Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16 pm 

RegularK wrote:
Cannibal Corpse is an interesting subject. They have played relatively the same style of music for their whole career, yet they depend on it to maintain their life style. They all live off of their music.

That's crap though, there's a CLEAR difference between the first two albums and the last two. Cannibal Corpse doesn't drastically change between their albums, but Pat O'Brien's growing presence has definitely made a noticeable impact.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16 pm 

The irony in this thread- Watain's own third album was a massive departure from the vision of their demo and first two albums.

LOL POSER.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
RegularK wrote:
Cannibal Corpse is an interesting subject. They have played relatively the same style of music for their whole career, yet they depend on it to maintain their life style. They all live off of their music.

That's crap though, there's a CLEAR difference between the first two albums and the last two. Cannibal Corpse doesn't drastically change between their albums, but Pat O'Brien's growing presence has definitely made a noticeable impact.

Come on since Corpsegrinder joined they've essentially released Vile seven times.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:23 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Sokaris wrote:
RegularK wrote:

Come on since Corpsegrinder joined they've essentially released Vile seven times.

I can't agree, I'd say the middle period material is quite different than the last few. Any two consecutive Corpse albums are pretty alike, but I can't imagine considering Vile and Kill the same album.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
What if a band's vision for their genre encompasses a wide scope of sounds that don't necessarily fit together on one album? A change in sound does not necessarily imply a change in vision.

You reminded me of Ayreon there. On The Human Equation, Arjen really emphasized the warm, folky, emotional side of his music, while on 01011001, everything was more cold, synthetic, and spacey. The albums still sounded sort of similar, and you could tell they were the product of the same artist.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26 pm 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
And wouldn't you know it, Watain's music is still really boring.

Yeah.

matrixmetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:46 am 

Can you imagine a world where any band wrote over and over and over again 10 times the same record??? What a boring world of music that would be --- without imagination and no artistic growth!!!

Come on. Metal keeps evolving because metal is a real, authentic music genre which is ALIVE, not DEAD, even though most of the bands I like focus on the topic of death that is not to say they are too dead to make albums of creative explorations.

The world would really suck more if Schuldiner put out Scream Bloody Gore 7 bloody times.

PennyDreadful
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:03 am 

I don't think inconsistencies is a bad thing... I do prefer black metal, and there are a few classic black metal albums that I absolutely have thrashed. But I suppose, being an open-minded person, I tend to enjoy the direction that a lot of my favorite bands have decided to go for. Changes in direction is a positive and healthy thing. No one likes stagnant, uninspiring albums.

I believe Cannibal Corpse are a prime example of repetition. Although their music has changed slightly over the years, they still maintain the same sound and atmosphere. They haven't really branched off much, which is mostly why I can't stand anything after 'The Bleeding'.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:33 am 

I really believe that consistency lies in what you as the musician is trying to accomplish aesthetically. If you've always tried to make the most "brutal and extreme" thing out there but have changed the way you go about it every now and then, then you've really not had much variation. Inconsistencies lie in bands like Darkthrone, where one album may attempt to create a trance-like while another will try to create an "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Even though they may sound similar, what the artist is trying to pursue has been changed, creating an inconsistency.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 am 

I think the thread title should be reworded, because consistency as I see it used in a musical context, more often implies "consistent quality" than "the same style".
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2