Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm 

Do you have any personal stories of meeting people from bands and they treated you/fans like absolute shit? Most metal bands don't really have members that are all that arrogant but it happens. I just saw Deicide and I met glen benton and the only way he could have been more arrogant is if he was carried on a throne naked and eating grapes. He tried to get me bounced after the show too, but thankfully people had my back. I never realized how hated he really was, since just about everyone there called him an asshole.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm 

Can you go more into detail about your own experience with Benton? Why did he try to boot you?

DALE9892
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 pm 

karl sanders is a complete dickhead arrogant prick.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:08 pm 

From all reports, I've heard Axel Rose a major Doochbag.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 pm 

None of you guys are backing anything up as to why. Is this just what you read in the papers?

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Can you go more into detail about your own experience with Benton? Why did he try to boot you?

This is pretty much how it went down. He showed up, started signing autographs and pictures and shit. Everyone was trying to greet him and he just ignored everyone and anyone who tried to say something, even if it was " oh great show love the band etc" So I was crowd surfing while they played and I ended up on stage and apparently that is a no no to him, started yelling at me to "get the fuck off his stage" and told the bouncers to kick everyone out who gets up on stage. Thankfully I didn't get bounced because I was chilling with these dudes backstage who had VIP passes. It basically boils down to he is an attention hog and he wants everyone's eyes to be on him. And this trait is unique to him, which is a big contrast from say, Vital Remains who I saw there with them, where the singer shook my hand while he was performing and URGED the crowd to get on stage, and personally helped me and anyone else who wanted to get on stage. Glen doesn't even take compliments, you tell them that you love his music and he doesn't say a word to you, or even look at you. Again, a big contrast to the band Martyr who I saw with them, where I told the drummer that they kicked ass and he personally came over, shook my hand, and gave me a free CD and thanked me again for supporting them. But people reassured me that I didn't do anything wrong, that this sort of thing happens all the time and that he hates EVERYONE.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

Putrid_Grind wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

This is pretty much how it went down. He showed up, started signing autographs and pictures and shit. Everyone was trying to greet him and he just ignored everyone and anyone who tried to say something, even if it was " oh great show love the band etc" So I was crowd surfing while they played and I ended up on stage and apparently that is a no no to him, started yelling at me to "get the fuck off his stage" and told the bouncers to kick everyone out who gets up on stage. Thankfully I didn't get bounced because I was chilling with these dudes backstage who had VIP passes. It basically boils down to he is an attention hog and he wants everyone's eyes to be on him. And this trait is unique to him, which is a big contrast from say, Vital Remains who I saw there with them, where the singer shook my hand while he was performing and URGED the crowd to get on stage, and personally helped me and anyone else who wanted to get on stage. Glen doesn't even take compliments, you tell them that you love his music and he doesn't say a word to you, or even look at you. Again, a big contrast to the band Martyr who I saw with them, where I told the drummer that they kicked ass and he personally came over, shook my hand, and gave me a free CD and thanked me again for supporting them. But people reassured me that I didn't do anything wrong, that this sort of thing happens all the time and that he hates EVERYONE.

Maybe that is being a jerk but at least he's consistent with the image of "individualism" and pittance of true Satanism.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 pm 

I believe a fellow chap on this very board once posted a tale of Dave Mustaine bitching out a young kid because he took pictures of him, but then again he's always been known as an egotistical prick so that isn't much of a surprise.

Obligatory Last FM Link

HexagonSunn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

^Should have torn his eyes out.

Pando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm 

Benton is a fat wanker...

Oh, and his music sucks.

You should have pointed at his pathetic scar and started laughing uncontrollably.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 pm 

People are buying his records so he is doing ok and he could care less.

DeathMetalProgRocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 pm 

Putrid_Grind wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I have heard mixed things about him. A few have said he is alright but most say he is a prick.
This bloke I met after attending a Dying Fetus gig said that he had met Glen and that he is an egotistical wanker who takes himself too seriously. This has been backed up by several stories I have heard.

