Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:11 pm 

bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:
Blast beats are death metal candy. Indulgent and tasty at first but when they're over done, you end up fat and boring.

On another note, I second the pizza hails.

I've never heard a overdone blastbeat

What ther hell does "overdone" even mean in the context of music? It seems like some blanket criticism to throw out when you don't have anything else to say.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:
Blast beats are death metal candy. Indulgent and tasty at first but when they're over done, you end up fat and boring.

What ther hell does "overdone" even mean in the context of music? It seems like some blanket criticism to throw out when you don't have anything else to say.

I assume the assumption means "way too much". My assumptions may or may not be assumed correctly, depending on the assumed assumptions of others.

leavethehall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:

I assume the assumption means "way too much". My assumptions may or may not be assumed correctly, depending on the assumed assumptions of others.

You have assumed correctly, and in doing so, have made an ass out of neither you nor me!

Maybe "overused" would have been more appropriate. if a drummer does nothing but blast-beat his way through a song then it ceases to sound brutal, and simply begins to sound like an unholy typewriter clicking away in the background.

And rest assured, Empyreal, I always have more to say. :)

bsm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm 

leavethehall wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:

You have assumed correctly, and in doing so, have made an ass out of neither you nor me!

Maybe "overused" would have been more appropriate. if a drummer does nothing but blast-beat his way through a song then it ceases to sound brutal, and simply begins to sound like an unholy typewriter clicking away in the background.

Well I guess I dont listen to bands that suck and actually blast a whole song non-stop.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
I can't imagine Nile without "overused" blasts, to be honest. Tell me, what the fuck would you expect brutal dm bands to use instead of blast beats?

I think it depends on the band, really. I do think a lot of bands overuse blast beats as a way for compensating for bland music. Like just make it as "br00tal" as possible, and people will lap it up. Nile are a band who use a lot of blast beats, but their music is fun and interesting to listen to, which makes the blasts like just a neat addition to what they do. Behemoth too, I really love them, even though they use loads of blasts in the their stuff. Mortician are a good example of a band using blasts just for being "br00tal's" sake. Likewise, the blasts in Hate Eternal's stuff, at least the stuff Ive heard, just makes the music sound like an indecipherable mess. Though that could have to do with the production, rather than the music itself, Im not sure.

leavethehall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:30 pm 

bsm wrote:
Well I guess I dont listen to bands that suck and actually blast a whole song non-stop.

I'm sure your mother's very proud.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:37 pm 

Blast beats in a lot of more modern albums annoy me because:

1) over produced, and crappily triggered
and
2) the band depends on the drums being the main aggressive, pushing force instead of the guitars

edit: the two usually go hand in hand, even if they aren't intentional (over produced drums can make the drums sound like the pushing force even if it wasn't intentional)

Last edited by RegularK on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 pm 

bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:

So are Nile and Suicide Silence the most brutal things you've ever heard?

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:04 pm 

I think what bsm means is he's never actually come across the kinds of bands that some of the posters in this thread are claiming are so common, the kind that exclusively blastbeat their way through every song.

I do agree blasts can be a bit overused, but, really, it's about the music overall and how it interacts with the drumming. If you can't imagine a better beat than a blastbeat to go under the riffs but the song still sounds boring and lifeless, then maybe it's not an overuse of blastbeats, but rather general shitty songwriting that's the problem.

AngelicStorm wrote:
I think it depends on the band, really. I do think a lot of bands overuse blast beats as a way for compensating for bland music. Like just make it as "br00tal" as possible, and people will lap it up.

So basically, what she said.

RegularK wrote:
Blast beats in a lot of more modern albums annoy me because:

1) over produced, and crappily triggered
and
2) the band depends on the drums being the main aggressive, pushing force instead of the guitars

And his doesn't help either. Blastbeats need a really strong drum sound and should ideally be supporting riffs that are already heavy and aggressive on their own.

bsm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
bsm wrote:
leavethehall wrote:

So are Nile and Suicide Silence the most brutal things you've ever heard?

Wow, I guess if suicide silence is in your vocab I dont need to say anymore

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 am 

bsm wrote:

What the hell...

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 am 

Blast beats are just another technique, they are not inherently good or bad. I hear the same sort of criticism directed at breakdowns.

rottenlimbs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 pm 

Different styles of music use blast beats differently. Try out some different types of music (dare I say, on a metal board, check out some late 90s screamo for awesome use of blasts?) if you're bored of the blasts you are hearing.

bsm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
bsm wrote:

What the hell...

wow again

alexlovestheredchord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 pm 

bsm wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
bsm wrote:

What the hell...

wow again

he's too elite to talk to you if you listen to Suicide Silence go run into a corner and cry.
Not that Nile are much better..

bsm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am 

alexlovestheredchord wrote:
bsm wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
bsm wrote:

What the hell...

wow again

he's too elite to talk to you if you listen to Suicide Silence go run into a corner and cry.

your names says it all, Thanks for calling me elite because I hate deathcore bands becuase I dont know 1 deathcore band that is even good let alone me liking them, fag. & yes Karl, George & Dallas Slays your kiddiecore bands

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 pm 

the real problem is that bands go, OH LETS USE BLASTING HERE TOO LIKE EVERY OTHER BAND.

its really a annoying fad in modern extreme metal drumming.

alexlovestheredchord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:45 pm 

bsm wrote:
alexlovestheredchord wrote:
bsm wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
bsm wrote:

What the hell...

wow again

your names says it all, Thanks for calling me elite because I hate deathcore bands because I dont know 1 deathcore band that is even good let alone me liking them, fag. & yes Karl, George & Dallas Slays your kiddiecore bands

your not elite though, and you like a band that is sucks and hasn't done anything even remotely worthwhile since 98.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3