Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 pm 

This...may seem like an odd question- given Metal is now, probably more than ever, in the grip of the downloading frenzy, and that it is so ridiculously easy. However, I still want to know. So, have any of you(once upon a time) bought an album, either brand new/second hand/traded whatever, just specifically for one song only?

I myself am guilty of such a thing, as I only purchased Iron Maiden- No Prayer For The Dying just for the track Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter :grin: the rest of the album really didn't do much for me, but that song I believed was worth the ticket price alone. Yes, it does seem odd and weird, but has anyone else done something like this?

My collection

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 pm 

I honestly have a hard time remembering song titles at first as I tend to only listen to albums instead of individual songs. When I was first getting into music and listened to nu-metal, I did, but as my tastes expanded I found that listening to only a few songs seemed to be a waste. Not to say I don't have favorite songs or that a song will hook me onto an album, but if I buy an album, I want to like it as a whole.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 pm 

Which is fair enough. like I said, maybe it is just me(and my own brand of Metal retardation), or obviously completists, who will find redeeming things on all albums.

My collection

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:30 pm 

Oh, I'm not judging. Enjoy music however you like. I wasn't trying to imply that enjoying single songs was wrong, I was just explaining how I gained my current attitude to enjoying music.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 pm 

I have sometimes bought albums based on only hearing one song off of it, though I always hoped that I would like the rest of the material as well. I've never really bought an album knowing that I'd only like one song on it... not that I can recall anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just haven't done it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 pm 

^ yes I have most certainly done this also, which is usually a good introduction to a band you have never heard or unfamiliar with. I also have many an album where there may only be 2 or 3 decent songs on it, but am reluctant to be rid of it, just for those tracks.

NotGlib wrote:
Oh, I'm not judging. Enjoy music however you like. I wasn't trying to imply that enjoying single songs was wrong, I was just explaining how I gained my current attitude to enjoying music.

Relax, I was not offended in any way :wink:

My collection

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 pm 

I do this on a pretty regular basis. In fact, I sometimes have a habit of buying things that i've only heard word of mouth about. Thankfully I don't buy horrible albums that often...

What I really don't like is when you buy an album based on one song and it turns out to be one of the only songs that you like. Hellbent for Leather/Killing Machine comes to mind. I love "Hellbent for Leather" but the other songs aren't as good in comparison...

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 pm 

Messiah-hymn to abramalin first press black cover 150$ in 1988 for the song Empire of the damned .
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 am 

Dio- Dream Evil just for The title track. And then I heard 'All the Fools Sailed Away'. I'm very glad I bought that album.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
What I really don't like is when you buy an album based on one song and it turns out to be one of the only songs that you like. Hellbent for Leather/Killing Machine comes to mind. I love "Hellbent for Leather" but the other songs aren't as good in comparison...

Or the more extreme example: The Duke Nukem Theme on Risk.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:32 am 

It's funny that the OP mentions Maiden, as I bought Fear of the Dark for the title track alone, and I plan on buying Dance of Death for Paschendale. If I do this though, I usually find at least one or two other songs I like off the album. Be Quick or Be Dead and Afraid to Shoot Strangers, for example.

I've also bought a lot of stuff based on hearing one track, and sometimes buy blindly and listen to one track for a long time... but again, I usually end up liking a lot more of the album.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 am 

Usually I tend to listen to the whole album but yeah sometimes theres some really terrible albums where only one song stand out as being decent.. Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy" for instance has "Dirty Women" which is a cool song and the rest is way below average.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:41 am 

I bought Cowboys from Hell just for the song Domination and, well... it didn't pay off. :puke:

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm 

MMM88 wrote:
Usually I tend to listen to the whole album but yeah sometimes theres some really terrible albums where only one song stand out as being decent.. Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy" for instance has "Dirty Women" which is a cool song and the rest is way below average.

:grumble:
Love that album.

MBeroose
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 pm 

I bought Heavy Rocks by Boris because I thought Heavy Friends was a badass song. I also expected the whole CD to be similar, but it....really wasn't. I admire what Boris does, but outside of Heavy Friends, it's really not my thing.

Still, Heavy Friends is a fantastic, fuzzy, huge sounding song, and I'll always love it.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm 

Not really anything I bought but I was close to buying Van Halens debut LP just for Ain't Talkin' Bout Love.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:48 pm 

i dont have enough income to do this

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:45 pm 

Well, I bought Golem's Dreamweaver only for the cover of Stravinsky "Le Sacre du Printemps". However, it turned to be an excellent album overall.

Aside from this, I have never done a such thing, because:
tomcat_ha wrote:
i dont have enough income to do this

Which is also the main reason why I stopped from blind-purchasing.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:47 pm 

I admit that I bought Rust in Peace for the song "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due." I enjoy all the songs on the album except for "Dawn Patrol," so it was a good purchase.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.