Lets face it the moron did burn an upside down cross into his forhead so maybe he is just trying to be totally darkz and evilzzz!!!
Though I think it's more likely that he just has an ego because he is in one of the iconic death metal bands, I mean in death metal terms Deicide are a massive success.
Everything said here is true. You could also replace the word 'metallica' with 'opeth'.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:30 pm 

DeathMetalProgRocker wrote:
Putrid_Grind wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I have heard mixed things about him. A few have said he is alright but most say he is a prick.
This bloke I met after attending a Dying Fetus gig said that he had met Glen and that he is an egotistical wanker who takes himself too seriously. This has been backed up by several stories I have heard.

Lets face it the moron did burn an upside down cross into his forhead so maybe he is just trying to be totally darkz and evilzzz!!!
Though I think it's more likely that he just has an ego because he is in one of the iconic death metal bands, I mean in death metal terms Deicide are a massive success.

Wasn't he going to kill himself at the age of 33 to mimmick Jesus but backed out?

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 pm 

Aurone wrote:
DeathMetalProgRocker wrote:
Putrid_Grind wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Wasn't he going to kill himself at the age of 33 to mimmick Jesus but backed out?

Yep.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 pm 

Ask Bob Larson if Glen Benton is a nice guy or not. Hell even ask the Hoffmann Bros.

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
People are buying his records so he is doing ok and he could care less.

And that's the problem. He thinks that just because he is in a successful band that he fancies himself a god among men. Looks like he forgot who built him up to be who he is. And that "satanic" image he has is bullshit. He even hints at it himself when he calls himself a "showman." He claims to worship satan and be so anti-god and "EVIL" but in reality he doesn't believe in any of that shit. The cross burning is a publicity stunt that worked. And no, he isn't really all that much of an "individual." He is nothing more than a crowd pleaser, something that isn't always bad but he makes decisions based on what is going to make him more money rather than what the fans would really like.
On a side note his girlfriend is ugly as shit. She looks like a cross between a hipster in her late LATE 30 somethings year old and a librarian.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:51 pm 

You've seen his girlfriend, have you? I'd hate to think how she'd be treated.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:53 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I believe a fellow chap on this very board once posted a tale of Dave Mustaine bitching out a young kid because he took pictures of him, but then again he's always been known as an egotistical prick so that isn't much of a surprise.

One friend of mine had a story about a friend having Mustaine sign a photo at a meet-and-greet, and Mustaine didn't even look at him. Didn't surprise me one bit.

I don't have any stories to share. I've never met a musician in real life (save for some local ones that were good friends to begin with), and all the ones who I've talked with on the internet were amazingly nice.

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:55 pm 

ENKC wrote:
You've seen his girlfriend, have you? I'd hate to think how she'd be treated.

Probably terrible, I feel bad for her. He definitely strikes me as the womanizer type, except no one wants to sleep with him 1 because he is fat, and 2 he is an asshole. She looked bored the whole time and no one talked to her. I don't remember anything that would indicate that he treats her like shit other than the fact he kind of ignored her and let her stand in a corner while he had legions of fans sucking his dick and as he talked to members of other bands. I dont even think she likes Metal, because she sure didn't look like it.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:15 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:

From what I've heard, Dave Mustaine is one of the biggest assholes of metal. I don't deny that he has great talent, but I must say it is disappointing when people like him act like jerks to their adoring fans.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

Ung0liant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:23 pm 

Seth Putnam released a song called "All our fans are gay". And he beat a woman with a microphone.

Thats considering Anal Cunt is metal, of course.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 pm 

The lead singer of 3 Inches of Blood told this really little kid near the front of the stage to go stand in the back in the Peanut Gallery

;__;

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38 pm 

Ung0liant wrote:
Seth Putnam released a song called "All our fans are gay". And he beat a woman with a microphone.

Dude... it's Anal Cunt. If they aren't insulting people, they're not being Anal Cunt. To have Seth Putnam personally insult you is his way of saying he likes you.

