Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 pm 

Someone on the 2010-2019 thread suggested this thread, and since I don't see one being made yet I guess I'll start it.

What will you remember this decade as in terms of metal (the good, bad and ugly parts)?

And to the older forum members, do you remember having any expectations back in the late 90s for metal that were met in this decade?

For me the first decade of the 21st century will be when:
Carcass reformed.
Chuck Schuldiner, Piggy, Chris Witchhunter, Vitek and Dimebag Darrel all passed away.
Aborted and Exhumed released two of my favorite albums of all time.
Aborted managed to screw up their 6th release big time.
Exhumed dissolved.
Psychoanalysis and Scordatura were formed.
Metallica managed to crush many of their fans' hopes of returning to their roots (though to be honest, why are people still hoping?)
A bad excuse of a thrash revival was started.
Varg Vikerness was released from prison.
Cannibal Corpse released a documentary DVD.
Iron Maiden became Iron Maiden again.
A metal (I use that term loosely) band managed to win the Eurovision song contest.
The Duskfall formed and broke up.
Behemoth turned death metal.
Deathcore and Metalcore was born.
Deathcore and Metalcore died... kinda.
Nu Metal died.

The_Juggernaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm 

What about Halford rejoining Priest?

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm 

Thrash died in the mid 90s and came back in 00 - 09.

Many Thrash veterans realesed good albums again (Destruction, Kreator...)

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:33 pm 

Senmuth appeared out of nowhere this decade. There also seems to be a rise in bands trying to be progressive and/or avant-garde lately. Many of 'em just popping up suddenly. I think it can be attributed to Arcturus and Sigh gaining large fanbases in recent years.
Hehe, foreskins.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 pm 

Manilla Road reformed, and still kick ass!

Thrashencorpse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm 

Viking metal suddenly boomed in the early 2000's, and I remember thousands of bands popping up out of nowhere.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:40 pm 

This sort of got me thinking. There hasn't been a band formed in the 21st century that I've really loved. All the releases I've enjoyed were made by established bands which formed earlier than 2000. I don't want to sound too pessimistic but it's the truth. Maybe it's my fault, not exploring enough but I just don't want to put in the effort anymore. I have explored a lot of new bands and they either haven't lived up to the hype or been haven't held my interest. Equilibrium and Hibria might be the only two post-2000 bands I can say I really like, though Hibria formed in 1996. Don't get me wrong, there have been some fantastic releases which I love: Summoning released 2 masterpieces, and awesome stuff like Absu's Tara, Slough Feg's Down Among The Deadmen, and fantastic stuff from Bolt Thrower, Sauron and Ensiferum, Skepticism, The Chasm, Manilla Road, Destroyer 666, Immortal, Candlamss, Arghoslent and Jag Panzer. Maiden and Priest are still going reasonably strong. These are all well established bands. I see it as a positive thing that these old farts can still deliver the goods. So instead of moaning about new bands I'll remember 2000-2009 for these bands for keeping the metal flame in me burning!

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:46 pm 

Metalcore was born earlier than that.

It's good to know that deathcore is already dead, though. If that is indeed the case.

- Raw Black Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:48 pm 

Callum_Carcass wrote:

Who?

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:12 pm 

I got into metal, lol

For real:

Count Raven reformed
Lordi won the Eurovision
Metal Archives was formed

EDIT: I saw the guy mentioned the band who won the Eurovision.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22 pm 

Noteworthy bands formed in 2000s (not based on whether or not I like them): Om, Municipal Waste, Skeletonwitch, Peste Noire, Amesoeurs, Bone Awl, Decrepit Birth, Drudkh, Nachtmystium, Pelican, Lair of the Minotaur, Jesu, Tomahawk, Lurker of Challice, Krallice, Wolves in the Thone Room, Ghoul, Gallhammer, Deathhammer, Dishammer, Evil Army, Hammerwhore, Warbringer, Evile, Probot, Alcest, Acid Witch, Vacant Coffin, Revolting, Decrepitaph, Alestorm, Cavalera Conspiracy, Gama Bomb, Jaldaboath, Kill the Client, Kingdom of Sorrow, Misery Index,

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm 

- My taste in music evolved away from shit music. (Linkin Park and Scooter were my favorite bands, heh)
- The local scene boomed.
- Miezko of Nasum died, forcing the band to quit. :(

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:36 pm 

Heaven and Hell formed
Metal Church quits
Gorgoroth mitosis
Darkthrone becomes metalpunk
Repulsion tours
Celtic Frost, Possessed, Atheist, Cynic, Beherit reform

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Callum_Carcass wrote:

Who?

