is actually highely uncommerial, being closer to crusts punk, it's not like Fenriz got some fringe bangs and is playing "post hardcore" music. I also think that the older albums (especially the trilogy) sell much more than the new stuff anyway.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:15 am 

ChronoSphere666 wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
You just don't get that in Florida...

Not true at all.

I guess, it was more of a joke really...

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:19 pm 

Really quick...

Does anyone know WHY Dead of Mayhem committed suicide? Was he just screwed up in the head or was he depressed? Any info is welcome.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:29 pm 

Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

Does anyone know WHY Dead of Mayhem committed suicide? Was he just screwed up in the head or was he depressed? Any info is welcome.

Depressed. He basically left behind his whole life in Sweden to join Mayhem. I'm sure there are many reasons, and he probably didn't share them with everyone else.

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:38 am 

Hearing stories like that really can drag one down. It's very sad that Dead and others had to leave this earth so soon.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:15 am 

ROFL.

this has been sigged.

no mention of that NME guy?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:22 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

Depressed. He basically left behind his whole life in Sweden to join Mayhem. I'm sure there are many reasons, and he probably didn't share them with everyone else.

Personally, I think he was bi-polar, but that is just my own speculation.

- Tim Minchin

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:30 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

I remember reading about his life philosphies, and if I remember correctly, he never felt like he was really alive (hence, Dead), and the felt that he wasn't even a part of this world. He could've been slightly psychotic, and he was probably heavily depressed.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

I remember reading about his life philosphies, and if I remember correctly, he never felt like he was really alive (hence, Dead), and the felt that he wasn't even a part of this world. He could've been slightly psychotic, and he was probably heavily depressed.

Yeah, I've read that also. What brings me to the above conclusion is his alleged wild mood swings. Going off of what I have read, he would mostly be very quiet and introverted person, but would be prone to intense outbursts and displays of anger. This doesn't specifically point to bipolar disorder, but he may have been. Nobody knows, but it's a very safe bet that he suffered some kind of mental illness. His fascination with death was probably a by-product of this illness, whatever it was.

- Tim Minchin

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:26 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

Yeah, I've read that also. What brings me to the above conclusion is his alleged wild mood swings. Going off of what I have read, he would mostly be very quiet and introverted person, but would be prone to intense outbursts and displays of anger. This doesn't specifically point to bipolar disorder, but he may have been. Nobody knows, but it's a very safe bet that he suffered some kind of mental illness. His fascination with death was probably a by-product of this illness, whatever it was.

Not trying to throw some disrespect to him but is there any proof that he actually had mental problems? Did they come from him?
It's easy enough for someone else to claim this, we all need money in the end.

tnythral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 pm 

DocNoc wrote:
salmur323 wrote:

Wrong, he's a very effective business man and market exec. Actually alot like Kvarforth (well he's better at it).

what the... afaik he is in a psychatric clinic, but this pig trotter story is not real, as far as you can even see it on the pictures

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 pm 

Cyrax666 wrote:
Not trying to throw some disrespect to him but is there any proof that he actually had mental problems? Did they come from him?
I'm no fanboy of Dead, but really, that's idiotic. He was a black metal vocalists, for fuck's sake.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:25 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

This all stems from a near death experience that Ohlin had as a child. I guess he had drowned and was dead for quite some time until they revived him. Ever since then, he felt like he never really was alive. Also, he had sleep apnea and would go for long periods of time without breathing.

Come to think of it. If he went for periods of time without oxygen going to his brain, that probably would've caused some brain damage.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:36 pm 

peterott wrote:
LetTheReignBegin wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Witchclan wrote:
Dark Throne

Oh come on.

Maybe meant that the later Punkthrone stuff was a commercial Black Metal Suicide for old fans ;)

I think it's pretty obvious that he was referring to the way it was spelled incorrectly as "Dark Throne" instead of "Darkthrone".

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:58 am 

tnythral wrote:
DocNoc wrote:
salmur323 wrote:

what the... afaik he is in a psychatric clinic, but this pig trotter story is not real, as far as you can even see it on the pictures

I don't think he was/is mate, unfortunately it would seem you've fallen for the gimmick.
I'm not really sure what the "pig trotter" story is, but you can go down to any butchers and ask for them. Nothing cult there.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:09 am 

There was a story about him cutting off his hands during the recording of Death - Pierce Me due to some picture of him holding pig trotters on bandaged hands or something. tnythral, would you like to provide one of those pictures you refer to?

I'm pretty sure most of the stories are fabricated and indeed rather ordinary in origin. You guys do remember Velvet Cacoon, don't you? Art created by the insane has always interested people, so it's a pretty good gimmick.

salmur323
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:21 pm 

DocNoc wrote:
salmur323 wrote:

:O How did you find that out? I didn't think anybody knew for sure.

Acidgoblin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:00 pm 

I've been very skeptikal re: Nattrman for a long time. Smell of pig sht anyone?

Apocalyptic_City
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 am 

I believe Kanwulf committed suicide.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 am 

Apocalyptic_City wrote:

Kanwulf is still alive and Nargaroth is still active.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:48 am 

Cyrax666 wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Really quick...

Uhm.. Maybe the fact that he carved his arms to pieces with a dull knife then shot himself?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:11 am 

Apocalyptic_City wrote:

No,that's just what most haters wish of him. He is very much still active with Nargaroth and that new album is already out. It's not like if a guy doesn't put out an album evey single year that he has offed himself. That type of music is not exactly a style that you can dedicate your whole career too. I'm sure the dude works a real job. Kanwulf also likes to travel on his chopper so I don't even think his writing is top priority.

TheBlackCircus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 am 

Terje "Valfar" Bakken (R.I.P. January 14, 2004)

looseygoosey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 am 

Nadrach from Finish band Nidhoggr committed suicide in 1998, not before releasing a pretty decent demo though.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:23 am 

TheBlackCircus wrote:
Terje "Valfar" Bakken (R.I.P. January 14, 2004)
Not a suicide. He died of hypothermia in a snow storm.

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:47 am 

salmur323 wrote:
DocNoc wrote:
salmur323 wrote:

:O How did you find that out? I didn't think anybody knew for sure.

To paraphrase Blackadder "By using that large thing between my ears"
If you take an objective look at these "psychos" you would see that they are nothing more than cheap gimmicks design to hoodwink and sell records to gullible teenagers (and some adults =x)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2