Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:06 pm 

irionman wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
DisembowelMe wrote:
irionman wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:
Ozzy's a sad old burnout.

Ozzy still kicks ass. He wrote most modern trends in metal.

Like?

I was just about to say...He never WROTE any music, lol

I didn't say he wrote any music, I said he wrote the trends. This also goes back to Black Sabbath. Watch metal interviews. See how many of them list Sabbath as a inspiration.

Yeah, but that's more or less instrumental inspiration, not the vocals.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 pm 

irionman wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
DisembowelMe wrote:
irionman wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:
Ozzy's a sad old burnout.

Ozzy still kicks ass. He wrote most modern trends in metal.

Like?

I was just about to say...He never WROTE any music, lol

I didn't say he wrote any music, I said he wrote the trends. This also goes back to Black Sabbath. Watch metal interviews. See how many of them list Sabbath as a inspiration.

Dude, what the hell do you mean, he 'wrote' trends? Seriously, explain to me what writing a trend consists of. And no-one is denying Sabbath's influence, they're pointing out that Ozzy had little impact on the songwriting.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 pm 

Sabbath is/was Iommi, just fucking Iommi. Ozzy just sat around and sometimes sang decently and other times like shit. That goes for his solo stuff as well, since his band are the ones that write everything.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 pm 

Geezer was a big part too. Considering Ozzy listened to groups like the Beatles, I doubt Iommi's riffs would combine that well with probable lyrics about lollipops and sunshine.

~Guest 97031
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:29 pm 

He should bring back Jake E. Lee.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:31 pm 

Ozzy was simply tapped as a vocalist. He was never that much of a creative force in Sabbath beyond that.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 pm 

NotGlib wrote:
Geezer was a big part too. Considering Ozzy listened to groups like the Beatles, I doubt Iommi's riffs would combine that well with probable lyrics about lollipops and sunshine.

:roll: I doubt Ozzy was the only person who in the band listened to the Beatles, and their lyrics encompass a lot more than 'lollipops and sunshine.' In fact, lollipops didn't play a prominent role in their lyricism at all. Sunshine is more common, however.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

:roll: I doubt Ozzy was the only person who in the band who listened to the Beatles, and their lyrics encompass a lot more than 'lollipops and sunshine.' In fact, lollipops didn't play much of a role in their lyricism at all. Sunshine is more common, however.

I wasn't commenting on their songwriting. Beatles songs tended to be cheery while Sabbath songs rather dreary.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am 

charlie91 wrote:

Probably not going to happen. I don't think Lee even gets royalties on Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am 

Deucalion wrote:
charlie91 wrote:

Probably not going to happen. I don't think Lee even gets royalties on Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin.

Wasn't the Ultimate Sin "deleted" from the catalog?

JohnnyRebel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:02 am 

NotGlib wrote:
Deucalion wrote:
charlie91 wrote:

Poor ol' jakey lou

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 am 

Deucalion wrote:
charlie91 wrote:

Bringing him back could ultimately be a good decision. It would make marketing the album much easier.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:22 am 

doom_monger wrote:
Bringing him back could ultimately be a good decision. It would make marketing the album much easier.

I'm not so sure. Jake E. Lee isn't as well known as Wylde. A lot of people probably wouldn't even know that Lee had played on previous Ozzy albums. Plus, the style of the album would probably be quite a bit different if Lee wrote it (I'm only going on the little bit I've heard of Lee; he might sound like Wylde nowadays for all I know). I wouldn't mind a different style, as the bit of newer Ozzy I've heard hasn't been impressive (but I've never been a fan, anyways). However, many people might be disappointed. Also, the loss of Wylde might not be a great thing in terms of selling points of the album. The people that worship Wylde would probably prefer to have him on the album (unless they're just content with BLS).

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 am 

Deucalion wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

I'm not so sure. Jake E. Lee isn't as well known as Wylde. A lot of people probably wouldn't even know that Lee had played on previous Ozzy albums. Plus, the style of the album would probably be quite a bit different if Lee wrote it (I'm only going on the little bit I've heard of Lee; he might sound like Wylde nowadays for all I know). I wouldn't mind a different style, as the bit of newer Ozzy I've heard hasn't been impressive (but I've never been a fan, anyways). However, many people might be disappointed. Also, the loss of Wylde might not be a great thing in terms of selling points of the album. The people that worship Wylde would probably prefer to have him on the album (unless they're just content with BLS).

Exactly, that's where the marketing comes in. I have no doubt they can generate interest with a) a dramatic re-entrance into the band, and b) they would mention his involvement with those "classic" albums.

Anyway, this is extremely hypothetical. You're probably right in that Lee won't be the new guitarriest.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:23 am 

From what I've heard, Lee has developed a really bluesy style over the years. That could actually be interesting if done right...

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 am 

As much as I like Zakk as a guitarist; I think Ozzy is right. The last album had a lot of BLS flavor to it and the album before that had some as well. I think it will benefit Ozzy more on the new album if he finds a new guitarist. Whether its John5 or whoever; I think Ozzy's run his course with Zakk. Zakk's been stuck in the same style far too long. The last BLS album was a real disappointment.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:22 pm 

You know, the last album also sounded a lot like Rob Zombie in some parts. Should he get rid of Blasko as well?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:19 pm 

NotGlib wrote:
Deucalion wrote:
charlie91 wrote:

Yeah, Ozzy says he hates that album, though I think you can still get it as an import and on iTunes. Same thing with Speak of The Devil. The part about Jake not getting royalties...I don't think that's true, but there is/was some legal battle between Ozzy and Phil Soussan over "Shot In The Dark" which I think has to do with Ozzy claiming songwriting credits on it and Soussan disputing that (Ozzy and Soussan are listed as co-writers on that song). My theory is that is, considering that "Shot In The Dark" is probably the most well-known song on Ultimate Sin, that legal battle is probably the reason the Osbournes took that CD out of print. Notice that the other albums that had that song (the live ones) are also out of print and it was removed from the Ozzman Cometh CD.

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
In fact, lollipops didn't play a prominent role in their lyricism at all. Sunshine is more common, however.

This made me lol for some reason.

I can't believe there's people who actually still listen to Ozzy Osbourne. It doesn't matter which guitarist he gets, the next album is gonna suck either way. Though he may not write any material, and a new guitarist has potential for improving their overall sound, Ozzy will find a way to fuck it up and make it sound like shit. He always does.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 am 

Ozzy's band sounds like BLS, but with Ozzy on vocals. and his performance is crap. even an original Sabbath reunion tour would be a wasted effort, because Ozzy couldn't handle the traveling and performing like Dio and crew can. his next album will suck, but i will always be happy knowing i can listen to Black Sabbath forever. :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2