Two local bands I love. They'll be big in a few years time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:47 pm 

We got a great mini-wave of dark Power Metal bands in these 9 years that I quite enjoy, featuring bands like Morgana Lefay, who spearheaded the whole deal in the early 90s, Tad Morose, Angel Dust, Dark at Dawn, Black Destiny, Her Whisper and most of the other bands that I like to talk about that nobody else seems to know/like. Would have been killer if the sound caught on more.

Angry_Malmsteen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 pm 

'00-'09 was the period when I really explored metal. I think the last 9 have brought more diversity and cross-genre bands to the table. The number of bands today far outnumber the bands of yesterday which has been a good/bad relationship. Good, being there are more bands to check out. The bad? There are more bands to check out. This has led to bigger and more diversity gene pool of metal, but also increases the ratio of shitty/awesome bands. Technology has also played a key role. people look back and remember the way they found their music; the internet. This site alone has done a wondeful service alone, others like myspace, internet radio, and countless other online sources have supercharged metal's evolution.

The following bands will be remembered in high regards: The Chasm, older Vital Remains, Down, Om, High on Fire, Wintersun, Agalloch, Skepticism, Nile, Scythe(ger), Behemoth, Incantation,

aveks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 pm 

Repulsion and Terrorizer also reformed.

Pretty much every defining first wave grind band has reformed this decade?

YogSothothe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm 

Discovered something really strange. Death and Thrash Metal.

Mystlyfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm 

Callum_Carcass wrote:

Converge, Zao, Rorscach, Starkweather, Cave In, Integrity, Unearth, Darkest Hour, Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, Coalesce, Overcast, and many more were around in 1990s.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:23 pm 

Post rock and ambient music influences bands like Isis and Pelican to create a sort of "post metal" style of music, earning raves from non-metal-centric critics, for better or worse.

alreadytaken4536
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 pm 

Just in case anyone's curious, this guy has a bunch of lists of the top 25 metal albums of x year for the 2000s.

http://rateyourmusic.com/~tzimisce

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:43 pm 

awm wrote:
Noteworthy bands formed in 2000s (not based on whether or not I like them): Om, Municipal Waste, Skeletonwitch, Peste Noire, Amesoeurs, Bone Awl, Decrepit Birth, Drudkh, Nachtmystium, Pelican, Lair of the Minotaur, Jesu, Tomahawk, Lurker of Challice, Krallice, Wolves in the Thone Room, Ghoul, Gallhammer, Deathhammer, Dishammer, Evil Army, Hammerwhore, Warbringer, Evile, Probot, Alcest, Acid Witch, Vacant Coffin, Revolting, Decrepitaph, Alestorm, Cavalera Conspiracy, Gama Bomb, Jaldaboath, Kill the Client, Kingdom of Sorrow, Misery Index,

I agree with the bulk of this, although some acts are too derivative to belong (Gama Bomb) and others have yet to really prove themselves (Acid Witch).

The things I will remember from this decade?

Esoteric / "orthodox" black metal: Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Hail

Drone(y) metal really coming into it's own with a number of releases from Sunn, Boris and bands inspired by them, as well as Nadja and jesu and the bands I suspect they have yet to inspire.

The tech-death explosion, thanks in no small part to Willowtip.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:48 pm 

Mystlyfe wrote:
Callum_Carcass wrote:

Converge, Zao, Rorscach, Starkweather, Cave In, Integrity, Unearth, Darkest Hour, Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, Coalesce, Overcast, and many more were around in 1990s.

And that's the short list. Bands like Morning Again, Shai Hulud, Deadguy and One King Down were pretty legendary in the late 90's even though they weren't exactly ancient. Around '98, '99 bands like Poison the Well and Eighteen Visions were considered "new stuff" by comparison, all before the 2000s.

The first Integrity release came out in 1988, apparently.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:57 pm 

Folk metal, Post-metal (Isis, Pelican, later Agalloch) also Celtic Frost reforming..... and breaking up again. Also I'd add Mastodon to the noteworthy bands list.

MarkLikesMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:00 pm 

Wintersun released their highly-acclaimed as well as highly-hated self-titled album, and claim they are working on Time right now.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
awm wrote:

I agree with the bulk of this, although some acts are too derivative to belong (Gama Bomb) and others have yet to really prove themselves (Acid Witch).

The things I will remember from this decade?

Esoteric / "orthodox" black metal: Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Hail

Drone(y) metal really coming into it's own with a number of releases from Sunn, Boris and bands inspired by them, as well as Nadja and jesu and the bands I suspect they have yet to inspire.

The tech-death explosion, thanks in no small part to Willowtip.

Yea I've really only heard about Acid Witch and the other Razorback bands recently but there's been a fair amount of clamoring on different sites. I basically looked up bands that I thought might have formed recently and that I've at least heard mentioned a lot of times. So whether they're noteworthy or potentially noteworthy if they're more recent will depend on whether or not they stand the test of time. A lot of those bands I definitely do not like and agree that they're derivative. But that the same time, bands like The Strokes are probably considered noteworthy in 90s rock and there are no original ideas there. Feel free to add/ criticize the list.

My favorite bands on it are Om and Peste Noire.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:04 pm 

MortalScum wrote:
Folk metal, Post-metal (Isis, Pelican, later Agalloch) also Celtic Frost reforming..... and breaking up again. Also I'd add Mastodon to the noteworthy bands list.

Isis, Mastodon and Agalloch did not form in the 2000s. If you're talking about noteworthy releases then yeah. I'm not up for making a list that large, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:04 pm 

MarkLikesMetal wrote:
Wintersun released their highly-acclaimed as well as highly-hated self-titled album, and claim they are working on Time right now.

But we all know what they're really doing. They're out playing Pinball.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:35 pm 

Man Must Die formed!

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 pm 

I think this will prove to have been a significant album:

It was much discussed when it was released but seems to have been forgotten since then. It's still an excellent slab of progressive metal. Doesn't ape any other bands. They're doing their own thing and they did it will. I know the second album is supposed to be a drastic departure but I haven't listened to it.

Also, Into Eternity's third album, Buried in Oblivion, is no doubt a future classic. They definitely brought their sound to the next level on that album.

I don't expect legions of bands to latch onto these two and mimic them. In fact I very much hope that doesn't happen. Isn't it enough to have these bands? Do we really need another 100 trying to copy them? Hopefully a few young musicians will hear this music and attempt to create something better and different.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 pm 

The_Juggernaught wrote:
What about Halford rejoining Priest?

This.

Plus, 20-30 years into their career, Saxon released several of the most arse-kicking heavy metal albums by any band of any era.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm 

I discovered real metal in 2007.
One year later thrash clicked with me and became my favorite genre.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 pm 

awm wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

Isis, Mastodon and Agalloch did not form in the 2000s. If you're talking about noteworthy releases then yeah. I'm not up for making a list that large, though.

I'd still count them since all their releases (even their first demo) came out between 2000 and now.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:23 pm 

schwuppe wrote:
Thrash died in the mid 90s and came back in 00 - 09.

Many Thrash veterans realesed good albums again (Destruction, Kreator...)

I know. "Hordes of Chaos" was awesome! I hope Slayer will be an addition to the list, although I can't say "Hate Worldwide" is helping them at all. They sound all retro in that song. "Psychopathy Red" on the other hand, is awesome.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:56 pm 

Salvation, Fas..., Sworn to the Dark were released. Good enough for me.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:55 pm 

I am convinced that I would like Sworn to the Dark if it wasn't way too long.

Legions of the Black Light's chorus has been stuck in my head on numerous occasions. Though today it's been replaced by Saddhu Satana

Sintintoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:03 am 

For me personally I'll remember that Deicide came to Detroit for the first time in almost a decade, so I got to see them for the first time.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 am 

Napalm Death released their best albums since the original Scum/FETOB days.

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 am 

Callum_Carcass wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner, Piggy, Chris Witchhunter, Vitek and Dimebag Darrel all passed away.

Paul Baloff.

JohnnyRebel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 am 

speedemon86 wrote:
Callum_Carcass wrote:

Paul Baloff.
Amen, man.

Iron Maiden is a big one too for bands showing their real side again.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next