Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:14 pm 

I rarely get shivers down my spine. However, when I get them, then it's during ''emotional'' sections/songs that really grab me. Some that do:

Katatonia - Gateways of Bereavement

This, to me is a very sad song and the ending sounds so unbelievable powerful when the singer screams ''I love you!'', one may think he was really crying. His emotional over the top delivered vocals really hit me.

Wintersun- Sadness and Hate

The clean section gave me chills a few times and I don't even know why. As far as I know, I never liked the song that much.

Iced Earth - A Question of Heaven

The ending sounds just..I can't explain. Matt's insane vocals combined by those angelic female vocals create a wicked sound.

Post your ''shivers down my spine'' moments, but no listing without explaining!

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:17 pm 

Born in a Mourning Hall by Blind Guardian.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:26 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I rarely get shivers down my spine. However, when I get them, then it's during ''emotional'' sections/songs that really grab me. Some that do:

Katatonia - Gateways of Bereavement

This, to me is a very sad song and the ending sounds so unbelievable powerful when the singer screams ''I love you!'', one may think he was really crying. His emotional over the top delivered vocals really hit me.

I actually prefer the ending of Tomb of Insomnia. Imo, the melody sounds far more haunting and unforgettable. I believe this is the strongest moment on the album and an absolutely superb way to cap off a great song.

Notable mentions also goes to Assorted Heap's What I Confess. The solo contained in the song is so beautiful, soaring and sad, I couldn't believe it came from a Death/Thrash band. Truly powerful stuff.

And for other posters, explain dammit! I'm as much interested in seeing why as the OP himself.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:32 pm 

The entirety of Helvetesfossen by Cor_Scorpii. Nice instrumental piece and though nothing very technical some of those notes when hit together in harmony sends chills, just like you said, down my spine. Another was Ulytau - Toccata and Fugue. Not sure if it should be considered metal but it is close, and that violin section at the end accompanying the guitar is very amazing. Other than that, Coffin Ships by primordial also sent shivers down my spine on first listen. Amazing song.

Cheers

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:35 pm 

Wormfood's "Death Equal To Nothing" and "Vieux Pedophile" do this to me. Especially Death Equal To Nothing. That section where the big choirs come in and start singing just before the riffing kicks back in gives me goosebumps every time. "Vieux Pedophile" does the same with the backing female singers, along with the fucked up delivery of the vocals.
Hehe, foreskins.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:44 pm 

Ante Bellum by Nazgul

The screams are just so.. EXTREME and emotional.

the keyboards and the melodies are so dark and fit perfectly.

this is a 9 minute song of pure hate.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:44 pm 

Type O Negative - "Bloody Kisses (A Death in the Family)"

Everything about this song is monumentally depressing. The riffs, the vocals, the lyrics, etc. It's overwhelming. And right when the pre-chorus first comes in, offering a small amount of hope and reprieve from the suffocating atmosphere, it's followed by the main chorus, which seems so much more sad due to the slightly happier pre-chorus. The effect works amazingly well.... And then, after the first chorus, the coup de grace, that short piano solo...

Never fails to send chils up my spine. :cry:
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Jazqa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:54 pm 

Summoning - Farewell, that song gives me chills from the beginning to the end.

Blind Guardian - The Last Candle, another awesome song that gives me chills from the beginning to the very end.

Battlelore - Sons of Riddermark, Epic song that gives me chills to, almost every part of the song.

Battlelore - Guardians, the parts when woman vocalist sings. I'm not into female fronted metal or anything but that's just so fucking beautiful.

Amon Amarth - The Pursuit of Vikings, "Oden! Guide our ships, our axes spears and swords! Guide us through storms that whip and in brutal waaaaaarr!!

Týr - Northern Gate, "Whooo-oo-ooo-oo-ooo-oooo" ;D

Morbid Angel - Suffocation, "It's the dawn of the crucifiers"

Nile - Sacrifice Unto Sebek, "Lord of the temple of the mount of sunrise"

Iced Earth - I Walk Alone, the chorus "Mankinds dishonesty.."

Candlemass - The Bleeding Baroness, when the singer sings "the bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding baaaronees"

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:10 pm 

Anaal Nathrakh - Swallow the World

I don't know what the fuck he's saying, but there's some sort of reverb/pitch shift effect on the vocals that sounds quite intimidating. Reminds me of Sarah Connor's screaming during T2's hydrogen bomb nightmare scene.

