Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:18 am 

I bought one of Thor's CD's for real cheap, and found that it (Thor Against The World) was some very interesting metal music. It had loads of outside influences from other genres and unexpected instruments like saxophones and harmonicas and synthesizers. This guy released his first metal album apparently in 1977. Talk about a forgotten metal pioneer!

Anyone else run into some of this guy's music? What albums? I really don't know much about him besides this one CD and some songs i youtubed, but he seems like a cool musician.

Ghost_of_Zulch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 am 

Thor is a very rad band indeed. "Only The Strong" is an unheralded classic. You only have to listen to "Knock 'Em Down" a single time before you will be compelled to go out and kick some asses! Apart from that, the only stuff I'm familar with is one of the new albums. Not sure which, but it was a bit bland. Seems they suffered the Venom fate.

Apart from that, Thor himself does some strongman type stuff on stage to prove how awesome he is when they play live!

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 am 

Ghost_of_Zulch wrote:
Apart from that, Thor himself does some strongman type stuff on stage to prove how awesome he is when they play live!

Ha, yeah. I saw some internet videos of him exploding water bottles with his lungs. I'd imagine that takes some serious strength.

Thanks for the recommendation of "Only the Strong." I'm having a hard time finding his 80's stuff for sale, though. All I run across is the new albums.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 am 

I can't stop listening to Throwing Cars at People on Coke With Thor with Anal Cunt

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 am 

I've seen this monster live! .... but not during his prime, but a month ago.

He's entertaining and amusing as hell, just too bad he picked the worst mofos I've ever seen to perform this music together with him this time arround. Ah well, it was well enough to see this big, fat guy run arround in a batman-like suit and change mask after mask, aswell as howling all these humerous and quite bizarre lines at the crowd.

Also, as he arrived at the camp and came out of a buss, I and two of my friends were the first to hug him, and they filmed it all for some future Thor-documentary! Haha, it's going to be awesome.

BEHOLD THE HAMMER!!!! *holds up a pretty unimpressive hammer made of wood*

Here's a live-clip from the gig I was at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tqNT9lsf3I

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 am 

Jarnroth wrote:

He's entertaining and amusing as hell, just too bad he picked the worst mofos I've ever seen to perform this music together with him this time arround. Ah well, it was well enough to see this big, fat guy run arround in a batman-like suit and change mask after mask, aswell as howling all these humerous and quite bizarre lines at the crowd.

Also, as he arrived at the camp and came out of a buss, I and two of my friends were the first to hug him, and they filmed it all for some future Thor-documentary! Haha, it's going to be awesome.

I was there as well, It´s a friend of mine that filmed that video. Some good songs but it´s too gimmicky and he doesn´t even look ripped anymore.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 am 

Don't like Thor much. I'm not even sure if I would call that early output metal. "Only teh Strong" is probably the best output from them/him I've heard, but I'd still say it's rather weak (hah).

And this is still on topic, but who else has seen "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare"? Pretty funny movie, that.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Duffy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 am 

Never bothered to checkout much of his music, but goddamn the redhead on one of his picture disc's was hot (no idea which album this is): http://www.vinylcheese.com/graphics/thor.jpg
So, props for that.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm 

Thrashedtofuck wrote:
Jarnroth wrote:

I was there as well, It´s a friend of mine that filmed that video. Some good songs but it´s too gimmicky and he doesn´t even look ripped anymore.

But it's entertaining, I find enough value with his current act just for that simple reason.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 am 

i only got round to hearing Thor more recently. I got "OTS" and was pretty impressed. really catchy stuff - a good blend of poppy, catchy choruses, with some traditional lyrics and the ocassional cool riff here and there. will be tracking down more efforts from this legend

Speedmetalcrustpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:57 am 

Such a super cheesy looking dude but the music is fucking sweet lol.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37 pm 

Hmm, it looks like a one man Manowar crossed with Spinal Tap. I think I need to hear some of this.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:38 pm 

Thor is pretty crappy. Can't write riffs, even though his lyrics can be pretty good. "Let the Blood Run Red" sounds like it ought to be an awesome song.

Basically Thor = Diet Manowar

BlackDuddi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:41 pm 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
guy released his first metal album apparently in 1977. Talk about a forgotten metal pioneer!

Yeah well that album wasn't really a Metal album. Just a straight Rock album I would say.

I think his best releases are "Triumphant" and of course "Only the Strong"

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:56 pm 

The only Thor album I've heard is Devastation of Musculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6vkFyanSI

That's literally the best song on the album.

I don't think I need to say more.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.