Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Castian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 am 

Are there any other genres of metal that have clean vocals other than power metal, or power metal influenced stuff?

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:16 am 

err Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Melodic Death(sometimes), Gothic Metal, Traditional Doom Metal, Industrial/Electronic Metal, Folk/Viking

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:16 am 

Opeth... i guess its not all clean but michael... i forget how to spell his last name, has a really great clean voice as well as his growls.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 am 

Power, Progressive, Doom, Symphonic, Viking, Folk, Gothic, Glam, Melodic Death, Nu, Alternative, Funk, Rap, Stoner, Sludge, Industrial, Thrash, Crossover Thrash, Speed, Epic, Neo-Classical, Metalcore, Mathcore, Avante Garde, Groove, and many other genres/styles of metal, both recognized and not recognized by the Metal Archives, have been known to employ clean vocals regularly.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:33 pm 

Why is Nu (insert anything except Metal here) on there? I saw "not recognized by the Metal Archives" but TC asked genres of Metal not pseudo attempts at Metal. On a similar note Rap (see first parantheses) falls in the same category, and Viking Metal is about the image and lyrical themes not the music.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm 

Castian wrote:
Are there any other genres of metal that have clean vocals other than power metal, or power metal influenced stuff?

I think you'll find that clean vocals are an element of power metal because of the influence of other (earlier) genres, not the other way around.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:20 pm 

It depends on the band itself. I'm sure you can find a band in almost any sub-genre of metal who uses clean vocals somewhere in one of their songs.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:22 pm 

I wouldn't say all that stuff has all clean vocals, sometimes they are a little raspy, but not as textured as growls. Even some power metal vocals are not all that clean.

But I would say mainly power metal, some gothic metal (edit:as far as male vocals are concerned, the female vocals are almost always clean), some progressive, some folk metal, and of course cheesy melodic death turned commercial, probably some metalcore I guess, I don't know I don't listen to it.

Last edited by elf48687789 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:50 pm 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
Why is Nu (insert anything except Metal here) on there? I saw "not recognized by the Metal Archives" but TC asked genres of Metal not pseudo attempts at Metal. On a similar note Rap (see first parantheses) falls in the same category, and Viking Metal is about the image and lyrical themes not the music.

Not all rap-based "metal" is nu metal. Viking metal is also a distinct genre, not just a lyrical theme.

I was making the point that no matter how you look at it, clean vocals are all over the place in metal and "pseudo-metal" alike. He shouldn't limit himself to just power metal if he wants clean vocals. (I'm not saying every genre I listed is good, of course.)

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm 

Really, any genre could use them. Symphonic and traditional genres would have them more prominently, I guess.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
Viking metal is also a distinct genre, not just a lyrical theme.

Folk metal is a distinct genre, viking metal is usually just folk metal with lyrics about vikings / Norse mythology. What exactly would make music sound "Viking"? Vikings probably played bongos or something.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:08 pm 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
...Viking Metal is about the image and lyrical themes not the music.

Yeah if you think Amon Amarth = Viking Metal.

Viking Metal is actually a genre, you could think of it as a precursor to Folk Metal.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm 

ngwoo wrote:
heavymetalbackwards wrote:
Viking metal is also a distinct genre, not just a lyrical theme.

Folk metal is a distinct genre, viking metal is usually just folk metal with lyrics about vikings / Norse mythology. What exactly would make music sound "Viking"? Vikings probably played bongos or something.

In my interpretation of metal genres, as well as this website's, Viking metal predates folk metal as a distinct genre.

Viking metal to me means Bathory's viking stuff and its successors. It has its roots in North American Power Metal (mostly Manowar) as well as early black metal.

Folk metal is a more 90's genre with Skyclad and such bands.

Medicinmannen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:24 pm 

Quote:
I'm sure you can find a band in almost any sub-genre of metal who uses clean vocals somewhere in one of their songs.

That's true, you may even find Black Metal bands with more or less clean vocals like Isengard, or some tracks by Lifelover (Cancertid) for example. You may even consider the vocals of Inquisition to be "clean" - monotonous goat-vocals, but still clean.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.