Actually, all of the shows I've been to have had very affable band members. The only possible exception was Stolen Babies, where the bassist got pissed at some heckler in the crowd. He seemed to get a bit too pissy about it, even when I was talking with the members after the set, but the other members actually kind of enjoyed it. As Dominique put it, "Hey, at least someone cares enough to pay attention! Better that than to be totally ignored." So the bassist's pissiness gets outweighed by the other members' relaxed takes.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 pm 

Never gets old.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:46 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Ask Bob Larson if Glen Benton is a nice guy or not. Hell even ask the Hoffmann Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzpBxFsZAjI

Apparently Bob and Glen are friends and are just doing it for the lulz.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:50 pm 

Juggernaut140 wrote:
The lead singer of 3 Inches of Blood told this really little kid near the front of the stage to go stand in the back in the Peanut Gallery

;__;

There were some young kids in front when I saw Destruction (I think they were about nine years old). Schmier took time in between some songs to talk to them and praise them as the future of metal. Before one song (I can't remember which) he toasted the crowd, hesitated before drinking his beer, looked at the kids, pointed to the bottle and said "Don't do this until you get older. Beer is bad for you", and then proceeded to take a mighty swig.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theobscurum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:51 pm 

Ung0liant wrote:

I was going to mention this dumb fuck. Saw them play live yesterday. Terrible.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:04 pm 

He's hilarious but Buzz Osbourne seems to have a pretty low tolerance for a lot of his fans. Absolutely NO interaction with the crowd during the Melvins live shows. Plus every interview I've read with him he seems extremely...I don't know the word. Not bitter, but he hates dealing with any type of bullshit.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:05 pm 

While not a jerk directily, when I went to Rockfest 7.5, the band before headlining Rob Zombie was Down. I swear, that lead singer was either Stoned, Drunk or both. I have no problem with people, specificly band members, drinking (I don't support drugs, but I don't fight them either), but when your on stage, I expect them to be at there peek and ready. Really, this guy could barely stand it took him like 3 minutes to complete a sentance.

PurificationByHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 pm 

Paul Speckman of Master was a prick when I met him, Vogg from Decapitated was an asshole too

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:07 pm 

Aurone wrote:
While not a jerk directily, when I went to Rockfest 7.5, the band before headlining Rob Zombie was Down. I swear, that lead singer was either Stoned, Drunk or both. I have no problem with people, specificly band members, drinking (I don't support drugs, but I don't fight them either), but when your on stage, I expect them to be at there peek and ready. Really, this guy could barely stand it took him like 3 minutes to complete a sentance.

That's Phil from Pantera, and yeah, he's a loser.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Aurone wrote:

That's Phil from Pantera, and yeah, he's a loser.

He was in a basement of frustration at the time.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

;__;

There were some young kids in front when I saw Destruction (I think they were about nine years old). Schmier took time in between some songs to talk to them and praise them as the future of metal. Before one song (I can't remember which) he toasted the crowd, hesitated before drinking his beer, looked at the kids, pointed to the bottle and said "Don't do this until you get older. Beer is bad for you", and then proceeded to take a mighty swig.

Haha, yeah, that concert was awesome. But seriously, there were like three or four of those young kids there. Kinda weird, but they were really getting into the show, so good on them!

Schmier's belligerence was aimed purely at the venue and the sound guy for, apparently, a shitty PA (even though it sounded fine). He definitely seems like a fun guy to hang out with.

...And seriously, that concert was awesome.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 pm 

It's well known that Overkill treat their fans like shit. Oh well. Too bad their music sucks.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm 

Seth Putnam is not really a good example. His band is not even a serious band.

Jackoroth686
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm 

People will probably kill me but Horgh came off as a bit of a douche. I got a photo with Abbath who was really nice and when I went to get a photo with him, accidently bumped Horgh and he looked like he was going to kill me.
Before this, I shook his hand and it hurt like hell, the man is full tanked up so I didn't want to piss him off.

Last edited by Jackoroth686 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 pm 

Putrid_Grind wrote:
Glen doesn't even take compliments, you tell them that you love his music and he doesn't say a word to you, or even look at you.

Sounds like he's just shy. Maybe if you were a little more understanding you could have made a new friend.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 pm 

Some of these guys might just be pissed that they got stuck doing autograph gigs.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm 

I've met and hanged out with Benton several times over the years and he's always been really cool. Same goes for Steve Asheim.
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
Putrid_Grind wrote:
Glen doesn't even take compliments, you tell them that you love his music and he doesn't say a word to you, or even look at you.

Sounds like he's just shy. Maybe if you were a little more understanding you could have made a new friend.

This is what I was thinking. If Glen were just some dude who bagged your groceries he'd probably have the exact same dispositon and be looked at as a"quiet type", but because he's a"rockstar" he's perceived as being a stuck up asshole.

Are people really expecting someone who makes such evil misanthropic music to be Mr.Gregarious?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next