MourningHall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:25 pm 

Cunoasterea Tacuta by Negura Bunget. The clean vocals combined with that unbelievable tremolo riff at the end just make. So captivating and perfect.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 pm 

I'm pretty sure this thread has been done before Then again, I've been posting for something like half of this board's history, so I've seen a lot of threads.

Anyway, a lot of Kamelot songs do this for me. I think there's been at least two of them on every album they've done since Karma. It's why I maintain that Kamelot are the best power metal band in the world right now.

Queensryche - I Don't Believe in Love - It's absolutely stunning how much emotion Geoff Tate puts into that vocal part. Speak and Suite Sister Mary are awesome, too.

Black Sabbath - Die Young - That moment when the riff kicks in is pure magic.

Dio - "...So never hide AGAAAAAAIN!

You are the driver, you own the road!
You are the fire, go on, EXPLODE!
You've got desire, so let it out!
You've got the power,
STAND UP AND SHOUT!"

Iron Maiden - Killers and The Trooper - specifically, the intro to Killers and the first verse to The Trooper.

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver - Halford shrieking his ass off = good.

Dream Evil - Fire! Battle! In Metal! - Cheesiest song title ever, but it's got gratuitous amounts of energy and a damn good vocal.

Pharaoh - "We're fighting by the dawn
We're fighting after sunrise
We fighting for a chance to see our life to be
And you won't take us alive!"

Ayreon - This is a similar situation to Kamelot - Arjen Lucassen has written so many damn good songs that I can't choose just one. Or two. Or five.

I've got more, but that's enough for now.

CrystalMountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:49 pm 

This was really easy for me, I didn't even have to really think about it. Demons and Wizards - Fiddler on the Green That song is just so haunting and chilling. The music, the vocals, the production, the lyrics, they all just come together and create this swirling atmosphere, with a perfect build up.

Another good one worth mentioning is Tormentor - Elisabeth Bathory

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 pm 

Death- Voice of the soul. Very creepy sounding song, sends chills down my spine every time i hear it.

Miniferret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:50 pm 

Nile - Kheftiu Asar Butchiu

"Khetti! Open Thy Mouth, Distend Thy Jaws!"

Opeth - Baying of the Hounds, the part that kicks in at 9:42, awesome melody that swells up.

Behemoth - At the Left Hand ov God, get shivers every time the chanting and drums kick in.

Last edited by Miniferret on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:51 pm 

1349 - Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun

This song really creeps me out. Its so otherwordly, dark and horrifying. An awesome track really!

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm 

The song "Assassin" by Trouble really does it for me. Theres so much frailty in Eric Wagner's voice when he sings "what gives you the right to put man's life in your hands" he sounds like he's on the brink of tears.

Psychotic Waltz, Anacrusis and Fates warning have also produced many songs with a similar effect.

Leviathus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm 

View from Nihil pt 1 - Mayhem
Old Ghost in the Well - ColdWorld

those two songs are just creepy as fuck

also Bleed by Meshuggah, if the song alone doesn't give you the chills, watch the music video.

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:31 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Death- Voice of the soul. Very creepy sounding song, sends chills down my spine every time i hear it.

^ This. Very rarely does a song give me chills, but this one does.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:35 pm 

Darkthrone's "Transylvaninan Hunger" is just so cold and dark. It sends shivers down my spine. What an atmosphere...

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:45 pm 

CrystalMountain wrote:
This was really easy for me, I didn't even have to really think about it. Demons and Wizards - Fiddler on the Green That song is just so haunting and chilling. The music, the vocals, the production, the lyrics, they all just come together and create this swirling atmosphere, with a perfect build up.

This. Rarely do I ever say a song is literally perfect, but that one truly is.

Radicality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 pm 

Mm, the best I can come up with would be Death's cover of "Painkiller." The vocals are so over-the-top and hair-raising. I didn't like them at first, but I've definitely changed my mind.

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 pm 

Pretty much everything from Mortification gives me chills. To me it feels a lot like the "metal feeling". I've actually stopped listening to a song halfway through because it sounded scary. That was when I was like 10 and I had not heard anything heavy or experimental for that matter.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.