Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 190475
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 am 

Black Sabbath of course, creators of HEAVY METAL!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:18 pm 

We are spoiled now to have all these metal bands to choose from today. Back in the early 70's, there was pretty much only Sabbath(and perhaps Deep Purple) to choose from if you wanted to hear the metal as we still enjoy it today.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 am 

awm wrote:
I like Zeppelin but I don't think people have perspective.

When Led Zeppelin's first album came out, The Beatles had already released Helter Skelter. The Jimi Hendrix Experience had already released all three of their albums. Blue Cheer and Cream had released some of their best. And as the Rolling Stones, though it's not their 'heaviest', had already released an album entitled Her Satanic Majesty's Request. Heaviness and imagery were abound.

Just for the record, Helter Skelter isn't heavy...at all.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
morbert wrote:
And yes, the 'horns-claim' from Dio totally falls on its face after seeing this album cover indeed...

Dio's never claimed to have invented the horns, he merely introduced them to the metal crowd. It was actually a common gesture in Italy, called the malocchio, which allows you to either protect yourself from someone giving you the evil eye or to cast the evil eye on someone else. Dio picked the gesture up from his grandmother.

Damn straight. I'm fucking sick of hearing people say that, "OMG DIO MADE THE DEVIL HORRNNS FUCK YEH!1~9". I remember seeing an interview in which Dio makes it clear as day that he did not create the horns, that he only brought them into metal (as you have stated).

But to add my 5 cents to this worthless fanboy vs fanboy thread, I'd say that Black Sabbath were the first metal band.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Just for the record, Helter Skelter isn't heavy...at all.

At best Helter skelter can be called hard rock. Not heavy in conventional terms but relatively speaking there was nothing as rough and dirty sounding at the time.

fucking_hostile428
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 am 

Good ol' Sabbath ofcourse. No denying Led Zeppelins influence on the genre but Sabbath took a step up and truly stood up and created the greatest genre of music the world has ever seen.

Pierrepoint
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 am 

Black Sabbath had the riffs, Led Zeppelin had more range and better songs, but Deep Purple had the most power on stage. It's funny how people try to argue which band was the Godfathers Of Metal, when all three bands hated the heavy metal tag and considered themselves first and foremost as rock bands.

Hard to pinpoint who was the most influential, Sabbath sounds more like most metal bands you hear nowadays, but maybe it was Jimmy Page who inspired more young guitarists than Tony Iommi

I also think the classic image of the 80's metal vocalist with the big hair, bare chest and the sock stuffed down the front of his pants owes more of a debt to Robert Plant than Ozzy.

Black Sabbath used the god-fearing/satanic imagery, but Led Zep sang about sex, mysticism, swords and sorcery, themes still prevalent in metal today.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:51 am 

Black Sabbath any time because the songs were from another planet for the period. The evilness and the dark touch were something completely new at the time...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 am 

One other thing these two bands can compete in is off stage stories. There is that famous story of the Zepp dudes with the shark and the groupie. And Jimmy Page is notorious for his drinking binges after a show.
And then we got Ozzy once taking a shit in an elevator during the Sabbath days.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3