Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:08 pm 

Samael's industrial metal era the only actual metal band's industrial music I listen to, I say they may have lost their metal around Reign of Light and regained it slightly around Solar Soul.

I do like Frontline Assembly, when it comes to Industrial music in general. At one point I considered industrial metal my favourite metal genre, until I noticed that the industrial metal bands I listened to weren't metal bands. So I just say I'm also a fan of industrial and hard rock. :P

Fpqxz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:59 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
I would say that industrial metal is WAY less limiting than something like black, death or thrash metal. What we generally term industrial metal can be more or less any fusion of electronic music and heavy metal.

Two of my favorite bands, Ensoph and Aborym could probably both be called industrial metal. Those two bands are worlds apart, just as an example.

FasterDisaster wrote:
Fpqxz wrote:
...it just that the genre is rather self-limiting; there's only so much you can do with it.

I think applying this term as exclusively to industrial metal is a rather large misstep, and a little bit of bullshit. Every genre of metal is self-limiting. That's what makes the subgenre what it is! Every subgenre of metal has a very set amount and specifications that qualify it for a particular subgenre. Industrial metal/electronic elements can be paired with almost any sub/genre of metal, which opens up the opportunities to create something new, four or five times as large as other subgenres. Self-limiting doesn't really make sense. The subgenre is huge, but you also have a lot of non-metal electronic bands doing interesting, hard-hitting shit akin to some contemporary industrial metal.

OK, maybe "self-limiting" was a poor choice of words. I was thinking more of the way it was during the 1990s than it is now. (This is what happens when I post half-asleep at 3 AM.) But I suppose that also poses the question, if industrial metal can overlap with any other genre of metal, to what extent is it really a separate subgenre? For example, some black metal bands use industrial influences, would they then be considered "black metal", "industrial metal", both, neither?

BTW, speaking of 1990s stuff, the first Skrew album, Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame is actually pretty badass, if you can get your hands on it.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm 

Fpqxz wrote:
OK, maybe "self-limiting" was a poor choice of words. I was thinking more of the way it was during the 1990s than it is now. (This is what happens when I post half-asleep at 3 AM.) But I suppose that also poses the question, if industrial metal can overlap with any other genre of metal, to what extent is it really a separate subgenre? For example, some black metal bands use industrial influences, would they then be considered "black metal", "industrial metal", both, neither?

It becomes industrial ____ metal. Fill in the blank with whatever it's blended with. The difference is that industrial metal itself has a particular style of composition, whereas when you get industrial black metal or industrial death metal or any of that you end up with a fusion genre. You wouldnt consider power metal to be a fake genre just because bands fuse it with speed metal now and then, would you?
Hehe, foreskins.

Degameth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:19 pm 

Not a huge fan of any industrial stuff in general, but I like some White Zombie who have industrial influences at least.

ravenschior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm 

Red Harvest has to be the best... Aborym mixes in some idustrial beats, but I'd have to classify them as black metal. Mysticum does wonders with a drum macine, but I'd still consider them black metal. Same goes with Black Funeral...

thornspawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 pm 

If you want some new shit in that vain check out Narthex. An amazing Industrial Metal band with lots of Thrash influences. http://www.myspace.com/narthex

WrathOfVishnu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm 

The Project Hate MCMXCIX. They are listed on the archives as Industrial Death metal. And i have to say, they are fucking amazing. Anyone else ever listen to them? If you are looking for a band that is still playing some industrial (or industrial influenced) metal, they are still playing the style. And very well, i might add.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 pm 

WrathOfVishnu wrote:
The Project Hate MCMXCIX. They are listed on the archives as Industrial Death metal. And i have to say, they are fucking amazing. Anyone else ever listen to them? If you are looking for a band that is still playing some industrial (or industrial influenced) metal, they are still playing the style. And very well, i might add.

They are ridiculously good. I remember hearing the first track from Armageddon March Eternal and it just kicked my ass. It literally just hits you right in the face and stays intense for twice as long as most death metal fans, all the while injecting a hundred times more diversity.

Jo is one of the best female vocalists in the genre as well.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 am 

lewman123 wrote:
Skinny Puppy

:durr:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2