Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 am 

speedemon86 wrote:
Callum_Carcass wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner, Piggy, Chris Witchhunter, Vitek and Dimebag Darrel all passed away.

Paul Baloff.

Quorthon

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 am 

Something about Von turning into a corporation.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 am 

It's hard to say when the time period isn't over yet and it's hard to say what I'll think of this stuff in the future. Right now the things that I imagine will mostly stick with me is the rise and fall of Axis of Advance, Summoning releasing two monstrous albums and the sheer amount of quality death metal releases during these ten years.

Expedience wrote:
This sort of got me thinking. There hasn't been a band formed in the 21st century that I've really loved. All the releases I've enjoyed were made by established bands which formed earlier than 2000. I don't want to sound too pessimistic but it's the truth. Maybe it's my fault, not exploring enough but I just don't want to put in the effort anymore. I have explored a lot of new bands and they either haven't lived up to the hype or been haven't held my interest. Equilibrium and Hibria might be the only two post-2000 bands I can say I really like, though Hibria formed in 1996.

These kinds of statements made before the time period in question is even over yet are always rather silly. I mean, a lot of bands that were formed during the current decade haven't gotten around to even recording anything yet. Completely new bands usually take at least a couple of years before they get a demo out, let alone get around to releasing their debut or reaching their creative peak and their own style. One example I could name is Ulcerate. They formed in 2000, first demo out in 2003, first album in 2007 that no one really paid that much attention to and for a reason. Hit their stride with the latest released this year.

Quote:
Iron Maiden became Iron Maiden again.

This happened in 1999 already so not of this decade.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:36 am 

MacMoney wrote:

These kinds of statements made before the time period in question is even over yet are always rather silly. I mean, a lot of bands that were formed during the current decade haven't gotten around to even recording anything yet. Completely new bands usually take at least a couple of years before they get a demo out, let alone get around to releasing their debut or reaching their creative peak and their own style. One example I could name is Ulcerate. They formed in 2000, first demo out in 2003, first album in 2007 that no one really paid that much attention to and for a reason. Hit their stride with the latest released this year.

Good point, I didn't think about that!

Quote:
Iron Maiden became Iron Maiden again.

This happened in 1999 already so not of this decade.[/quote]

He might have been referring to Dance of Death.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:45 am 

Drudkh destroyed just about every BM band to date with their releases.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
speedemon86 wrote:
Callum_Carcass wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner, Piggy, Chris Witchhunter, Vitek and Dimebag Darrel all passed away.

Paul Baloff.

Quorthon

Ben Marlin.

aveks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 pm 

Mezentus wrote:
Drudkh destroyed just about every BM band to date with their releases.

By releasing a few good albums and a handful of mediocre ones?

Hardly.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm 

What's the good black metal album that Drudkh released? I heard one and it was like...eh...

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm 

I agree with Mezentus. By not releasing Forgotten Legends or Autumn Arora six times, Drudkh has proven themselves to be one of the most creative black metal bands of this decade. I enjoyed Blood in the Wells and Estrangement, and although I still need to listen to it more I think I like Microcosmos as well.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
I agree with Mezentus. By not releasing Forgotten Legends or Autumn Arora six times, Drudkh has proven themselves to be one of the most creative black metal bands of this decade. I enjoyed Blood in the Wells and Estrangement, and although I still need to listen to it more I think I like Microcosmos as well.

Kudos to you, friend. That's exactly what I was getting at.
AAAAND they also put out a folk record between all of those.
They really have destroyed BM bands with their immense creativity and constant solid releases.

Bob_Deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 am 

The "hipster metal" movement also happened with bands like The Sword, ect. Black metal bands "evolved" and became popular and accepted more mainstream recognition. I remember the day I was in a record store and Dimmu Borgir had an article in Rolling Stone, I think it was 2003 or 04, I couldn't believe what I saw. Children of Bodom got huge this decade as well. They didn't release anything as bad ass as Hatebreeder though. "Shredding" got sort of popular again as well. Also, "shredding" on drums is everywhere and almost equivalent to guitar wanking.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:24 am 

This speed/fok band formed, released a minimal amount of work, and then disbanded. The best always die so young. :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx897Ein ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4f3T_B0 ... re=related

Other then that I am sure I am going to remember Nightly Gale's "Imprint" for quite a long time, among others. (Hard to remember them all amid all these classic older stuff I have been discovering. :p)

aveks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:40 am 

Byrain wrote:
This speed/fok band formed, released a minimal amount of work, and then disbanded. The best always die so young. :|

The "best" didn't die soon enough. Band is a fucking atrocity.

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 am 

doom_monger wrote:
Also, Into Eternity's third album, Buried in Oblivion, is no doubt a future classic. They definitely brought their sound to the next level on that album.

Agreed. Into Eternity is awesome, and that album definitely shows they have carved out a good niche for themselves.

Thanks for the tip on Disillusion, I'll have to check them out.

Oh, and metalcore isn't dead folks, not by a long-shot. There are still plenty of bands playing the style and releasing (what I believe are) quality records. Just because it's not in your face in the mainstream like it was 2 years ago doesn't mean it's gone. Just like thrash metal - it retreats a bit and remains popular w/ the fans who are actually into the music, not just those who enjoy it "while it lasts" like a lot of trendoid metal fans in the late 80s.

getupandkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 pm 

Down releases a much anticipated 2nd album
The breakup of Pantera
The murder of Dimebag

da_dragon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 pm 

A new cynic album
-the slow death of the doom/death movement;
-the folk/world music infusion started in metal
bands like Negura Bunget, Sigh, Agalloch, Rotting Christ etc etc...were pushing the genres limits
-The post-rock explosion; and the post- metal;

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2