Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:39 pm 

Now, before you all misjudge me as a terrible poser of the worst kind who should eternally burn in the fires of metal hell, let me explain myself. I don't hate Manowar. But basically, after trying time and time again to get into their music, I have still failed to do so.

Why? Well, that is partly the point of this topic. It isn't just about Manowar - it's about power metal in general, and its various good and bad points.

Helloween is another good example of this: a great band with brilliant musicianship, awesome vocals and a really epic feel, right? Well, yes. But I can't get into them either. Is it an issue I have with power metal? It could be, since I don't like any actual power metal bands that are purely power metal. But, if Iron Maiden counts as semi-power metal, then it isn't as I love all of Iron Maiden's first six albums. I also really like Yngwie Malmsteen, although he is more neo-classical metal than power metal - though his 80's albums definitely have a bit of a power metal vibe, IMO. Yet I love all of his first six albums too...so why can't I get into full on power metal bands like Helloween and Manowar?

The biggest problem I have with Manowar is the problem a lot of the band's detractors have: their cheesiness. That, and I find a lot of their songs just not very interesting. I thought I could look past that, and sometimes I can: I do actually like some of their songs, but "some" is defined here as effectively about two songs. Those songs would be "All Men Play On 10", and "Thor (The Powerhead)". Aside from that, I find the majority of their songs both cheesy and boring. Ditto for bands like Helloween. Also, their embracing of the most extremely overbearing metal cliches imaginable cannot be something universally loved by all metalheads and only disliked by metal's enemies - I cannot be the only metalhead in the world who finds that whole image really absurd at times.

To me, a band like Candlemass is just as "true" and "heavy fucking metal" as Manowar have ever been, while being far less cheesy. I got into metal through them, and to me, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is still one of the finest albums I have ever heard. It also has some apparent power metal influences, despite being a doom metal album. Yet I have no problem with it. Maybe it's the vocals...a lot of power metal bands have irritating vocals, and I just can't look past this.

But I digress. The main point is, I do indeed have a problem listening to most power metal bands: not only older bands like Manowar and Helloween, but all of them pretty much: Hammerfall, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, etc...in fact, the only band I like of this regard is Old Iced Earth. I don't know why I like them but can't get into the others...I just do.

Perhaps it's just me...after all, I have pretty unusual opinions on classic metal too. I love all of Judas Priest almost entirely save for Point Of Entry, including Turbo(I'm not kidding, either), and I love Iron Maiden's first six albums, but I feel that Somewhere In Time is their true masterpiece and not Powerslave(which I think is somewhat overrated). And I like Black Sabbath's first six albums but nothing past that. And I really like Yngwie Malmsteen, especially all of his albums up until and including Fire & Ice - even though his music is probably strongly influenced by power metal. Why do I like his music, and not Manowar? Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Of course, I'm sure that plenty of people feel that Manowar is the greatest band ever, while Malmsteen is an overrated guitar wanker. Fair enough - we all have different opinions. The point I am trying to make is this: power metal, and everything related to it and influenced by it, is perhaps just too different from band to band. It often depends purely on the vocals as to whether you like it or not - bad clean vocalists can make an entire album unlistenable. Maybe that's the problem - there are just too many different sounds in the power metal world, which is why a person can love one band while hating another from the same genre.

Anyway, discuss.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 pm 

"Am I the only one who thinks Manowar are overrated?"

yes

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:48 pm 

So what, you can't get into PM; not everyone can like every genre of music. It's fine.

I do have a problem with the cheesy thing though; I don't think it can be used in a negative way at all about Manowar or Maiden or any of these kinds of bands. These bands are loud, proud and the essence of what metal is.

The only thing I do not like about Manowar is the production; where are the fucking riffs? It's quite odd that a band proclaiming themselves gods of metal barely have any muscle in their guitar sound. I do enjoy Manowar, I just don't think they are near the best of the classic metal pool.

masterofordure
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:48 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

yes

yes x2

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:54 pm 

The only thing I don't get about Manowar is what the hell they were trying to do on Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

yes

No!

People should just accept that different people like different stuff and peoples tastes change all the time. Next year you might find you love Manowar, who knows. It often depends on the situation in our lives and what kind of art speaks to us.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what this topic is about, just thought I'd let y'all know.

Nintendevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:28 pm 

There are a lot of people who think a lot of bands are over rated. Most of them you could say, are love/hate bands, like Slayer, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Deicide, Mayhem, Behemoth, Emperor, Judas Priest, Sunn O)))) etc.

Last edited by Nintendevil on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:55 pm 

Wait... you mean there are people who hate Celtic Frost and Judas Priest? o_O

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:06 pm 

I've never seen anyone overjock Deicide. If anything they probably get an overdose of hatred on this forum.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 pm 

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the hall.

Biedrik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:26 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:

I don't like Celtic Frost. However, I think I love Judas Priest enough to cancel it out.

LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 pm 

The term overrated in regards to music bothers me, that's a term that seems like it should be more exclusive to sports athletes and other such things that have an actual foundation for judgment rather than just opinion.

With that being said, I can't stand manowar :D, but then again Ive heard maybe 3 PM bands in my metal career that I actually liked! I should probably try to find more bands like those.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:25 pm 

1. Stop calling Manowar power metal, cause they ain't!
2. ?
3. Profit

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 pm 

I like PM and dislike Manowar. It happens... You can't like everything, no matter how hard you try. I fyou say you like something, but actually dislike it... that might be some sort of poser tendence.

BrokenBrain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:59 pm 

I hate manowar. Warriors covered in oil? thats a posse.
Manowar are posers!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:16 pm 

Listen to Into Glory Ride.. And then listen to it more. It's so fucking awsome it hurts. Oh and Epicus Doomicus Metallicus IS fucking majestic.

daviddurie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 pm 

ManOwaR both aren't power metal or for everyone. They have a pretty distinct sound and song writing style. Don't worry if its not your thing as long as you have heard Battle Hymns, Into Glory Ride, Sign of the Hammer Warriors of the World. As long as you are aware of their different sounds and still don't like it move on.

NuclearArson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:05 pm 

I can't see how Manowar sound power metal-ish at all. It's 666% heavy metal. It's cheesy, catchy, heavy and headbangable, and it makes you sing along. You can't want any more and you can't dislike them, actually. Though it's hilarious to call yourself the Kings of Metal.
Will be ours

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:16 pm 

I think 'Into Glory Ride' and 'Hail To England' are still pretty good. I donĀ“t listen to them as much as i did years ago, but from time to time it still gives me a good time, when i do. And if you listen closely, you will hear that Bathory 'borrowed' complete parts from various songs from 'Into Glory Ride' for his own 'Blood Fire Death' album.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:

Who are they and why are they still alive?!

OP, it's perfectly okay if you can't get yourself to like a band or a genre. You shouldn't force yourself or think you should have to like anything. That said, I think you've sort of misunderstood both power metal and Manowar. There's a lot more to power metal than those few bands you listed and if some of the things some of them do seem cliched it's because so many other bands copied their style, thereby making it a cliche.

I happen to love Manowar because they very nicely encapsulate the anthemic, fist-pumping, loud-and-proud side of metal. As others noted, they aren't the gods of riffs or musicianship or whatever else but they are definitely great at pumping you up, getting you to sing along, and simply conveying the essence of the metal spirit.

newfag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:00 pm 

MoW is SO overrated it's not even funny.

Everywhere i look i see "HAIL from *random local*

Maybe i just haven't heard the right songs by them. . .

Also *First post on my new account, as i was banned without notification*(WOW moderators you're cool)

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 pm 

I have little respect for anybody who takes Manowar's music seriously if they're a straight guy. There is so much homoerocism about Manowar that a non-ironic appreciation in a straight male is just... wrong. If you're gay then there is clearly nothing wrong with loving Manowar in a totally serious way.

darklordofstuff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm 

ManOWar can suck a fat one. Stupid cheesy power metal where they think they're the kings of metal? Pffft.

Trivium > ManOWar

Orthar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm 

darklordofstuff wrote:
ManOWar can suck a fat one. Stupid cheesy power metal where they think they're the kings of metal? Pffft.

Trivium > ManOWar

You are by far one of the most idiotic members I have ever come across over the internet. You are a disgrace to Metal, the Gods frown upon you.

Manowar over-rated? Maybe with their last album, it wasn't all too great. But god damn, what they did with their early releases was nothing short of amazing. So no, they are not over-rated. They are an extremely talented band.

And Eric Adams makes me cream myself.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.