Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm 

Does anyone have a copy of this game?

If so, has it introduced you to bands with whom you weren't familiar?

How often do you play it and do you enjoy it as much as a typical board game like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit?

Does anyone know what happened to JPW Metal Enterprises (the creative entity behind the game)? I know JP was (is still?) writing for Metal-Rules.com but what about the company itself?
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

Nintendevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 pm 

lmao that is the greatest thing ever.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:45 am 

I must find this game :o

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 am 

Is the Metal Enterprises that released this game at all related to the record label that released those horrible/disturbing fake metal albums like "Orgasm of Death" during the 80's/90's?

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:36 am 

I have the game, a few of my friends have it as well. I haven't played it in a while, but sometimes when I get together with friends I see infrequently we'll bust it out and give it a round.

It's a pretty decent game and it does cover all ends of the metal spectrum. One problem is that the guy who did it, Josh Wood, is Canadian and there was a larger amount of questions about Canadian metal bands than I was expecting (and I don't mean just Razor, Blasphemy and Sacrifice, I mean more obscure hair-metal ones too). Some of the questions will probably lead to some arguments, like one will tell you to name four metal bands named after the Bible, and they only list ten, so if you say 'Pestilence' as one (one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse), it would be wrong since it's not on that list, while on the list are other bands like the more obscure Canuck band 'Jesus Christ'.

It's still fun, but it can be pretty maddening, and it's not going to be easy for casual metal fans, and unless knowing info like who produced the second W.A.S.P. album is your stock in trade, it could be a long, long game, ha ha.

I can't say it turned me onto any new bands, but it does help you retain a few "usless" metal trivia tidbits, and in the end, it's just about fun and bragging rights, and it's definitely good for that.

The game could use an update, as it was done about 10 years ago. Back then you could buy it at any of the mailorders (Relapse, CM, etc.) but now I guess it's harder to find, although one sold recently on eBay for $10, so just keep your eyes open, especially north of the border, and you can probably get one and try it out.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.