Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Al_Funcoot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 pm 

And they are without a doubt the worst poser doom metal band I've ever heard.

I listened to Dance of December Souls and my god what a terrible album, the production was good but the music was just bad bad bad. Long overdrawn songs that are completely boring and lacking any real punch to them. In fact, the riffs were so light they were barely metal! What the fudge is this crap, fairy core? And don't even get me started on those vocals! I thought most black metal vocals were bad but this guy sounds like he's being buggered by a white hot fire poker inbetween each line of the song. It's damn irritating hearing this pre-pubescent faggot whine on about feeling alienated because he had to wear odd socks to school and everybody teased him.

So a bad start but hey, first albums aren't meant to be the peak of your career (unless you're Cynic) so I decided to give their next album a try. My eagerness received a massive boost when I heard that the pussy who did vocals on the first album couldn't scream anymore and would be replaced by the almighty lord Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth! HAIL GOD! So yeah I listened to Brave Murder Day and whilst Akerfeldt was expectedly awesome on vocals the album sucked just as much as the previous release. In fact it sucked even more because the supposedly "metal" riffs were even more watered down! Seriously, god damn Joy Division was heavier than this piss. The songs were still boring and full of predictable dynamic changes and the lyrics were still sophomoric attempts at isolationist poetry that don't make any sense. And the drumming and bass were still simple lines that a 5 year old could play. The only reason why this album was interesting was because Akerfeldt did a superb job on the vocals like he always does.

So yeah, they've failed epically to impress me so far but after hearing that they had to make a drastic style change to their music I decided to give them one last chance and bought Discouraged Ones, which has easily turned out to be the worst CD I've purchased. This is metal? You must be joking. Discouraged Ones is an album for lame emo pussy hipsters because that's who it's made by. Katatonia completely abandoned their metal roots (which they never held to that strongly anyway to be frank) and sold out to make uber lame radio-friendly cure-plagarizing goth pop-rock. The riffs have NO PUNCH WHATSOEVER. The drumming is so bad it makes Lars Ulrich look like a virtouso and the songs, even though they've been shortened, are still boring pieces of pseudo-melancholic tripe but to top it all off, they brought back the twonk from the first album to do clean vocals this time! And my word he's embarassing, he sounds like a 13 year old performing in his first school choir. When his voice isn't flat and emotionless it's trying so hard to sound sad that it makes me wince just listening to it and the lyrics are still cobbled together bits of poetry that are probably stolen Kurt Cobain.

In a nutshell, Katatonia are a terrible terrible impersonation of real doom metal and having realized this, they sold out to make terrible terrible pop-goth-rock. They are an embarassment to metal and should be taken off this website. If you want real emotional, melodic and interesting doom metal go listen to Opeth.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 pm 

No food here. Move along.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm 

It annoys me when this band is referred to as doom metal. It's definitly a doomy sounding band but death metal or rock for their recent stuff should follow the doom designation.

Al_Funcoot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
It annoys me when this band is referred to as doom metal. It's definitly a doomy sounding band but death metal or rock for their recent stuff should follow the doom designation.
I suppose you could catergorize their first two albums as doom-ish but now they are just depressive radio-rock that sounds like everything else out there.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm 

Al_Funcoot wrote:
the production was good but the music was just bad bad bad.

Stopped reading right there
If my lady you would favour me.
Far brighter than the stars your smile,
You hold the richest sunset in those eyes--
You are England.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

Al_Funcoot wrote:
If you want real emotional, melodic and interesting doom metal go listen to Opeth.

I'm sorry but interesting and Doom Metal don't belong in the same paragraph, let alone sentence, with Opeth. The rest of your post is about as coherent as a paraplegic deaf mute's rendition of Homer in greek.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm 

Al_Funcoot wrote:
And they are without a doubt the worst poser doom metal band I've ever heard.

I listened to Dance of December Souls and my god what a terrible album, the production was good but the music was just bad bad bad. Long overdrawn songs that are completely boring and lacking any real punch to them. In fact, the riffs were so light they were barely metal! What the fudge is this crap, fairy core? And don't even get me started on those vocals! I thought most black metal vocals were bad but this guy sounds like he's being buggered by a white hot fire poker inbetween each line of the song. It's damn irritating hearing this pre-pubescent faggot whine on about feeling alienated because he had to wear odd socks to school and everybody teased him.

So a bad start but hey, first albums aren't meant to be the peak of your career (unless you're Cynic) so I decided to give their next album a try. My eagerness received a massive boost when I heard that the pussy who did vocals on the first album couldn't scream anymore and would be replaced by the almighty lord Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth! HAIL GOD! So yeah I listened to Brave Murder Day and whilst Akerfeldt was expectedly awesome on vocals the album sucked just as much as the previous release. In fact it sucked even more because the supposedly "metal" riffs were even more watered down! Seriously, god damn Joy Division was heavier than this piss. The songs were still boring and full of predictable dynamic changes and the lyrics were still sophomoric attempts at isolationist poetry that don't make any sense. And the drumming and bass were still simple lines that a 5 year old could play. The only reason why this album was interesting was because Akerfeldt did a superb job on the vocals like he always does.

So yeah, they've failed epically to impress me so far but after hearing that they had to make a drastic style change to their music I decided to give them one last chance and bought Discouraged Ones, which has easily turned out to be the worst CD I've purchased. This is metal? You must be joking. Discouraged Ones is an album for lame emo pussy hipsters because that's who it's made by. Katatonia completely abandoned their metal roots (which they never held to that strongly anyway to be frank) and sold out to make uber lame radio-friendly cure-plagarizing goth pop-rock. The riffs have NO PUNCH WHATSOEVER. The drumming is so bad it makes Lars Ulrich look like a virtouso and the songs, even though they've been shortened, are still boring pieces of pseudo-melancholic tripe but to top it all off, they brought back the twonk from the first album to do clean vocals this time! And my word he's embarassing, he sounds like a 13 year old performing in his first school choir. When his voice isn't flat and emotionless it's trying so hard to sound sad that it makes me wince just listening to it and the lyrics are still cobbled together bits of poetry that are probably stolen Kurt Cobain.

In a nutshell, Katatonia are a terrible terrible impersonation of real doom metal and having realized this, they sold out to make terrible terrible pop-goth-rock. They are an embarassment to metal and should be taken off this website. If you want real emotional, melodic and interesting doom metal go listen to Opeth.

I'd love to punch you in the face really hard, but judging by the quality of your post I'd feel too guilty. Why? Because hitting you would be like assaulting a retarded baby seal with down's syndrome. Get the fuck out, you clearly don't understand shit about Katatonia (and the bands who inspired them) or alternative music in the slightest.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 pm 

This is a pretty obvious troll attempt.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.