Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 161894
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 am 

Hail!
I'm asking here about wholesale. Do you prefer it? I think it's great! Distros, labels, mailorders... They can "change" their releases and so.

Then... Who does wholesale really work? Cheaper price and then the buyer can take the original price and wins with selling it? Or how?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am 

It just depends on the stock at any given time on average. Some prefer consignment. Hellsheadbangers doesn't have the largest selection of distros but they get good quality releases in piecemeal and they're fast too.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:40 pm 

Wholesale allows a label to unload many copies very quickly. When you have 100-1000 copies of a CD, LP, 7'', or cassette you want to get rid of them as quickly as possible to make room and finance a future release, so wholesale allows you to sell them at a cheaper price while unloading more copies at once. Say a CD sells for $7-10, you can wholesale it for $5-8 easily, and still make enough on the wholesale copies to cover the pressing costs.

Personally, I don't mind wholesale. I rarely have the money to take more than a single copy of a release through mailorder, though because I am releasing my first tape release and want to get some items for distro I have considered getting a few tape releases from other labels I'm currently enjoying quite a bit through trade or wholesale prices. As for selling standpoint, I'd be glad to sell things at wholesale prices, it unloads copies faster and gives more money to fund future releases. I know Nuclear War Now! has had some exclusives for wholesale like different color for LP than one sold at retail.

~Guest 161894
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 pm 

I have found some releases from Finnish distros and other distros don't have it... Because band does wholesale only for that one label... O_o

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.