Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:24 pm 

A description taken from doom-metal website:

On their first album, they mix slow, dark, heavy doom-metal with psychotic "blackish" screams and keyboards. On the second album, the black screams have been replaced by haunting whispers, creating a very bleak and empty atmosphere. Their third release, their split with Shining, is a more intensely industrial noise influenced piece of music, which still keeps the doom/black aspects that Dolorian has always had.

What do people think of Dolorian? They are one of my personal favorites. Ive been playing Voidwards for a very long time. The same goes for their self-titled. Today I finally bought When All The Laughter Has Gone.

They create music that has a really deranged and evil vibe to it, without having to resort to being brutal or anything. They combine ambient passages - take the phenomenal The Flow Of Seething Visions for example - with psychedelic touches and full onslaught metal passages (the beginning of Epoch Of Cyclosure is a testimony to that).

A Dolorian song can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5264L7XGdpM

They are probably not for everyone, so im quite curious as to see how else likes them. A Dolorian record is a challenge each time again, but that's part of the fun. When you start getting used to their sound, you'll be hooked. I took me over a year to appreciate their latest effort Voidwards, but now it hardly leaves my CD player anymore.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:33 pm 

I like them fairly well. I think Voidwards is quite good, I also have the s/t which I like somewhat less. Not one of my favorites but definitely worth a spin now and again.

I see they (finally) updated their site (not much of one though) after posting news they were planning on an EP two years ago.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:34 pm 

I am a big fan of Voidwards. It was an album I had to own and eventually ordered it online. In fact I haven't posted here in several months... look what this thread made me do! I like the mistic-doomy feel of it (thats what I feel, personally) as well as the hints of other genres in there. The first time I heard it I wasn't impressed at all, then a song came on randomly and I was in a perfect mood and it struck me. Whats their other material like compaired to Voidwards?

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:22 am 

pwd666 wrote:
I am a big fan of Voidwards. It was an album I had to own and eventually ordered it online. In fact I haven't posted here in several months... look what this thread made me do! I like the mistic-doomy feel of it (thats what I feel, personally) as well as the hints of other genres in there. The first time I heard it I wasn't impressed at all, then a song came on randomly and I was in a perfect mood and it struck me. Whats their other material like compaired to Voidwards?

When All The Laughter Has Gone is pretty similar to Voidwards. It features the same type of vocals, except it doesn't have the really low growls. I can't comment that much yet and make a good comparison. Ive only heard their debut one time (yesterday), but it seemed to have quite some similarities with Voidwards, which as far as im concerned is a good thing. Their self-titled has the most mystic feel and sound of them all. It just features whispers all the way through and is oppressive as fuck.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:27 pm 

Voidwards is an artistic mindfuck.
I don't listen to it that often, since I have to be in the right mood to appreciate it, but every time I do, the experience is overwhelming.
It can be bizarrely soothing and chillingly disturbing at the same time, it's that brilliant.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.