Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:12 am 

Someone who is a fan of Amon Amarth stated to me that they believe the track "Thor Arise" from the demo "Thor Arise" is black metal. I'm interested to hear opinions on this because I've always believed it was death metal. I've never heard AA do anything remotely black metal, to be honest.

HellHog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:37 am 

It is death metal, and the only reason you have never heard them doing something remotely black metal is because they never did.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 am 

HellHog wrote:
It is death metal, and the only reason you have never heard them doing something remotely black metal is because they never did.

Exactly! Thanks, I shall relay this to the person that believes they are black metal. They said that the riffs are classic raw black metal, as well as the blast beats. :lol:

HellHog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 am 

Basically, your friend says blast beats only exist in black metal, as well as a little shredding here and there? Sorry, I forgot about that.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:57 am 

HellHog wrote:
Basically, your friend says blast beats only exist in black metal, as well as a little shredding here and there? Sorry, I forgot about that.

Basically he said because the song had blast beats and distorted riffs and the like it made it "classic raw black metal".

Moog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:08 pm 

Nah, vikings can't be black metal.

Unless you're Quorthon.

Amon do make some nice death metal, though!

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:19 pm 

They certainly do. :)

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:23 pm 

Moog wrote:
Nah, vikings can't be black metal.

Unless you're Quorthon.

Or Enslaved. Or Windir.

~Guest 190475
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:38 pm 

Noo, that is death metal. Very good song

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 pm 

Mulu wrote:
Noo, that is death metal. Very good song

Yep a good song, that's definate.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:08 pm 

Well, aside from tremelo riffs and some higher pitched shrieks here and there, Amon Amarth have nothing to suggest black metal about them.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:11 pm 

Amon Amarth's early style is akin to A Canorous Quintet, who also played in a style of thin production, tremolo riffs, and high pitched screams / roaring growls. I made comparisons in my reviews, but they're both still genuinely death metal with some black metal characteristics.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:15 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Well, aside from tremelo riffs and some higher pitched shrieks here and there, Amon Amarth have nothing to suggest black metal about them.

OzzyApu wrote:
Amon Amarth's early style is akin to A Canorous Quintet, who also played in a style of thin production, tremolo riffs, and high pitched screams / roaring growls. I made comparisons in my reviews, but they're both still genuinely death metal with some black metal characteristics.

Yeah, they do admittedly have some black metal characteristics, but certainly cannot be classed as black metal.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:23 pm 

The production is really raw on that demo and there's some blasting so I could see how it could be mistaken for black metal, but no, it's definitely death metal.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:56 pm 

Amon Amarth doing anything bm? Nah. Though when I first heard them, I kind of made that mistake too (in 01 or so) just because I wasn't really familiar with seperating sounds/qualifications of genres. Just tell him he's a noob, I'm sure that will go down well.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:18 pm 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Amon Amarth doing anything bm? Nah. Though when I first heard them, I kind of made that mistake too (in 01 or so) just because I wasn't really familiar with seperating sounds/qualifications of genres. Just tell him he's a noob, I'm sure that will go down well.

He'll call me a poser who knows fuck all about black metal again. :p

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:34 pm 

invoking_the_majesty wrote:

Tell him while wearing corpse paint.

Moog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:38 pm 

ngwoo wrote:

Lol'd.

Satantransvertdeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:02 am 

ngwoo wrote:

Hahahaha!

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:15 am 

ngwoo wrote:

:lol:

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 pm 

Amon Amarth certainly feature a few black metal aspects, especially in their earlier material (listen to "The Arrival of the Fimbul Winter" and tell that that isn't at least melodic black/death metal) but once they began to release full length albums, they basically started playing melodeath with tremolo riffs - still slightly black metal inspired, but definitely not black metal proper. Johan can also get some pretty raspy black metal-esqe vocals going on, especially in their earlier full-lengths, but by no means does this constitute AA as being black metal.

As an aside, TotTG is probably the furthest away from the main sound of their career, as they seemed to really embrace that distinct Gothenburg style as opposed to tremolo-picked melodic death metal. I am expecting them to likely move further down that path on their next album.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:15 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
As an aside, TotTG is probably the furthest away from the main sound of their career, as they seemed to really embrace that distinct Gothenburg style as opposed to tremolo-picked melodic death metal. I am expecting them to likely move further down that path on their next album.

That's weird, I just sampled TotTG to see what you were talking about and nearly every chorus is a tremolo-picked riff. Verses were pretty simple and slow riffs interspersed with gallops. This is all vintage Amon Amarth. I think that TotTG might have just been a victim of inconsistency.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

That's weird, I just sampled TotTG to see what you were talking about and nearly every chorus is a tremolo-picked riff. Verses were pretty simple and slow riffs interspersed with gallops. This is all vintage Amon Amarth. I think that TotTG might have just been a victim of inconsistency.

That's exactly what it was. It just wasn't up to their usual very high standard like that of Versus The World.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

I guess I forgot to add the addendum that it's more of a tremolo picked Gothenburg style than tremolo picked melodic death metal, if that would help clarify my stance on their newest release better?

And I did enjoy the release, but I've been really getting into AA's back catalog, and FUCK does Versus the World SLAY, even more than when I was first getting into this band a good 2 1/2 years ago!

3EyedGoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 am 

I just file 'em under Viking Metal myself. Great band!

Moog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 am 

3EyedGoat wrote:
I just file 'em under Viking Metal myself. Great band!
Their lyrical themes are geared towards vikings and whatnot, but they're not true viking metal. Bathory and Amon Amarth are highly different things. I'd keep them under the death metal category.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

That's exactly what it was. It just wasn't up to their usual very high standard like that of Versus The World.

What? That album sucked.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:06 am 

I usually just classify them under "fucking awesome"

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
MeltedFace wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

What? That album sucked.

Personally, I liked that album. But music taste is subjective. It doesn't intrinsically suck.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:29 am 

Obviously it's subjective, but by me saying it sucked, it only meant I thought it sucked. I shouldn't even have to say that. It should be obvious.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
MeltedFace wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

What? That album sucked.

Personally, I liked that album. But music taste is subjective. It doesn't intrinsically suck.

I actually preferd TOTTG to Versus the World myself. But I don't think either of them suck.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.